PDA

View Full Version : Who do we owe the most gratitude to for the WS Championship ?

White Sox Randy
05-03-2006, 12:50 PM
From one cataclysmic event sprang forth the White Sox opportunity to win the World Series. Without this event, the chances would have been almost nil.

We owe this one man, our gratitude. Were it not for he and his greed, we would not be celebrating today.

Jagglio, THIS BUDS FOR YOU ! I can never thank you enough for turning down that big stack-o-money that KW offered you and offended you with.

Even after you blew your knee out, he still tried to stick you with all that dough. Thank you for not taking it so the Sox could get about 6 more players instead that brought home the championship to Chicago and forever changed the landscape of Chicago baseball.

You da man, Jaggs !

Hangar18
05-03-2006, 12:51 PM
The Starting Pitchers
Paul Konerko
Joe Crede

in that order

Baby Fisk
05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Ozzie Guillen. It was almost a train wreck in September. He never seemed to panic when the dark clouds were massing all around, and the train stayed on the tracks (what a brutal mixed metaphor, but it's too late to turn this horse back because it's already out of the pool!).

Chip Z'nuff
05-03-2006, 12:57 PM
AJ > If he doesn't put up the right numbers we are sunk

jenn2080
05-03-2006, 01:00 PM
The whole team...Lets not discriminate. Everyone had their part.

skottyj242
05-03-2006, 01:01 PM
The person whom we most owe for the World Series?

Hangar.

1951Campbell
05-03-2006, 01:03 PM
In the macro sense, KW.

FedEx227
05-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Didn't you listen to Carl Everett...

Timo Perez, Willie Harris and Crazy Carl.

Or in the real world where dinosaurs exist, everybody. Everyone did their part, thats the true definition of champions.

kittle42
05-03-2006, 01:28 PM
The title of this thread should have "Whom" and not "Who."

LongLiveFisk
05-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Kenny Williams for building the team.
The team for making it happen.

Chicken Dinner
05-03-2006, 01:46 PM
The fans.....no fans, no money, no players, no WS.

Baby Fisk
05-03-2006, 01:46 PM
The title of this thread should have "Whom" and not "Who."
Structurally, shouldn't it be: To whom do we owe the most gratitude for the WS Championship?

MarySwiss
05-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Structurally, shouldn't it be: To whom do we owe the most gratitude for the WS Championship?
That's how I'd do it. :cool:

TheDarkGundam
05-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Charles Comiskey...or if you want, Abner Doubleday.

Uncle_Patrick
05-03-2006, 02:32 PM
The Starting Pitchers
Paul Konerko
Joe Crede

in that order

What about Jermaine Dye, our World Series MVP?

The Critic
05-03-2006, 02:50 PM
That's how I'd do it. :cool:

I'd go with "Thank who we Sox fans gratitudinally say hooray for Series win by Sox player guys???"

Of course, I'm a linguist at heart.....the world is my canvas and words are my.....canvas......stuff to color......with.

ws05champs
05-03-2006, 03:04 PM

WS needs to be spelled out (World Series).

HitMan_naMtiH
05-03-2006, 03:11 PM
I think the whole organization needs to be accredited..from the players unity and good health over the season to management making crucial decisions!!:wink:

SOXPHILE
05-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Me. My watching all those games on T.V. and in person, living and dying with each pitch, and cheering them on that whole year is what made the difference in 2005. My rapid following of this team is what finally tipped the scales in their favor and brought home the WS Championship. (Should this be in teal ? No...well, maybe...no, it shouldn't)

Hitmen77
05-03-2006, 03:38 PM
From one cataclysmic event sprang forth the White Sox opportunity to win the World Series. Without this event, the chances would have been almost nil.....

You da man, Jaggs !

I agree with all the credit being given on this thread, but I get your point Randy about this one event setting in motion the run to the world championship.

How ironic that Magglio getting Boras and getting a huge contract elsewhere helped turned the Sox into champs. If we had kept Maggs, we'd have no Dye, no AJ, no Iguchi, no El Duque. In other words, no postseason.

ma-gaga
05-03-2006, 04:52 PM
AJ Pierzynski. No doubt. :gulp:

Chip Z'nuff
05-03-2006, 04:55 PM
I agree with all the credit being given on this thread, but I get your point Randy about this one event setting in motion the run to the world championship.

How ironic that Magglio getting Boras and getting a huge contract elsewhere helped turned the Sox into champs. If we had kept Maggs, we'd have no Dye, no AJ, no Iguchi, no El Duque. In other words, no postseason.
Well the real ironic event that put the wheels in motion for a world series win was the White Flag Trade (http://www2.jsonline.com/sports/brew/jul00/sox17071600.asp)

miker
05-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Everyone: owner, staff, coaches, players, fans...they each played a part. A little luck didn't hurt either...

...and would it offend anyone if I thanked God for this as well?

ILuvThatDuck
05-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Willie Harris for knocking out Maggs and setting the wheels in motion for the 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX.

White Sox Randy
05-04-2006, 01:24 PM

Yes, you are correct,but I was in a hurry. Then when I looked up and saw the title, I wanted to edit it to " To whom do we owe the most gratitude for the Sox championship ?". And I tried but it wouldn't change - atleast not the way the text changes. So, I was stuck with it.

Anyway, I can't help it. So often, when I think about how incredible last year was, I think about Ordonez. No way do we even make the post season if he re-signs with the Sox.

I was one of the few people that was excited when rumors of his being traded where thrown around.Although I always was a fan of Maggs, I simply didn't think that he was worth the money that he was demanding. And although he was a good citizen, he seemed to me like one of those players that would always be unhappy with his contract.

Ofcourse, the trade for Andru Jones would have worked out better than for Nomar. But, if Jaggs (as he will forever remain for me now) had signed, we would have been lucky to finish .500 last year - and our future would not be bright at all. Think about it - stuck paying him $ 15 mil. a year on what would probably be a $ 70-75 mil. budget. No re-signing Garland or Contreras. Who is our catcher ? Is Willie Harris our second sacker ? What would our rotation be next year ? Etc.

THANK YOU SO MUCH JAGGS - I LOVE YOU.

MadetoOrta
05-05-2006, 08:22 AM
I personally thanked former Governor Thompson before Game 1 of the ALCS. If he doesn't squeeze the lawmakers to make the deal for the Cell, we'd all be in a living hell right now. I would have raised my kids to be Cardinals fans.

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2006, 09:10 AM
In 2004, the Sox were in first place or contending for first until both Frank and Maggs got hurt. Ozzie was getting maximum value out of the admittedly flawed team for the first half of the season. Think about all the problems: Miguel Olivo/Ben Davis, Jaime Burke and Sandy Alomar helped comprise the three-headed hydra behind the plate. :o: The starting shortstop, Valentin, batted .216. :?: Harris was the starting 2B. :o: Crede hit .239. At the start of the season, Scott Shoeneweis was the #3 starter! :(: Even Buehrle had a 3.89 ERA. Garland was a full point higher. Loaiza was 4.86, and was replaced by Contreras' 5.30! Even Garcia was at 4.46. In the pen, Cotts had an ERA of 5.65. Billy Koch :angry: started out as the closer, only to be replaced by Shingo. Mike Jackson was the reliever designated to let all inherited runners to score.:angry: Yet Ozzie had that deeply flawed 2004 team contending through most of the season. He almost certainly would not have won the World Series even with a healthy Maggs and Frank on the 2004 team, but they probably would have made the playoffs.

Kenny Williams deserves lots of credit for assembling the pieces on the 2005 team. But Ozzie coached them. As flawed as he may be in the minds of some, I think that as a manager, Ozzie is a winner. Anyone here think Jerry Manuel, Terry Bevington or Gene Lamont would have managed the 2005 team to the World Series? Heck, anyone think Jeff Torborg, Tony LaRussa (still hasn't led a stacked Cardinals team to a World Series victory), Cito Gaston or Jim Fregosi could have done so? (crickets....)

That's why Ozzie deserves the most ample portion of praise!

Chip Z'nuff
05-05-2006, 09:18 AM
So the real reason we won the series was the signing of Ozzie in the mid 80's. IF he does not come to Chicago, he does not become a White Sox fan etc etc etc.

ILuvThatDuck
05-05-2006, 11:21 AM
So the real reason we won the series was the signing of Ozzie in the mid 80's. IF he does not come to Chicago, he does not become a White Sox fan etc etc etc.

Therefore we owe it all to Roland Hemond (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/execdb/showperson.php?idx=HemonRo01&fname=Roland&lname=Hemond)????

palehozenychicty
05-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Therefore we owe it all to Roland Hemond (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/execdb/showperson.php?idx=HemonRo01&fname=Roland&lname=Hemond)????

Bingo!

34 Inch Stick
05-05-2006, 11:56 AM
I give all credit to god and jesus christ my lord and savior

Chip Z'nuff
05-05-2006, 11:58 AM
I give all credit to god and jesus christ my lord and savior Amen Brother! If it wasn't for Jesus saving us from our sins their would be no Roland Hemond!

skottyj242
05-05-2006, 12:56 PM
What about Jermaine Dye, our World Series MVP?

There is no Jermaine Dye to Hangar.

mccoydp
05-05-2006, 02:57 PM
U.S. Cellular Field; without it, there would be no place for the fans to sit, and therefore, no revenue. :tongue:

Chip Z'nuff
05-05-2006, 03:00 PM
U.S. Cellular Field; without it, there would be no place for the fans to sit, and therefore, no revenue. :tongue:

U.S. Cellular, Inc. without them there would be no $26m for stadium improvements