PDA

View Full Version : Sox Sign Jeff Nelson

kruzer31
05-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Sox sign RP Jeff Nelson

JK

voodoochile
05-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Nice pickup. Why was he available? With a shortage of Solid RP around he league you would think someon would take him. Has he been injured? He appeared in 49 games last year and while he may not be the force he was when he was in his prime, he's still a solid relieve.

kevingrt
05-02-2006, 11:18 AM
I like this signing a lot. Jeff Nelson used to have some real good years at NY and Seattle. If he is having trouble hitting his spots nowadays maybe Coop can turn him around in the latter portion of his career.

Hawkeroo1980
05-02-2006, 11:19 AM
he's 97 years old

worth a shot though. His numbers against righties are pretty good

Chicken Dinner
05-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Can't take him to Boston.

Baby Fisk
05-02-2006, 11:21 AM
His name came up in March: linky (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68179&highlight=jeff+nelson)

salty99
05-02-2006, 11:29 AM
More importantly..who did we drop?

peeonwrigley
05-02-2006, 11:31 AM

Thome is suspiciously missing from the lineup today.

itsnotrequired
05-02-2006, 11:32 AM

No one. The roster isn't full yet.

salty99
05-02-2006, 11:34 AM
so he'll be on the 40 man roster in AAA is what you're saying.

itsnotrequired
05-02-2006, 11:36 AM
so he'll be on the 40 man roster in AAA is what you're saying.

That's what I would imagine.

Baby Fisk
05-02-2006, 11:39 AM
What happened to Rusty Tucker? Yes, this was just an excuse to post a linky (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66484&highlight=cooper+schneider) to the Rusty Tucker thread, which featured daveeym's mind-blowing Cooper-Schneider episode... :cool:

beckett21
05-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Where has this been reported? Any links?

Assuming it's true, I like it.

spiffie
05-02-2006, 11:44 AM
What happened to Rusty Tucker? Yes, this was just an excuse to post a linky (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66484&highlight=cooper+schneider) to the Rusty Tucker thread, which featured daveeym's mind-blowing Cooper-Schneider episode... :cool:
I will never be clean again...:puking:

anewman35
05-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Where has this been reported? Any links?

Assuming it's true, I like it.

It was in today's game notes.

http://presspass.mlb.com/pp_viewer.asp?d=27595

HITMEN OF 77
05-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Waste of money.

daveeym
05-02-2006, 12:03 PM
What happened to Rusty Tucker? Yes, this was just an excuse to post a linky (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66484&highlight=cooper+schneider) to the Rusty Tucker thread, which featured daveeym's mind-blowing Cooper-Schneider episode... :cool: You may make that story catch on yet. If I ever make the move to be a macabre novelist you'll be my inspiration.:cool:

Baby Fisk
05-02-2006, 12:10 PM
You may make that story catch on yet. If I ever make the move to be a macabre novelist you'll be my inspiration.:cool:
The tightie whities still give me night terrors.

beckett21
05-02-2006, 12:41 PM
It was in today's game notes.

http://presspass.mlb.com/pp_viewer.asp?d=27595

Thanks.

Chez
05-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Frank was about 0 for 60 against this guy.

A. Cavatica
05-02-2006, 01:32 PM
I assume this is to replace Hermanson.

Chicken Dinner
05-02-2006, 02:18 PM
I always thought he kind of had that Nazi look to him.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2006, 02:21 PM
This is a great move. Little risk, potential good reward.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2006, 02:26 PM
This is a great move. Little risk, potential good reward.

LipLittle risk, all right, but I'm not so sure about the reward part. I wanted KW to sign Nelson a couple of years ago when he was available. I don't think he has much left in the tank now. I'll be surprised if he ever sees a major league uniform.

goofymsfan
05-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Waste of money.

I second that. He isn't the pitcher he used to be. He lost his job the last month of the season last year. There is a reason he was still available this time of year.

HomeFish
05-02-2006, 02:47 PM
I approve. You can never have too much pitching.

MadetoOrta
05-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Good veteran pitcher. Once had unhittable stuff for righthanders. No harm no foul.

BeviBall!
05-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Guys... this is a fantastic pick up. He had killer spring numbers when St. Louis inexplicably released him. We need another righty badly and this guy has been good for years.

White Sox Randy
05-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Excellent move. I can see him pitching for us in the playoffs.

JUribe1989
05-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Nice move. We have 25 men on the roster though. Who goes down or does Nelson go to the Knights?

anewman35
05-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Nice move. We have 25 men on the roster though. Who goes down or does Nelson go to the Knights?

He's going to extended spring training. I imagine how he does there will determine where he ends up.

batmanZoSo
05-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Guys... this is a fantastic pick up. He had killer spring numbers when St. Louis inexplicably released him. We need another righty badly and this guy has been good for years.

That's good to hear, I'll take your word for it. I didn't know he wasn't pitching for someone already...or that he wasn't retired or hurt or something. Nelson was always one of the best in the business and hopefully he can pitch half as well for us as he did against us. At the very least, we won't have to worry about Thomas hurting us late in games. :wink:

BeviBall!
05-02-2006, 04:44 PM
From cardinals.com when he was released:

"In big-league games this spring, he permitted one hit and three walks in 5 2/3 shutout innings. He struck out seven."

He had a respectable 3.93 ERA for the woeful M's last season. I thnk he still has it.

TomParrish79
05-02-2006, 04:55 PM
This guy used to have some very sick movement on all his pitches a few years ago

voodoochile
05-02-2006, 05:47 PM
This guy used to have some very sick movement on all his pitches a few years ago

He was one of the first guys to really be effective throwing the cut fastball, IIRC. At least he brought it to the forefront of the baseball spectrum as I recall.

He also could hit 95+ on a regular basis. Even if he is down a couple of MPH, he should still be pretty effective and having another righty option in the pen would be great - especially given the recent struggles of McCarthy and Politte. Too many lefties at present anyway.

Heck, trade Gload for a bag of baseballs and go with 7 in the pen if it is that big of a deal. How often will Gload get serious PT this season anyway?

Jjav829
05-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Good signing. I was in favor of it when Nelson was first released, and I haven't changed my mind since. It's worth a shot to see if he can still be effective against righties.

beckett21
05-02-2006, 07:30 PM
I second that. He isn't the pitcher he used to be. He lost his job the last month of the season last year. There is a reason he was still available this time of year.

Leave it to the disgruntled Seattle-ites to rain on our parade. :D:

You two may be right, but the Sox really have nothing to lose on this one. What could it hurt? Besides, when you are the defending World Champs you can take these kinds of risks. :cool:

drewcifer
05-02-2006, 07:48 PM

You two may be right, but the Sox really have nothing to lose on this one. What could it hurt? Besides, when you are the defending World Champs you can take these kinds of risks. :cool:

Exactly.

He's got tons of playoff experience (4 championship teams), and so what if we keep 'em stewing in the minors UNTIL and IF...

Tell me of another option you can lock up now with that experience.

It's a harmless proactive move and it's affordable.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Maybe some folks are upset because this takes away the chance of another 'can't miss' kid!

:rolleyes:

Munoz anyone??? LOL

Lip

santo=dorf
05-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Maybe some folks are upset because this takes the way the chance of another 'can't miss' kid!

:rolleyes:

Munoz anyone??? LOL

Lip
The only player I would put in your category would be Brandon.

Would you give Brandon's spot to Nelson right now?

drewcifer
05-02-2006, 08:11 PM
The only player I would put in your category would be Brandon.

Would you give Brandon's spot to Nelson right now?
Ah c'mon... That's being silly....

Maybe you can see this: An 06 ALS game against the Yankees with bases loaded and Giambi up and not enough outs...

I take experience. El Dueque anyone?

<The vets have their value moments>

beckett21
05-02-2006, 08:30 PM
The way I look at it, Nelson takes over Hermanson's 'spot'. I would expect him to take over Logan's roster spot eventually.

Brian26
05-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Ah c'mon... That's being silly....

Maybe you can see this: An 06 ALS game against the Yankees with bases loaded and Giambi up and not enough outs...

I take experience. El Dueque anyone?

<The vets have their value moments>

Actually (and I made this prediction two months ago and stand by it), I have a feeling KW will reacquire El Duque before the trading deadline.

goofymsfan
05-02-2006, 09:21 PM
From cardinals.com when he was released:

"In big-league games this spring, he permitted one hit and three walks in 5 2/3 shutout innings. He struck out seven."

He had a respectable 3.93 ERA for the woeful M's last season. I thnk he still has it.

I wouldn't call a 3.93 ERA respectable for a reliever. That's also not taking into account the number of inherited runners to score. I have season tickets to the Mariners and would cringe everytime he was called into a game as he had this uncanny knack at serving up a nice home run ball for the other team. He is not the same pitcher he wasn't was.

drewcifer
05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Actually (and I made this prediction two months ago and stand by it), I have a feeling KW will reacquire El Duque before the trading deadline.

No way that happens.

goofymsfan
05-02-2006, 09:23 PM

Not disgruntled, just know what I saw last year when he was with the team. If the lead was close it seemed like we would be behind when ever he was brought in. If he works out for the Sox, great, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

California Sox
05-02-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure Nelson's the answer, but KW is certainly asking the right questions. We need one more serviceable right-handed setup guy. Hope this is the guy. If not, I'm sure he'll keep working. We've got good medium-type prospects in AA and AAA. KW has ammo to deal.

soxfanreggie
05-02-2006, 09:47 PM
We would have to give up some valuable prospects to get him back. DBacks are starting him pretty high still I believe.

beckett21
05-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Not disgruntled, just know what I saw last year when he was with the team. If the lead was close it seemed like we would be behind when ever he was brought in. If he works out for the Sox, great, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I was just kidding. :redneck

I do appreciate your insight as someone who watched him up close and personal last season.

His best days are probably behind him, but there is very little risk on the Sox part. He's not going to be asked to anchor the bullpen.

Hopefully he will come out with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. If he is washed up, we'll find out soon enough. His spring numbers were good enough to warrant a flyer though.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Personally I think Kenny will try to get Viz back before Duque and that's entirely possible given that Arizona will probably fall out of a weak divisional race by July.

Also this was in this evening's story on the signing in the Tribune by Mark Gonzales.

"Nelson signed with the Sox after running into general manager Ken Williams at Safeco Field during the Sox's visit last week to Seattle, where Nelson was working in television."

Looks like Lady Luck is smiling on the Sox once again!

Lip

Tragg
05-02-2006, 11:27 PM
The only guy in the pen who's pitching poorly now is McCarthy, which is really surprising.
The new two lefties are doing okay.
Cliff has struggled, but looks to be doing better.

MUsoxfan
05-02-2006, 11:31 PM
The only guy in the pen who's pitching poorly now is McCarthy, which is really surprising.
The new two lefties are doing okay.
Cliff has struggled, but looks to be doing better.

Cliff has looked like a pitching machine lately. I'm pretty worried about him

TomParrish79
05-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Heck, trade Gload for a bag of baseballs and go with 7 in the pen if it is that big of a deal. How often will Gload get serious PT this season anyway?

Thats hilarious because its true.

Bobbo35
05-03-2006, 06:52 AM
What we have to remember here is that we have Coop. I think that this was an excellent pickup and one where you take the chance on it and let it pan out.

soxfanreggie
05-03-2006, 08:36 AM
It's not like he's costing us much. If Nelson pans out and we need him up in the majors, good...if not, it's not like we gave up a lot of prospects for him.

Also, Bobbo...you are a lucky lucky man having a wife like that.

TomBradley72
05-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Definitely a good move with very little risk. Wouldn't be the first time an aging veteran was "re-energized" coming to a winner with a great group of guys and a great coach (Don "Chuck Norris" Cooper)...and had one last great run. Could he be effective for 3-4 months and eliminate our dependence on a rookie like Logan or a AA/AAA call up? Worth a chance.

DrCrawdad
05-03-2006, 12:40 PM
:ozzie
Ross Gload? Who's he?