PDA

View Full Version : Ayone have any idea why Nardi is still here? Or why he should be here?

RedPinStripes
01-28-2002, 07:47 AM
I think it's the "circle of friends deal". JR always keeps his pals around even when they are usless. Every time his idiot goes out to the mound, something bad happens right after he leaves. Anyone notice how he yells and swears at eh young pitchers he can push around? No bs here guys. Watch him closly when he talks to Garland, Wright, and used to talk to Kip.

I told a few people about that and they did notice it after watching for it. This guy seems like a real ******* tool that serves no purpose beside killing pitchers. I just had to vent. One of the things that will bother me in April is seeing this useless piece of crap with the team.

pearso66
01-28-2002, 02:22 PM
well i never noticed that, but i'll have to keep an eye on it this year, thanks for the input

FarmerAndy
01-28-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Every time his idiot goes out to the mound, something bad happens right after he leaves.

And that's not a good thing, because Nardi makes alot of trips to the mound. Maybe our pitchers would be better off if he didn't go out there every 2 minutes.

MattSharp
01-28-2002, 02:56 PM
The thing is, I always thought this guy sucked. He was the pitching coach in Seattle a few years ago when they had the worst bullpen in the majors. They were ridicously bad, and he was fired. He sucked then and he still sucks now.

Daver
01-28-2002, 04:26 PM
Twang............................................. ...........................................Thump.

:firenardi

duke of dorwood
01-28-2002, 05:57 PM
I sat by the bullpen last year, right in front of where he stood during warm ups, he hardly did any instructing there, and just stood as a "batter" while the pitcher warmed up.

kermittheefrog
01-28-2002, 08:06 PM
Why is there such a movement to fire Nardi? Look at what's he's done with Buehrle, Siro and Cal Eldred. Keith Foulke blossomed under Nardi, as did Kelly Wunsch. Jim Parque was pretty good and James Baldwin finally had the year everyone expected him to have under Nardi in 2000. What is the argument he's hurting the team?

Daver
01-28-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Why is there such a movement to fire Nardi? Look at what's he's done with Buehrle, Siro and Cal Eldred. Keith Foulke blossomed under Nardi, as did Kelly Wunsch. Jim Parque was pretty good and James Baldwin finally had the year everyone expected him to have under Nardi in 2000. What is the argument he's hurting the team?

Nardi did nothing for Cal Eldred,Herm Schneider did.As for what has Nardi done for this team?Well there are those 11 pitchers on the DL last year,the fact that he outright told Rocky Biddle to pitch hurt,the fact that he did nothing for Mark Buehrle,David Wells did,Need I go on?..................

bc2k
01-28-2002, 09:16 PM
what the hell do you know daver? well you know alot on this topic. David wells did help the young sox pitchers in one year than nardi has done in his entire tenure. As I said before, regardless of talent, nardi should be fired based solely on his coat wearing in summer heatwaves. What the hell is he thinking? He must think he is pitching the game the way he wears that coat.

RedPinStripes
01-29-2002, 02:09 PM

Yeah. Look what he did for Siro, eldred, wunsch, parque, Simas, Biddle, Howry, ect. They all had surgury! I think you forgot to use teal.

kermittheefrog
01-29-2002, 04:42 PM

Yeah. Look what he did for Siro, eldred, wunsch, parque, Simas, Biddle, Howry, ect. They all had surgury! I think you forgot to use teal.

The Sox handle their starting pitchers as carefully as anyone in the game. They keep guys on tough pitch counts and for that I'm willing to look past the injuries. A lot of pitchers get hurt, pitchign is an unnatrual function for the human body, the fact that the Sox are careful with their arms enforces the fact that pitching arms are fragile. In my opinion it's not a knock on Nardi that Siro and Parque got hurt.

Daver, how the hell do you know who helped Mark Buehrle? Sure he's given some credit to David Wells but he was tearing up the minors before David Wells was here, he pitched solid with the Sox in 2000 before David Wells was here and he won his rotation spot in spring training before he had spent any significant time around Wells. If you wanna say Nardi had nothing to do with Mark Buehlre becoming the pitcher he is then you are clearly biased. If you think Buehrle isn't enough that's one thing but to say Nardi had nothing to do with Buehrle is ridiculous.

And Nardi did nothing for Eldred? Well Eldred had a lot of injury problems but it had been a long time since he pitched like anything even when he was healthy before he got to the Sox.

Take a look at the Sox ERA rankings the last 5 years:
97 - 10
98 - 14 (last)
99 - 7 (Nardi's first full year)
00 - 4
01 - 8

I wouldn't say Nardi is doing a wonderful job but he's certainly an improvement. He's developed Buehrle and Foulke, Garland is on the verge of being good. Gary Glover had an ERA of 5 IN THE MINORS with the Blue Jays the year before he came to the Sox. He could be another Nardi success story. Rocky Biddle has shown some flashes. I think Nardi is doing a pretty good job. Who would they hire to replace him anyway?

Daver
01-29-2002, 04:46 PM

I think Nardi is doing a pretty good job. Who would they hire to replace him anyway?

Tommy John and Goose Gossage come to mind,as does Cal Eldred.I doubt any of them would tell a pitcher to pitch hurt.

hold2dibber
01-29-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by daver

Tommy John and Goose Gossage come to mind,as does Cal Eldred.I doubt any of them would tell a pitcher to pitch hurt.

Please provide details on your allegation that he ordered Biddle to pitch hurt -- what is your source, what was the situation (how to Nardi know RB was hurt and to what extent), etc. I don't remember ever hearing any of this before.

That said, I think Nardi is decent, but nothing to write home about. Buerhle, Eldred and Foulke have all blossomed under his watch. But others (Ginter, Kipper, and Vining come to mind) have failed to make the leap from "talented minor leaguer" to effective big league pitcher under his wing.

Daver
01-29-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Please provide details on your allegation that he ordered Biddle to pitch hurt -- what is your source, what was the situation (how to Nardi know RB was hurt and to what extent), etc. I don't remember ever hearing any of this before.

His dad told me about it.Rocky stopped taking the anti-inflammatories(which was covered in the papers)because it was making the pain in his shoulder worse.

bc2k
01-30-2002, 12:18 AM
Oscar acosta was available in the offseason. He is a better pitching coach than nardi.

RedPinStripes
01-30-2002, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Oscar acosta was available in the offseason. He is a better pitching coach than nardi.

I agree with you, but I think we are minorities and that thought. O well!

kermittheefrog
01-30-2002, 05:50 PM

Well I definitely respect what Ocosta has done with the Cubs but unfortunately jobs like that revolve around personal relationships.

czalgosz
01-30-2002, 07:14 PM

Well I definitely respect what Ocosta has done with the Cubs but unfortunately jobs like that revolve around personal relationships.

And didn't Acosta rip on a couple guys last season for not pitching hurt? I believe he questioned their guts, or something to that effect. Of course, all was forgotten when Bere and Tapani had unexpectedly good starts to their seasons.

It's the same thing with Contreras - he was praised to the heavens in '00 when the Sox pitching did great, and got ripped a new one in '01 when people got hurt. It's the nature of the beast.

SOXSINCE'70
01-30-2002, 09:05 PM

Someone has to be responsible for all those shoulder labrums.The man should have been gone before the end of last season.

:firenardi :firenardi

CHISOX10
01-30-2002, 10:53 PM
From a VERY close source......you can chalk Vining's 17.55 era to Nardi's ability to "screw with a guy's pitches"! How does a guy go from posting a 0.96ERA in the 2000AFL league, a 1.96 in AAA to a 17.55era in just 6 short innings over 6weeks? Hmmmm....something sound fishy to you too??? They should have left his pitches alone and let the guy throw his cheddar.....but what do you do as a rookie....listen to the brass or keep your job? You figure it out! :vining Keep it up Vining....you'll show em this year!