PDA

View Full Version : Booed Thome?

Steelrod
05-01-2006, 06:36 PM
They booed Thome. Cleveland has to have the worst fans I have ever seen or heard!

Chips
05-01-2006, 06:42 PM
The Dude just called me and told me about it, bunch of jackasses.

winning ugly 72
05-01-2006, 06:45 PM
i was suprised to see them boo thome i thought for sure he would get a big ovation for everything he helped the indians accomplish why he played for them.

Hitmen77
05-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Worse yet, I was listening on the radio and there were cheers from the crowd when a pitch almost hit Thome.

Wow, you know if Sox fans did this - and they wouldn't, there would be stories all over the local and national press ripping our fans.

cbotnyse
05-01-2006, 07:14 PM
I am very surprised he is getting booed too......did anyone hear what Jonny Damon's reception was in Boston?

DeadMoney
05-01-2006, 07:17 PM
I am very surprised he is getting booed too......did anyone hear what Jonny Damon's reception was in Boston?

Yeah, they actually gave him a standing ovation.

HotelWhiteSox
05-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Wow, I expected ovations, instead he gets the Bonds treatment, booing at every atbat before he is even announced (ala Anaheim and AJ), and signs like "Jim Phoney" and "Traitor".

mrs. hendu
05-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Wow, I expected ovations, instead he gets the Bonds treatment, booing at every atbat before he is even announced (ala Anaheim and AJ), and signs like "Jim Phoney" and "Traitor".
Unbelievable. :o: I saw the "Boo Jim Phoney" sign and was absolutely shocked. Even Haw & DJ were saying, "Did we miss something? Did Jim say something negative about the organization upon leaving?" I mean, Frank said some things, but I don't think any Sox fan would have the nerve to boo him after all these years. Shame on you Tribe fans! :mad:

JB98
05-01-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm really surprised. If there is anyone acting like a traitor, it is the Cleveland fans. Thome deserves their respect after all he did for that franchise and that city. They are embarrassing themselves by booing him.

This is akin to us booing Frank, which I would never do.

BnzCP
05-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Let's not speak too soon, let's see what happens in a few weeks when Thomas comes back to Chicago. I'm going to be pissed if I hear people boo him. Despite what happened this year, Thomas was the face of this team for years, he deserves better then people booing him.

JB98
05-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Let's not speak too soon, let's see what happens in a few weeks when Thomas comes back to Chicago. I'm going to be pissed if I hear people boo him. Despite what happened this year, Thomas was the face of this team for years, he deserves better then people booing him.

If our fans boo Thomas, I will criticize them. Just as I am criticizing Cleveland for booing Thome.

A. Cavatica
05-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Well, Magglio was a pretty good player for us, and he'll be booed, justifiably. The Cleveland fans must know more than we do.

JB98
05-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Well, Magglio was a pretty good player for us, and he'll be booed, justifiably. The Cleveland fans must know more than we do.

Magglio was never the face of the White Sox. Thome WAS the franchise in Cleveland. I think there's a big difference there.

Hitmen77
05-01-2006, 07:41 PM

Yeah, but Thomas went out in a very negative way. I'm not saying people should boo him in a few week. Rather, the Thomas returning and Thome returning situation are NOT the same thing.

The Indians fans booing Thome would be comparable to Sox fans booing Robin Ventura in his first game back against the Sox. That is the situation to compare this too. Both were very popular fan favorites that left as free agents for more money elsewhere. Unless I'm totally mistaken, Sox fans - unlike Jndians fans - showed some class and warmly welcomed Robin in his first game back at Comiskey.

oeo
05-01-2006, 07:42 PM
The loudest I heard the crowd all night was just now when Sizemore hit a liner into the Sox dugout. Almost hit Thome...I'm sure they didn't know that, but they knew it was hit into the dugout. That's real class...idiots.

ZachAL
05-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Wow, you know if Sox fans did this - and they wouldn't, there would be stories all over the local and national press ripping our fans.

Although it is bush league for any team to do it (especially the Indians), I highly doubt it would even register nationally if sox fans did this. I mean the yankees-redsox are on tonight, the nfl draft was yesterday and we are in the midst of the NBA and NHL playoffs, I dont think it would be too big of a story. Lets put it in perspective.

A. Cavatica
05-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Magglio was never the face of the White Sox. Thome WAS the franchise in Cleveland. I think there's a big difference there.

Hogwash. Magglio was our best player and only All-Star for a few years (Frank's down years). Thome always had other good players with him. They were comparable in their "face of the franchise" factor.

Hitmen77
05-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Well, Magglio was a pretty good player for us, and he'll be booed, justifiably.

Maggs and Frank went out trashing the Sox. I would be utterly SHOCKED if Thome ever had a negative thing to say about anyone in Cleveland. Compare this to Ventura leaving the Sox. Sox fans showed class. Indian fans = class without the "cl".

The Cleveland fans must know more than we do.

I doubt it.

BnzCP
05-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Everyone is complaining on how Thomas left. He wanted to come back, he would have taken very little to come back, he was upset at the way the ChiSox handled it. Ozzie said the same thing happened to him when they parted ways when he was a player. I still dont know why people would be upset with Thomas for mouthing off. If I was part of a club for so long and let go without a call I would be mouthing off as well.

cbotnyse
05-01-2006, 07:44 PM
unfortuantely I think Thomas will be booed......I think there will be many people there that series just to boo Frank.....I hope it doesnt happen but thats my guess.....but watching Cleveland fans boo Thome just sounds so bad...I hope the cheers drown out the boos.

The Dude
05-01-2006, 07:51 PM
unfortuantely I think Thomas will be booed......I think there will be many people there that series just to boo Frank.....I hope it doesnt happen but thats my guess.....but watching Cleveland fans boo Thome just sounds so bad...I hope the cheers drown out the boos.
The obvious difference is Thome didnt have a diarrhea mouth after he was let go by the Toons. Thomas talked a lot of trash and will get booed for that.....not that I agree with it. Thome is a stand up and classy guy and shouldn't get booed cause his team was too damn cheap to keep him around. As i type, a "Thome sucks" chant. What a bunch of classless assclowns!

oeo
05-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Now, "Thome Sucks" chants. Wow...what did he ever do wrong?

sodfatherjunior
05-01-2006, 07:52 PM
ed and chris are commenting on it right now too. Singleton's words were "How are you a traitor, when you shop the market as a free agent and leave for more money?" Ed said multiple times, "They're calling him a traitor.............a traitor, about 10 times and then ask Chris Singleton how his flight was b/c it was really relevant to the broadcast. Nobody including myself seems to understand Thome beeing booed like this.

BnzCP
Now, "Thome Sucks" chants. Wow...what did he ever do wrong?

I'm hearing that too. I've never wanted a player to hit a homerun so bad before. Shut these people up.

Hitmen77
Although it is bush league for any team to do it (especially the Indians), I highly doubt it would even register nationally if sox fans did this. I mean the yankees-redsox are on tonight, the nfl draft was yesterday and we are in the midst of the NBA and NHL playoffs, I dont think it would be too big of a story. Lets put it in perspective.

did I ever say it would be the TOP story above the NFL draft, etc? Maybe if you didn't put words in my mouth, we wouldn't have to put my comments in perspective. Wow, I'm nuts to claim this would get bigger coverage than the massive immigration protests today!

All I said is that i think we'd hear comments about on local and national media if Sox fans did this. I could honestly see on BBTN or in the Tribune them making some wisecrack if our fans pulled that. That's my opinion and I stand by it.

HotelWhiteSox
05-01-2006, 07:53 PM
I will cheer Frank and am hoping/expecting most of Sox fans to do the same. I'm guessing a lot of the ones who do boo will be bandwagoners.

Magglio is a different situation, besides demanding more than a generous Sox offer after iffy injury information, he mouthed off against the organization and got in a war of words with Ozzie.

Unless there is something I don't know about , I don't think there were any bridges burned with Thome, as I still hear him call Cleveland classy (up to before tonight's game and in an interview before the season). He left for more money, but also left a team that sucked, can't blame him for not wanting to be a part of a rebuilding process.

Oh great, now "Thome sucks" chants. I feel embarrassed for Cleveland fans right now

INSox56
05-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Disgraceful, I'm surprised hawk is really taking the high road saying this is a small segment of the cleveland fan base. This is absolutely disgraceful. Chanting Thome Sucks and booing him WHILE he's at the plate. BONDS doesn't even get that treatment, they just boo him at plate introduction! Cheering when the ball is hit into the dugout and possibly injure someone is just disgusting.

ilsox7
05-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Disgraceful, I'm surprised hawk is really taking the high road saying this is a small segment of the cleveland fan base. This is absolutely disgraceful. Chanting Thome Sucks and booing him WHILE he's at the plate. BONDS doesn't even get that treatment, they just boo him at plate introduction! Cheering when the ball is hit into the dugout and possibly injure someone is just disgusting.

From my experience, it is just a small segment of Cleveland fans.

Max Power
05-01-2006, 08:03 PM
They booed Thome. Cleveland has to have the worst fans I have ever seen or heard!

What fans? The place is like half full.

buehrle4cy05
05-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Cleveland fans have showed no class today. Hopefully the actions of these fans do not represent their whole fan base. If they do, I have lost all my respect for Indians fans.

itsnotrequired
05-01-2006, 08:13 PM

That's exactly what Hawk was saying. Thome took the Ventura route and doesn't deserve to be treated like this. DJ even said that he'd like to see some of these "fans" turn down the big bucks.

Idiots...

rocky biddle
05-01-2006, 08:18 PM
I think that a lot of the animosity being shown toward JT is due to the uniform he's wearing. In their eyes, not only did Thome leave for greener pastures, but now he's landed on a hated division rival. Not to excuse their classless behavior. It's just my theory. I have to believe that if Frank had signed with the cubs (I know, not a 'rival' but still a hated team), he'd receive a lot more boos than he will when he returns with the A's. Just my 2 cents.

btw- I was at Magglio's first game back in Chicago and I seem to recall the cheers outnumbered the boos. Hopefully that will be the case for Frank's return. I know there will be a fair amount of people that will feel the need to boo, but hopefully the applause will drown them out.

HotelWhiteSox
05-01-2006, 08:20 PM
I think that a lot of the animosity being shown toward JT is due to the uniform he's wearing. In their eyes, not only did Thome leave for greener pastures, but now he's landed on a hated division rival. Not to excuse their classless behavior. It's just my theory. I have to believe that if Frank had signed with the cubs (I know, not a 'rival' but still a hated team), he'd receive a lot more boos than he will when he returns with the A's. Just my 2 cents.

btw- I was at Magglio's first game back in Chicago and I seem to recall the cheers outnumbered the boos. Hopefully that will be the case for Frank's return. I know there will be a fair amount of people that will feel the need to boo, but hopefully the applause will drown them out.

Yeah, but that's the thing, Thome didn't sign here. For them to call him a traitor for being a member of the White Sox just makes them look dumber IMO

Steelrod
05-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Magglio and Thomas keep shooting off their mouths.
Thome has never said anything harsh about Cleveland, or anywhere else for that matter!

churlish
05-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Frank will be given a standing ovation by the extreme majority of fans. If not, I will lose a lot of respect for some Sox fans. When I was growing up, I was supposed to be raised a Cubs fan, but I became a Sox fan after watching Frank Thomas hit when I was just a small child. I would imagine many other people were in similar situations. When people think of the face of the White Sox, they think Frank Thomas.

Steelrod
05-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Everyone is complaining on how Thomas left. He wanted to come back, he would have taken very little to come back, he was upset at the way the ChiSox handled it. Ozzie said the same thing happened to him when they parted ways when he was a player. I still dont know why people would be upset with Thomas for mouthing off. If I was part of a club for so long and let go without a call I would be mouthing off as well.
Nonsense!
He firstly invoked his option on the first day possible, rather than try to work something out. Our only option was to pay him 10 million, or wish him luck!!!

ZachAL
05-01-2006, 08:29 PM
did I ever say it would be the TOP story above the NFL draft, etc? Maybe if you didn't put words in my mouth, we wouldn't have to put my comments in perspective. Wow, I'm nuts to claim this would get bigger coverage than the massive immigration protests today!

All I said is that i think we'd hear comments about on local and national media if Sox fans did this. I could honestly see on BBTN or in the Tribune them making some wisecrack if our fans pulled that. That's my opinion and I stand by it.

woahhhh, no one claimed you said it would be top story. I guess we will have to see if it is mentioned on BBTN or SportsCenter as it is, and if so then this is a moot point. I happen to think they will mention it or pull a "wisecrack" as is.
All i'm trying to say is that though we find any negative news on the sox to be picking on us, I dont think much of the nation really cares unfortunately. I have encountered very few sports fans down here at school who would tell you the media has given them a negative perception of the Sox. We just notice any news good or bad.

Back to the point at hand, Cleveland fans can say whatever they want, it doesnt change the fact that they will finish behind detroit (who will finish behind us). :D:

flo-B-flo
05-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Yeah, they actually gave him a standing ovation. Yeah but they've been VERY abusive all game, even little kids.

cbotnyse
05-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I cant believe they are booing him!!! Does anybody know if he ever said a bad word about Cleveland??? Hawk just mentioned he is geting the same treatment AJ got in LA, except worse!

ZachAL
05-01-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm watching on Directv extra innings and they have Indians broadcast. Another bush league move by the Indians on the broadcast was making the "McDonalds I'm Loving It" moment of the game Thome striking out saying "Just what the fans were looking for" or something along those respects. Didn't even mention anything about pitcher or any indians related part of the play.

JUribe1989
05-01-2006, 08:55 PM
That was pathetic that they booed the man who did so much for their team in the 90's. He was the only one among Manny, Albert Belle, Carlos Baerga, Kenny Lofton, and many more that stayed with the Indians during their rebuilding stage. It is completely classless to boo someone who was your team in the 90's.

JUribe1989
05-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Sorry mods, shoulda looked further. I didn't realize their was already a thread on this.

VenturaFan23
05-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Ah, the sweet sound of jealousy :cool:

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Wow...that shut 'em up...:D:

chisoxmike
05-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Morons. Thats all I got to say. A bunch of morons.

RetireWoodys28
05-01-2006, 09:52 PM
They just cheered the chin music that barely missed Thome's head in the ninth. This crowd is classic no-class. Unreal. I know a couple Indians fans and they have a lot more class than the Jake-holes there tonight. I refuse to believe this is how all Indians fans feel about JT.

Thomas was basically forced out after 15 years. Our current manager had some really nasty things to say about how the Sox organization handled his situation after his tenure here ended, and he wasn't even here a full 15. Magglio - on the other hand - was a guy who was here less than 10 years, jumped the first chance he got to cash in playing for a division rival, and IMHO talked trash that was a lot more hurtful than the (typically me-me-me thoughtless) stuff Thomas said. If Magglio was ever the face of this organization, it's because Thomas was in his decline. Mags showed up last summer and got booed. I was there for his first game back (7/18) - ironically the same night FT hit his last HR in a Sox uniform - and tho I didn't boo, I wasn't clapping for him either.

Thomas will get the biggest ovation since Harold Baines hit a HR his first game back in the old park as a Ranger. Thome should have gotten that kind of reaction in Cleveland tonight. I'm embarassed for these morons.

EDIT: I accidentally typed "Jack-holes" instead of "Jake-holes." Not only did this ruin the pun, but it also struck as unneccesarily more vulgar than "Jake-hole."

mike squires
05-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Anyone check out the Indian boards to see why or get a different perspective on perhaps why they may be booing? Just curious. I hope we don't embarass ourselves as Indian fans did tonight when Frank comes up.

chisoxmike
05-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Memo to Sox fans:

Don't be stupid on May 22, 2006.

Mike

DumpJerry
Surprised that the Cleveland crowd booed Thome? Need I remind you that they are the only city that booed Michael Jordan. They booed him (Jordan) even after he taught them a lesson or two on why it is not a good idea to boo him.

Boneheads. Really. This is why they are Cleveland, not a fun city.

twsoxfan5
The fans tonight were complete scumbags. I have never heard a crowd act like that. I am sure this is not indicative of all Indians fans but the ones who were there tonight could not have been worse. I can even accept them booing him when he comes up to bat but when you cheer at a guy because he almost gets hit by a pitch or a hit then you show you are classless. They are going to interview Jim in a second and I bet he will have nothing but nice things to say about the team and the fans. Although I wish he would take a shot at them.

Bobbo35
05-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Mental midgets are what they are. That man brought that team more thrills in his years that and that is what they give him. Jim is all class though and will write it off. If any Sox fans do that to Thomas they are getting a piece of my mind.

chisoxmike
05-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Thome on the post game...
"I'm happy where I'm at and this proves it."

Uncle_Patrick
05-01-2006, 10:01 PM
The Indians fans are booing Thome because he had once claimed that they would have to "tear the uniform off of my back" in regards to possiblity that he'd ever leave the Cleveland organization, only to later leave via free-agency for Philly. The Indians fans never forgot that and felt he betrayed them by going back on his word. Thome ending up with the Sox only makes it worse for them. I saw this on Indians boards earlier in the year when they were discussing the fact that this would be the first time Thome will have been back to Cleveland since he left for the Phillies.

twsoxfan5
05-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Mental midgets are what they are. That man brought that team more thrills in his years that and that is what they give him. Jim is all class though and will write it off. If any Sox fans do that to Thomas they are getting a piece of my mind.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I hope everyone that is in here right now that is upset about what happened tonight does not treat Thomas the same way. I think giving Thomas the respect he deserves is what we will all end up doing.

IlliniSox4Life
05-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Memo to Sox fans:

Mike

CotC will give him a standing O. Hopefully it's contagious.

twsoxfan5
05-01-2006, 10:03 PM
The Indians fans are booing Thome because he had once claimed that they would have to "tear the uniform off of my back" in regards to possiblity that he'd ever leave the Cleveland organization, only to later leave via free-agency for Philly. The Indians fans never forgot that and felt he betrayed them by going back on his word. Thome ending up with the Sox only makes it worse for them. I saw this on Indians boards earlier in the year when they were discussing the fact that this would be the first time Thome will have been back to Cleveland since he left for the Phillies.

I challenge anyone who is offered an extra 25 million dollars to turn it down.

BeviBall!
05-01-2006, 10:09 PM
I'll give Hurt a standing ovation the first time, maybe the entire first game... but, then it's all business. I won't resort to booing, but I sure as heck ain't hearing bluebirds and seeing rainbows when I think about #35.

DickAllen72
05-01-2006, 10:12 PM

The big difference is that Magglio and his agent screwed the Sox around and didn't bargain in good faith. Then he made derogatory comments about the Sox "not wanting to win."

Remember also that early in the 2004 season he told reporters on a flight that he would love to play for the Cubs.

Thome gave Cleveland the chance to sign him and bargained in good faith. Cleveland offered him something like $60M and the Phillies went about $85M IIRC. Konerko turned down more money to stay with the Sox, but not that much more money. You can't blame Thome for leaving the Tribe.

The Tribe and their fans both proved to be classless tonight with the AJ drilling, the Boone collision, and the Thome booing.

California Sox
05-01-2006, 10:12 PM

Plus, Cleveland did everything but drive Thome to Philly. They were in the middle of their rebuilding plan and did not want to have a big contract. They replaced Thome with Hafner for much cheaper. Hafner has worked out fine. I don't see how any of this is Thome's fault or that the Tribe would necessarily be any better off if he had stayed. Idiots.

Lip Man 1
05-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Steelrod:

You haven't been around Phillie or Yankee fans much have you?

Lip

WizardsofOzzie
05-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Memo to Sox fans:

Mike

I'll be there and i'll be on my feet for the man that first got me watching the white sox....I'll always have respect for frank

Uncle_Patrick
05-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Plus, Cleveland did everything but drive Thome to Philly. They were in the middle of their rebuilding plan and did not want to have a big contract. They replaced Thome with Hafner for much cheaper. Hafner has worked out fine. I don't see how any of this is Thome's fault or that the Tribe would necessarily be any better off if he had stayed. Idiots.

Fans have selective memories unfortunately. Seriously, after the Thome trade, I checked out the Indians boards at mlb.com, espn.com, and scout.com and everyone had at least one thread where the fans mentioned the "tear the jersey off my back" comment. I also vaguely recall that, back then, the Indians' organization wasn't too keen on keeping Thome around for a ton of money. I guess the fans just expected him to take whatever he was offered.

Taliesinrk
05-01-2006, 10:29 PM
inregards to the earlier question about Damon's welcome.. it was very mixed; not a "standing O" as an earlier post said. Everyone was standing, but there were a fair amount of boos.

Furthermore, EVERYONE better get off their asses when Frank comes.. otherwise they're a disgrace..

They just showed the Sox clips on SportsCenter. They mentioned Thome and his first time back to Clev, and asked if his return would be like Damon's... then they just ignored the crowds reaction. I also heard the part of the radio broadcast and could hear the crowd in the background when Thome was almost hit in the head: disgusting.

Milw
05-01-2006, 10:36 PM
The early AP story (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060501soxgamer,1,7741609.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) doesn't hardly do justice to the disgusting nature of the boos, but it at least alludes to it ...

Thome was greeted with a mixture of boos and cheers when he came to the plate in the first. One sour Indians fan held up a cardboard sign that said: Et Tu, Thome? -- a reference to Thome's perceived betrayal.

With the White Sox leading 5-0 in the sixth, the crowd of 17,845 got a little testier, directing some derisive chants at Thome.

ChiSoxGirl
05-01-2006, 10:36 PM
I'll give Hurt a standing ovation the first time, maybe the entire first game... but, then it's all business. I won't resort to booing, but I sure as heck ain't hearing bluebirds and seeing rainbows when I think about #35.

I was out in Oakland a week & a half ago. I went to an A's game with DieTrying79 & FredManrique and we had great seats between home & first base on the 100 level. When Thomas was announced for his first at-bat, clad in my Sox bullpen fleece, I stood up and cheered him. Granted, I was the only one in my section (and probably the whole Coliseum) doing so, but nonetheless, I felt like it was something I had to do. He sure does look strange in the green, white & gold! When I'm at Core of the Core in a few weeks, I'll repeat my standing ovation for him.

D. TODD
05-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Magglio was never the face of the White Sox. Thome WAS the franchise in Cleveland. I think there's a big difference there. I agree Maggs to the Sox does not equal Thome to the Indians, but I don't understand the booing of Maggs either. He was injured and maximized his free agent year. Thome got a big offer from the Tribe, but no where near what the Phillies offered. The injury left the Sox in an unfair position if Maggs was to maximize his offers, but that's just the breaks. Now the animosity after he left was bad, but he is far from the only one with negative comments after a divorce from the Sox. I don't get the hatred, booing, and signs about either guy from their respective fan bases. They both played hard and well while in their teams uniforms.

thomas35forever
05-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Fortunately, I did see a couple of Indians fans giving Thome a standing ovation. Hats off to them. Everyone else should be ashamed for booing the face of their club during most of the '90s. I probably won't be at Frank's first game back, maybe his second. If I am, I am going to stand up and cheer everytime he's at the plate. If there are any Sox fans who do that, then they should feel embarrassed for themselves and for Sox fandom.

Epark84
05-01-2006, 10:41 PM
I remember when thomas got booed back when he struggled and a few big skirt signs, and it wasnt a cubs series, they were people in sox hats. Thome wasnt the unquestioned face of the tribe. They had manny, lofton, belle. Cleveland fans felt betrayed when he left when the team was rebuilding. Cleveland never won anything with thome, the division, but no world series. I love the fact that thome is with the sox, those fans payed for those tickets they can do whatever we want. Who knows how sox fans would have reacted if the sox were rebuilding and left on his own accord. Thomas was forced out (unfortunate, but he is hitting .190, ill take thome) so he shouldnt be booed. I doubt every fan was booing him.

MadetoOrta
05-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Please continue spreading the word - ON YOUR FEET FOR THE BIG HURT! My sophomore in high school loves Big Frank. Hearing boos for Big Frank at the Cell would break his [and mine] heart. Somehow, I see JR doing something classy. Video montage?

rookie
05-01-2006, 10:52 PM
My sis and I will be there for Frank's return on the 22nd. Of course we will be on our feet and cheer. I really don't understand why people would boo him.

I clapped for Maggs when he came back.

I could maybe see booing if your team has tanked since the player left, but the Sox are doing well without Maggs and Frank, so no hard feelings.

DumpJerry
05-01-2006, 10:56 PM
I was out in Oakland a week & a half ago. I went to an A's game with DieTrying79 & FredManrique and we had great seats between home & first base on the 100 level. When Thomas was announced for his first at-bat, clad in my Sox bullpen fleece, I stood up and cheered him. Granted, I was the only one in my section (and probably the whole Coliseum) doing so, but nonetheless, I felt like it was something I had to do. He sure does look strange in the green, white & gold! When I'm at Core of the Core in a few weeks, I'll repeat my standing ovation for him.
I nominate Jen for St. Fan of the Year.:smile:

Unregistered
05-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Please continue spreading the word - ON YOUR FEET FOR THE BIG HURT! My sophomore in high school loves Big Frank. Hearing boos for Big Frank at the Cell would break his [and mine] heart. Somehow, I see JR doing something classy. Video montage?
It's a stretch, but it would be nice if Brooks included some announcement like "Get on your feet and welcome one of the greatest White Sox players in history when he comes back to town with the Oakland A's" when promoting the series on TV and radio. At very least it'll plant the seeds that Frank deserves to be cheered and not booed.

As a Sox fan and a Frank Thomas fan, it'll be an embarrassing and shameful sight if Frank is booed when he comes back.

IronFisk
05-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Interestingly enough, a few weeks ago I was hanging out with a friend who lives in the Cleveland suburbs. He was totally ticked-off at Thome, and called him a giant "carpetbagger", and other comments about being a traitor.

Because of that, I was not surprised to hear the fans react as they did. No, I don't think it's justified, but I have to somewhat sympathize with a town that's all but fed-up with people skipping out for more money - like the Browns. But then again, it IS Cleveland :redneck.

Big Hurt is a totally different situation - I'll be ringing da cowbell extra fierce when he comes to bat!

ChiSoxGirl
05-01-2006, 11:00 PM
I nominate Jen for St. Fan of the Year.:smile:

Thanks! I do what I can to represent the Sox Army and exemplify class. :smile:

Chicken Dinner
05-01-2006, 11:04 PM
I don't think they were booing Thome as much as they were booing the uniform he was wearing.:o:

Milw
05-01-2006, 11:08 PM
I don't think they were booing Thome as much as they were booing the uniform he was wearing.:o:
If the fans can't separate the two, they're not good fans.

chisoxmike
05-01-2006, 11:09 PM

They're morons. Plan and simple.

Norberto7
05-01-2006, 11:10 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050114/050114_leinart_hmed_4p.hmedium.jpg

"I may take you up on that, twsoxfan."

Vestigio
05-01-2006, 11:12 PM
I dont understand the Magglio and Thome comparison. Like many have said before me, Thome was much more of a face than Magglio.

Yes both players did cash in when they went to the market. But thats where the similarities end. I may be wrong, but wasnt the reason Sharpio did not offer more money to Thome was because of his back problems?

Magglio said he wanted to stay in Chicago a year before his contract season, but it took KW and Magglio two seasons to work out a contract. When he went down with his knee injury, Boras refused Sox doctors to checkup on Magglio. KW went out of his way to try to resign the injured Magglio, offering a couple million less than Detroit's offer. I dont regret booing Magglio at the first game he came back to Chicago.

Chicken Dinner
05-01-2006, 11:16 PM

Yeah right!

http://www.wchstv.com/abc/drew/cast.jpg

Settembrini
05-01-2006, 11:17 PM
They're morons. Plan and simple.

Check out a few Indians boards -- their feelings are almost unanimous. They feel betrayed. I sincerely doubt an entire fan base is made up of morons. I love Thome, but he probably shouldn't have led the fans to believe he was going to stay if there was a chance he wouldn't.

D. TODD
05-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Check out a few Indians boards -- their feelings are almost unanimous. They feel betrayed. I sincerely doubt an entire fan base is made up of morons. I love Thome, but he probably shouldn't have led the fans to believe he was going to stay if there was a chance he wouldn't.Baseball is a buisness, players move on when circumstances change. I don't see that as a betrayal. That's why I don't get booing Thome, Maggs, etc., but to each their own. If it makes them feel better let the hatred flow like a jilted ex-lover.

JB98
05-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Check out a few Indians boards -- their feelings are almost unanimous. They feel betrayed. I sincerely doubt an entire fan base is made up of morons. I love Thome, but he probably shouldn't have led the fans to believe he was going to stay if there was a chance he wouldn't.

I'm pretty confident the entire Cleveland fan base is made up of morons. I've never had a pleasant encounter with an Indians fan in my entire life. The Tribe trolls here on WSI are without question the worst.

ilsox7
05-01-2006, 11:23 PM
I'm pretty confident the entire Cleveland fan base is made up of morons. I've never had a pleasant encounter with an Indians fan in my entire life. The Tribe trolls here on WSI are without question the worst.

I couldn't disagree more. The vast majority of Cleveland fans I've run into have been good fans. And I ran into plenty while I lived there.

DaBears
05-01-2006, 11:29 PM

Which explains why they booed him after almost getting hit intentionally in the head??

JB98
05-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I couldn't disagree more. The vast majority of Cleveland fans I've run into have been good fans. And I ran into plenty while I lived there.

I'd much rather watch baseball with Twins fans. The Tribe fans have been nothing but disrespectful jackasses every time I've encountered them. You won't convince me otherwise, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

RealMenWearBlack
05-01-2006, 11:31 PM

I would like to have seen how they would have reacted had his first game back at Jacobs Field been with the Phillies.

chisoxmike
05-01-2006, 11:37 PM
I'd much rather watch baseball with Twins fans.

Ugh, they are just annoying. Last August during that 16inning marathon, Twins fans, mind you, the Twins were 15 out at this point, were prancing around after the win, during the game they were chanting "lets go twinkies."

Much like Sox fans, Indians fans at least realize when they suck.

One more thing, let me be clear about something. With all of our (and my) bashing of the Indians fans and Twins fans...they all think we are idiots too.

rookie
05-01-2006, 11:41 PM
I will give them a little benefit of the doubt and say maybe he led them on a bit, but they (and Red Sox fans i.e. Damon) need to let it go. Players are going to go where the money or the chance for a ring is. If Paulie had signed with the Angels it would never enter into my head to boo him. Are you crazy? Like it or not, players do not make life decisions based on their fans. People need to get over themselves.

mrs. hendu
05-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Frank will be given a standing ovation by the extreme majority of fans. If not, I will lose a lot of respect for some Sox fans. When I was growing up, I was supposed to be raised a Cubs fan, but I became a Sox fan after watching Frank Thomas hit when I was just a small child. I would imagine many other people were in similar situations. When people think of the face of the White Sox, they think Frank Thomas.
I haven't been a baseball and Sox follower as many years as a lot of people on this board, but when I was first introduced to baseball and the White Sox, Frank Thomas' name was the first one I learned. He stayed with this organization for so long, was an outstanding player, and never wanted to leave. You can count on me giving him a standing ovation should I ever go see him play.

D. TODD
05-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Ugh, they are just annoying. Last August during that 16inning marathon, Twins fans, mind you, the Twins were 15 out at this point, were prancing around after the win, during the game they were chanting "lets go twinkies."

Indians fans at least realize when they suck.

One more thing, let me be clear about something. With all of our (and my) bashing of the Indians fans and Twins fans...they all think we are idiots too. Every team has their share of idiot fans, and those are the ones that you will remember not the many more that don't draw attention to theirself.

MUsoxfan
05-02-2006, 12:05 AM
I would like to have seen how they would have reacted had his first game back at Jacobs Field been with the Phillies.

It would have been 20x worse. If the Phils had played at Jacobs the year Thome left they probably would have needed armed guards around him. The team sucked, he led the team and the fans to believe he would stay and they didn't really have a proven replacement yet.

Chicken Dinner
05-02-2006, 12:13 AM
http://www.americanrevwar.homestead.com/files/ARNOLD.GIF

Benedict Arnold would go to Philly

ws05champs
05-02-2006, 12:13 AM
If anyone has ever sat near a Cleveland fan when they come to Chicago to watch the Indians play the Sox, you would not be surprised by the reaction Thome got tonight.

Cleveland fans are as obnoxious as any drunken Cubs fan you will ever see. Everytime their team gets a hit they act like this it is the first time it ever happened. Coming from Chicago, I would be very leery about acting with the disrespect these people show, if I ever saw the Sox on the road.

MUsoxfan
05-02-2006, 12:16 AM
If anyone has ever sat near a Cleveland fan when they come to Chicago to watch the Indians play the Sox, you would not be surprised by the reaction Thome got tonight.

Cleveland fans are as obnoxious as any drunken Cubs fan you will ever see. Everytime their team gets a hit they act like this it is the first time it ever happened. Coming from Chicago, I would be very leery about acting with the disrespect these people show, if I ever saw the Sox on the road.

I've been lurking on the Indians scout.com message boards for the last couple months and got a pretty good idea that Jimmy would be booed out of town tonight.

doublem23
05-02-2006, 12:25 AM
You have to forgive Cleveland Indian fans... they're all just a bunch of Brown fans with nothing to do between December and September and really have no idea how to act at a baseball game. Plus, you can't blame them... cheering for the Tribe, Cavs, and Browns? Ugh. That is a sorry collection of championship-less sports there.

FoulTerritory
05-02-2006, 12:35 AM

One time in 97 (I think), I was in the lower deck along the first baseline during BP and this Cleveland fan was standing at the railing at the bottom of the upper deck screaming trash talk and obscenities at all the Sox fans down below him -- saying we're Cleveland's bitches and stuff like that and worse. And this one Sox fan near me, with a booming voice, shouted up to him, "I have two words for you. Michael Jordan. Now you can shut up" and the whole section started laughing at him, and he sort of blanched and and then walked up to his seat and sat down. It was quite funny.

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2006, 12:58 AM
Who are you guys crappin'? Thome may have not said anything bad about the Indians, but come on. He had already made more money than the average baseball fan will make in 20 lifetimes, but he left Cleveland voluntarily for more money in Philly.

Ordonez held out for more money. He'd have been booed whether he said anything negative about the Sox or not.

I'm very happy to have Thome on the Sox, but stop the "holier than thou" crap.

Now, as far as being classy, the much maligned Boston fans gave Damon a standing ovation tonight. He not only left for more money, but to the most hated rival in the same division. However, some of you talk about booing Frank because he expressed frustration about being cut loose by the White Sox.

Steelrod
05-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Steelrod:

You haven't been around Phillie or Yankee fans much have you?

Lip
You'd be surprised Lip!

Steelrod

MUsoxfan
05-02-2006, 01:34 AM
Who are you guys crappin'? Thome may have not said anything bad about the Indians, but come on. He had already made more money than the average baseball fan will make in 20 lifetimes, but he left Cleveland voluntarily for more money in Philly.

Ordonez held out for more money. He'd have been booed whether he said anything negative about the Sox or not.

I'm very happy to have Thome on the Sox, but stop the "holier than thou" crap.

Now, as far as being classy, the much maligned Boston fans gave Damon a standing ovation tonight. He not only left for more money, but to the most hated rival in the same division. However, some of you talk about booing Frank because he expressed frustration about being cut loose by the White Sox.

I'm with you 100%. I know if (God forbid) I was a Toons fan I would certainly boo Thome. If I was a Sawx fan I'd be the leader of the boobirds.

I can't boo Frank. I bought tickets to two of those games expressly to give him a standing ovation.

TheKittle
05-02-2006, 01:35 AM

Maybe we get different ESPN broadcasts. Yes Boston fans stood up when Damon came to bat. But there were plenty of boos for Damon.

Tomorrow at the Angel-Beane Sprouts game, I'll see Frank for the first time wearing a different uniform than the White Sox. I'll stand up and cheer for him because he was my favorite player.

mrs. hendu
05-02-2006, 01:41 AM
Maybe we get different ESPN broadcasts. Yes Boston fans stood up when Damon came to bat. But there were plenty of boos for Damon.

Johnny Damon (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5484/) stepped to the plate to lead off the game and was booed for 30 seconds by the crowd at Fenway Park.

Somewhere in there, though, were just enough cheers to make him raise his new Yankees helmet. "I planned on doing it if I heard enough cheering, and I did," Damon said. (Yahoo)

ArkanSox
05-02-2006, 02:01 AM
The Tribe fans pay their bucks to attend the games, so let them boo Thome if they want, though I personally feel that it's classless. As for Frank, I'd also be frustrated to get cut by MY team who had just won the World Series, especially after all the great years given to them. But, I think his frustration goes even further than that. Deep down, he must know that he just can't physically cut it any more. I saw him play over the weekend. It is painful just to watch him trying to run. It has to be awfully tough for a great ballplayer when it comes time to hang up the cleats.

RealMenWearBlack
05-02-2006, 03:01 AM

It was thought that the Phillies would be competitive sooner than the Indians, and it was the beginning of the Twins' AL Central Championship run. I probably wouldn't be very upset with a Sox player if he signed with a team from the NL East to go to a better situation financially and competitively.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I'd be very surprised if more than 2 or 3 posters said they could boo Frank. As for the Boston fans' reaction, it was kind of mixed, which really surprised me. There was really no reason for Damon to go to a new team, especially the Yankees, but some of the Boston fans were gracious and thankful for what he helped the Red Sox accomplish in 2004. I can't say I'd cheer for Damon if I were in there shoes.

WikdChiSoxFan
05-02-2006, 03:07 AM
Anyone got the specs on that deal? What Thome turned down? What Phillie gave him?

When myself and a couple of friends went out to Cleveland, we saw a couple of guys wearing Thome Indians jersey's with Thome's name crossed out with tape. I hadn't really followed that deal a while back or the reaction, so I was suprised to see that they had turned against him. But I expected the boos, just would have rather seen a mix.

On a side note, Cleveland fans do seem to be rather abrasive. On our trip we met a lot of hostility. (I attributed this to the fact that there were a lot of Sox fans who had descended upon the Jake and we were kickin their butt pretty good.) But later that night, the bouncer at a bar we went to in Cleveland had seen us at the game. She straight up insulted us for no reason. (Well, perhaps the Carl Everett cheer was impeding upon a Cleveland fan's experience.) I would have turned around and left, but we were thirsty...:gulp:

IlliniSox4Life
05-02-2006, 03:15 AM
Anyone got the specs on that deal? What Thome turned down? What Phillie gave him?

Don't know the exact details, but from what Hawk and DJ said, I believe the Toons offered him a 60 million dollar contract and the Phillies an 80-85 million dollar contract. That contract probably included an extra year or two in it, but that's 20-25 million dollars more. I don't care who you are, there has to be some pretty significant circumstances for you to take the 60 million over the 80-85.

RealMenWearBlack
05-02-2006, 03:17 AM

I'm not sure how many years he had on the contract, but I know Thome's making $14,166,667 this year (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=chw).

RealMenWearBlack
05-02-2006, 03:23 AM
Don't know the exact details, but from what Hawk and DJ said, I believe the Toons offered him a 60 million dollar contract and the Phillies an 80-85 million dollar contract. That contract probably included an extra year or two in it, but that's 20-25 million dollars more. I don't care who you are, there has to be some pretty significant circumstances for you to take the 60 million over the 80-85.

IIRC, the Sox offer to Maggs was comprable to what the Tigers offered him, and was a very generous offer considering that he wouldn't let the Sox doctors check him out to see if he was OK to play. Thome's situation really is only remotely similar to Maggs' situation.

IlliniSox4Life
05-02-2006, 03:25 AM
I'm not sure how many years he had on the contract, but I know Thome's making $14,166,667 this year (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=chw).

:o: I didn't realize that Hermie was making more money than the rest of the bullpen combined....that's kind of an interesting fact. If you include Hermanson, the bullpen is making 5.9% of the overall money made by the rest of the players (in reality, it's a larger percentage of our payroll because we got money to take Thome/Vazquez/Contreras IIRC). If you don't include Hermanson, the bullpen is making 2.9% of the total of what everyone is making.

doublem23
05-02-2006, 03:37 AM
Jim Thome is making more than the entire Marlins team... Ridiculous.

Taliesinrk
05-02-2006, 03:39 AM
alright.. wow.. too much to comment on in this thread...

1. to Nellie: the BoSox fans certainly didn't give him a standing O, just b/c there was standing. It appeared to me to be about 50/50 at best.

2. if anyone in here says Mags' situation was similar to Thome's (or anyone's for that matter) again, I'm going to insert the chuncks tag. Mags is possibly more classless than those Indian fans. He withheld info from the Sox, lied to the media (i don't know if the sox were completely forthright or not either), and trashed his former team and organization. he showed no loyalty to the sox and pretty much gave a big **** you to chicago and the team. What mags did sure made him out to seem like trash... whether he's changed or not, I don't know... nor do i care.

3. I think it was NEllie who said ppl in here were ready to boo Frank... if so, i missed their posts and would like to know who they are and why they would do such a stupid thing...

wassagstdu
05-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Stunning lack of class. Can the Indians players keep any respect for their fans? The cheers for the line drive into the Sox dugout was the lowest fans can go.

BnzCP
05-02-2006, 05:47 AM
Nonsense!
He firstly invoked his option on the first day possible, rather than try to work something out. Our only option was to pay him 10 million, or wish him luck!!!

Your the type of person that wouldn't have been happy no matter what he did. If he optioned his contract on the last day you would say, why did he wait so long, he put our club in hiatus. Or did you expect him to just forgo the contract that they signed out of the goodness of his heart?

It was a process, the contracts had been set long ago. It was his option to want to stay and the clubs option to keep him or pay him to leave. They dropped him right away (we all knew that would happen) but they could have also offered him the same amount the As did. But they didn't. They re-signed Paul and picked up Thome and didn't respond to Thomas. That's messed up in my book. They didn't say anything because they figured if Thome fell through they would need Thomas and didn't want to upset him.

I don't blame the club, nor can I blame Thomas for the way he reacted. He was pissed. Apparently so was Ozzie when they did the same thing to him.

I think we can all agree on one thing, no matter where Rowand plays, he will never be booed at home. Chicago.

itsnotrequired
05-02-2006, 06:07 AM

The Phillies contract was for 6 years, $85 million. A $10 million sighning bonus was also spread out over the first four years. The break down by year:

2003: $12 million (includes $2.5 million bonus)
2004: $13.050 million (includes $2.5 million bonus and $50,000 All Star bonus)
2005: $14 million (includes $2.5 million bonus)
2006: $15 million (includes $2.5 million bonus)
2007: $14 million
2008: $14 million

There is a 2009 club option for $13 million or a $3 million buyout. The Phillies are paying $22 million of his remaining salary so the Sox essentially got him for three years, $21 million. That's a pretty good deal.

thepaulbowski
05-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Hogwash. Magglio was our best player and only All-Star for a few years (Frank's down years). Thome always had other good players with him. They were comparable in their "face of the franchise" factor.

Magglio talked trash about the organization and left with a cloud of speculation behind him. Thome had nothing but goods things to say about an organization that lowballed him with a contract offer. One acted like a true professional & the other wimpered & moaned. Now tell me, where is the similarity in these two situations.

Oh wait, there is none.

itsnotrequired
05-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Magglio talked trash about the organization and left with a cloud of speculation behind him. Thome had nothing but goods things to say about an organization that lowballed him with a contract offer. One acted like a true professional & the other wimpered & moaned. Now tell me, where is the similarity in these two situations.

Oh wait, there is none.

I think the whole "you don't need to check out my knee but give me a contract anyway" routine left a bitter taste in Sox fan's mouthes. Magglio wasn't worthy of boos at his return to Chicago but he certainly didn't deserve a standing ovation. I'm not saying Thome deserved a standing ovation (after all, he is on a divisional rival and 4 years removed from the city) but some polite applause was far more warranted then a chorus of boos.

fquaye149
05-02-2006, 08:10 AM

WILD THING YOU MAKE MY BUTT STINK!

Steelrod
05-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Your the type of person that wouldn't have been happy no matter what he did. If he optioned his contract on the last day you would say, why did he wait so long, he put our club in hiatus. Or did you expect him to just forgo the contract that they signed out of the goodness of his heart?

It was a process, the contracts had been set long ago. It was his option to want to stay and the clubs option to keep him or pay him to leave. They dropped him right away (we all knew that would happen) but they could have also offered him the same amount the As did. But they didn't. They re-signed Paul and picked up Thome and didn't respond to Thomas. That's messed up in my book. They didn't say anything because they figured if Thome fell through they would need Thomas and didn't want to upset him.

I don't blame the club, nor can I blame Thomas for the way he reacted. He was pissed. Apparently so was Ozzie when they did the same thing to him.

I think we can all agree on one thing, no matter where Rowand plays, he will never be booed at home. Chicago.
You obviously didn't read what I responded to. Once Frank exercised his option, the Sox only option was to pay the option or let him go. It is perfectly clear that they COULD NOT pay him what the A's did until May 1st!

I totally agree with your last line, but I don't boo any ex-Sox player

bigsoxfan420
05-02-2006, 08:20 AM
I don't really care about any of the contract deals that had to do with Thome leaving Cleveland. I think it was very low class for the Tribe fans to "boo" Thome. For one thing the guy spent 14 years of his career in that city and has said how much he loves Cleveland (I believe he just sold his house there this year!). Secondly, it was three years ago, GET A LIFE! I could see feeling betrayed (as a fan) if a Thome-like player left the Sox and signed with the Indians, Royals, etc., but Thome went to the National league first. You would think the Cleveland fans would appreciate the chance to see an all-time Tribe legend again.

It would be like booing Thomas (which I would never do) and HE did talk a bunch of smack about the Sox. All Thome does is praise his former team and city. What a ****!

Frankly Missing
05-02-2006, 08:25 AM
I followed Thomes departure from Cleveland closely at the time. I have family ties in Peoria and watched the saga unfold. What Cleveland fans feel for Thome goes beyond betrayal.

Thome did say they would have to tear the uniform off hs back in order for him to leave the Indians.

Cleveland upped their offer several times in an attempt to out bid Phillie. Thome dragged his feet for weeks, Cleveland upped their offer from 48 to 63 million over 5 years. They added 2 more nonguaranteed years worth 24 million.

Cleveland tried to be creative in their contact also, knowing they couldnt match Phillies offer. They pledged to call part of Jacobs Field "Thomes Terrace" and offered him a job in the organization after retirement.

When he made his announcement, he stated it was a hard decision, it had nothing to do with money, and said "It comes down to winning."

Then he went on to say although the money was not a factor, he had to look to the future since he and his wife were starting a family.

Indian fans were certain Thome would stay and were shocked to say the least. The Indian fans I know were flat out crushed.

Now that he has come to the White Sox, they feel he first plunged a knife in their back, and now he has twisted it.

wdelaney72
05-02-2006, 08:26 AM

I'm sorry, but I refuse to cheer for another player wearing another team's uniform in my ballpark. No disrespect to Frank, I loved him as a player and greatly appreciate his years of service with the White Sox. I most certainly wouldn't dream of booing him, and anyone who does should be beaten. That being said, until he walks into Cooperstown wearing his White Sox cap, my applause for big Frank is done.

ILuvThatDuck
05-02-2006, 08:39 AM
Classless act, no doubt about it.

Lets hope Big Frank gets a better reception when he comes back to town.

twsoxfan5
05-02-2006, 08:44 AM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050114/050114_leinart_hmed_4p.hmedium.jpg

"I may take you up on that, twsoxfan."

Can I pay in installments?

Tragg
05-02-2006, 08:44 AM
I didn't see or hear it, but I'd bet 75% of that booing is because of the Sox. I doubt they'd boo all game if he played for the Royals.

The Magglio booing is likely to get rowdier if the Tigers are legit.

Frank should never be booed in Chicago.

Uncle_Patrick
05-02-2006, 08:54 AM
I didn't see or hear it, but I'd bet 75% of that booing is because of the Sox. I doubt they'd boo all game if he played for the Royals.

The Magglio booing is likely to get rowdier if the Tigers are legit.

Frank should never be booed in Chicago.

Indians fans feel that Thome betrayed them by leaving via free agency. They would have booed him just as loud if he showed up in a Phillies uniform.

I think the booing for Maggs only gets louder only if Maggs is doing damage to the Sox. The difference between Thome and Maggs is that Thome left and Cleveland went downhill. Maggs left the Sox and we won the World Series. Its harder to hold that grudge when the team actually does better after you leave.

Frank should not be booed by Sox fans, but don't be surprised if we see some "Remember what a jerk Frank Thomas was?"-type articles in the newspapers just before he hits town.

Hangar18
05-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Indians fans feel that Thome betrayed them by leaving via free agency. They would have booed him just as loud if he showed up in a Phillies uniform.

Frank should not be booed by Sox fans, but don't be surprised if we see some "Remember what a jerk Frank Thomas was?"-type articles in the newspapers just before he hits town.

Thome told the Indians he wanted to stay, secretly met with the Cubs, then joined the Phillies. He wanted to be in the midwest, so I think the fact that hes now within the division, makes him boo-able. But thats cool.
The Indians and Sox are big rivals

MarySwiss
05-02-2006, 09:07 AM
TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3118)

Final paragraph.

Tragg
05-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Thome went FA when they began dismantling their team and got rid of all of their high salary players. Do they boo Manny like that? I bet they don't boo Colon (since that trade brought the core of their young players). We're their rival and teams like to hate us: Ozzie, AJ (whom we didn't like when he was a Twin) and Harrelson are brash and run their mouths. That adds fuel and makes it a lot of fun. Plus, when's the last time we lost a game in Cleveland? It's been a while (to say the least).

Frank can be a jerk after he leaves town and would still deserve the Sox fans respect (I wish he would keep his trap shut). I'm sure the writers will highlight the ugly part; they always did when he was in Chicago.

Jerko
05-02-2006, 09:17 AM

I didn't read this whole thread yet, but that's the first thing I thought of. Those Indian fans looked VERY classless last night booing Thome, and I hope we act/look better than that when Frank comes to town in about 3 weeks.

oeo
05-02-2006, 09:27 AM
I didn't read this whole thread yet, but that's the first thing I thought of. Those Indian fans looked VERY classless last night booing Thome, and I hope we act/look better than that when Frank comes to town in about 3 weeks.

Just give him a standing ovation the first time he comes to the plate. After that, he's just another guy, don't do anything. These idiots booed Thome every single time he came to the plate, and I'm sure they will do it again today. One time was enough to get your point across...

LongLiveFisk
05-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Memo to Sox fans:

Mike

I will be there with my Thomas #35 shirt and I will give him a standing ovation.

Iwritecode
05-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Cleveland never won anything with thome, the division, but no world series.

Actually, they were only two outs away from a World Series Championship in 1997.

They don't like Jose Mesa much either...

Steelrod
05-02-2006, 10:18 AM
TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3118)

Final paragraph.
Good catch.
I hope players considering Cleveland in the future take note of what happens if you don't stay!

LongLiveFisk
05-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Good catch.
I hope players considering Cleveland in the future take note of what happens if you don't stay!

Exactly...I know it would make me think twice about going there. As if I'd need another reason to think twice.

IronFisk
05-02-2006, 10:21 AM

Uh, yeah they would. If the Phillies would have played an IL game there, it would have been just as loud - if not worse.

AZChiSoxFan
05-02-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm pretty confident the entire Cleveland fan base is made up of morons.

One of the best posts I've read in quite a while.

tick53
05-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Poor Jim, I think it hurt his feelings. He always speaks well of Cleveland.

MarySwiss
05-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Poor Jim, I think it hurt his feelings. He always speaks well of Cleveland.
And he did it again today. He's a really class act, and the Sox are lucky to have him.

Hitmen77
05-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Good articles from the Sun Times AND the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-cowley03.html

http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports/1146559018175410.xml?s1bud&coll=2

http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports/1146645222236420.xml?sxoth&coll=2

Milw
05-03-2006, 09:18 AM
I kinda missed not caring about the Indians and their fans these last few years. Good to have them back in the fold, especially since the Twinks have gone the way of the Royals.

robinohio2
05-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Well I wrote a long version but it dissappeared between the post button and the thread.

*Thome received one more year from Philly in the contract, and the money that goes with that one year.

*Thome had made the statement "They will have to tear this Cleveland jersyey from my back." - Which made everyone believe he was going to stay.

*Ramirez and Belle left without making any indication they would stay.

*Part of the Cleveland contract included a statue of Jim Thome next to the Bob Feller statue, one hand on batting helmet, the other pointing to the bleachers. Also, as you can extrapolate that his name and face would be everywhere. guaranteed retired number and all that jazz.

--Thome didn't just take a better contract offer from Philly, he turned away the chance to be a sports icon in Cleveland forever. Think Elway in denver.

* Also, Thome had a no-trade clause and approved Chicago, so he did have some say as to where he went.

In closing, I am not saying that Cleveland fans should have booed or cheered him. Just saying there is a lot more to it than what Ozzie says.

Sarah
05-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Here's my take (http://relativelynormal.blogspot.com/2006/05/white-sox-game-may-1-2006.html), a bit long to post here. To summarize, I have little trouble with booing, a lot of trouble with fans throwing things and belive that Frank will be cheered upon his return to Sox Park.

-Sarah-

ilsox7
05-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Well I wrote a long version but it dissappeared between the post button and the thread.

*Thome received one more year from Philly in the contract, and the money that goes with that one year.

*Thome had made the statement "They will have to tear this Cleveland jersyey from my back." - Which made everyone believe he was going to stay.

*Part of the Cleveland contract included a statue of Jim Thome next to the Bob Feller statue, one hand on batting helmet, the other pointing to the bleachers. Also, as you can extrapolate that his name and face would be everywhere. guaranteed retired number and all that jazz.

--Thome didn't just take a better contract offer from Philly, he turned away the chance to be a sports icon in Cleveland forever. Think Elway in denver.

* Also, Thome had a no-trade clause and approved Chicago, so he did have some say as to where he went.

In closing, I am not saying that Cleveland fans should have booed or cheered him. Just saying there is a lot more to it than what Ozzie says.

Just to clarify, he has said on a few occasions that he would have waived the NTC for only Chicago and Cleveland. So it was the Phillies job to get a deal done with either team.

Hitmen77
05-03-2006, 01:46 PM
If you don't select "remember me" when you log in, I have found that the system logs you out if you take to long writing a message.

I don't know - these seem like weak reasons to savagly boo a man who is reported to be one of the nicest people in baseball and did so much for the Indians franchise. Fan favorite Robin Ventura left the Sox for more money and we still enthusiastically greeted him in his 1st game back to Chicago.

You conveniently fail to mention that the Philly offer was for $25 million more. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any ballplayer who turned down that much money.

So, in conclusion, Ramirez and Belle are better people than Thome? :?:

Wait a minute, Jim Thome wasn't interested in have a statue erected in his honor? Wow, what a self-centered, conceited jerk!

Word is he only would approve trades to Cleveland or Chicago. In case you didn't know it, Thome was born and raised in Illinois and has family in Illinois. How dare he remember his roots!

Maybe, but the fans at Jacobs Field were still very classless on Monday.

WSDaytonOH
05-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I hope for the first at bat, he gets a standing O. From both the cheers and the boos. Next at bat, he's just another Athletic DH.

If I could go, I'd cheer wearing my '93 Thomas jersey.

Will he get his ring before the game? :?:

thomas35forever
05-03-2006, 07:19 PM
I hope for the first at bat, he gets a standing O. From both the cheers and the boos. Next at bat, he's just another Athletic DH.

If I could go, I'd cheer wearing my '93 Thomas jersey.

Will he get his ring before the game? :?:

I think someone from the front office gave him his ring before a game, so my guess would be no.