PDA

View Full Version : Champaign has Sox love

mike squires
05-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Wow~When out and about lately it seems I see a Sox hat on every block. Saw a guy in Steak N' Shake tonight (the girl he was with was pretty too) another guy walking around campus and in a building off of 4th Street saw the big letters GO SOX in the window. Other day saw a 2 year old with World Champion hat and shirt on, I would honestly say at this point in time, it's a Sox town. I may be exaggerating just a bit, but wow, how things have changed!

SouthSidePride11
05-02-2006, 11:18 PM
There was a "Southside" bar crawl on Frriday, where everyone was wearing a Sox hat

Erik The Red
05-02-2006, 11:18 PM
A world championship will do that. :smile:

mike squires
05-02-2006, 11:26 PM
OH yeah, saw another guy leaving the gym the other night and commented on his huge Sox tattoo on his calf. Also had a Sox shirt on, he said he went to the game the night after demoliton disco. Seems like everyone I see I want to shout out WHITESOX INTERACTIVE.

RealMenWearBlack
05-03-2006, 01:39 AM
Wow~When out and about lately it seems I see a Sox hat on every block. Saw a guy in Steak N' Shake tonight (the girl he was with was pretty too) another guy walking around campus and in a building off of 4th Street saw the big letters GO SOX in the window. Other day saw a 2 year old with World Champion hat and shirt on, I would honestly say at this point in time, it's a Sox town. I may be exaggerating just a bit, but wow, how things have changed!

Was it split between the Cubs and Cardinals before the World Series?

gbergman
05-03-2006, 01:42 AM
how can you eat steak n shake yuck

peeonwrigley
05-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Was it split between the Cubs and Cardinals before the World Series?
I would... very roughly, say residents of Champaign break down at something like 40%/40%/20% Cubs/Cards/Sox - but I could be shortchanging the Sox on that one following the championship.

Campus probably changed following the World Series... I graduated almost exactly a year ago and I would have broken down students as 40%/35%/25% Cubs/Cards/Sox.

This is all purely anecdotal.

IlliniSox4Life
05-03-2006, 03:53 AM
I've definately been seeing a lot more Sox hats than anything down here lately. I think its got a lot to do with Sox fans coming out of the woodwork, but also that its not exactly a popular time to be a Cubs fan. Before this though, I think it was split rather evenly between Cubs-Cards-Sox. There has always been a decent amount of Sox fans down here, it just seems so much more so this year. I remember at the beginning of the 2005 year I was all pumped about the hot start, and I would run into a few people here and there and talk Sox with them. Now, it's so much more.

cbotnyse
05-03-2006, 08:04 AM
I graduated from Champaign in 2003 and I do not remember many Sox fans at all....it was all Cubs / Cards ...it is funny what a World Series will do...

SOXandILLINI
05-03-2006, 08:13 AM
cbot... lot's of bitter baby bear fans down at work too, don't ya just love it? i swear to god, i've got a guy that works next to me, who is still unbelievably salty over our world champioship. of course, i would never rub salt in an open wound...:tongue: :bandance:

IlliniSoxFan
05-03-2006, 09:37 AM
I graduated undergrad in '01, and law school in '04, and even back in '00, there wasn't a huge buzz about the Sox. Apart from '00, forget about it, seemed overwhelmingly Cubs v. Cards. Glad to hear it has improved.

Ron Karkovice
05-03-2006, 11:35 AM
I swear to god, from what I've seen here, it is 1.) White Sox, and then a close tie between cubs and cards fans.

Randar68
05-03-2006, 11:39 AM
graduating in 2000 the Sox were sorely underrepresented. The campus area seemed about 40-40-20 Cards-Cubs-Sox and the town itself, outside of the student population seemed to be about 50/50 Cubs/Cards with ZERO Sox interest.

Good to see the Sox taking back even more of the fan base and the fans being proud to show their colors (unlike when I was in school)...