PDA

View Full Version : Question about the ball itself

Chicken Dinner
05-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Do you ever wonder why when a baseball is thrown by the pitcher to the catcher and it barely grazes the ground, the catcher gives it to the ump and the ball is taken out of service. But, when then ball is thrown by the pitcher, smacked by the batter, two hopped to the shortstop, and then scooped out of the dirt by the first basemen it's good to be thrown around the horn and used for the next pitch?

Crede_Fan
05-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Do you ever wonder why when a baseball is thrown by the pitcher to the catcher and it barely grazes the ground, the catcher gives it to the ump and the ball is taken out of service. But, when then ball is thrown by the pitcher, smacked by the batter, two hopped to the shortstop, and then scooped out of the dirt by the first basemen it's good to be thrown around the horn and used for the next pitch?

I wonder that all the time. It's kinda crazy.

SaltyPretzel
05-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Hawk was talking about that a few days ago and had no answer.

daveeym
05-03-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm pulling this totally out of my ass but I'm going with that a thrown ball into the dirt leaves a dirt mark on it. It would take too long to give it a quick rub up and put back into play every few pitches so it gets thrown aside and a ball boy rubs it out and it's put back into the box of game balls. Now a ball put in play gets thrown around hit's a few gloves, is grabbed and rubbed on it's own so any dirt mark is going to be rubbed out on its own.

ILuvThatDuck
05-03-2006, 04:22 PM
The ball boy does what to it???????:redface:

MisterB
05-03-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm pulling this totally out of my ass but I'm going with that a thrown ball into the dirt leaves a dirt mark on it. It would take too long to give it a quick rub up and put back into play every few pitches so it gets thrown aside and a ball boy rubs it out and it's put back into the box of game balls. Now a ball put in play gets thrown around hit's a few gloves, is grabbed and rubbed on it's own so any dirt mark is going to be rubbed out on its own.

Interesting theory...anyone wanna volunteer to do ball boy surveillance at the next Sox home game and give us a report?

batmanZoSo
05-03-2006, 04:37 PM

[self-edit--it's just not worth it. it was good stuff though :thumbsup:] :o:

twentywontowin
05-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Probably because the ball gets scuffed or could be scuffed, and that would give the pitcher an unfair advantage. Think of it as a nail file.

getonbckthr
05-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Is another 3 month banning worth the obvious jokes? 4 months ago yes, but I like to think I matured.

TDog
05-03-2006, 05:06 PM
It is amazing to consider that some games at the beginning of the 20th center were played using only one ball. It is for the safety of hitters that balls were first out. Now it is for the benefit of the hitters.

A pitcher who gets a ball after it's been hit may have no problem with using it, particularly if it has been discolored or damaged. The umpire doesn't look at the ball after every hit.

Sometimes, I'm sure, balls are thrown out due to the cumulative effects of play.

1951Campbell
05-03-2006, 05:09 PM
[self-edit--it's just not worth it. it was good stuff though :thumbsup:] :o:

I think I average 4 "not worth its" a day. :D:

daveeym
05-04-2006, 10:10 AM
It is amazing to consider that some games at the beginning of the 20th center were played using only one ball. It is for the safety of hitters that balls were first out. Now it is for the benefit of the hitters.

A pitcher who gets a ball after it's been hit may have no problem with using it, particularly if it has been discolored or damaged. The umpire doesn't look at the ball after every hit.

Sometimes, I'm sure, balls are thrown out due to the cumulative effects of play.Actually discoloration usually helps the batter, it gives them another focal point on the ball to read it's spin bitter.

voodoochile
05-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Actually discoloration usually helps the batter, it gives them another focal point on the ball to read it's spin bitter.

Yeah, but any veteran pitcher with half a brain can use a scuff mark to his advantage.

Scuffing the ball on the ground is pretty close to using an emory board on it.

daveeym
05-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah, but any veteran pitcher with half a brain can use a scuff mark to his advantage.

Scuffing the ball on the ground is pretty close to using an emory board on it. Agreed, that's why I only mentioned/contradicted him on discoloration. :wink: