PDA

View Full Version : Handful of organizational moves

Soxheads
04-28-2006, 07:03 PM
A little self promotion, but here's the whole article. :)

http://www.futuresox.com/frontpage/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=280&mode=&order=0&thold=0

ATO: Sox Affiliates Make Roster Moves
Posted on Friday, April 28 @ 16:18:01 CST heads22

Rosa, Armstrong, Welker, Tartaglia and others change teams
By Alex E.

The Birmingham Barons made a handful of moves on Friday afternoon, announcing the waiver claim of Eduardo Sierra, the activation of infielder Rob Sasser from the DL and the promotion of catcher Cole Armstrong from Winston-Salem. To make room on the roster, Birmingham sent catcher Wally Rosa to Charlotte while releasing catcher Carlos Lee and pitcher Jeff Little.

Kannapolis has also made a number of moves in the last week, shaking up the starting lineup in the process. The Intimidators placed infielder Javier Castillo on the disabled list and activated catcher Eric Hollis, received outfielder Evan Tartaglia from Winston-Salem in exchange for catcher Kris Welker, and assigned infielder Vernon (Chris) Carter to extended spring training while receiving infielder Leo Acosta.

The Charlotte Knights have yet to announce any other corresponding moves, but the promotion of Rosa to Charlotte likely coincides with the early exit of backup catcher Pascual Matos from Thursday night’s game. Matos was batting only .167 this year in only seven games. Rosa was having an even rougher time starting the year with the Barons, batting just .111 in seven games as well. This would serve as purely an organizational move for the Knights.

Sasser came back to the Barons and the Sox organization after a temporary retirement in 2005, but hit the disabled list shortly into the season. The third baseman was hitting just .182 in limited action. Carlos Lee was hitting just .143 at the time of his release and had fallen off the organization's radar with recent draft picks and the advancement of Chris Stewart in the organization. Little had gone 0-1 with a 5.40 ERA. Little was shuttled around the Sox organization in the past year, making stops in Kannapolis, Charlotte and Birmingham in stints as both a starter and a reliever.

Tartaglia had been on the disabled list since April 19th for the Warthogs before his demotion to Kannapolis. He had collected 3 hits in 5 games but was rather hard pressed to find any time in the Warthog outfield. Welker, a 41st round draft pick out of the University of Iowa, was tearing the cover off the ball while splitting time behind the plate with Francisco Hernandez, hitting .308 with 4 RBI while compiling a .419 on-base percentage.

FutureSox.com is working to confirm any further moves within the organization.

I'm working to confirm that Matos' early exit has to do with Rosa's promotion.

KRS1
04-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Why would they release Carlos Lee? He has hit at every level(first season of W-S is the exception), and only got 7 AB's this year. I know we have three much better prospects than him at the postion, but if you ask me who I would rather have, Wally Rosa or CLee2, Id take Lee any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Rosa's bat is pathetic.

No real surprise about Carter, I have been really high on him since the day he was drafted, but he needs more time with the wood to develop. He was whiffing way too much, and getting his fundamentals and hitting mechanics down should be priority.