PDA

View Full Version : Thome...Any chance for All Star Game?

BearSox
04-28-2006, 03:20 PM
I just filled out my first all star ballot and because of a National League host there is no DH position on the ballot. However if Thome continues to put up the numbers he has, he definitely deserves to be in (along with taking part in the HR derby). I tried writing him in for first base but then it takes the place of the first basemen on the ballot and I feel that Konerko is indeed in for a return trip for the all star game as well. I'd hate for it to come down to the final man vote in with Thome so any suggestions?

Frater Perdurabo
04-28-2006, 03:23 PM
There's no way he could get voted in by the fans. But Ozzie could choose to take him and have him pinch-hit.

I also think that if Konerko keeps raking, he'll probably make the team, too.

BearSox
04-28-2006, 03:27 PM
There's no way he could get voted in by the fans. But Ozzie could choose to take him and have him pinch-hit.

I also think that if Konerko keeps raking, he'll probably make the team, too.

Good point, I forgot about the Ozzie factor for this year and the voting is only for starters so Ozzie does have the power to select the reserves and so from that point Thome shouldn't have a problem...I hope.

DeadMoney
04-28-2006, 03:36 PM
If he continues to roll, he'll probably make it as a player's choice before Ozzie even needs to think about putting him on. With the respect that he has gained (by other players) around the league, he should have no problem getting in from the player's vote.

I just filled out my first all star ballot and because of a National League host there is no DH position on the ballot.

:hijacked: I realize they normally have no DH in NL parks and have a DH in AL parks for the All-Star game, but what does everyone think will happen next year when it goes to SF and an NL park for the 2nd straight year?

ewokpelts
04-28-2006, 03:38 PM
where did you fill out your ballot?

BearSox
04-28-2006, 03:49 PM
I just voted at MLB.com http://www.mlb.com

kittle42
04-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Isn't it kind of silly to allow voting 21 games into the season?

TheDarkGundam
04-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Yes, it's very silly. However, the all-star-game is mainly a popularity contest, or at least a good chunk of the voting is.

Uncle_Patrick
04-28-2006, 04:05 PM

If people voted based on skill and results, then yes. But since its mostly a popularity contest it doesn't matter. I'm sure most of those guys are just as popular now as they will be by mid-season.

lumpyspun
04-28-2006, 04:07 PM
I actually hope he wants nothing to do with the Home Run Derby. Everyone knows that he is one of the best Homerun hitters the last few decades. I don't see a need for him to go in there and hurt himself tryin to hit 500 foot bombs.

nug0hs
04-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I agree, All-Star voting is a joke. Every year the same few big names show up at the top of the ballot, deserving or not. The system is flawed as well with voting being accepted ALREADY when everyone has played around 20 games so far. Similarly, the concept of managers selecting players from their own teams is basically a ripoff. Everyone remember how many Yankees Joe Torre would bring with him in years past?

Hitmen77
04-28-2006, 04:18 PM
If he continues to roll, he'll probably make it as a player's choice before Ozzie even needs to think about putting him on. With the respect that he has gained (by other players) around the league, he should have no problem getting in from the player's vote.

:hijacked: I realize they normally have no DH in NL parks and have a DH in AL parks for the All-Star game, but what does everyone think will happen next year when it goes to SF and an NL park for the 2nd straight year?

IMO, they should just have the DH for every all-star game. I mean, why do we need pitchers hitting in that exhibition? Having a DH allows 1 more deserving player to start in each league.

mrfourni
04-28-2006, 04:49 PM
IMO, they should just have the DH for every all-star game. I mean, why do we need pitchers hitting in that exhibition? Having a DH allows 1 more deserving player to start in each league.

.:tool Don't you remember: "This time it counts"

socko82
04-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Good point, I forgot about the Ozzie factor for this year and the voting is only for starters so Ozzie does have the power to select the reserves and so from that point Thome shouldn't have a problem...I hope.

There is no Ozzie factor any more. The players choose the reserves. The manager only gets to pick a couple guys and those picks are used up by fulfilling the one player per team requirement. I remember Francona said last year he only got to make one pick himself (Matt Clement) and that wasn't until after another guy backed out of the game.

On a side note we proved last year we can get our guys elected. Let's start stuffing those ballot boxes just so we can hear all the Yankee/Red Sox fans whining.......

oeo
04-28-2006, 05:22 PM
If he keeps tearing the cover off the ball, he should go. We need as many Sox as we can, so we can get homefield advantage again. :D:

ILuvThatDuck
04-28-2006, 05:30 PM
If Thome and PK continue to put up these type of numbers there is no way they CANT be on the AL roster.
And for that matter AJ looks like a lock right now also

0o0o0
04-28-2006, 05:33 PM
C'mon, who wouldn't wanna see an Arroyo vs. Shelton matchup?

gbergman
04-28-2006, 06:06 PM
personelly i think they should wait to memorial day weekend to open the voting up. That way more players who deserve it go. But I also hate how who wins affects the world series, i personelly think it should be best record or trade off year after year like it was. Right now the AL clearly has the stronger league and i believe the AL has won 9 times since 1995 or something close

TDog
04-29-2006, 02:38 AM

They could open the balloting in February and close it in March and results wouldn't be much different than the starters fans elect this summer.

Tigerclaw
04-29-2006, 03:42 AM
With no DH in this year's all-star game it's hard to figure who deserves to make it at first right now. Thome, Konerko, Shelton, Hafner, Ortiz, Giambi, and Teixera have all had good Aprils. As always it will be a popularity contest so you know that Ortiz and Giambi will get most of the votes...but any one of those other guys deserve to be reserves right now. May and June should make things more clear.

RealMenWearBlack
04-29-2006, 03:42 AM
I think he'll pull a Podsednik and get in as the 32nd man.

kkappelk
04-29-2006, 10:45 AM
If Thome and PK continue to put up these type of numbers there is no way they CANT be on the AL roster.
And for that matter AJ looks like a lock right now also
PK is going to have a real tough time making the roster due to competition, regardless of how well he's doing. Giambi, Ortiz, Hafner...and Shelton if he keeps up his current hitting pace...are all guys at 1B who get a ton of media attention. You can basically pencil in Ortiz as the starter since he'll probably be tops in votes again for the AL. No DH rule hurts the guys at this position most.