PDA

View Full Version : 4th highest payroll?

getonbckthr
05-03-2006, 04:49 PM
According to mlb4u.com the White Sox have the 4th highest payroll. Is that possible?

Baby Fisk
05-03-2006, 04:51 PM
According to mlb4u.com the White Sox have the 4th highest payroll. Is that possible?
It is! $$linky$$ (http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2006)

spiffie
05-03-2006, 04:58 PM
It is both true and misleading. It does not factor in cash from other teams to pay for player contracts. We are getting money towards Vazquez, Contreras, and Thome, which lowers our payroll by a meaningful amount.

getonbckthr
05-03-2006, 05:08 PM
It is both true and misleading. It does not factor in cash from other teams to pay for player contracts. We are getting money towards Vazquez, Contreras, and Thome, which lowers our payroll by a meaningful amount.
Oh ok that makes sense. Thanks.

CPditka
05-03-2006, 05:11 PM

Yeah the real payroll can be seen here, about 95 mil (http://www.southsidesox.com/special/White-Sox-Payroll-Info)

itsnotrequired
05-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Sox are getting about $8 million this year alone for Thome and Vazquez. Does anyone know how much they got for Contreras?

IlliniSox4Life
05-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Sox are getting about $8 million this year alone for Thome and Vazquez. Does anyone know how much they got for Contreras?

According to that South Side Sox site's payroll listing that CPditka posted, it's 2 million in cash they got. I don't know how accurate it is though, becaue I was keeping a list of their payroll, and I had Contreras tabbed at 6m this year, while they have him at 9 mil with 2 mil in cash. So I'd say either 2 or 3. I don't think everything on that South Side Sox payroll that was posted is right, but it's close enough.

Baby Fisk
05-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Does this mean the USA today listings are bunk?

itsnotrequired
05-03-2006, 05:26 PM
According to that South Side Sox site's payroll listing that CPditka posted, it's 2 million in cash they got. I don't know how accurate it is though, becaue I was keeping a list of their payroll, and I had Contreras tabbed at 6m this year, while they have him at 9 mil with 2 mil in cash. So I'd say either 2 or 3. I don't think everything on that South Side Sox payroll that was posted is right, but it's close enough.

That number for Thome seems low. Didn't the Sox get something like $22 million from the Phillies? Spread out over four years, that's $5.5 million a year for Thome alone.

spiffie
05-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Does this mean the USA today listings are bunk?
Nah, just simplistic. Our payroll is $103 million this year, as we will be writing out checks for that amount to our players. It just doesn't tabulate that we're given $10-12 million by other teams.

miker
05-03-2006, 05:33 PM
I can't believe that someone would misrepresent a set facts to match their preconceived ideas or agenda...its like they're the Tribune or something!

Tekijawa
05-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Nah, just simplistic. Our payroll is $103 million this year, as we will be writing out checks for that amount to our players. It just doesn't tabulate that we're given $10-12 million by other teams.

I would assume that the money we got from other teams was a lump sum payout and therefore is collecting interest compounded over time. I woudl hope with a sum as high as $12 Million that we are Getting a good interest rate on it sitting in the bank... Our Payroll numbers could be significanlty lower than any one imagined!

caulfield12
05-03-2006, 05:51 PM
The average for Thome is much higher. The money were getting for Thome was over 3 years, not 4.

Im also sure we are actually getting more money next year ($2 million this season, $3 million next) for Vazquez, as he will cost us $10 million this year and $9.0 million next season, from what Ive been able to determine.

Its one of the reasons KW was able to part with Chris Young, along with Gio and Haigwood. $27 million is a lot of cash, between those two deals.

Seems likely that Garcia is the obvious choice to leave, which makes a surprise just as likely!

getonbckthr
05-03-2006, 05:57 PM
The average for Thome is much higher. The money were getting for Thome was over 3 years, not 4.

Im also sure we are actually getting more money next year ($2 million this season, $3 million next) for Vazquez, as he will cost us $10 million this year and $9.0 million next season, from what Ive been able to determine.

Its one of the reasons KW was able to part with Chris Young, along with Gio and Haigwood. $27 million is a lot of cash, between those two deals.

Seems likely that Garcia is the obvious choice to leave, which makes a surprise just as likely!
I wonder would the Argonauts offer a nice package to make Freddy their QB in CFL? With rumor of Ricky Williams wanting to be their RB, their backfield could have a HIGH ceiling for potential. Sorry bad joke.

jabrch
05-04-2006, 12:47 AM
I haven't said it in a long time...but this just goes to show you that the Sox are still Cheap and Stupid.

IlliniSox4Life
05-04-2006, 03:11 AM
That number for Thome seems low. Didn't the Sox get something like $22 million from the Phillies? Spread out over four years, that's $5.5 million a year for Thome alone.

I had Thome marked down as being payed 7 million a year by us, and if his contract is 12.5, then it would be 5.5 mil in cash we got towards this year, not 4.5 like that site said. So, you're right, 22 million over 4 years sounds right and it matches up with what I had him making.

Either way, we got a bargain for Thome, Contreras, and Vazquez. I should take Kenny with me if I ever go to the flea market! He can spot a deal!