PDA

View Full Version : Steve Howe killed in car crash

itsnotrequired
04-28-2006, 06:47 PM
story developing...

His stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/howest01.shtml)

EDIT: Here's the story.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060428/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_obit_howe_1

RadioheadRocks
04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Truly a shame, but really not all that surprising.

Madvora
04-28-2006, 08:44 PM
This was the Yankee pitcher that was busted about 7 times for drugs right?

EDIT - Wow! Someone already has his death updated on wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Howe_%28baseball_player%29

RadioheadRocks
04-28-2006, 08:45 PM
This was the Yankee pitcher that was busted about 7 times for drugs right?

Exactly.

Madvora
04-28-2006, 08:49 PM
According to the wikipedia article...

"Howe became the first player to be banned from baseball for life because of substance abuse"

I never knew he was banned for life. Is that correct?

Mohoney
04-29-2006, 02:07 AM
Link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AoVohdfdPa_3cyOd2p2waxoRvLYF?slug=ap-obit-howe&prov=ap&type=lgns

48 is way too young to go.:(:

getonbckthr
04-29-2006, 05:13 AM
with all the cocaine he did im surprised it wasnt at the age of 28.

cubhater
04-29-2006, 08:06 AM
The end of a troubled life. Sad.

C-Dawg
04-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Not to be confused with the guitar player from Yes...

StillMissOzzie
04-30-2006, 08:34 PM
For all of the history behind this guy - the baseball part, the many drug suspensions, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...chances MLB gave this guy...I was shocked to learn I was all of 4 months older than Steve Howe. It sure seems like he packed a lot into his short but troubled life.

May you find peace, Steve Howe.

SMO
:(:

Uncle_Patrick
06-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Update:

Howe had meth in his system at the time of the crash.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2503090

getonbckthr
06-28-2006, 04:08 PM
:dumbass:

WSox8404
06-28-2006, 06:17 PM
See I can't say I feel sorry for drug addicts. I know they are addicting when you start to use them, but that is why you do not use them in the first place. You know there is a real strong possibility that you are going to get hooked and ruin your life. So why start? Maybe I am a bit insensitive but just say no and do not ever take that chance.

Ol' No. 2
06-28-2006, 06:22 PM
According to the wikipedia article...

"Howe became the first player to be banned from baseball for life because of substance abuse"

I never knew he was banned for life. Is that correct?Several times.

Soxfanspcu11
06-28-2006, 06:47 PM
See I can't say I feel sorry for drug addicts. I know they are addicting when you start to use them, but that is why you do not use them in the first place. You know there is a real strong possibility that you are going to get hooked and ruin your life. So why start? Maybe I am a bit insensitive but just say no and do not ever take that chance.

You are a bit insensitive. People make dumb decisions daily, should they die for them?? Absolutely not. There are THOUSANDS of people leaving Comiskey every game that are too drunk to drive, if they all died on the way home, would it be okay??? Give me a ****ing break dude.:rolleyes:

I agree with one point of your post, that people should just never start. Yes, older people should know this, it comes with life experience. However, plenty of young people (under 25), have absolutely no idea what they are getting into and make mistakes, terrible mistakes. Many of them come back from the dead to live important and productive lives, AFTER they learn the error of their ways.

It's easy to point fingers from the sidelines, do a little bit more research before you post idiotic bull**** like this.

WSox8404
06-28-2006, 06:59 PM
You are a bit insensitive. People make dumb decisions daily, should they die for them?? Absolutely not. There are THOUSANDS of people leaving Comiskey every game that are too drunk to drive, if they all died on the way home, would it be okay??? Give me a ****ing break dude.:rolleyes:

I agree with one point of your post, that people should just never start. Yes, older people should know this, it comes with life experience. However, plenty of young people (under 25), have absolutely no idea what they are getting into and make mistakes, terrible mistakes. Many of them come back from the dead to live important and productive lives, AFTER they learn the error of their ways.

It's easy to point fingers from the sidelines, do a little bit more research before you post idiotic bull**** like this.

Its not idiotic bull**** alright? Every teen in this country knows that drugs are bad. Most of them can kill you in the long run excluding marijuana and other 'light' drugs. You have to be an idiot nowadays to start doing drugs. No one can argue against that fact. I have had **** pushed in my face numerous times and have simply said get the hell out of here. It is not a hard thing to do. The people who you should feel sorry for are the kids who have lukiemia or other lethal illnesses. For Christ's sake they had NO ****ING CHANCE at life. These drug addicts we are supposed to feel sorry for were healthy people before they decided to use. They screwed up on living a healthy life. No, I'm sorry, I do not have any sympathy for drug addicts. None whatsoever.

miker
06-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Its not idiotic bull**** alright? Every teen in this country knows that drugs are bad. Most of them can kill you in the long run excluding marijuana and other 'light' drugs. You have to be an idiot nowadays to start doing drugs. No one can argue against that fact. I have had **** pushed in my face numerous times and have simply said get the hell out of here. It is not a hard thing to do. The people who you should feel sorry for are the kids who have lukiemia or other lethal illnesses. For Christ's sake they had NO ****ING CHANCE at life. These drug addicts we are supposed to feel sorry for were healthy people before they decided to use. They screwed up on living a healthy life. No, I'm sorry, I do not have any sympathy for drug addicts. None whatsoever.
Here's hoping your kids never get hooked.

Soxfanspcu11
06-28-2006, 07:08 PM

People don't start out to become drug addicts, once again, they make mistakes. I wish people like you were punished with death for every mistake you made, and I mean EVERY one.

Most people do not believe that they will become addicted, they believe that they can do a drug recreationally and in moderation, and some can. But for most, it's just not the case.

Obviously, you have never known anyone who has had a drug/alcohol/tobacco/weight/social/mental/etc. problem who has overcome it and lived a great life. At any time, these people COULD and probably SHOULD have died as a result of the "stupid" choices that they made. Yet they did not, and they have become some of the best and most responsible people that I know.

Have a little bit more compassion. Of course you should have compassion for people with diseases. You know, many people, including scientists believe that alcoholism is a disease, as well as drug addiction. Lethal illness?? That is a wide spectrum, your making my point for me.

LuvSox
06-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Steve Howe probably started doing drugs in the 70's. That was a different time. It's a shame what happened to him. I would say that his is a life wasted (no pun intended), but if at least one person learns from Steve's terrible mistakes, maybe he saved a life.

Erik The Red
06-29-2006, 02:12 AM
You are a bit insensitive. People make dumb decisions daily, should they die for them?? Absolutely not. There are THOUSANDS of people leaving Comiskey every game that are too drunk to drive, if they all died on the way home, would it be okay??? Give me a ****ing break dude.:rolleyes: He never said anything about it "being OK", or that they "deserve to die", so let's not put words into his mouth. OK? Thanks.

He said he doesn't feel sorry for them, and you know, I don't either. If someone gets on the road while drunk, they don't deserve sympathy if they get in an accident. In fact, they should be vilified for putting others at risk. I don't get your "Sox fan leaving Comiskey" analogy, it's nothing more than a piss-poor excuse for being irresponsible.

Oh, the irony of this statement...

Ol' No. 2
06-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Its not idiotic bull**** alright? Every teen in this country knows that drugs are bad. Most of them can kill you in the long run excluding marijuana and other 'light' drugs. You have to be an idiot nowadays to start doing drugs. No one can argue against that fact. I have had **** pushed in my face numerous times and have simply said get the hell out of here. It is not a hard thing to do. The people who you should feel sorry for are the kids who have lukiemia or other lethal illnesses. For Christ's sake they had NO ****ING CHANCE at life. These drug addicts we are supposed to feel sorry for were healthy people before they decided to use. They screwed up on living a healthy life. No, I'm sorry, I do not have any sympathy for drug addicts. None whatsoever.It must be comforting to live in a world where everything is pure black and white - no shades of grey. If we all got what we deserved every time we made a mistake we'd all be a lot poorer for it.

Soxfanspcu11
06-29-2006, 12:08 PM
He never said anything about it "being OK", or that they "deserve to die", so let's not put words into his mouth. OK? Thanks.

He said he doesn't feel sorry for them, and you know, I don't either. If someone gets on the road while drunk, they don't deserve sympathy if they get in an accident. In fact, they should be vilified for putting others at risk. I don't get your "Sox fan leaving Comiskey" analogy, it's nothing more than a piss-poor excuse for being irresponsible.

Oh, the irony of this statement...

Well, people like you need sensitivity training then. Have some compassion in your heart, or not. Whatever, I don't care what you do. But as someone else in this thread said, here's hoping your kids or someone you care about doesn't become addicted to something.

However, I have found that this "irony" you speak of, works in mysterious ways, so good luck to you and yours.

Erik The Red
06-29-2006, 11:33 PM
I lost my sense of sensitivity/sympathy towards drunk drivers the moment I came a hair's breadth from losing my father because of some ****head drunk who hit him head on doing 65, just over 17 years ago. If that makes me a bad person in your eyes, then so be it, I really couldn't care less.

PatK
06-30-2006, 10:47 AM
You know you can get hooked on legal drugs, right?

I nearly got hooked on painkillers about 10 years ago after destroying my back. I didn't even notice how many I was taking or for how long- I just figured I was supposed to take the gigantic bottles I was prescribed until they were empty.

It was one day when my mother said "You're still taking them?" And I realized I still was- even though my back really wasn't bothering me to the point where I needed anything.

If you ask me, the only difference between being addicted to painkillers and illegal drugs is the legality of what you're taking.