PDA

View Full Version : Where's Honel

35th&Florida
04-30-2006, 02:37 AM
Any one know where Kris Honel ended up after spring training? I cant find him on any of the White Sox affiliate websites.

Banix12
04-30-2006, 03:48 AM
This could be your answer. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060327&content_id=1364213&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

This is from a Q&A with Scott Merkin posted on the sox website about a month ago.

Does Kris Honel figure into the White Sox future plans? I believe that he was considered a hot prospect before his arm injury in 2004, with one of the best curveballs in the Minors.

Was he dropped from the 40-man roster last season? I was glad to see him pitch through a full season last year. Sometimes arm injuries can take a couple of years to fully come back from.
-- Frank, Chicago Heights

Frank, there's still a great deal of fan interest in Honel, who was the White Sox first-round pick in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft, and a standout hurler for Providence Catholic High School in nearby New Lenox. His future status with the White Sox is a little more up in the air.

As recently as 2003, Honel was dominating competition in the Carolina League for Class A Winston-Salem, striking out about one per inning and showing great durability. After recovering from elbow surgery, Honel currently is slated to take part in extended Spring Training and then hopefully get into live-game action this summer. This is Honel's sixth year with the organization, and it could be his last as part of the system.

35th&Florida
04-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks! As a former PCHS alum, I was trying to stay up to date on where he went. I got a chance to watch Carmen Pignatello and Kris play when they were there (I was a few years older) and the 'local boy makes good' story is always a good story.

GO SOX!!