PDA

View Full Version : My Cleveland Experience

Garland_IS_God
05-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Ok so I went to yesterdays game and I gotta say it was a great time. Cleveland fans were not what I was expecting at all. I was expecting to get harassed for wearing my green Sox Thome jersey and my buddy had an old Albert Belle Sox jersey but it wasnt even like that. I was razzing them a little bit and they were razzing me back but it was in all in fun. I kept showing them my replica World Series ring everytime they said Sox Suck to me and my buddies...it was hilarious. I went to a bar right down the street from Jacobs Field and sat down with a group of Tribe fans who were really nice. Again I got razzed a bit and of course did some razzing as well. After the bar we were approcahed by scalpers if we had seats to the game. They offered to trade 3 tix right behind the Sox dugout for our bleacher tix and an extra $35 in cash...I had a bad feeling about it but I made the deal. When we saw how sweet the seats were it made the trip worth while. I only wish I brought my camera. The only thing that dampedned the trip was the weather. I think we may have brought the rain with us from Chicago. :tongue:

Chip Z'nuff
05-03-2006, 03:23 PM
I've been out to the jake a few times and always had a good time. Likewise whenever I'm at the game and I sit next to someone from out of town who is rooting for their team, I will give them a hard time but only in a fun way. (I can tell the people who are from out of town vs some idiot cub fan in a jersey they just bought in the parking lot, as the demenor of the fan from out of town is always cordial and polite.)

C-Dawg
05-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Glad to hear they were reasonably nice to you - the Tribe fans harassed and swore at me when I was there last October. But having just been bumped out of playoff contention (read - choked) they were a little bit frustrated. Granted I was an easy target, being all by myself with my '83 jersey - I couldn't have attracted more attention had I worn a clown costume.

:cool:

05-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Were they Thome boo'ers? Diod they give any insight on why they really felt the need to boo him?

Garland_IS_God
05-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Were they Thome boo'ers? Diod they give any insight on why they really felt the need to boo him?

There was a drunk fan a few rows behind us who kept saying sloppy seconds whenever I walked passed with my Thome jersey. An Indian fan that I was next to said he felt ashamed for the city of Cleveland when they booed him on Monday.

Banix12
05-03-2006, 03:40 PM
There are always a bad apple or two in a crowd but I have to say I've been to Cleveland many times to see games and my experience has almost always been positive. Fun stadium to watch a game in, 95% of the crowd around me was incredibly nice and friendly, and you get that great ballpark mustard on your hot dogs.

WhiteSox1983
05-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Is Jacobs field nice? .... This guy I work with is from cleveland, and he says the field is nice... but the town itself is a wasteland.

Nellie_Fox
05-03-2006, 03:56 PM
...my '83 jersey - I couldn't have attracted more attention had I worn a clown costume.My opinion of the '83 uniform is that they are pretty much the same thing.

Chip Z'nuff
05-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Is Jacobs field nice? .... This guy I work with is from cleveland, and he says the field is nice... but the town itself is a wasteland.
Not much in cleveland proper except the flats "Yawn". Head East to Sandusky and take a ferry boat out to put-in-bay. That's a wild time!

Garland_IS_God
05-03-2006, 04:16 PM

The stadium is very nice. Outside is another story. There were a lot of panhandlers in the parking lots. I couldn't give them any money cause I was low on cash, but I did give them a couple beers.

Garland_IS_God
05-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Not much in cleveland proper except the flats "Yawn". Head East to Sandusky and take a ferry boat out to put-in-bay. That's a wild time!

My buddy kept talking about the flats. What exactly is it?

Chip Z'nuff
05-03-2006, 05:35 PM

It's an old warehouse district that was converted to nightclubs and restaurants in the 80's. The once interesting and exciting destination has become cliche and overdone. It's still more fun than getting kicked in the stomach though.

miker
05-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Part of me admires you for actually wanting to go to Cleveland...

itsnotrequired
05-03-2006, 05:43 PM
It's an old warehouse district that was converted to nightclubs and restaurants in the 80's. The once interesting and exciting destination has become cliche and overdone. It's still more fun than getting kicked in the stomach though.

http://www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/01/norris.gif

*observing silently*

Martinigirl
05-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Did you happen to notice what the media in Cleveland had to say about the fans reaction to Thome? I was wondering if they agreed with the booing or not.

bnlfanmatt
05-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Did you happen to notice what the media in Cleveland had to say about the fans reaction to Thome? I was wondering if they agreed with the booing or not.

Well, Phil Jackson's brother had this to say:
Don't make Thome the bad guy (http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports/1146559018175410.xml?s1bud&coll=2)

And these two:
Thome's greeting grates on Tribe Fan (http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports/1146645222236420.xml?sxoth&coll=2)

WS in 05
05-03-2006, 11:33 PM
last year when I went some scalper tried to sell us some tickets and walk us to the gate and I was like you don't need to walk us anywhere and my cousin,a sox fan from cleveland originally from chicago, said yea he should walk us to the gate....neverthe less we didn't buy the tickets but my cousin told me the scumbags there try to sell you fake tickets other than that we had a good time

MadetoOrta
05-03-2006, 11:47 PM
I hope all Sox fans understand the importance of doing the right thing for the greatest player in Sox history - Frank Thomas. I can almost assure you the media expects us to boo him out of the Cell. Please don't.

Garland_IS_God
05-04-2006, 12:00 AM
last year when I went some scalper tried to sell us some tickets and walk us to the gate and I was like you don't need to walk us anywhere and my cousin,a sox fan from cleveland originally from chicago, said yea he should walk us to the gate....neverthe less we didn't buy the tickets but my cousin told me the scumbags there try to sell you fake tickets other than that we had a good time

Yeah I was very hesitant. I was thinking how pissed off I will be if the tickets were fake. My buddy was in front of me and as soon as I seen him get inside I was so relieved. The seats were the greatest!

elrod
05-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Ironically, one reason the Flats lost momentum was because the Tribe stopped selling out ballgames. When fans jammed Jacobs Field, they would usually head over to the Flats before or afterwards. Since the early 2000s, fans haven't been going over there as much, and the development has slowed down a lot. What's left is mostly cheezy crap, with a few cool rock clubs (most of which date to before the gentrification of the 90s). Cleveland needs to spruce up a lot more neighborhoods than the Flats, otherwise it will go back to the bad old days of the 1970s.

chidonez
05-04-2006, 12:41 AM
but the town itself is a wasteland.

As someone who grew up in a smug town on the west coast and discovered the midwest in my early adult years, I feel bad when I hear about towns like Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I have visited both, and most of the other classic cities in the region. They're great places with a lot of history. It's too bad they just aren't positioned well (in the strategic sense) to compete in today's economy. Oh well, enough of the sentimentality...

MrRoboto83
05-04-2006, 02:19 AM
As someone who grew up in a smug town on the west coast and discovered the midwest in my early adult years, I feel bad when I hear about towns like Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I have visited both, and most of the other classic cities in the region. They're great places with a lot of history. It's too bad they just aren't positioned well (in the strategic sense) to compete in today's economy. Oh well, enough of the sentimentality...

I think Detroit is the biggest example of this.

MrRoboto83
05-04-2006, 02:19 AM

I think Detroit is the biggest example of this.

Cat Thief
05-04-2006, 09:19 AM

There is really nothing left in the Flats except a couple of strip clubs.

It is a dirty ass town but a really nice park. I couldn't wait to get out of there! It is a five hour ride that I will never have to make again! The one bright spot of the city was seeing the USS Cod, a retired WWII sub.

ohiosoxfan12
05-04-2006, 09:37 AM
You were lucky not to get harrassed. My son is 17 and he wore his Konerko jersey and people were all over him. Oh well i'm going to the series this month and if anyone gives him crap, hes gonna point to the patch. :smile:

EastCoastSoxFan
05-04-2006, 10:12 AM
When I was at Jacobs Field at the series right after the All-Star break last season, the fans I interacted with were all pretty nice. Of course, that was long before Cleveland was anywhere close to being in the division race.
Also, for some reason I ended up talking with a few of the stadium employees (ushers, concession stand workers); and they were also unusually nice.
But I have a feeling if I'm there at the end of September this season and the division is still up for grabs it might be a slightly different scene...

woodsdavid
05-04-2006, 10:15 AM
went to last game of 05 regular season at jake w/ my dad and my bro.
bought tix in july not knowing how close the finish would be.
tribe fans were (mostly) great. people in seats near us were great. really friendly. some drunks after the game were obnoxious, screaming that the angels and redsox were going to kill us in the playoff. i doubt they have any recollection of how wrong they were.

some usual good natured razzing too:
tribe fan in bathroom: here come the sox fans w/ the weak bladders
me: yeah, i have to keep coming here from drinking all of that champagne
tribe fan:

it was nice to have division locked up already

what was weird was how deathly quiet it was when the sox were scoring. this game could have put cleveland in the wild card if the bosox lost and it was like a morgue in there.

park is great w/ nice view of cleveland skyline. fact you can walk to park from downtown/hotels is AWESOME. highly recommend a road trip to the jake.

PaulDrake
05-04-2006, 10:27 AM
As someone who grew up in a smug town on the west coast and discovered the midwest in my early adult years, I feel bad when I hear about towns like Cleveland and Pittsburgh. I have visited both, and most of the other classic cities in the region. They're great places with a lot of history. It's too bad they just aren't positioned well (in the strategic sense) to compete in today's economy. Oh well, enough of the sentimentality... The decline of the Rust Belt is one of the saddest developments in my lifetime. It created a diaspora, millions of us Rust Belters living in places we have little or nothing in common with.

gobears1987
05-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Is Jacobs field nice? .... This guy I work with is from cleveland, and he says the field is nice... but the town itself is a wasteland.It's the mistake by the lake

Chip Z'nuff
05-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Agreed, all in all, cleveland ain't bad, the rock n roll hall of fame is not impressive but worth taking a look at, the stadium is cool, don't get your hopes up about it being the greatest trip of your life though. On your ride home try to spend a day at Cedar Point for some pretty cool roller coasters.
Then when you get home write Mayor Daley & Jerry Reinsdorf a letter thanking them for the great city/team we have!

thepaulbowski
05-04-2006, 11:02 AM
I went to the Bears/Browns game with a buddy from Cleveland last year. It was right after the Sox won the ALDS, so I wore my Payton jersey & a Sox hat. I had more comments about my hat than the Bears jersey. It was hilarious. I had quite a few hot dog wrappers and peanuts throw at me. A few proceeded to tell me what a bum Ozzie was. That was when I did the Ozzie "choke" sign and smiled.

I had a good time in Cleveland, then again, I usually do have a good time when I go out partying.

robinohio2
05-07-2006, 10:40 AM
The Flats, as they used to be, were shut down because of political reasons. The bars were right on the river and some one fell into the water and died. So now the only thing that is left is the Wharehouse district which is still a good time, but they are in fact rebuilding the flats. I don't know what the plans for the flats are but it's quite a project.

WikdChiSoxFan
05-07-2006, 01:06 PM
It's the mistake by the lake

This was the nickname for their previous field. Not the Jake. (I believe.)

ilsox7
05-07-2006, 02:51 PM
This was the nickname for their previous field. Not the Jake. (I believe.)

Yea. The Jake is a GREAT place to watch a ballgame. And Cleveland, IMO, a good place to live. It's cheap as hell and there is plenty to do. It can't top Chicago, but I enjoyed my time there.

Nellie_Fox
05-07-2006, 02:56 PM
This was the nickname for their previous field. Not the Jake. (I believe.)It's the nickname for the city, not the ballpark.

Trav
05-07-2006, 03:23 PM

Here is some insight: Before he left for more money in Phily, he made Damon-like comments about wanting to stay and about money not being an important factor in his FA process.

I will say this, his no-trade clause excluded teams in Chicago and Cleveland. That's pretty cool.