PDA

View Full Version : Season ticket accounts and merchandise: How much are they up?

BackInBlack
05-01-2006, 04:01 PM
I was just walking by the NYSE and saw a guy all decked out in present Day White Sox hat and the vintage 1980's horizontal "SOX" T-shirt. I've noticed a lot of people in this city wearing White Sox gear. I was wondering if the numbers for sold merchandise have been published, and how those number would compare with the last 3-5 years.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that White Sox season ticket accounts are up over 100%. If true, that's not a number to sneeze at. Where can I find some cold, hard numbers to compare the Sox' spike with that of the last half dozen World Series Champs?

Last year was simply incredible. But I want AT LEAST TWO MORE, BABY! :bandance::supernana::dtroll:

scottjanssens
05-02-2006, 10:04 AM
100% might be for the number of ticket sales, not the price. And even 100% there seems a little low. As for price, I'm sure the ticket plans increased in price, but it wasn't enough for me to even notice. I'd have to dig through my records to find the actual dollar amounts.

This site says the average ticket price for the White Sox increased 2.5% to $26.19 (league averages 5.36% and 22.21 respectively). The White Sox are ranked 7th in most expensive tickets.

http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm

Some of the merchandise around the ballpark seems to have been bumped up $5. Most of the stuff is the same price as last year.

itsnotrequired
05-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Here is a breakdown for full-season pricing (price reflects increase from 2005 prices and the percentage increase)

$544 (21.6%) - Premium Club Level
$490 (20.3%) - Club Level
$571 (23.7%) - Premium Lower Box
$598 (33.0%) - Lower Box
$490 (30.7%) - Lower Reserved
$436 (29.3%) - Bleachers
$247 (19.4%) - Premium Upper Box
$112 (9.6%) - Upper Box
$46 (5.1%) - Upper Reserved

Chicken Dinner
05-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Mechandising $$$$$$ is top secret!!

BackInBlack
05-02-2006, 11:58 AM
How much are season tickets for an average location on the field level? Full rights to each and every home playoff game? Do upgrade requests get honored?

ewokpelts
05-02-2006, 12:51 PM
My weekend bleacher plan costs $10 more than it did last year.
$704 vs. $694

Gene

miker
05-02-2006, 01:10 PM
I've received more Sox-related items for my birthday than in years past, does that count?

SouthSide_HitMen
05-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Mechandising $$$$$$ is top secret!!

They get 1/30th of general MLB merchandising proceeds, the same as the Yankees who are responsible for 27% of sales.

They do get a large portion of in stadium sales but most White Sox products are purchased at stores and online, not at Comiskey.

BackInBlack
05-02-2006, 01:55 PM
Good info, Hitman. Got a link handy?

SouthSide_HitMen
05-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Good info, Hitman. Got a link handy?

http://www.forbes.com/2006/04/17/06mlb_baseball-team-valuations-cx_mo_0420sports.html

But the biggest story is the effect revenue sharing is having on the league's economic landscape. Most of the money comes courtesy of the New York Yankees, which paid a record $77 million toward baseball's revenue sharing system....

But the league's reliance on Steinbrenner's Yankees goes far beyond revenue sharing. For example, a visit by the Yankees can increase a home team's ticket sales by as much as 25%. And the Yankees account for 27% of all league merchandise sales, the profits of which get shared equally throughout the league to the tune of more than $3 million per franchise. In effect, much of the league operates as subsidiaries of the Bronx Bombers.

ewokpelts
05-02-2006, 02:05 PM
They get 1/30th of general MLB merchandising proceeds, the same as the Yankees who are responsible for 27% of sales.

They do get a large portion of in stadium sales but most White Sox products are purchased at stores and online, not at Comiskey.Large portion? Dude, if it's sold at the park, the sox get ALL the money from it. The manuafacuer of the merch has to submit a check to mlb properties for the ammount of itmes shippe dout to retailers.
The sox gift shop, as a retailer, keeps any prfit generated by teh sale of merch.
no different than grandstand.
Gene

SouthSide_HitMen
05-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Large portion? Dude, if it's sold at the park, the sox get ALL the money from it. The manuafacuer of the merch has to submit a check to mlb properties for the ammount of itmes shippe dout to retailers.
The sox gift shop, as a retailer, keeps any prfit generated by teh sale of merch.
no different than grandstand.
Gene

Dude, sales are split with the concessionaire. Whether the Sox gift shop as 100% in house with no split (like hot dogs, beer and other merchandise split with Sportservice as well as the wholesalers who sell the products (i.e. the Miller and Pepsi distributors, Best Kosher, etc.) most sales of merchandise including 2005 World Series merchandise is purchased at area stores such as Grandstand, Kohl's / Sears, sports stores like Sportmart, street vendors and online.

The scorecard is the only thing I buy at the park (and the garage sale). I have plenty of White Sox merchandise but as they say selling peanuts outside (its bigger and cheaper on the outside). For all those non Comiskey sales, the White Sox keep just over 3% and the rest go to the league pot to be split by teams like the Marlins and Devil Rays which sell under 1% of league merchandise.