PDA

View Full Version : Improved AL teams


WinningUgly!
01-27-2002, 01:14 AM
List the top 5 most improved American League teams.

Here are mine...
1) Yankees (Giambi, Karsay, White, Wells, Coomer, Ventura & Vander Wal)
2) Red Sox (Clark, Burkett, Hermanson, Damon & Oliver)
3) Rangers (Burba, Perry, Park, Gonzalez, Everett & Rocker)
4) White Sox (Ritchie + Returnees from injury)
5) Angels (Sele, Appier & Fullmer)

There really isn't another team in the league that has done a thing to better themselves.

Jjav829
01-27-2002, 01:50 AM
How could you not include the Twinkies with the additions of Brian Meadows, Kurt Abbott, and Mike Jackson? :smile:

duke of dorwood
01-27-2002, 09:27 PM
So, that's how we "improve", just by getting injured players back. That's so Chicago. Anyone remember what we gave up to "improve?" And how much did the other teams give up to "improve?"

WinningUgly!
01-27-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
So, that's how we "improve", just by getting injured players back. That's so Chicago. Anyone remember what we gave up to "improve?" And how much did the other teams give up to "improve?"
Will the return of Frank Thomas, Wuncsh, Parque, Barcello, etc. make the Sox a better team or not? I don't like the fact that this is the way we are "improving" either, but the deal for Ritchie will be a good thing.

duke of dorwood
01-27-2002, 09:39 PM
It takes us back to a team that was swept in the playoffs in 2000.

Daver
01-27-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
It takes us back to a team that was swept in the playoffs in 2000.

Not really.

WinningUgly!
01-27-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
It takes us back to a team that was swept in the playoffs in 2000.

:hitless
"Ahem, I think you're forgetting about a certain someone. Don't blame me for the 2000 sweep. I was busy booting balls around the infield in Texas!"

nut_stock
01-27-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!


:hitless
"Ahem, I think you're forgetting about a certain someone. Don't blame me for the 2000 sweep. I was busy booting balls around the infield in Texas!"

While Im not a big fan of Clayton, I didn't worry about him booting balls around the infield last year, I worried about him getting a basehit with that stupid swing of his.

czalgosz
01-27-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
So, that's how we "improve", just by getting injured players back. That's so Chicago. Anyone remember what we gave up to "improve?" And how much did the other teams give up to "improve?"

And what do you think the Sox should have done?

kermittheefrog
01-28-2002, 01:07 AM
I guess there is some improvement in Texas and Boston. What I saw was Boston switching from a dollar bill to that golden coin thingy no one cares about or uses and Texas overpaid for a guy who wasn't that great outside of Dodger stadium while adding a few guys who are gonna raise some clubhouse hell over a long season.

MattSharp
01-28-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


And what do you think the Sox should have done?


I think the Sox should have gotten themselves an ace. Buerhle is good but there is not veteran ace to lead this team. Yea the David Wells fiasco doesn't help, but that's what I think they needed. Oh well what do I know....

longshot7
01-28-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
It takes us back to a team that was swept in the playoffs in 2000.

Thank you - I was waiting for someone to say it. Everyone seems to be so excited about possibly winning the division this year. I say "so what!" - cuz we'll just lose in the first round again. How many of those great Sox teams from the late 60's do we remember - hardly any, cuz they always finished 2nd to the Yanks and got nothing to show for it.

WinningUgly!
01-28-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by longshot7


Thank you - I was waiting for someone to say it. Everyone seems to be so excited about possibly winning the division this year. I say "so what!" - cuz we'll just lose in the first round again. How many of those great Sox teams from the late 60's do we remember - hardly any, cuz they always finished 2nd to the Yanks and got nothing to show for it.

So what? So, you don't get a shot at the post season unless you win your division or win the wildcard! Just because the roster is basically the same as it was in 2000, does not necessarily mean that we will end up getting swept away again! Arizona had the same team in 2000 as in 2001. They failed to make the playoffs one season & won it all the very next. How come they were able to improve that much without adding any major pieces? I'm not saying the Sox have enough to win it all, only that we should easily be able to improve on our 2001 season. Winning the AL Central at least gives us a shot at the Yankees/Oakland/whoever in the playoffs. Will we be overmatched by their pitching staffs when/if we get there? Uh, yep. But what moves could we have possibly made to change this fact? It's not like Atlanta & Arizona were shopping Maddux & Johnson. :D:

Jerry_Manuel
01-28-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Just because the roster is basically the same as it was in 2000, does not necessarily mean that we will end up getting swept away again!

Yes, it does. This is the Sox were talking about, they have no luck.

FarWestChicago
01-28-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

So what? So, you don't get a shot at the post season unless you win your division or win the wildcard! Just because the roster is basically the same as it was in 2000, does not necessarily mean that we will end up getting swept away again!Gotta go with WU here. I think it's a little early to write the 2002 season off. At least wait until we get to 0-1 to throw in the towel.

WinningUgly!
01-28-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Yes, it does. This is the Sox were talking about, they have no luck.

Sure they do, it's just all bad! :(:

Daver
01-28-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Gotta go with WU here. I think it's a little early to write the 2002 season off. At least wait until we get to 0-1 to throw in the towel.

I think we trade the whole damn team if we are down by 2 in the third inning on opening day.

WinningUgly!
01-28-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Gotta go with WU here. I think it's a little early to write the 2002 season off. At least wait until we get to 0-1 to throw in the towel.

I've been a Sox fan for way too long & suffered through way too many bad seasons to ever feel down about a team that is only supposed to win a divison title.

WinningUgly!
01-28-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by daver


I think we trade the whole damn team if we are down by 2 in the third inning on opening day.

If Buehrle's 1st pitch misses, the season's over! :D:

Jerry_Manuel
01-28-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I've been a Sox fan for way too long & suffered through way too many bad seasons to ever feel down about a team that is only supposed to win a divison title.

I guess, I better get busy living.

FarWestChicago
01-28-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!


If Buehrle's 1st pitch misses, they season's over! :D: I think you and Daver are getting the hang of it. :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-28-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Gotta go with WU here. I think it's a little early to write the 2002 season off. At least wait until we get to 0-1 to throw in the towel.

West, you optimist you! I'm sure reacquiring Gary Majewski and outfielder Jim "Impressive Arm" Barry will more than make up for losing the guy the 116-win Mariners picked up.

With front office competence like this, how could we not win the pennant?

:gulp: