PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Brantley: Konerko slumping

32nd&Wallace
05-01-2006, 01:49 PM
He said yesterday on Baseball Tonight that Thome has picked up the team with Konerko slumping. Konerko has a .386 BA and has more hits than Thome this year. Idiot.

Scottiehaswheels
05-01-2006, 01:50 PM
I heard that too... just didn't think I heard it right cuz it didn't make any sense

chaotic8512
05-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Jeff Brantley? Saying something idiotic? Get out of here!

Gremlin3
05-01-2006, 01:55 PM
I wish everyone on our team could have a slump like that.

itsnotrequired
05-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Paul Konerko is in the top 10 for every major batting category (AL only, minimum 80 ABs).

0o0o0
05-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Well in that case, I guess Brantley's been on fire ever since he got that job.

Vernam
05-01-2006, 02:10 PM
I heard that comment, too. I wonder if we could ship Paulie for prospects before the rest of the world figures out he's slumping? :?:

Vernam

fusillirob1983
05-01-2006, 02:18 PM
I think I have deja vu.

fquaye149
05-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Paul Konerko is in the top 10 for every major batting category (AL only, minimum 80 ABs).

actually he's #1 in every major batting category (AL only, minimum 80 ABs, right handed first basemen, wearing #14, with a goatee)

MarySwiss
05-01-2006, 02:21 PM
I think I have deja vu.
You're just saying that because this is also being discussed in the Best Ever April thread in the Clubhouse. :D:

Chisox003
05-01-2006, 02:21 PM
actually he's #1 in every major batting category (AL only, minimum 80 ABs, right handed first basemen, wearing #14, with a goatee, defending champion) I added the most important one for you :cool:

Oh, and anyone who doesn't realize just how ridiculous Jeff Brantley is, simply look at my sig. That quote is there to STAY. Or, you can tune into a single segment of BBTN and see for yourself. But remember, you can never get those wasted minutes of your life back....I've tried.

As for PK, I hope he slumps like this all season :gulp:

credefan24
05-01-2006, 02:22 PM
I personally love how the ESPN-idiots try to find every way to bash the Sox, yet our record speaks for itself. Lets these talking head no talent has-beens spew their garbage. The educated fan knows better.

It's funny how Konerko gets bashed for batting over .350, top 10 in all offensive catagories. I bet if he was batting his usual .200 in April, this same brain dead hick Brantley would say how much of a waste it was to resign him.
Bottom line, who cares what ESPN says, we know they love the Red Cubs!!!

Lets Go Sox. Take these 2 from Cleveland!

itsnotrequired
05-01-2006, 02:26 PM
actually he's #1 in every major batting category (AL only, minimum 80 ABs, right handed first basemen, wearing #14, with a goatee)

Touche.:cool:

I had to put the 80 AB disclaimer in there because there are those guys with 20 ABs who are hitting .400 and would knock Paulie out of the top ten. Here are the rankings:

AVE .360 - 5th
OBP .433 - 8th
SLG .640 - 10th
HR 6 - tied for 6th
RBI 20 - tied for 5th
R 21 - tied for 5th
BB 12 - tied for 9th
2B 7 - tied for 5th
H 32 - 6th
K 9 - at least 100 guys have more. Fewest among first basemen with minimum 80 ABs

chisox56
05-01-2006, 02:27 PM
This is the same idiot who yesterday said that jonathan papelbon would be his first pick if he were starting a team, not pujols or anyother big name hitter or pitcher but jonathan papelbon.

sullythered
05-01-2006, 02:37 PM
This is the same idiot who yesterday said that jonathan papelbon would be his first pick if he were starting a team, not pujols or anyother big name hitter or pitcher but jonathan papelbon.

I nearly fell out of my chair when the hillbilly said Papelbon was his #1 player in the majors. He is a buffoon. Why do any of us even watch Baseball Tonight? I gotta stop.

WizardsofOzzie
05-01-2006, 02:39 PM

Any true baseball fan knows felix pie is the best player in baseball

ChiSoxGirl
05-01-2006, 02:40 PM
I used to think I was missing out by not having cable. The only thing I'm really missing out on is blowing a gaskit everytime I hear one of the many ESPN blowhards spew incorrect information from their giant mouths!

If Konerko is slumping at .386, what do they think Anderson is doing?! :rolleyes:

MUScholar21
05-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I personally love how the ESPN-idiots try to find every way to bash the Sox, yet our record speaks for itself. Lets these talking head no talent has-beens spew their garbage.

I don't think this is bashing the Sox. What it is, however, is a man who was a mediocre middle reliever who simply speaks off the top of his ever-balding head without ever doing any research to determine if he is right. He spits out the same old argument, time after time, and knows that if he says the "Yankees will be good" he has about a 90% chance of being right. Then, he tries to mix it up by saying things like the Konerko comment, and thinks he is reinventing the wheel while not being able to support his argument.

As far as why you watch BBTN, here are two reasons to: Harold Reynolds and John Kruk. HR is supremely talented, in my opinion, at breaking down individual ABs (like setup pitches, etc) and other nuances, while Kruk will flat-out tell you the truth regardless of who it aggravates. Unfortunately, ESPN has assembled such a stockpile of baseball guys, that these two can't be on everyday. That is when you get boobs like Brantley and his mullet talking out of their heinie-bird.

Jjav829
05-01-2006, 03:18 PM
You guys misheard Brantley. He said that Thome "carried the team when Konerko was slumping." Note the use of the past tense.

WhteSox725
05-01-2006, 03:25 PM
You guys misheard Brantley. He said that Thome "carried the team when Thome was slumping." Note the use of the past tense.

I don't know about yesterday but on Saturday morning's Baseball Tonight he wasn't using past tense he was using the present tense. Maybe Konerko broke out of his slump Saturday night.

Ol' No. 2
05-01-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't think this is bashing the Sox. What it is, however, is a man who was a mediocre middle reliever who simply speaks off the top of his ever-balding head without ever doing any research to determine if he is right. He spits out the same old argument, time after time, and knows that if he says the "Yankees will be good" he has about a 90% chance of being right. Then, he tries to mix it up by saying things like the Konerko comment, and thinks he is reinventing the wheel while not being able to support his argument.

As far as why you watch BBTN, here are two reasons to: Harold Reynolds and John Kruk. HR is supremely talented, in my opinion, at breaking down individual ABs (like setup pitches, etc) and other nuances, while Kruk will flat-out tell you the truth regardless of who it aggravates. Unfortunately, ESPN has assembled such a stockpile of baseball guys, that these two can't be on everyday. That is when you get boobs like Brantley and his mullet talking out of their heinie-bird.Kruk??? He's even dumber than Brantley, and that takes some doing. Or did Randy Johnson win 30 last year when I wasn't looking?

Domeshot17
05-01-2006, 03:35 PM
atleast this year Kruks big mouth jumped on the bandwagon. He took Paulie as his MVP, Buehlre as his CY, we are ALWAYS his most important thing, Kruk seems to have fallen in love with us. Its like how he was with Johan and the twins last year.

I can't wait until next year when we repeat, hell be driving the bandwagon and doing bbtn in his konerko jersey.

MUScholar21
05-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Kruk??? He's even dumber than Brantley, and that takes some doing. Or did Randy Johnson win 30 last year when I wasn't looking?

I don't go to BBTN for stats from Kruk, I like his opinion on player performance- he'll be the first one to call a guy out, and when someone plays up to his pricetag he'll compliment him for it. Krukie is always good for not playing the political game and try to insure that he'll be able to get an interview with a guy later in the year. Stats-wise, he can take his ball and go home.

Ol' No. 2
05-01-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't go to BBTN for stats from Kruk, I like his opinion on player performance- he'll be the first one to call a guy out, and when someone plays up to his pricetag he'll compliment him for it. Krukie is always good for not playing the political game and try to insure that he'll be able to get an interview with a guy later in the year. Stats-wise, he can take his ball and go home.So did he call RJ out for not winning 30 last year like he was supposed to?

ilsox7
05-01-2006, 04:28 PM
You guys misheard Brantley. He said that Thome "carried the team when Thome was slumping." Note the use of the past tense.

The 5 minutes of BBTN that I saw yesterday he clearly said Konerko. Not sure if you were joking or not, so just wanted to clear that up.

mccoydp
05-01-2006, 04:45 PM
:hawk:

"I LOVE having a slumping Paulie!"

Good Lord, I quit listening to Brantley a long time ago. Unfortunately, the vast majority of America takes what BBTN says as the gospel.

itsnotrequired
05-01-2006, 04:48 PM

Konerko climbed above .300 after the 9th game of the season. He was up to .341 after the 10th game and his average hasn't been lower since.

Thome started out at .500 and his average fell to .318 by the 7th game. Konerko was on the rise and Thome was in decline.:redneck

Realist
05-01-2006, 05:00 PM
I heard the quote too. He didn't say Konerko is slumping, he said that he's having a slow start... if there's a difference.

I don't want to watch BBTN, but I love watching the web gems. Maybe I should just start watching it with the sound turned off until I see the number 5 on the screen.

pythons007
05-01-2006, 05:19 PM
I actually love BBTN, for the pure fact that they show all the highlights of the day's games. As for Brantley the moron who keeps critizing the White Sox when they keep winning. That guy basically throws a dart a wall full of comments and whatever he hits he says....even if it has no relevance to the topic. The guy is a complete waste of space.

dickallen15
05-01-2006, 05:20 PM
I saw it and he said Konerko was off to a slow start, and Thome was picking him up. Between that, the comments he made last year about how Minnesota would win, the comments about the Contreras trade, and other idiotic things he says goes to show he has no pride in his job. He is making good money, I don't know how much exactly, but Andrea Kremer recently left ESPN, and she was making $300,000 and not on the air as much as Brantley, you would think he would at least make an effort to do a little research. Mediocre middle relievers who don't know much about baseball shouldn't be getting any airtime on ESPN. I do think he should be the guest of honor at Mullett Night. Maybe they could set him up on a dunk tank in the parking lot, and charge $1 to throw a ball or 2 to get him wet. They could make a lot of money for charity.

MadetoOrta
05-01-2006, 05:35 PM
At least Brantley got one thing right, at the end of last year I was crying in my beer - OVERJOYED!:gulp:

shaunburnette
05-01-2006, 06:01 PM
At least Brantley got one thing right, at the end of last year I was crying in my beer

:rolling:

adidas773
05-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Jeff "Mullet" Brantley did say Konerko is slumping, i know because i kept rewinding it on Tivo.

Chisox003
05-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Don't forget, Mullet is also the "man" who brought us such Sox players as Chad Hermanson and Freddy Uribe last season....while we were the best team in baseball from day 1.

Tool :rolleyes:

jdm2662
05-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Don't forget, Mullet is also the "man" who brought us such Sox players as Chad Hermanson and Freddy Uribe last season....while we were the best team in baseball from day 1.

Actually, its the fine players Freddie Guzman, and Jose Uribe. The guy hates the Whtie Sox, and it's too damn funny watching him almost cry when he has to say nice things about them...

Chisox003
05-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Actually, its the fine players Freddie Guzman, and Jose Uribe. The guy hates the Whtie Sox, and it's too damn funny watching him almost cry when he has to say nice things about them...
Ohhh, even better!

I remember Chad Hermanson for a fact, but the other 2 I messed up

Wow this guy stinks :gulp:

Shorty1983
05-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Farmer and Singleton also commented on Brantley's remark, they said the tele prompter must be broken and later Konerko gets a hit. Singleton say's "must be the slump". Fans aren't the only people who think Jeff Brantley and Baseball Tonight crew are idiots.

DaleJRFan
05-01-2006, 11:52 PM

Freddy Guzman, you mean... :D:

thomas35forever
05-01-2006, 11:52 PM
What's Brantley gonna say now after tonight's first inning?

dlee120
05-02-2006, 12:32 AM
[quote=sullythered] Why do any of us even watch Baseball Tonight? quote]

expert analysis! and the highlights, namely webgems.

MUsoxfan
05-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Ravitch mentioned at the beginning of tonight's show that Jimmy was 0-4

:?:

ILuvThatDuck
05-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Jeff Brantley???? He of the career 43-46 record????? Where does he get off speaking about slumps.

I agree with the rest of you, I hope PK slumps all season.

QCIASOXFAN
05-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Jeff Brantley is a waste of space.

palehozenychicty
05-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Ravitch mentioned at the beginning of tonight's show that Jimmy was 0-4

:?:

Thome? Jimmy? wha.....:?:

TDog
05-02-2006, 03:50 PM
The first five games of the season, Konerko was slumping. Some people are just a little slow.

Mr. White Sox
05-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Jeff Brantley???? He of the career 43-46 record????? Where does he get off speaking about slumps.

I agree with the rest of you, I hope PK slumps all season.

:tealpolice:
:tealtutor:

tick53
05-02-2006, 06:32 PM
I heard that too. I loathe that pud. :angry:

RealMenWearBlack
05-07-2006, 01:00 AM
Brantley just said something to the effect of "wait until Konerko's healthy" when Scott Reese (the main anchor) said that the Sox were #1 in ESPN's power rankings.

PAPChiSox729
05-07-2006, 01:21 AM
Brantley just said something to the effect of "wait until Konerko's healthy" when Scott Reese (the main anchor) said that the Sox were #1 in ESPN's power rankings.

I heard that too and just laughed. I think he meant Dye. Or maybe he is just that clueless...

RealMenWearBlack
05-07-2006, 02:27 AM
I heard that too and just laughed. I think he meant Dye. Or maybe he is just that clueless...

You're probably right and it would definitely make a lot more sense.

ShoelessJoeS
05-07-2006, 02:47 AM
You're probably right and it would definitely make a lot more sense.No, PAP is right, he is just completely clueless. Brantley is the same bonehead that thinks Freddy Guzman and Chad Hermanson play for the Sox.

MISoxfan
05-14-2006, 01:32 AM
atleast this year Kruks big mouth jumped on the bandwagon. He took Paulie as his MVP, Buehlre as his CY, we are ALWAYS his most important thing, Kruk seems to have fallen in love with us. Its like how he was with Johan and the twins last year.

I can't wait until next year when we repeat, hell be driving the bandwagon and doing bbtn in his konerko jersey.

He'll retire midshow after raising his lifetime prediction average to .300