PDA

View Full Version : Simas hooks up with Detroit

DrCrawdad
01-28-2002, 04:04 PM
I imagine it may be a tad awkward for Bill. Best wishes to Simas.

http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,173801,00.html

Simas hooks up with Detroit

January 28, 2002 2:16 PM CST

DETROIT - The Detroit Tigers signed former White Sox right-handed pitcher Bill Simas to a minor-league contract Monday and invited him to spring training.

Simas, 30, was on the disabled list all of last season with the White Sox after having surgery on his right elbow on Dec. 22, 2000.

Simas has a past with the Tigers, having been ejected from a fight-marred game two years ago that resulted in multiple suspensions and fines. Simas was punched in the melee by the Tigers' then-batting coach Juan Samuel, who is now their first base coach.

Simas was 18-19 with 23 saves and a 3.83 ERA in 308 appearances with the White Sox from 1995-2000. He averaged 7.1 strikeouts per nine innings and less than one hit per inning.

The Tigers also invited right-handed pitcher Terry Pearson to spring training on Monday.

He was 4-4 with 23 saves and a 2.93 ERA in 59 games with Double-A Erie last season. Pearson was 2-1 with two saves and a 0.53 ERA in 16 games for Escogido in the Dominican Winter League following last season.

2002 ChicagoSports.com

PaleHoseGeorge
01-28-2002, 05:21 PM
If accepting a minor league contract (and having to make the team inorder to get a major league contract), is the best Bill Simas could do, then I guess signing a contract with Detroit would be the best place to maximize his chances of getting that contract offer come March 31.

Detroit's pitching staff sucks.

:garner
"We never intentionally hit anybody. We simply get mad when you get mad over all your batters we hit."

DrCrawdad
01-28-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
If accepting a minor league contract (and having to make the team inorder to get a major league contract), is the best Bill Simas could do, then I guess signing a contract with Detroit would be the best place to maximize his chances of getting that contract offer come March 31.

It's been a tough year for free agents, except for Giambi.

czalgosz
01-28-2002, 07:19 PM
I find it amazing that the Indians would offer Mark Wohlers a multimillion dollar contract, the Twins would pick up Mark Jackson, but Bill Simas has to take a minor-league contract. They should let me be a GM; I can't possibly be worse than some of these guys.

MattSharp
01-28-2002, 07:30 PM
I am very sorry to see him go. Simas was a good reliever.

Vsahajpal
01-28-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I find it amazing that the Indians would offer Mark Wohlers a multimillion dollar contract, the Twins would pick up Mark Jackson, but Bill Simas has to take a minor-league contract. They should let me be a GM; I can't possibly be worse than some of these guys.

What you need to do is matriculate to the Ed Lynch School of General Management; doing so will probably leave you with little credibility, just the way the Seligs like it.

Pete_SSAC
01-28-2002, 08:10 PM
Am I the only one that didn't know he was a free agent? Ah well, shame to see him go, hoefully he can bounce back from the surgery and get a major league contract to a team that has a shot of being something.

- Pete

Daver
01-28-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
Am I the only one that didn't know he was a free agent? Ah well, shame to see him go, hoefully he can bounce back from the surgery and get a major league contract to a team that has a shot of being something.

He wasn't a free agent till the Sox declined to offer him arbitration.:redneck

DrCrawdad
01-28-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC

- Pete

I was not surprised that Simas wasn't offered arbitration or given a contract to avoid arbitration. Last season all signs pointed to the Sox closing the book on Bill. I remember reading about the rehabs of Parque, Barcelo and even Osuna but nothing Simas and how Simas fit into the future of the White Sox. In my opinion, early on after Simas injury the Sox were ready to move on without Simas. I'd bet that Bill didn't expect to be a White Sox player in 2002.

SOXSINCE'70
01-28-2002, 10:22 PM
It's sad to see someone who was sooooo instrumental in the 2000 season go to another ball club.I think the Sox will miss him more than they know.Simas (when healthy) was the perfect "bridge" guy (to get to your set up man and closer).

Hope he does well,except when he pitches against the Sox.Just remember,fastball down the middle to Thomas,Ordonez,Konerko :D: :D: :D:

"Screw you guys,i'm going home".
-Eric Cartman

pearso66
01-28-2002, 11:43 PM
i didnt realize simas was a free agent either, and i as well will miss him. i remember a time when i didnt think to highly of him, but then the 2000 season taught me of how good he is, and could be. I hope he makes the big league team, he deserves it. but i can see why the sox wouldn't pick up arbitration on him, i mean he was injured all last season, and they didnt wanna take the chance

RichH55
01-29-2002, 12:52 AM
Would giving Bill a minor league deal or trying to get him to accept close to the min instead of arbitration have been out of the question? I understand if he overestimated the market....but Detroit is in a no lose situation with Simas now...would have been nice

Daver
01-29-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Would giving Bill a minor league deal or trying to get him to accept close to the min instead of arbitration have been out of the question? I understand if he overestimated the market....but Detroit is in a no lose situation with Simas now...would have been nice

You are either offered arbitration or not,there is no middle ground.

RichH55
01-29-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by daver

You are either offered arbitration or not,there is no middle ground.

Damn caught me thinking about the scenarios if you are offered....but then I alter the question...before the d-day to offer or not was Simas overthinking his value?

beausox
01-29-2002, 06:18 PM
That bullpen is weak. The only three guys guranteed to make it are Matt Anderson, Danny Patterson, and Victor Santos. Simas should make the team. I just hope he dosen't hurt us to bad when he pitches against us next year.