PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox reaquire Mirabelli

Joosh
05-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2428645)

Well, that was no surprise. It was really just a matter of time.

MUsoxfan
05-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Why in the world is everyone so willing to help out the Red Sox? If I'm the Padres I put a HUGE pricetag on Mirabelli

chaerulez
05-01-2006, 11:48 AM
What an odd series of trades. A 2B who is only a few years removed from being an all star for a backup catcher. Then the team that trades the backup catcher that is pretty much valuable to only them gets him back for basically nothing. Not as fishy as those A's and Yankees trades of the 50's and 60's, but still odd.

samram
05-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Why in the world is everyone so willing to help out the Red Sox? If I'm the Padres I put a HUGE pricetag on Mirabelli

Yeah, I don't get it either. The Sawx were obviously desperate for someone who could catch a knuckleball and the Padres basically gave him back to them. Somehow, the same guy that cost the Padres a very solid top of the order player only netted them some marginal minor leaguers and cash.

Scottiehaswheels
05-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Why in the world is everyone so willing to help out the Red Sox? If I'm the Padres I put a HUGE pricetag on MirabelliThey get mentioned on ESPN... Free advertising!

lumpyspun
05-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Epstein got his start in baseball working for the Padres...looks like a favor to me.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Epstein got his start in baseball working for the Padres...looks like a favor to me.

Well part of the reason is they wanted to dump Loretta's $3.5 mil salary (which would be 6th on the team). San Diego has a very low payroll even with the new park. They made $13 million net but have the fourth largest debt % at 56%.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/Debt_1.html

The San Diego Padres won their division last year with a 82 wins and 80 losses, the worst record of any team to qualify for the playoffs in baseball history. It was a short lived stay as the team was swept out of the playoffs by the St. Louis Cardinals. The Padres finances have improved dramatically since its home, Petco Park, opened in 2004. The $470 million ballpark, which was financed with $173 million from the Padres and the rest from taxpayers, is operated by the team. Interest payments on the debt are $14 million which limits what the team can spend on players. The move boosted revenues by $50 million.

They are paying just over $1 mil for their two 2B combined - Mark Bellhorn and Josh Barfield.

Loretta looks to be at the end of the line - .218 with 1 HR heading into May.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5504

Banix12
05-01-2006, 02:12 PM
You know, in reality this is a pretty big pricetag for a 35 year old backup catcher who is only going to play one game a week. If any other team tried to trade for Mirabelli it would be a PTBNL situation. The Padres got a younger backup catcher in Bard who can actually hit a little better than Mirabelli and a 22 year old relief pitcher who shows some promise and should help out a bullpen that has had problems. All that and a $100 grand to boot.

On the basis of this trade alone I think the Padres did pretty well.

lumpyspun
05-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Well part of the reason is they wanted to dump Loretta's $3.5 mil salary (which would be 6th on the team). San Diego has a very low payroll even with the new park. They made $13 million net but have the fourth largest debt % at 56%.

Am I missing something? I didn't think Loretta had anything to do with the Mirabelli trade today...

SouthSide_HitMen
05-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Am I missing something? I didn't think Loretta had anything to do with the Mirabelli trade today...

It was in response to chaerulez' questioning both trades.

I am commenting on both trades as well (the round trip transaction involving Mirabelli).

Loretta is a financial burden at this point and Mirabelli is not needed.

The Padres will have more financial flexibility in 2007 when close to half of their payroll (Klesko and Park earning $25 mil between the two of them) comes off the books and the Padres can go out and sign players who will actually help them compete. Until then, they will be penny pinching Scrooges.

MUsoxfan
05-01-2006, 03:27 PM
You know, in reality this is a pretty big pricetag for a 35 year old backup catcher who is only going to play one game a week. If any other team tried to trade for Mirabelli it would be a PTBNL situation.

Yes, but Boston is the only team that truly needs that 35 year old backup catcher to play 1 game per week. A Padres GM needs to hold out for as much as can possibly get....being the fact that they're already 'penny-pinching scrooges' as Southside said. If that Padres GM had waited until after Bard's 12 passed balls tonight against the Yankees, maybe they'd get a greater return.

lumpyspun
05-01-2006, 03:34 PM
This whole thread brings up another question:
What is the Red Sox never-ending fascination with Tim Wakefield? I know the guy is a veteran and when his knuckleball is on he's unbeatable...but, it just seems like the Red Sox love this dude way too much.

ilsox7
05-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Yes, but Boston is the only team that truly needs that 35 year old backup catcher to play 1 game per week. A Padres GM needs to hold out for as much as can possibly get....being the fact that they're already 'penny-pinching scrooges' as Southside said. If that Padres GM had waited until after Bard's 12 passed balls tonight against the Yankees, maybe they'd get a greater return.
I see your point, but I think they got as much as they were going to get. The article I read said the Yankees even inquired so as to block Boston from getting him back. I think the Padres did about as well as they could have been expected to.

Scottiehaswheels
05-01-2006, 03:36 PM
What is the Red Sox never-ending fascination with Tim Wakefield? I know the guy is a veteran and when his knuckleball is on he's unbeatable...but, it just seems like the Red Sox love this dude way too much.I think he's their 2nd winningest pitcher all time or something.... that and he's always been a Carmine(as far as I know) play into it...

Chicken Dinner
05-01-2006, 04:18 PM
What is the Red Sox never-ending fascination with Tim Wakefield? I know the guy is a veteran and when his knuckleball is on he's unbeatable...but, it just seems like the Red Sox love this dude way too much.

He's got a never ending exclusive contract that the Red Sox can renew if they want to for 4 million.

SOX ADDICT '73
05-01-2006, 04:55 PM
...he's always been a Carmine...
Nope. Started in Pittsburgh, but he's been with Boston since 1995.

samram
05-01-2006, 06:32 PM
I see your point, but I think they got as much as they were going to get. The article I read said the Yankees even inquired so as to block Boston from getting him back. I think the Padres did about as well as they could have been expected to.

Actually, the fact the Yankees were possible suitors should have driven the price up (theoretically). The Padres should have tried to figure out whether the Red Sox valued having him more than the Yanks valued the Red Sox not having him.

Banix12
05-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Actually, the fact the Yankees were possible suitors should have driven the price up (theoretically). The Padres should have tried to figure out whether the Red Sox valued having him more than the Yanks valued the Red Sox not having him.

I'm sure the Padres already tried to figure that out.

The Padres got 2 players, both under 30, and cash or a PTBNL for a 35 year old catcher who has been having back problems this season and is batting .182. I'll bet that the Yankees already drove up the price on Mirabelli and this was the final result.

A. Cavatica
05-01-2006, 08:05 PM
This just in: the Padres and Red Sox announce that the PTNBL in the Mirabelli trade is none other than...Doug Mirabelli. Look for the Red Sox to reacquire him before Wakefield's next start.

palehozenychicty
05-02-2006, 10:27 AM
I think he's their 2nd winningest pitcher all time or something.... that and he's always been a Carmine(as far as I know) play into it...

He was on the Pirates in the early 1990s when Bonds was still playing real baseball and had Van Slyke and Bonilla in the outfield, and was an excellent pitcher then. But yes, he has the third most wins in Red Sawx history.

Fenway
05-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Doug's arrival at Fenway was just strange even by our nutty standards

BASEBALL (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball) > RED SOX (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox)
Mirabelli handles butterflies and knuckleballs (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/05/02/mirabelli_handles_butterflies_and_knuckleballs)

You fly all day. You are picked up on the tarmac by a police car. You change in the back seat, arriving at Fenway Park in record time, with sirens blazing. You throw on your equipment, head out to home plate, and there stands Johnny Damon, your old teammate. And 60 feet 6 inches away is Tim Wakefield, whose mystifying ...