PDA

View Full Version : Booing Thome = Booing Frank?

woodsdavid
05-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Let's face it, we live in a no-class world: William Ligue Jr, the fans who harrassed the Astro wives last year, Cleveland fans booing Thome, etc., etc.

I don't blame blame Kenny for losing his cool over Frank's perpetual whining. Kenny could have taken a "higher road" but who doesn't get fed up and lose their cool from time to time.

But on 5/22, I hope Sox fans can remember that

Frank Thomas is the best player in the history of this organization
Frank didn't leave for money -- he wanted to stay
When Frank left, his "blasting the organization" wasn't any worse than the whining he'd done in his years in a Sox uniformYep, we all got tired of Frank's bitching. And yes, Frank got his butt kissed late in '05 and Kenny was pissed about it.

But:

I hope Sox fans can keep from booing this (arguable) future hall-of-famer and show him, the country and ourselves that we have some class.
Maybe more than either Frank or Kenny themselves had.

gobears1987
05-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Uh, I agree with Frank's comments. After 16 seasons with the Sox, they could've at least talked to him instead of just not talking to him period. Frank would've stayed for league minimum. I'm not saying we should've kept Frank, I'm saying that the club could've treated him with dignity. Frank was right to be pissed about how his situation was handled.

I will be there on the 22nd and I WILL GIVE HIM A STANDING OVATION.

Mickster
05-02-2006, 10:42 AM
I hope Sox fans can keep from booing this (arguable) future hall-of-famer and show him, the country and ourselves that we have some class.
Maybe more than either Frank or Kenny themselves had.

Fixed it for ya. :wink:

Ol' No. 2
05-02-2006, 10:43 AM
I really don't think anyone has to worry about this. Sox fans have something the Indians fans don't - class.

That and a World Series trophy.:)

skobabe8
05-02-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm not gonna boo. No way.

DaBears
05-02-2006, 10:46 AM
I could not and will not boo Big Frank. I prefer to bring the big guy to tears with our unending ovations:smile:

05-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I hear where Frank was coming from, but I never heard him say "I just want to thank the Fans for all their support over the years"....But after seeing the way CLE treated Thome, I know the Sox fans will give Frank a heros welcome....he had his moments with management, but he was the Sox for many. many years....if you boo him, you can't call yourself a Sox fan

gobears1987
05-02-2006, 10:49 AM
I could not and will not boo Big Frank. I prefer to bring the big guy to tears with our unending ovations:smile:amen, my goal will be to bring him to tears. We need to make a show of class.

Chicken Dinner
How can you boo a .188 batting average???

Uncle_Patrick
The situation with Thome leaving Cleveland (which is why the fans are booing him) is much different that the situation with Thomas leaving the White Sox. They shouldn't even be discussed together. There's no reason to boo Frank Thomas. The guy wanted to stay and the Sox showed him the door.

ondafarm
05-02-2006, 10:55 AM
We need to have a "stupid" flag to label the people who start threads like this.

Frank's perpetual whining was well-justified.

Class guy, class act and if I am in attendance, I will only applaud him.

As to why the Cleveland idiots are booing Thome, they ain't got no class.

Tigerclaw
05-02-2006, 10:56 AM
The situation with Thome leaving Cleveland (which is why the fans are booing him) is much different that the situation with Thomas leaving the White Sox. They shouldn't even be discussed together. There's no reason to boo Frank Thomas. The guy wanted to stay and the Sox showed him the door.

What about booing Magglio Ordonez in his return to the Cell? The situation with him seems similar to the way Thome left Cleveland. i know that you will say that he ripped the sox, but so did Frank and he also gave the White Sox many good years of baseball.

daveeym
05-02-2006, 10:59 AM
I imagine it will be 25% boos 75% cheers. I'd cheer Frank if I was there. However, the Frank is god and all his bitching is justified talk cracks me up.

05-02-2006, 10:59 AM

But what were we going to do with him? Keep him on the bench as a orniment like we did when we got Baines back in 2000? Did he really want to be a backup DH? From the business point, Thome over Thomas made more sense, and so far, they were right

hawkjt
05-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Frank never said anything against the fans.

It was always the admin, mainly Kenny.

I know the hardcores on this board will not boo him , but I am a little worried about the casual fans that believe everything they read.

Standing O , sox fans- be classy.

kevingrt
05-02-2006, 11:23 AM
No way, no how I boo the Big Hurt.

Uncle_Patrick
05-02-2006, 11:28 AM
But what were we going to do with him? Keep him on the bench as a orniment like we did when we got Baines back in 2000? Did he really want to be a backup DH? From the business point, Thome over Thomas made more sense, and so far, they were right

I didn't say the Sox should have kept him. I'm saying that there's no reason for fans to boo Thomas. He wanted to stay. Thome said he wanted to stay in Cleveland but left voluntarily. This is why Indians fans hate him.

NardiWasHere
05-02-2006, 11:37 AM
I'll applaud him a little out of respect when I go, but I can see some people booing him.

I think there is more of a reason to boo the big hurt and his big mouth, than Thome.

Uncle_Patrick
05-02-2006, 11:39 AM
What about booing Magglio Ordonez in his return to the Cell? The situation with him seems similar to the way Thome left Cleveland. i know that you will say that he ripped the sox, but so did Frank and he also gave the White Sox many good years of baseball.

Frank and Maggs are different. Thomas was a franchise player who wanted to stay and retire with the White Sox. Maggs was "exploring his options" and once they were limited by his injury, he was angry that the White Sox wouldn't resign him without a medical exam. I'm not condoning the booing of Ordonez. Personally, I choose to remember the good things he did with the team. But many look at Maggs as a guy looking for lots of money, who probably would have received big money and long-term offers from the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs had he been healthy and probably would have taken one of them, too. I had the feeling, even before his injury, that Maggs was looking for something "better" than the White Sox. When the injury limited his options, Maggs was suddenly filled with love for the Sox organization and hurt by their "betrayal". The Sox wanted to know the medical data on his injury and he and his agent wouldn't provide it. People remembered that and that's why they booed Maggs.

Tigerclaw
05-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Frank and Maggs are different. Thomas was a franchise player who wanted to stay and retire with the White Sox. Maggs was "exploring his options" and once they were limited by his injury, he was angry that the White Sox wouldn't resign him without a medical exam. I'm not condoning the booing of Ordonez. Personally, I choose to remember the good things he did with the team. But many look at Maggs as a guy looking for lots of money, who probably would have received big money and long-term offers from the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs had he been healthy and probably would have taken one of them, too. I had the feeling, even before his injury, that Maggs was looking for something "better" than the White Sox. When the injury limited his options, Maggs was suddenly filled with love for the Sox organization and hurt by their "betrayal". The Sox wanted to know the medical data on his injury and he and his agent wouldn't provide it. People remembered that and that's why they booed Maggs.

I understand all of that, but I don't see that much of a difference between the booing of Magglio and the booing of Thome. Thome supposedly wanted to stay with Indians and said he was going to stay only to leave for more money. Everyone is up in arms here calling the Indians fans classless, but I think you will find that fans everywhere are going to boo players that were well liked and leave for more money...including White Sox fans. Damon received a mixed reaction, Thome was booed, Magglio was booed and I'm sure Thomas will have a mixture as well. I would imagine that if Thomas was a DH for the Twins instead of the A's he would have even more boos because he is playing for a division rival.

Max Power
05-02-2006, 11:59 AM
I plan to give Frank a standing ovation before his first AB, but after that it's game time and I hope he goes 0-4 with 4 K's.

HotelWhiteSox
05-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I will be there and will give him a standing O. If people do boo, I'd bet the majority of them are bandwagoners

Uncle_Patrick
I understand all of that, but I don't see that much of a difference between the booing of Magglio and the booing of Thome. Thome supposedly wanted to stay with Indians and said he was going to stay only to leave for more money. Everyone is up in arms here calling the Indians fans classless, but I think you will find that fans everywhere are going to boo players that were well liked and leave for more money...including White Sox fans. Damon received a mixed reaction, Thome was booed, Magglio was booed and I'm sure Thomas will have a mixture as well. I would imagine that if Thomas was a DH for the Twins instead of the A's he would have even more boos because he is playing for a division rival.

I get you. I'm sure part of it is "hey, they're booing our guy" but I think a lot of people were also taken aback by the amount of booing. I don't have a problem with Tribe fans booing Thome. I think everyone expected some booing. I think, though, that, at least here, there is a feeling that Indians fans didn't show any respect for what Thome accomplished for their team. Maggs was great with the White Sox, but Maggs years with the Sox don't equal Thome's years with the Tribe. Also, Thome never bad-mouthed the Indians like Maggs did with the Sox. I think Sox fans here are looking at it as sour grapes on the part of Indians fans while seeing the Maggs situation as sour grapes on Maggs's part.

I don't think Sox fans had the same venom for Maggs as Indians fans do for Thome, though. Certainly, I don't think you'd hear most of the stadium cheering when a pitch comes close to Maggs head, like you did in the same situation with Thome. I also think most Sox fans are over the Maggs situation now.

NardiWasHere
Frank and Maggs are different. Thomas was a franchise player who wanted to stay and retire with the White Sox. Maggs was "exploring his options"

Didn't Frank explore his options at one point too? Then he came back after like ten days?

Frank gets a lot of credit on this board. I love what he did for the team and I grew up watching the guy hit, but he isn't flawless. In fact he has a lot of faults. For being a future hall of famer, he isn't as beloved as he should have been. And I can understand why.

Uncle_Patrick
05-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Didn't Frank explore his options at one point too? Then he came back after like ten days?

Frank gets a lot of credit on this board. I love what he did for the team and I grew up watching the guy hit, but he isn't flawless. In fact he has a lot of faults. For being a future hall of famer, he isn't as beloved as he should have been. And I can understand why.

Yes, Frank did explore his options. I guess the difference is perception. Maggs was in the prime of his career. Personally, I had the feeling that he was looking a brighter spotlight than what the Sox had. I don't think I'm alone there. Thomas was exploring his options as his career was winding down. He seems to have felt he wasn't wanted here. I think a lot of people perceive Frank as have given his best years to the White Sox organization, while Maggs was going to give his best years to the highest bidder. Maybe that is why Frank gets a bit of a pass with many people.

NardiWasHere
05-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Maggs was going to give his best years to the highest bidder. Maybe that is why Frank gets a bit of a pass with many people.

If someone bashes Maggs for wanted more money, one could also point out that Frank came into camp one year complaining that he was no longer one of the top paid players in the game and that it was embarrassing.

I don't know. I think that his pass stems from his hall of fame career. There is nothing wrong with that, though. People should realize that when he gets booed by people in chicago, it shouldn't be a suprise.

gobears1987
05-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Frank got screwed by the Sox though on his contract with the "declining abilities" clause. He has more than enough to bitch about. Maggs on the other hand was just an *******.

voodoochile
05-02-2006, 12:23 PM

Yes, Frank explored his options AFTER the team invoked the DSC and effectively tore up his $10M/year contract...

voodoochile
05-02-2006, 12:25 PM
If someone bashes Maggs for wanted more money, one could also point out that Frank came into camp one year complaining that he was no longer one of the top paid players in the game and that it was embarrassing.

I don't know. I think that his pass stems from his hall of fame career. There is nothing wrong with that, though. People should realize that when he gets booed by people in chicago, it shouldn't be a suprise.

That was 2001 after he lost out on the MVP because of Giambi juicing which made it still possible for the Sox to invoke the DSC down the road. After he got injured it took the Sox another year to do so...

gobears1987
05-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Yes, Frank explored his options AFTER the team invoked the DSC and effectively tore up his $10M/year contract...Yeah, Frank was 100% justified in ripping the team this offseason. THey have screwed him at every corner and he kept loyal to them still. They really didn't let him go with dignity this offseason.:angry:

Uncle_Patrick
05-02-2006, 12:30 PM

I would be surprised, though. Over the last 2 years, there has a been a ton of love for Thomas at the ballpark, when he was playing with the Sox. When he left the team, he said, publicly, that he wanted to stay, but the team had no room for him. I'd be shocked that the same fans that were cheering for the last 2 years would start booing because of stuff that happened several years ago.

ILuvThatDuck
05-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Mistakes were made lets just leave it at that.

Big Hurt gets a BIG WELCOME HOME, and a Standing O from me when he comes back to town.

StockdaleForVeep
05-02-2006, 12:39 PM
For mags i had no reason to cheer, would boo if he did damage to the team as i would boo any other player who scores on our team

Frank has earned my standing ovation, and ken williams was wrong, he is a figure missed by the fans

maurice
05-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Maggs is a tool who deserved what he got. IMO, our reaction was mild, given the circumstances. He turned down a very large offer from the Sox (thankfully), and then signed with a losing team for more money. He lied about the Sox and asked the Tigers to trade him after one predictably injury-plagued year.

IMO, the Cleveland fans should not have booed Thome, but he also rejected a contract offer and signed elsewhere for more money. OTOH, he asked Phily to trade him back to Cleveland, and never lied about the Jndjans and treated the fans well, as far as I know.

Frank is the least blameworthy of the three. He wanted to re-sign with the Sox but, unlike the other two, received no offer. He certainly could have been more tactful, but I don't disagree with what he said. KW's narcissism caused him to make a complete ass of himself. Again, like Thome, Frank always treated the fans extremely well.

Anybody who boos Frank should be shot. When he returned from injury last year, he received a loud and long standing ovation. Anything less than that is completely unacceptable.

miker
05-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Knowing the full story, I'm not going to boo...

...however I'm not going to vouch for any the rest of the "geniuses" that show up that night.

NardiWasHere
05-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Frank is the least blameworthy of the three. He wanted to re-sign with the Sox but, unlike the other two, received no offer. He certainly could have been more tactful, but I don't disagree with what he said. KW's narcissism caused him to make a complete ass of himself. Again, like Thome, Frank always treated the fans extremely well.

Anybody who boos Frank should be shot. When he returned from injury last year, he received a loud and long standing ovation. Anything less than that is completely unacceptable.

Come on now. Thome has ALWAYS been a class-act. There are several examples of Frank being a jerk. You think that if the Sox offered the same deal the A's gave him he'd accept it!?!?!?! He'd never shut up about being disrespected. This is a guy who always seemed to be complaining. Even though I love him, he isn't a model citizen. If someone chooses to boo him, that's their choice. I can see both ends of the argument. Frank shouldn't be a hated figure, but he isn't immune to any criticism either.

leens01
05-02-2006, 01:12 PM
I have never been a Frank Thomas fan even when he was here and having a good career. The nail in the coffin was when his security guard shoved my mom out of the way at SoxFest one year while she was watching a seminar. However, I wouldn't boo the man either. To me, it is more a form of class.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-02-2006, 01:15 PM
This was probably already said but I'll say it anyway...

1) Frank plays for the A's, not a division rival. Thome is now playing on the Indians' rival, the White Sox.

2) Johnny Damon said it best last night, "they're booing the uniform, not the player". That was the case with him and maybe it was so with Thome, but they were very bad with Thome.

He seemed to have taken it very personal. Maybe if he stays in Chicago long enough and especially if he wins a World Series here, he may go into the Hall as a member of the ChiSox (probably just wishful thinking).

maurice
05-02-2006, 01:22 PM
There are several examples of Frank being a jerk.

Frank fought with management and the media. Almost every poster on this site has complaints about current or past bosses, and we well know that the Chicago sports media blows. Frank was great to the fans and was a great player. That's good enough for me.

You think that if the Sox offered the same deal the A's gave him he'd accept it!?!?!?! He'd never shut up about being disrespected.

I have no idea, because what you're saying never actually happened. It doesn't change the fact that the other two guys were offered multi-million dollar deals and turned them down. Judging by the signs at the Jake, this was a major issue with Cleveland fans. As the coach would say, if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. It's ridiculous to complain about speculation concerning Frank's reaction to a hypothetical situation.

Frank shouldn't be a hated figure, but he isn't immune to any criticism either.

Agreed.

NardiWasHere
05-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Frank fought with management and the media. Almost every poster on this site has complaints about current or past bosses

Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing the two players....

But that argument could be made for TO. He never necessarily wronged the fans. He was upset with management and the media. I'm sure 99% of the people here still have a problem with him.

Fans boo and dislike players as a result of their relationship with the organizations and media all the time. I don't understand the argument.

maurice
05-02-2006, 01:58 PM
But that argument could be made for TO. He never necessarily wronged the fans. He was upset with management and the media.

I don't buy it. TO went after management and his QBs and incurred meritorious suspensions, resulting in losses. TO actually didn't fight with the media. He gave them absurd access, so the media loves him.
:dunno:

JohnBasedowYoda
05-02-2006, 02:00 PM
I really don't think anyone has to worry about this. Sox fans have something the Indians fans don't - class.

That and a World Series trophy.:)

Magg's was booed quite heavily.

Granted he made some asinine comments

StillMissOzzie
05-02-2006, 04:13 PM

I agree with you, Tigerclaw. The Thome situation and the Maggs situation are much closer to each other, in that both players left for a bigger payday. That's part of why I understand both of them getting booed. A few more side notes to ponder, though:
1) The Maggs situation was particularly distasteful, as he was denying the Sox access to medical records and/or a live examination of his knew, while he was still technically under contract with the Sox. And, he jumped to a division rival.
2) The Thome haters have carried their grudge for a lonnnnnng time, as he jumped to the NL for his big money, so the Tribe faithful haven't had the opportunity to boo Thome for several years now. I don't think it would matter if he were returning with a division rival or not, he'd get the same reception, even though it wasn't the Sox who stole him away.
3) Frank didn't jump, he was pushed. No way I am gonna boo the big man. There's no guarantee he even plays, but he gets a standing O from our family of 4 at COTC II I wouldn't mind if he goes deep, getting him closer to 500 and the HOF, as long as the Sox kick the A's ass in the end.

SMO
:gulp:

South Side Irish
05-02-2006, 04:41 PM
I won't do anything, just watch.

I'm still torn on Frank. While I idolized him a yute when he first started out, I grew very tired of him as I grew up. For a man that holds such a lofty place in White Sox lore, I wish it was easier to love him. For what he's done, he should be loved, but the man makes it so hard.

I don't think just "bandwagoners" will boo Frank. I know lots of long-time fans that can't stand him, and his behavior during his departure put the icing on the cake.

Steelrod
05-02-2006, 04:43 PM
I agree with you, Tigerclaw. The Thome situation and the Maggs situation are much closer to each other, in that both players left for a bigger payday. That's part of why I understand both of them getting booed. A few more side notes to ponder, though:
1) The Maggs situation was particularly distasteful, as he was denying the Sox access to medical records and/or a live examination of his knew, while he was still technically under contract with the Sox. And, he jumped to a division rival.
2) The Thome haters have carried their grudge for a lonnnnnng time, as he jumped to the NL for his big money, so the Tribe faithful haven't had the opportunity to boo Thome for several years now. I don't think it would matter if he were returning with a division rival or not, he'd get the same reception, even though it wasn't the Sox who stole him away.
3) Frank didn't jump, he was pushed. No way I am gonna boo the big man. There's no guarantee he even plays, but he gets a standing O from our family of 4 at COTC II I wouldn't mind if he goes deep, getting him closer to 500 and the HOF, as long as the Sox kick the A's ass in the end.

SMO
:gulp:
Except Thome left with class and dignity and didn't rip his bosses or the organization. Can't say the same with Maggs or Hurt. But I wish them all well.

TomParrish79
05-02-2006, 04:59 PM
I really hope the crowd doesn't boo Frank but there are always people who are gonna be jerks. And for those of you who feel the need to put a statement like "Frank's a Future Hall of Famer" in teal then you need to remember just how dominant the guy was during his prime.

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Except Thome left with class and dignity and didn't rip his bosses or the organization. Can't say the same with Maggs or Hurt. But I wish them all well.Why is it so difficult for so many of you to get the basic distinction between Thome's situation and Frank's? It's a whole lot easier to leave with class and dignity when it's your choice to leave than it is when you are shown the door.

voodoochile
05-02-2006, 05:44 PM
I really hope the crowd doesn't boo Frank but there are always people who are gonna be jerks. And for those of you who feel the need to put a statement like "Frank's a Future Hall of Famer" in teal then you need to remember just how dominant the guy was everytime he was fully healthy.

fixed your post...

sox1970
05-02-2006, 06:17 PM
If I were to go the A's games, I would neither cheer, nor boo. I respect the numbers Frank put up, but he was whiner, he wasn't a good teammate, and he was completely self-centered when it came to getting his numbers. I don't hate Frank Thomas, but I really don't have a lot of feeling toward him one way or the other. Surprising since he was here 16 years, but I just don't care. I'm more interested in the quest for the second championship.

RKMeibalane
05-02-2006, 06:24 PM

Here's the difference:

Frank was upset because he wanted to stay in Chicago, and the Sox let him go. He was whining because he didn't get what he wanted.

This Other Individual that you speak of wanted to leave Chicago for more money. He got what he wanted, and yet he still whined about it.

I don't blame Frank for wanting to stay with the Sox. There's nothing wrong with a player who wants to remain with his original team.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Couple points...

1) If you have paid attention during the opening video on the scoreboard, you would have heard nothing but cheers as Frank's picture flashes across the screen. I have been one of those clapping and can't wait for 5-22-06.

2) I don't think we really have anything to worry about in terms of the boos being heard over the thousands who will be cheering.

3) I hope Frank will step back and acknowledge the cheers; much unlike he did in his return last May.

NardiWasHere
05-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Why is it so difficult for so many of you to get the basic distinction between Thome's situation and Frank's? It's a whole lot easier to leave with class and dignity when it's your choice to leave than it is when you are shown the door.

I wish Frank was the type of guy to leave with class and dignity no matter how he left.

If I get let go from my job, does that give me an excuse to act classless because it wasn't my decision? I know its a little harder, but its no excuse for being a baby.

Nellie_Fox
05-03-2006, 09:54 PM
I wish Frank was the type of guy to leave with class and dignity no matter how he left.

If I get let go from my job, does that give me an excuse to act classless because it wasn't my decision? I know its a little harder, but its no excuse for being a baby.Whether Frank was out of line for what he said has been argued to death. My only point was that Frank's situation and Thome's are not comparable.

NardiWasHere
05-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Whether Frank was out of line for what he said has been argued to death. My only point was that Frank's situation and Thome's are not comparable.

Thats valid... my fault.

Theanticub
05-04-2006, 02:33 AM
I will be there for the series. If anyone around me starts booing I will either

A. Bitch them out
or
B. Throw a beer at them and hope they swing at me.

Completely classless to boo him. Why? Look above the scrolling script.

ilsox7
05-04-2006, 02:35 AM
I will be there for the series. If anyone around me starts booing I will either

A. Bitch them out
or
B. Throw a beer at them and hope they swing at me.

Completely classless to boo him. Why? Look above the scrolling script.

But even more classless to throw and beer at someone and instigate a fight. I hope you're just kidding around here.

he gone!
05-04-2006, 02:40 AM
You Can't Boo Frank Thomas And Call Yourself A Sox Fan! Period!

fozzy
05-04-2006, 04:08 AM
plain and simple for my life frank was easily the best player i ever saw in a white sox uniform.... if he bitched and whined it still (for me) never distract from all my memories... if he EVER gets boo'd at comiskey, the cell i will be embarsed to be a sox fan

soxinem1
05-04-2006, 06:55 AM
I hear where Frank was coming from, but I never heard him say "I just want to thank the Fans for all their support over the years"....But after seeing the way CLE treated Thome, I know the Sox fans will give Frank a heros welcome....he had his moments with management, but he was the Sox for many. many years....if you boo him, you can't call yourself a Sox fan

I will beat this game and I plan to give Frank a standing 'O'. I'm sure he will tip his hat to the fans at that time.

But I can't help wondering why Frank did not thank the fans after it was obvious he was gone. Eric Karros took out a full page ad thanking the cub fans after a 300 AB cub career, and Frank should have done the same.

Last night at the game Carl Everett got a very lukewarm response from BP all the way to his at-bats, and with his 'Sox in Third Place' remarks, he deserved it.

I have always been one of the biggest Frank backers since I came on this forum, but there are a few things he could have done differently to take a higher road.

I doubt it will happen, but if he gets a reception like Thome got in CLE, then I think the bandwagonners are definitely out-numbering the Sox fans at the Cell.

woodsdavid
05-04-2006, 09:36 AM
..will be booing the hurt on 5/22. yes, news flash: carl has a big mouth. but he was OUR big-mouth when he helped us WIN THE WORLD SERIES.

i think there are about a zillion baseball fans who look at going to a game the same as going to see professional wrestling: they buy their ticket, then they get to turn their brain off and act like a 12 year old again. it's your money and you can do (almost) anything you want.

and i'm not saying that you can't boo a guy, but here's an idea if you're on the idiot fence about frank first trip back to chicago:
maybe you can show some booing restraint at frank's first at bat, but then cheer like an idiot when frank goes 0 for 4. everybody wins that way.

sort of.