PDA

View Full Version : Time for Brian to go...

Chisox1500
05-02-2006, 10:45 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060502soxgamer,1,331441.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

itsnotrequired
05-02-2006, 10:49 PM
I luuuuv Anderson's defense, especially on this last road trip. The batting will come around. If his defense holds up and he hits .240-.250, I'll be happy.

BeviBall!
05-02-2006, 10:58 PM
:threadsucks

MrRoboto83
05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
What a hunk of junk article.

Chisox1500
05-02-2006, 11:05 PM
I don't understand the Anderson love. He looks overmatched. Right now his offense is killing the Sox. There is no room for a purely defensive player in the AL right now.

CHISOXFAN13
05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
I don't understand the Anderson love. He looks overmatched. Right now his offense is killing the Sox. There is no room for a purely defensive player in the AL right now.

LOL, you are joking right?

18-8. For some reason, the Sox seem to be doing just fine with Anderson in center.

Also, is it neccesary to start a new Anderson thread when one already exists?

oeo
05-02-2006, 11:09 PM
I don't understand the Anderson hate. There are much more people that don't like him than do like him. He's a rookie and he will be fine. How is he killing the Sox offense? Last time I checked our offense has been doing fine. If this is stemming from their loss today, Buehrle pitched like ****. Put some blame on him, put some blame on Uribe, on Ozuna, on Cintron...almost everyone in the lineup, not just Anderson.

Am I the only one that is sick of these threads?

ilsox7
05-02-2006, 11:10 PM

How is he killing the Sox when they are 18-8? In fact, go back and try to find a loss that happened b/c of BA.

Is BA trying the patience of the Sox? Sure, why not. He's struggling. ANd he is a rookie. But he is not costing the team games. A good solution is probably to play him against favorable match-ups to build his confidence. But he is playing great defense, which, if you have not noticed, is instrumental in this team winning.

Threads such as these are a waste of bandwidth. I mean, if you're going to rip on BA, be a little more original than linking to a Tribune article.

MrRoboto83
05-02-2006, 11:11 PM
I don't understand the Anderson hate. There are much more people that don't like him than do like him. He's a rookie and he will be fine. Am I the only one that is sick of these threads?

I hear ya!! hmmmm.....I wonder what happened to all the Crede hate threads????

Chisox1500
05-02-2006, 11:12 PM
If he hits .240? So what, we are 18-9? The guy is hitting under .200. He is a sure out regardless of our record. He strikeouts indicate that he is overmatched. No sense in letting him continue to fail.

ilsox7
05-02-2006, 11:12 PM
If he hits .240? So what, we are 18-9? The guy is hitting under .200. He is a sure out regardless of our record. He strikeouts indicate that he is overmatched. No sense in letting him continue to fail.

Baseball is a lot more than what you do with the bat.

Chisox1500
05-02-2006, 11:14 PM
You better be Willie Mays to hit .140. This is not because of today's loss. Brian looks lost. I worry that his pysche is being ruined right now.

Beautox
05-02-2006, 11:17 PM

weak sauce :rolleyes: . Anderson isn't carrying into his D and until he does i don't care, this team is 18-8. The kid is playing air tight defense and looking better at the plate, he didn't strike out at all today against the tribe.

Chisox1500
05-02-2006, 11:18 PM
When he did not strike out is a prize, then there is a problem.

JB98
05-02-2006, 11:20 PM
I want to stick with Anderson at least through this upcoming homestand. He is anchoring our outfield defense. From a defensive standpoint, I'm not sure we have a good alternative. Seattle and Kansas City are coming to town. Neither of these teams possess great pitching staffs. Brian should be able to get some hits, or at the very least some better swings. If I continue to see strikeouts and weak grounders against these pitching staffs, I'll start to become worried. I want Brian to turn this thing around, but I'm concerned that his confidence is going to be completely shot if he takes a few more 0-fers.

Chisox1500
05-02-2006, 11:25 PM
That is my concern as well. We can kill his potential by pushing him out there.

Lorenzo Barcelo
05-02-2006, 11:35 PM
Our 18-8 record is whats keeping his job. No he has not lost us any games yet, but he looks lost at the plate. The other 8 guys out there are supporting him in the lineup.

PS Uribe is struggling too. Just imagine when they both start clicking!

NSSoxFan
05-02-2006, 11:35 PM
That is my concern as well. We can kill his potential by pushing him out there.

If his 'potential' is killed by Ozzie putting him out there as often as he likes, then I don't want BA on the team. I think we all know BA is a much hitter then what he is showing. Calm the **** down.

oeo
05-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Chisox1500: Did you not see him play in Spring Training? He was absolutely mashing the ball. Get over it, as long as we're winning games and still putting up great offensive numbers, give him the time to get into a groove. He's hitting in the 9 slot, we don't need great numbers from him, and when he does get going we will get great numbers from him.

wdelaney72
05-02-2006, 11:39 PM
The only way a yank BA is if he starts taking his offensive problems out to the field with him. Otherwise, he stays. He'll be fine.

jamteh
05-02-2006, 11:40 PM
I'm not saying B.A. is going to be as good, but let's not forget Robin Ventura went 0-41 his rookie year and he turned out alright...

RKMeibalane
05-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Food for thought:

Robin Ventura went through a 4-53 stretch during his rookie season (1990). The Sox stayed patient with him, and it paid off. Those of you who are ready to give up on Anderson are bordering on Dark Cloud behavior.

kittle42
05-02-2006, 11:44 PM
I can't believe Homefish hasn't posted in this thread yet.

kittle42
05-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Food for thought:

Robin Ventura went through a 4-53 stretch during his rookie season (1990). The Sox stayed patient with him, and it paid off. Those of you who are ready to give up on Anderson are bordering on Dark Cloud behavior.

Not dark cloud...just the usual silly overreaction sports fans have to anything majorly negative at the start of a long, long season. If Anderson started out fine, then hit a stretch in June where he hit .140, a lot fewer people would make mention of it.

Mr. White Sox
05-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Just like last year, Anderson can't seem to see offspeed stuff, especially sliders and curves. He also looks overmatched on high fastballs. He'll hit mistakes, no doubt about that, and he's been playing against some damn good pitchers that just aren't throwing him stuff to hit.

Give him time, he'll hit around .250 with 15 HR this year.

Jjav829
05-02-2006, 11:53 PM
You better be Willie Mays to hit .140. This is not because of today's loss. Brian looks lost. I worry that his pysche is being ruined right now.

I've never met Brian Anderson, but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy whose psyche is being ruined by a rough start.

Furthermore, this thread sucks hard. It's May ****ing 2nd. If BA is hitting .140 come the end of June, then we'll re-visit this discussion. Until then, he's playing great defense and he's still a rookie! Andruw Jones hit .231 in his first full season. He turned out alright.

caulfield12
05-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Yeah, but Andruw Jones was only 19 then.

Basically, he's still only two years older than Joe Borchard.

Jjav829
05-02-2006, 11:56 PM
I can't believe Homefish hasn't posted in this thread yet.

He's having trouble making the graph.

BA sucks! Ahhhh...http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4081&stc=1&d=1142826449

MySoxAreClean
05-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Canwe also send the WSCR SIngleton to the minors also? Just like the time when I hit for the cycle

JB98
05-03-2006, 12:05 AM
I've never met Brian Anderson, but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy whose psyche is being ruined by a rough start.

Furthermore, this thread sucks hard. It's May ****ing 2nd. If BA is hitting .140 come the end of June, then we'll re-visit this discussion. Until then, he's playing great defense and he's still a rookie! Andruw Jones hit .231 in his first full season. He turned out alright.

I don't think I'd wait until the end of June, although I'm not in favor of pulling the plug now either. Forty games is typically a pretty good barometer. Let's see where we are in another couple weeks.

Hitmen77
05-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Someone mentioned this on the other Brian Anderson thread, but the problem for the Sox offense right now isn't BA, it's Uribe hitting just as bad and stranding a ton of runners on base. Didn't he alone strand something like 10 in this short series? Man, that's brutal.

Right now, we're 16-4 in our last 20. So, this really hasn't been an issue. But if we start to lose a few and keep racking up double digit LOB totals, then i'd look first at Uribe as the problem. At some point, would could he be benched in favor of Cintron?

I'd say we need to stick with BA for now and give him a chance to learn to hit MLB pitching. The only qualifier I have to his is that I'd agree to do something about him if it really looks like he's sinking, lost his confidence and needs to be taken out of this situation for his own good. I don't think we're there yet. Remember, he had reached base safely in 8 out of 9 game (right?) before the Cleveland series.

hi im skot
05-03-2006, 12:11 AM
booooooooring.

TaylorStSox
05-03-2006, 12:13 AM
We're still a pitching and defense team first. Anderson, Uribe and Crede are our best defenders. They help the team with their glove more than most ppl give them credit for. As long as there aren't any alternatives, we stick with the guys that got us this record.

We have to remember that our staff relies on their defense more than most. We only have 2 real K starters. If we put Mac in CF, it might screw with the pitcher's approach. We don't need that.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2006, 12:32 AM
There's one other factor here that isn't being discussed and that's Brian himself.

At what point in time does the pressure build to the point on him where he starts to really feel it physically and his performance suffers even more? Perhaps even ruining him.

The story says that he is feeling it and that Ozzie knows about it which is why Mac is being mentioned for center field against tough right handers.

Look the kid right now may simply be overmatched (like Logan) when the pressure is on. It's no shame to get sent back to the minor leagues for a spell to get your head back together. Hell 'Goose' Gossage got sent back to Iowa in 1973 after going 7-1 with the Sox in 72. It happens.

It's not a 'demotion', not a 'death sentence.' The Sox may simply want to give him some time to relax and get his game back together. My impression is that this is now a possibility if Brian can't get it going in the next two weeks.

That doesn't mean he won't ever get it together and come back strong but as Ozzie himself said as recently as last week when talking about Logan, (and I'm paraphrasing) 'we're not here to wait and be patient, we're here to win now.'

The Sox record has nothing to do with this issue...the issue is not ruining the kid permanently because he was rushed into things. The list is as long as your arm of kids rushed to the big leagues and were ruined. I'll start the list with David Clyde.

Lip

ondafarm
05-03-2006, 12:34 AM
This topic has been beat to death.

Follow the link:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70145

kittle42
05-03-2006, 12:35 AM
If this team had 9 .300 hitters, someone would complain none of them were hitting .400.

TaylorStSox
05-03-2006, 12:35 AM
There's one other factor here that isn't being discussed and that's Brian himself.

At what point in time does the pressure build to the point on him where he starts to really feel it physically and his performance suffers even more? Perhaps even ruining him.

The story says that he is feeling it and that Ozzie knows about it which is why Mac is being mentioned for center field against tough right handers.

Look the kid right now may simply be overmatched (like Logan) when the pressure is on. It's no shame to get sent back to the minor leagues for a spell to get your head back together. Hell 'Goose' Gossage got sent back to Iowa in 1973 after going 7-1 with the Sox in 72. It happens.

It's not a 'demotion', not a 'death sentence.' The Sox may simply want to give him some time to relax and get his game back together. My impression is that this is now a possibility if Brian can't get it going in the next two weeks.

That doesn't mean he won't ever get it together and come back strong but as Ozzie himself said as recently as last week when talking about Logan, (and I'm paraphrasing) 'we're not here to wait and be patient, we're here to win now.'

The Sox record has nothing to do with this issue...the issue is not ruining the kid permanently because he was rushed into things. The list is as long as your arm of kids rushed to the big leagues and were ruined. I'll start the list with David Clyde.

Lip

I agree. The problem is that BA's the best option we have right now. Throwing a ****ty defensive CF in there really hurts other aspects of our team, especially the starting pitching. Face it! Mac sucks defensively.

BA defense > Mac's bat

Chisox003
05-03-2006, 12:40 AM
I don't think I've ever pulled for a guy harder than I have BA this year....

He'll get it goin....I hope

JB98
05-03-2006, 12:49 AM
If this team had 9 .300 hitters, someone would complain none of them were hitting .400.

See, I don't think anyone is complaining. Aside from perhaps the originator of this thread, people are squarely in Brian's corner. Without question, everyone wants to see Brian break out tomorrow and go 3-for-4. The club needs his defense. We don't have another good alternative in CF. The debate is, for the good of the club and for the good of Brian, how long should the Sox be patient?

My position is, if a guy is hitting .140 or .150 after about 40 games, a move has to be made. We aren't at that point yet. It's still too early to pull the plug on Brian, but this can't be allowed to continue indefinitely. I'm really rooting for him to come out of this slump, and I hope the fans support him on the homestand. He doesn't need to hear boos at this particular time.

soxfan1983
05-03-2006, 12:51 AM

he is our number 9 hitter... settle down

getonbckthr
05-03-2006, 01:05 AM
Here's the deal if he is the CF of the future you deal with the growing pains. If the Sox feel he isn't the CF of the future they better make a deal for someone like Crawford and not someone like Griffey. My personal feeling you deal with it until it comes to a point where it effects the outcome of games and the season. Not yet have Brian Anderson's plate problems really impacted results. However his outstanding glove may have saved a few games already.

TheOldRoman
05-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Anderson isn't just good defensively, he is great. He gets to everything. He has amazed me on several plays this year. Balls were hit to spots where I figured they would fall, or at very best he would have to make a diving catch, but he is getting to everything standing up. That shows the great reads he gets.
He is making routine plays out of balls Rowand would make highlight reel catches on. Most people don't see how great he is because he hasn't had to make difficult looking catches yet. On top of that, he has a hell of an arm. He is already one of the best defensive CFs in baseball. Mackowiak isn't BAD in center, but he is nowhere near as good as Brian.
As someone else said, we are based on defense and pitching. CF is one of the most important defensive positions in baseball, and Brian is doing it great. I don't care if he hits .150 for the entire year. As long as nothing falls in center, he is in the starting lineup. His hitting will come around. Oh, yeah:
:threadblows:

Jjav829
05-03-2006, 01:12 AM
See, I don't think anyone is complaining. Aside from perhaps the originator of this thread, people are squarely in Brian's corner. Without question, everyone wants to see Brian break out tomorrow and go 3-for-4. The club needs his defense. We don't have another good alternative in CF. The debate is, for the good of the club and for the good of Brian, how long should the Sox be patient?

My position is, if a guy is hitting .140 or .150 after about 40 games, a move has to be made. We aren't at that point yet. It's still too early to pull the plug on Brian, but this can't be allowed to continue indefinitely. I'm really rooting for him to come out of this slump, and I hope the fans support him on the homestand. He doesn't need to hear boos at this particular time.

I still say that we give him until June. I think the rest of this team is good enough that if our #9 hitter hits .170 but plays good defense, we can deal with that until a better alternative presents itself. Right now our only other alternative is Macko and he's not exactly tearing the cover off the ball.

I think KW also has to consider the future of BA and not just what he is doing right now. Does he feel that it would benefit BA more to continue to play everyday even if struggling? And if not, what direction does he look for help? Does KW go after someone like Tike Redman who isn't going to be much better, but he'll hit .250 and play decent defense? Or does he want someone who can have an impact there? If it's the later, he's going to have to wait until June/July for a player like that to become available.

peeonwrigley
05-03-2006, 01:16 AM

Very sensible post. I agree wholeheartedly.

Bill Naharodny
05-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Long-time lurker, first-time poster, big-time fan of this site and its posters.

My take on this: Brian Anderson is a fine centerfielder. He seems to get good reads on balls and covers a lot of ground. He's already made plays on several balls that I think would've fallen in front of Aaron Rowand. (Rowand, for all of his effort and development, was still in some ways a corner outfielder with a corner outfielder's tools. Anderson's more natural out there.) His throw today, though slightly off-line, was a good one. In short, he is a capable defender at a very important position.

All that said, this is not a premature thread. Nor is it, as someone intimated, a boring thread. After a month of play, Brian Anderson is hitting in the .140's and has not gotten the ball out of the infield with any regularity. Not too many championship teams have starters hitting .140 -- or even .210 for that matter. And he has a ways to go before he gets there. Moreover, Brian fanned with some frequency during his time in the minors, raising some questions about his plate discipline.

He occasionally has shown signs of progress (the walks he was drawing last week), but he's also fallen back, too. In short, he's going through what many young players go through. Patience is important. And Mackowiak is not the answer out there, so I very much want Anderson to succeed. But let's not castgate those who raise questions as alarmist or pretend that everything's okay out there. It isn't.

For what it's worth, I don't think batting in the 9 hole has helped him, particularly when Podsednik was struggling. Though Uribe has been unlikely to provide him with much protection, I don't think batting in that slot has done him any favors, psychologically or otherwise.

Jjav829
05-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Long-time lurker, first-time poster, big-time fan of this site and its posters.

My take on this: Brian Anderson is a fine centerfielder. He seems to get good reads on balls and covers a lot of ground. He's already made plays on several balls that I think would've fallen in front of Aaron Rowand. (Rowand, for all of his effort and development, was still in some ways a corner outfielder with a corner outfielder's tools. Anderson's more natural out there.) His throw today, though slightly off-line, was a good one. In short, he is a capable defender at a very important position.

All that said, this is not a premature thread. Nor is it, as someone intimated, a boring thread. After a month of play, Brian Anderson is hitting in the .140's and has not gotten the ball out of the infield with any regularity. Not too many championship teams have starters hitting .140 -- or even .210 for that matter. And he has a ways to go before he gets there. Moreover, Brian fanned with some frequency during his time in the minors, raising some questions about his plate discipline.

He occasionally has shown signs of progress (the walks he was drawing last week), but he's also fallen back, too. In short, he's going through what many young players go through. Patience is important. And Mackowiak is not the answer out there, so I very much want Anderson to succeed. But let's not castgate those who raise questions as alarmist or pretend that everything's okay out there. It isn't.

For what it's worth, I don't think batting in the 9 hole has helped him, particularly when Podsednik was struggling. Though Uribe has been unlikely to provide him with much protection, I don't think batting in that slot has done him any favors, psychologically or otherwise.

Hey, welcome aboard! :D:

Good, rational first post.

oeo
05-03-2006, 01:25 AM
All that said, this is not a premature thread..
It was premature a week and a half ago and it still is today. Some of you seem to have been expecting him to just come roaring out of the gates. Although some can do that, most rookies don't see success right away. You're being way too hard on the guy, and I really hope it doesn't translate into boo's at the Cell. Give the guy a standing ovation every time he comes to the plate, let him know that we think he'll be fine, just relax and do what we all know you can do. Just show him support is all I ask, don't make it even more tough on the guy when he's already frustrated and feeling the pressure.

Bill Naharodny
05-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Thank you, sir. Pleasure to be aboard.

JB98
05-03-2006, 01:28 AM
I still say that we give him until June. I think the rest of this team is good enough that if our #9 hitter hits .170 but plays good defense, we can deal with that until a better alternative presents itself. Right now our only other alternative is Macko and he's not exactly tearing the cover off the ball.

I think KW also has to consider the future of BA and not just what he is doing right now. Does he feel that it would benefit BA more to continue to play everyday even if struggling? And if not, what direction does he look for help? Does KW go after someone like Tike Redman who isn't going to be much better, but he'll hit .250 and play decent defense? Or does he want someone who can have an impact there? If it's the later, he's going to have to wait until June/July for a player like that to become available.

Sure. There are a lot of different variables involved. I'm confident Ozzie and KW will stay on top of the situation, and they'll make a decision that best suits both the club and Brian Anderson. A previous poster said he does not care if Brian hits .150 the whole season. Well, I do care. I think BA is the CF of the future, and I hope he is the CF of the present. But it's not fair to him to continue to trot him out there if he's embarrassing himself. The Sox have to do what is right for his long-term development. In this thread, many of us are speculating whether Brian can handle this mentally. And that's all it is: speculation. Fortunately, Ozzie and KW don't need to speculate. They know where BA is at both physically and mentally. If a change needs to be made, they'll make it.

Bill Naharodny
05-03-2006, 01:31 AM
[quote=oeo]It was premature a week and a half ago and it still is today. quote]

It's premature if people are calling on the organization to send him to the minors or for Ozzie to bench him -- but not to express some concern about his start. I try to watch every one of his at-bats that I can -- because I love his attitude, because I think he has talent, and because I want him to succeed. I'm not going to be booing him. But I am a little worried. Yep, I am.

JB98
05-03-2006, 01:33 AM
It was premature a week and a half ago and it still is today. Some of you seem to have been expecting him to just come roaring out of the gates. Although some can do that, most rookies don't see success right away. You're being way too hard on the guy, and I really hope it doesn't translate into boo's at the Cell. Give the guy a standing ovation every time he comes to the plate, let him know that we think he'll be fine, just relax and do what we all know you can do. Just show him support is all I ask, don't make it even more tough on the guy when he's already frustrated and feeling the pressure.

I didn't expect him to come roaring out of the gates, but I didn't expect him to be hitting .140 either. Again, I think the originator of this thread is the only one who is being too harsh on Brian.

Rest assured, I won't boo him on this homestand.

sodfatherjunior
05-03-2006, 01:39 AM
There will be rumors all year that we'll be trading for center fielder but I just got a hunch that we're gonna stick w/BA......why?? b/c we stuck my favorite player the last 4 years in Joe Crede and look what he's doing now. Give him a chance, everyone gave Crede a chance, as has been stated in many previous posts. Anderson is going to be 0k, just give him some time, it might not be this year, but just b/c we have one guy slacking right now in the offense doesn't mean we will struggle as a team. Not every rookie is going to shine immediately as everyone knows.

gbergman
05-03-2006, 01:41 AM
personelly i say keep anderson around till june 1st. if his average doesnt get above 200 by then send him back to the minors or the bench. For this team to be a world series champion again he is going to have to get a hit more than once a week not just have stellar defense

Realist
05-03-2006, 05:38 AM
For what it's worth, Jermaine Dye was batting .190 on May 3rd of 2005 and looked completely overmatched everytime he came up to the plate.

gf2020
05-03-2006, 05:48 AM
For what it's worth, Jermaine Dye was batting .190 on May 3rd of 2005 and looked completely overmatched everytime he came up to the plate.

No comparison.

1. The Sox couldn't send Jermaine Dye down to the minors.
2. The Sox were paying him starter's money.
3. The Sox had a factual basis for the notion that he would rebound as evidenced by several quality major league seasons.
4. The Sox didn't have an alternative as good as Mac to take Dye's spot.

That said, I'm all for giving Anderson until June or July unless his pyche is being ruined. The organization could use someone cheap and homegrown to offset the inevitable high salaries of a loaded championship level team.

Wsoxmike59
05-03-2006, 06:45 AM
I feel Brian Anderson will come around soon, but in the mean time if Ozzie feels the need to give Makowiack more playing time, then CHEEZUS H RICE I wish he'd play Podsednik in CF and put Mackowiak in LF.

Pods is a "true" CF and can cover way more ground than Rob Mackowiak can. Mackowiak is a corner OF'er at best.

It pisses me off to no end to see Mackowiak in CF for the Sox when we have Scott Podsednik who can(and should)play out there when Anderson is on the bench. :angry:

Realist
05-03-2006, 07:31 AM
I feel Brian Anderson will come around soon, but in the mean time if Ozzie feels the need to give Makowiack more playing time, then CHEEZUS H RICE I wish he'd play Podsednik in CF and put Mackowiak in LF.

Pods is a "true" CF and can cover way more ground than Rob Mackowiak can. Mackowiak is a corner OF'er at best.

It pisses me off to no end to see Mackowiak in CF for the Sox when we have Scott Podsednik who can(and should)play out there when Anderson is on the bench. :angry:

I love Podsednik for what he does on the base paths, but it seems every ball hit to him in left field is an adventure. I don't even want to imagine what it would be like having him in center. :o:

Bobbo35
05-03-2006, 07:45 AM
I luuuuv Anderson's defense, especially on this last road trip. The batting will come around. If his defense holds up and he hits .240-.250, I'll be happy.

Ya, his defense is reason for staying alone. He should eventually pick it up on the offensive side. The Sox have been doing fine without his bat.

Wsoxmike59
05-03-2006, 07:49 AM
I love Podsednik for what he does on the base paths, but it seems every ball hit to him in left field is an adventure. I don't even want to imagine what it would be like having him in center. :o:

Podsednik played CF for the Brewers, he only moved to LF with the Sox because Rowand was already established there.

Every ball hit to Mackowiak in CF is an adventure as well. Mackowiak looks like a fish out of water in CF. He's effin terrible out there! Pods has way more experience as a CF than Mackowiak.

jenn2080
05-03-2006, 08:08 AM
So I am not one to be all for Brian Anderson but Ive grown to like the little bugger in the past month. Granted he isnt out there hitting bombs everyday, but he is coming around. He will establish himself eventually. He didnt play any worse then anyone else yesterday. Give the guy a chance. 85% of me says that, and the other 15% says sit him down. What will that do for him?!? He is a rookie who needs to learn. His defense is strong and his offense needs work. Bear with it. We are still a 1/2 game in first place.

Madvora
05-03-2006, 08:50 AM
The excuse that we're 18-8 doesn't mean that Anderson is a good player. Like the article says, Uribe is also hitting in the .100's but we've seen what he can do at the major league level.

A lot of times people get caught up in the record of a hot team and seem to think everything is great. If you want a winning team, you always look for ways to get better, always. With two guys hitting below .200 right now, there is a way for this team to get better. I know Anderson is a rookie and I was rooting for him more than anybody, but right now he's not getting it done offensively. There's only so much time you can give him though. I don't think one month is enough to dump the guy forever, but you can't go through the all-star break and have him still hitting .150 and still use the "we're in first place" excuse. That's not a logical argument because eventually he will come up when needed.

He needs a little more time, but to help him out, maybe he does need to go back to AAA in a few weeks and work on the swing. Would we be worse off with trying Owens or Sweeny out there? Are their defense skills bad enough to cost us games? I can't imagine so, but I have not seen much of them.

Hangar18
05-03-2006, 08:57 AM
A good solution is probably to play him against favorable match-ups to build his confidence. But he is playing great defense, which, if you have not noticed, is instrumental in this team winning.

Excellent Post. This guys being handed the job, he needs to ride the pine a little bit, and put in late innings for defense. Plus, this satisfies Ozzies need to play everyone. I would like to see this happen, him play 60%.

Hangar18
05-03-2006, 09:03 AM
............... but you can't go through the all-star break and have him still hitting .150 and still use the "we're in first place" excuse. That's not a logical argument because eventually he will come up when needed.

Another excellent post. The reason to have him playing CF part time is because now hes starting to get into some bad habits (swinging in the dirt, getting himself 0-2 constantly, swinging for defense etc) and in this game,
especially in this league, bad habits will have you hitting .100 soon enough
and putting you in a bad slump

Hangar18
05-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Canwe also send the WSCR SIngleton to the minors also? Just like the time when I hit for the cycle

I like Singleton, very nice guy. But id rather have Ron Kittle there

The Wimperoo
05-03-2006, 09:32 AM
When the White Sox get someone who is a viable replacement then that is when it is 'time for Brian to go'

Tragg
05-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Young players take time. We don't have an unlimited payroll so we need young players at some positions. Young players keep the team fresh.
And who are you gonna get? A Juan PIerre type at the top end, but more than likely some player much worse than the mediocre pierre.
I remember the cries for the mediocre Randa last year.
Average veterans don't help a team.
And defense is critical to this team as it was last year...and Andreson, the 9 hole hitter, can do that well.

bigsqwert
05-03-2006, 09:40 AM
I like Singleton, very nice guy. But id rather have Ron Kittle there

Racist!

wdelaney72
05-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Racist!

You and your 44 posts might want to get a clue before making baseless, ignorant accusations. Unless, of course, (I hope) you were being sarcastic. Then...
:tealtutor:

bigsqwert
05-03-2006, 09:59 AM
You and your 44 posts might want to get a clue before making baseless, ignorant accusations. Unless, of course, (I hope) you were being sarcastic. Then...
:tealtutor:

I'm a friend of Henry's. Take a chill pill.

Thomes Forearm
05-03-2006, 10:12 AM

this should be in teal.

think about it: if there's a ton of offense in the AL, isn't it a blessing to have a great defensive player to make sensational defensive plays, thus inhibiting a thriving offense, even helping to expunge a hot lineup?

TommyJohn
05-03-2006, 10:12 AM

Rowand would be hitting .400.:redneck

batmanZoSo
05-03-2006, 10:13 AM
He's just in a rookie funk. I think it's pretty obvious, I mean no one's that bad. You have to take these lumps sometimes and we have the best record in the league, so who cares? If it were up to me, I'd give him this month to make a serious stride with his hitting and if not, it would be time for a severe action.

PatK
05-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Hard to believe that Mark Gonzalez wrote a negative article about the Sox.

bigsqwert
05-03-2006, 10:25 AM
At what point does the team say enough is enough with BA? If the team slips into 2nd or 3rd place? If he's under .175 by the end of May?

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I can't believe this thread got this many replies. It's stupid. If Anderson is still hitting .140 in mid-June, it's a different story. But if 105 lifetime AB was all it took to indicate what kind of player he'll be, we'd have Jamie Burke as our starting catcher.

Procol Harum
05-03-2006, 10:41 AM
I'd say that 26 games into the Anderson experiment that Ozzie is justified at this point to start inserting Mackowiak into the lineup about half time and hope that the decreased pressure will start to make itself known in better at bats and some hits for Brian.

That said, it's a shame things haven't gone swimmingly at the plate because we'll definitely lose defense when Anderson is on the bench--I love watching the guy glide around centerfield.

sullythered
05-03-2006, 10:44 AM
At what point does the team say enough is enough with BA? If the team slips into 2nd or 3rd place? If he's under .175 by the end of May?

What do you mean by enough? Start platooning him with Mackowiak, and play him when the matchups are favorable? That I'd be cool with, but to give up on a guy with so much upside because he has started slow in his rookie year (essentially) is ludicrous.

Hangar18
05-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I'd say that 26 games into the Anderson experiment that Ozzie is justified at this point to start inserting Mackowiak into the lineup about half time and hope that the decreased pressure will start to make itself known in better at bats and some hits for Brian.

That said, it's a shame things haven't gone swimmingly at the plate because we'll definitely lose defense when Anderson is on the bench--I love watching the guy glide around centerfield.

Hes got to stay focused at the plate, and talk to the other guys who've already batted. His problem is he has been getting the proverbial one good pitch to hit, but Misses it, shanks it, squibs it etc, and keeps falling behind in the count 0-2, 1-2 and at that point, becomes LOST in Space and is inevitably ends up getting himself out at that point. He must remember to be AHEAD in the count no matter what ..........
Again, hes starting to develop some bad habits now .......... which is only making his BA Worse, and soon enough,
his confidence. The guys the biggest hotdog ive seen in a while on this team, and thats good to a point. It will help him thru this rut hes in. But once he loses confidence, hes in trouble. Cant let him get to that point

Irishsox1
05-03-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm not in favor of ditching Anderson forever, but what is the major harm in sending him back to the minors to get his confidence back up? So many great players have come up, struggled, sent down and came back a lot better. By May 15th, if things have not get better, then I'm in favor of a short trip down to AAA.

ondafarm
05-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Time for Chisox1500 to go . . .

all he does is post garbage about how a solid defensive player should be sent down. Center field is the most important outfield position for defense. Could Ozzie protect him a bit more, sure. The White Sox have been facing some pretty potent pitching of late and with Seattle and a few lesser clubs coming calling I expect BA to get a few more hits. I also have noticed that BA is taking his lumps from the umpires calling a bunch of rookie strikes. That's sad, but he'll get over it.

Madvora
05-03-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm not in favor of ditching Anderson forever, but what is the major harm in sending him back to the minors to get his confidence back up?
I agree. I'd say two more weeks and take a look at him again. The problem is that he's not showing any improvement. It's not like he's killing the ball and getting robbed on hard hit line drives all over the field. He's striking out a lot and doing nothing at the plate.
If he is still getting worse or staying the same in two weeks, then think about getting him down to the minors to work on the swing, nothing wrong with that.
If he even shows slight improvement in two weeks, then he would earn himself a little more time.

Having a winning record like we do is a luxury we have so we have room to deal with problems like this. It is not a reason to ignore problems like this.

bigsqwert
05-03-2006, 11:09 AM
I agree. I'd say two more weeks and take a look at him again. The problem is that he's not showing any improvement. It's not like he's killing the ball and getting robbed on hard hit line drives all over the field. He's striking out a lot and doing nothing at the plate.
If he is still getting worse or staying the same in two weeks, then think about getting him down to the minors to work on the swing, nothing wrong with that.
If he even shows slight improvement in two weeks, then he would earn himself a little more time.

Having a winning record like we do is a luxury we have so we have room to deal with problems like this. It is not a reason to ignore problems like this.

Or at least work in Mackoviak more. Maybe less pressure will do wonders?

soxfan13
05-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Lets end all the talk right here bring Rudy Law out of retirement

oeo
05-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Or at least work in Mackoviak more. Maybe less pressure will do wonders?
MackoWiak.

I honestly don't see how less at-bats is going to help him.

voodoochile
05-03-2006, 11:20 AM
MackoWiak.

I honestly don't see how less at-bats is going to help him.

It won't, but if he plays against pitchers whom he matches up well against, it might build his confidence and allow him to hit better against guys he doesn't match up well with.

I still think it's too early to pull the plug on him and the defense he brings is nothing short of amazing. With Dye day to day at present, they really cannot make a change immediately anyway.

Still, a platoon might be the answer if Anderson continues his unproductive ABs...

spiffie
05-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Something people need to remember when making the argument that BA's average doesn't matter and our record proves it is that there are guys on the team who are still on paces that cannot be realistically kept up all year. Jim Thome is on a pace to hit 60HR. Konerko is not going to keep a 357/435/643 line all year long. AJ won't keep hitting almost .350. The middle of our lineup has been ridiculously hot, which has let them carry the guys getting off to a slow start. When the middle of the lineup returns to earth as they eventually will the Sox will need production all across the lineup. Right now Anderson isn't hurting us because we've got huge numbers in the 2-7 spots. But to throw that line out there that "we're 17-8 with Anderson sucking so it all must be okay" is to overlook those facts.

I don't believe that if Anderson continues at this level of production that our lineup can carry him the entire year without it becoming a problem. Last year the worst OF in baseball with over 100 games statistically was Tony Womack, who put up a line of 249/276/280, for an OPS of .556. If Brian could even get to those numbers, or something like 225/275/325, I would say there's nothing at all to worry about. But if he keeps going into June and July with a line like 140/235/254 then I don't think there's going to be any way on earth that the team will not suffer for it no matter how smooth he is with the glove.

So I'm rooting for him. I have grown to like watching him play CF over the last few weeks. I don't expect him to do amazing things or come in and be anything more than a Mendoza line hitter. But if he cannot even do that then there will come a point where you say we did not put together this team and invest the kind of resources in it that we have to allow it to be held down by one player not yet ready to play at this level. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Mr. White Sox
05-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Just so you guys know (see my previous post in this thread for my actual opinion here)... Mackowiak, during the month of May, hits around .286 with an .880 OPS over his career. June is similar. For some reason May and June are his "hot months", so look for him to get more playing time regardless of the BA situation.

wdelaney72
05-03-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm a friend of Henry's. Take a chill pill.

Sorry, man, stranger things have happened here. Pill taken.:D:

getonbckthr
05-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Mackowiak should only be out there to give Pods, 44, and Dye a day off. Just as Cintron should only be out there to give an infielder a day off. Ozuna is our pinch - runner. Gload should only be out there when the game is decided by a big margin. I would like our starters barring injuries to each get at least 150 starts, including 44.

ode to veeck
05-03-2006, 05:56 PM

seriously, I am sick and tired of these BS threads ... they belong next to the scrubsessed in "whats the score"

miker
05-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Time for Brian to go...take a little more BP?

LongLiveFisk
05-03-2006, 06:32 PM
I didn't read through this whole thread but I just want to mention that plenty of people also wanted Aaron out of the lineup when he first got the starting CF job and was struggling at the plate. Brian needs more time.

Ol' No. 2
05-03-2006, 06:37 PM
I didn't read through this whole thread but I just want to mention that plenty of people also wanted Aaron out of the lineup when he first got the starting CF job and was struggling at the plate. Brian needs more time.Also Joe Crede, Juan Uribe, Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras, Neal Cotts...

JB98
05-03-2006, 07:39 PM
I didn't read through this whole thread but I just want to mention that plenty of people also wanted Aaron out of the lineup when he first got the starting CF job and was struggling at the plate. Brian needs more time.

The White Sox did take Aaron out of the lineup when he first got the starting CF job. In fact, they traded for Carl Everett (the first time) to replace him. I think it served Aaron well in the long run.

JB98
05-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Also Joe Crede, Juan Uribe, Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras, Neal Cotts...

Don't forget Choice.

ode to veeck
05-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Don't forget Choice.

More time at the plate was never gonna help Choice, unless the games didn't count anymore, but he never was gonna deliver when it counted, no comparison, end of discussion

getonbckthr
05-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Ya get rid of him he should have caught that ball standing up!!!!!!!!!!

ode to veeck
05-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Ya get rid of him he should have caught that ball standing up!!!!!!!!!!

There's a run BA just took off the board late in the game in a one run game--no way A-Row gets that one

getonbckthr
05-03-2006, 10:37 PM
There's a run BA just took off the board late in the game in a one run game--no way A-Row gets that one
Cause he took horrible angles?

ode to veeck
05-03-2006, 10:39 PM

even with a good angle, he woudn't have the speed or the reach BA just showed

ode to veeck
05-03-2006, 10:43 PM
even with a good angle, he woudn't have the speed or the reach BA just showed

Now even bigger after that drive by Pablo

ode to veeck
05-03-2006, 10:44 PM
:tomatoaward:

not that this thread even deserves it ...

ondafarm
05-03-2006, 11:03 PM
:tomatoaward:

not that this thread even deserves it ...

What do we need to do to get this thread locked?

ode to veeck
05-03-2006, 11:09 PM
What do we need to do to get this thread locked?

LOL Farm! that would be easy, start a real discussion on politics for one ...

voodoochile
05-03-2006, 11:12 PM
LOL Farm! that would be easy, start a real discussion on politics for one ...

Intentionally trying to get threads roadhoused and locked is grounds for a LONG ban...

ode to veeck
05-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Intentionally trying to get threads roadhoused and locked is grounds for a LONG ban...

point taken

what a game ... and BA's catch enables the extra innings and the W

ondafarm
05-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Great game all around. PTC has got to be Ozuna.

Ode: I HATE the oatmeal here!!!

Murphy10
05-03-2006, 11:30 PM
No i do not think it is time for Brian to go. However, for a series they should have Pablo in left and Scotty in center. Not the best defensively, but that double by ozuna was the most heads up play i have seen. So just let Brian sit it out for a bit. He will be fine.

ILuvThatDuck
05-04-2006, 09:14 AM
BA Big Lay-out catch last night.

Time for him to go??? Dont think so

:gulp:

Tragg
05-04-2006, 09:19 AM
However, for a series they should have Pablo in left and Scotty in center. In my opinion, Pods in center would be a disaster....Pablo can get PT giving various players a day of rest.

Tragg
05-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Don't forget Choice.
Choice was a veteran who proved over a series of years that he couldn't hit squat. There was no reason to believe he'd ever improve his hitting, and he still hasn't.

batmanZoSo
05-04-2006, 09:50 AM
That was a hell of a read. The guy can play some center field.

Randar68
05-04-2006, 11:28 AM

It's refreshing to finally have a CF'er who has some semblence of instincts...

Rowand's unsure first step always cost him 2-3 steps in the gaps and he would have been watching Pods retrieve that ball from the wall last night...

Wsoxmike59
05-04-2006, 08:23 PM
In my opinion, Pods in center would be a disaster....Pablo can get PT giving various players a day of rest.

I remember Scott Podsednik being a rather good CF'er for the Brewers when he was their regular CF.

Scott Podsednik as the Brewers starting CF

Year G Ch PO A E Pct.
2003 123 347 316 3 3 .991
2004 153 421 392 5 4 .990

Aaron Rowand as the Sox starting CF
2004 126 305 290 8 6 .980
2005 157 394 388 3 3 .992

It looks to me Scott Podsednik could hold his own as a CF and range factors look like Scotty Pods covers more ground than Rowand gathering more putouts and chances in roughly the same amount of games as Rowand had.

I don't see Podsednik being a "disaster" in a CF. But I do see Mackowiak being one. Why Ozzie Guillen puts this guy is CF when he seems more suited to corner OF play is beyond me.

oeo
05-04-2006, 10:27 PM
I was thinking about this earlier, anyone think it's the #44?

Think about it, Rowand started his career as #44, not so hot. Koch comes along, takes #44...and well, let's just say he wasn't so hot either. Now Brian takes it and the struggles begin. Probably just coincidence, but I thought it was interesting.

ondafarm
05-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Any outfielder can be pressed into service in center field. And most guys can learn the position with practice. But very few guys have real instincts and the speed and the coordination to play CF really well. The White Sox are a team which really depends on it's defense and center field is easily the most important outfield position for defense. A center fielder handles considerably more balls than a left or right fielder does. It is also a 'head' position. A good CF attends the pitchers' meeting before every series and knows how guys will be pitched and positions himself and the LF, RF accordingly. SS does this for INF.

Rowand spent a few years learning the position and played it well for the Sox. He was not instinctive and did not get particularly good jumps or take good routes to balls. He learnt how to dive well and he always was fearless on crashing into fences. Scouts will tell you the fearlessness is good, the crashing into fences is not.

Pods was an adequate CF who also spent several years learning about the position. His years were in the minors. Pods is not instinctive and does not get great jumps. Pods is a role player which means his efforts are focussed on either offense or defense. I'd rather he concentrate on offense. Pods arm is also weak and CF would expose this more.

Mack is a corner outfield guy. He shouldn't play CF except in absolute need.

BA is superior on all the criteria to everyone mentioned here except Pods for speed. Unless his poor hitting is causing long-term damage then leave him be. He is contributing to the White Sox's success.

getonbckthr
05-05-2006, 02:21 AM
I was thinking about this earlier, anyone think it's the #44?

Think about it, Rowand started his career as #44, not so hot. Koch comes along, takes #44...and well, let's just say he wasn't so hot either. Now Brian takes it and the struggles begin. Probably just coincidence, but I thought it was interesting.
Is #35 available? I think A guy who used to wear that number here had some success hitting!

Hoffdaddydmb
05-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Give BA a chance. The D is great and I think everyone will agree. We're in 1st place in our division and everyone else is hitting great, just look at our team batting average. Last year there was always someone to bail the team out becuase most of our team was batting under .270. Once he makes his adjustment we'll be fine.

Aaron didn't bat so great last seaons (I realize not as bad as BA) and his D won a lot of games for us.

On the positive, at least this is all we really have to complain about, think of how miserable we all were 2 seasons ago.

soxinem1
05-05-2006, 08:15 AM
I do not understand why there is all this 'Dump BA' crap. Maybe a few people should take a walk down memory lane for some great CF that graced the grass of the White Sox CF position:

Ken Henderson
Chet Lemon
Ron LeFlore
Rudy Law
Daryl Boston
Luis Salazar
John Cangelosi
Gary Redus
Dave Gallagher
Lance Johnson
Darren Lewis
Chris Singleton
Jose Valentin
Kenny Lofton
Carl Everett
Aaron Rowand

Now, of the players on this list, maybe Henderson, Lemon, Boston, and Rowand had arms comperable to BA. Salazar and Valentin had good arms, but were more suited for INF positions.

Rangewise, positioning, and instincts, again, only a couple of these guys can hang with BA.

And power potential, BA couls easilly go up against any of these guys.

So why do I raise this point? Some of these characters were deplorable to watch play, some were respectable if not good. But most of these guys were given a chance to play, not given the collar after 30 games.

If we were 8-20 or if BA was playing like Dave gallagher in CF, that's one thing, but he needs to develop.

And for all of you who are clamoring for BA's removal, just think of a certain broadcast partner of Ed Farmer and how far we've come as a team since he was around.

Teams are supposed to stick together, not dump on those who are struggling, especially under these circumstances.

Minnie Me
05-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Give Chet some love. Sparkey Anderson no less called him the best CF'er in the AL for several years.

jandm859
05-05-2006, 01:07 PM
BA looks overmatched now. the only question is how long to you give him . how long can we afford to have two guys under 200? and by the way, unless uribe stops trying to pull everything, they'll keep pitching him outside and clintron will have his job

goldglovesox
05-05-2006, 01:15 PM
New to the forum. I think that you run no risk of having him out there everyday. I think that we knew this was a possiblitiy coming in. But with the improved offense it would allow him to develop a little bit before he could be counted on as a contributor. I think that replacing him too early really hurts him in the long run. I saw Owens in Spring Training and do not think he is ready to be an everyday major league CF. Sweeney is a viable option in my opinion only if you move Pods to CF. But we are giving up defense which will hurt our staff. So I dont like the idea of doing anything to disrupt our pitching staff.

Randar68
05-05-2006, 01:43 PM
they'll keep pitching him outside and clintron will have his job

Is that the love child of Hillary Clinton and Alex Cintron?

Randar68
05-05-2006, 01:44 PM
I saw Owens in Spring Training and do not think he is ready to be an everyday major league CF.

Unfortunately, neither is anyone else on our roster, including Pods.

SouthSide2Ship
05-05-2006, 02:15 PM

oeo
05-05-2006, 02:18 PM
BA looks overmatched now. the only question is how long to you give him . how long can we afford to have two guys under 200? and by the way, unless uribe stops trying to pull everything, they'll keep pitching him outside and clintron will have his job

IIRC, Cintron was given a chance to start for the D'Backs a couple years ago and couldn't do it. I'll take Uribe's glove, he'll put it together.

ondafarm
05-05-2006, 02:27 PM
IIRC, Cintron was given a chance to start for the D'Backs a couple years ago and couldn't do it. I'll take Uribe's glove, he'll put it together.

Yes, Cintron did get every chance to play everyday.

That being said, I think a day or two off for Uribe is in the cards. Struggling or not, the man needs regular days off.

oeo
05-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Yes, Cintron did get every chance to play everyday.

That being said, I think a day or two off for Uribe is in the cards. Struggling or not, the man needs regular days off.

Yeah, I didn't say he shouldn't start at all, because he's a damn good backup. I was only questioning his ability to start everyday.

getonbckthr
05-05-2006, 03:03 PM

We could try to get Tejada??

miker
05-05-2006, 03:10 PM
I do not understand why there is all this 'Dump BA' crap. Maybe a few people should take a walk down memory lane for some great CF that graced the grass of the White Sox CF position:
Hey, what's with the disrespect to Chet and One Dog? They were much better than average center fielders.

getonbckthr
05-05-2006, 04:26 PM

Ken Henderson
Chet Lemon
Ron LeFlore
Rudy Law
Daryl Boston
Luis Salazar
John Cangelosi
Gary Redus
Dave Gallagher
Lance Johnson
Darren Lewis
Chris Singleton
Jose Valentin
Kenny Lofton
Carl Everett
Aaron Rowand

Now, of the players on this list, maybe Henderson, Lemon, Boston, and Rowand had arms comperable to BA. Salazar and Valentin had good arms, but were more suited for INF positions.

Rangewise, positioning, and instincts, again, only a couple of these guys can hang with BA.

And power potential, BA couls easilly go up against any of these guys.

So why do I raise this point? Some of these characters were deplorable to watch play, some were respectable if not good. But most of these guys were given a chance to play, not given the collar after 30 games.

If we were 8-20 or if BA was playing like Dave gallagher in CF, that's one thing, but he needs to develop.

And for all of you who are clamoring for BA's removal, just think of a certain broadcast partner of Ed Farmer and how far we've come as a team since he was around.

Teams are supposed to stick together, not dump on those who are struggling, especially under these circumstances.
How can you forgot Sox-killer when he was and wasn't on the team. Cory Snyder.

bluechiprhp
05-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Anderson's struggles are clear. However, does anyone remember Robin Ventura back in 1990? He went on an 0-40 some odd funk and Torborg stuck with him. He ended up coming back and hitting .249 and playing GREAT defense. Maybe Guillen remembers this...since he was Robin's teammate.

voodoochile
05-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Anderson's struggles are clear. However, does anyone remember Robin Ventura back in 1990? He went on an 0-40 some odd funk and Torborg stuck with him. He ended up coming back and hitting .249 and playing GREAT defense. Maybe Guillen remembers this...since he was Robin's teammate.
Just wanted to say that I hate this line of reasoning. Just because one guy or 10 guys or even 100 guys have had a horrible stretch early in their career and gone on to greater things doesn't mean the guy they are being compared to will. For every Robin there are 1000 Julio Ramirez (IIRC) who got gobs of PT when they were sucking it up and then went on to continue sucking it up until they sucked their way completely out of the game.

Having said that, Anderson definitely deserves more time. His defense is stunning and given the other options out there in a primarily defensive position (traditionally and with good reason) now is not the time to make a switch...

Edit: Oh and welcome aboard! :D:

bluechiprhp
05-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Just wanted to say that I hate this line of reasoning. Just because one guy or 10 guys or even 100 guys have had a horrible stretch early in their career and gone on to greater things doesn't mean the guy they are being compared to will. For every Robin there are 1000 Julio Ramirez (IIRC) who got gobs of PT when they were sucking it up and then went on to continue sucking it up until they sucked their way completely out of the game.

Having said that, Anderson definitely deserves more time. His defense is stunning and given the other options out there in a primarily defensive position (traditionally and with good reason) now is not the time to make a switch...

Edit: Oh and welcome aboard! :D:

Oh I totally agree. I am just drawing a comparison in situations. I think Guillen's going with his gut because he saw Robin go through struggles before. I honestly believe he'll get another 50 or 60 at-bats before they decide anything with him.

Herm Schneider
05-11-2006, 12:32 AM

i agree ...sing the brian anderson hero song :: "lets go brian ...be a hero... hit a home run todayyy!! " ~DJ

getonbckthr
05-11-2006, 02:12 AM
i agree ...sing the brian anderson hero song :: "lets go brian ...be a hero... hit a home run todayyy!! " ~DJ
When did DJ sing this and who has a recording of it?

OG4LIFE
05-11-2006, 07:33 AM
fyi... BA is 5 for his last 14, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 5 runs. Most promising is the 0 K's in that time.

give him a break.

jenn2080
05-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Everyone needs to get over the Brian Anderson thing. The kid is coming around. Besides he hit a 3 run bomb last night.

ode to veeck
05-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Be nice if someone could fix the thread title to "Time for Brian to Stay ..."

soxinem1
05-12-2006, 01:28 PM
How can you forgot Sox-killer when he was and wasn't on the team. Cory Snyder.

Hey, what's with the disrespect to Chet and One Dog? They were much better than average center fielders.

Cory Snyder played LF and DH, not CF the 3-4 agonizing months he was here. But I remember once sitting in the stands watching Snyder take three attempts before picking up a baseball hit to the wall. Pathetic!!

I definitely did not disrespect Chet or Lance, but BA's arm is better than his ever was, and I did point out that power wise, I think BA is as good as anyone on that list, Chester included.

If this was one of the teams Lemon played on and Anderson was hitting like he is, he might be a platoon candidate, but playing experience helps. When you are 23-10, you shouldn't fix too many things that are not really necessary.