PDA

View Full Version : Chris Karhl's take...

czalgosz
01-26-2002, 02:48 PM
On the most recent Sox transactions...

Signed LF-R Carlos Lee to a two-year contract, and CF-L Chris Singleton to a one-year contract, avoiding arbitration with both; claimed LHP Thomas Jacquez off of waivers from the Phillies. [1/17]

Two years is a worthwhile investment in seeing if Carlos Lee will get turned around. The White Sox can't long afford to stumble along with him if he has another year like 2001. Chris Singleton is clearly living on borrowed time, with the possibilities of a resurrected trade to the Angels on the one hand, and with Joe Borchard charging up on the other. He's one of those players who does some things well, but who, at the end of the day, has "Angel" written all over him.

Thomas Jacquez is an interesting claim, added to the seemingly endless variety of lefties the White Sox have tried to bring in to avoid taking Ken Vining out on an extended trial. He's also one of the most likely bodies to be outrighted before the end of March, to make space on the 40-man roster.

I think he hit the nail on the head about Vining. I would like to see Vining get a chance this year.

kermittheefrog
01-26-2002, 03:19 PM
Ah but even better is the comment on the Tribe:

Signed RHP Mark Wohlers to a two-year contract. [1/9]

The re-education of Mark Shapiro is probably going to have to involve a penal colony in the Dakotas, because this is one of the worst moves of the winter. It isn't terrible in terms of impact--one mediocre and badly overpriced reliever doesn't kill a team. What's gut-wrenching about this decision is the profound ignorance it reflects. Mark Wohlers is a nice human interest story who still hasn't pitched very effectively. He's not as much of a joke as Jim Morris was, but spending $4 million over two years on a guy who just cranked out one almost adequate season as a mop-up man--his first worthwhile season since 1997--is your classic bad management move. It won't help or hurt the Indians significantly in the standings, while contributing to the general bottom-line fragging you get from bringing in guys like Wohlers or Brady Anderson (or Wil Cordero, for that matter), for anything more than the minimum. It's a White Sox decade, folks.

FarWestChicago
01-26-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
It's a White Sox decade, folks. I like that part! :D:

czalgosz
01-26-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I like that part! :D:

So do I. Whenever I get depressed about the moves that KW has made, I just take a look at the transactions page in the paper. Then I feel a little better. At least we're not the only ones...

Jerry_Manuel
01-26-2002, 04:01 PM
I like that part! :D:

I guess that's good. They still won't win the World Series, so win all the central titles you want.

FarWestChicago
01-26-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I guess that's good. They still won't win the World Series, so win all the central titles you want. Well, Jer. I would rather win the Central than finish behind the 'Toons and Twinks.

czalgosz
01-26-2002, 04:20 PM
I also liked this one...

The idea that Darren Lewis would be resurrected, and even given another shot at everyday playing time, is a daunting testament to Don Baylor's commitment to less-than-mediocrity.

I was a little worried that the Cubs would compete this season. Moves like this one reassure me that they'll find a way to not win.

Jerry_Manuel
01-26-2002, 05:15 PM
Well, Jer. I would rather win the Central than finish behind the 'Toons and Twinks.

I guess if your comfortable with being the tallest midget that's ok.

czalgosz
01-26-2002, 05:17 PM

I guess if your comfortable with being the tallest midget that's ok.

Well, we may be the tallest midget now, but unless Williams wuins things, I will go out on a limb and say that the Sox will be the best team in the AL two years from now.

Jerry_Manuel
01-26-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Well, we may be the tallest midget now, but unless Williams ruins things, I will go out on a limb and say that the Sox will be the best team in the AL two years from now.

I'm stunned you would say such a thing Czal. Williams doesn't have to do anything to "ruin things" the Sox do a good job of that themselves.

It would be real nice to be the best team in the AL, but unless the Yankees get moved to the NL it won't happen.

FarWestChicago
01-26-2002, 05:24 PM

I guess if your comfortable with being the tallest midget that's ok. I was much older than you are now when the '85 Bears finally won something for Chicago fans. You have only begun to suffer. :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
01-26-2002, 05:27 PM
I was much older than you are now when the '85 Bears finally won something for Chicago fans. You have only begun to suffer. :smile:

I'm only worried about the Sox winning the big prize. I've seen the Bears (have the game on video) and Bulls win a title. The Hawks have won something in your life time West, so it's not that bad. The Sox, just can't seem to do anything right.

FarWestChicago
01-26-2002, 05:32 PM
The Hawks have won something in your life time West, so it's not that bad.Geez, Jer. I was 3 when the Hawks won. I don't think I even knew what hockey was at that age. :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
01-26-2002, 05:35 PM
Geez, Jer. I was 3 when the Hawks won. I don't think I even knew what hockey was at that age. :smile:

I was 1 when the Bears won. At least during the time you were on the earth they won a title.

Man, do are sports teams suck or what? :smile:

FarWestChicago
01-26-2002, 05:38 PM
Man, do are sports teams suck or what? :smile: We're kind of all or nothing. The '85 Bears were one of the greatest teams of all time. Same with the Bulls. Can't we win a title with your normal, run of the mill championship team? :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
01-26-2002, 05:39 PM
Can't we win a title with your normal, run of the mill championship team? :smile:

I guess not!

czalgosz
01-26-2002, 05:57 PM

I'm stunned you would say such a thing Czal. Williams doesn't have to do anything to "ruin things" the Sox do a good job of that themselves.

It would be real nice to be the best team in the AL, but unless the Yankees get moved to the NL it won't happen.

I was talking to a Yankee fan, and he was saying that this would be their last year for a serious title run.

I predict that a serious luxury tax or something will be put in either this off-season or next, and prevent King George from buying any more titles. I think Steinbrenner knows it, and that's why he's going nuts this winter.

And, once Clemens and Wells retire, the starting pitching will be Mussina and a bunch of also-rans. The Yankees minor-league system is as devoid of talent as the Mohave desert, so they won't be easily replaced, and the Yankees are out of tradeable talent.

The Yankees won't even be in the postseason in 2004. Mark my words.

Jerry_Manuel
01-26-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
The Yankees won't even be in the postseason in 2004. Mark my words.

Your really going out on a limb!

If the Sox will be the best team in 2 years where will the A's be?

czalgosz
01-26-2002, 06:13 PM

Second-best, although it will be very close if Carlos Pena is half the player that everyone seems to think he will be.

Chisox_cali
01-26-2002, 06:15 PM

I'm expecting Mulder Hudson and Zito's arms to fall off from carrying the team without Giambi :smile:

AsInWreck
01-26-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

I'm expecting Mulder Hudson and Zito's arms to fall off from carrying the team without Giambi :smile:

i agree- the a's remind me of the 83 sox w/hoyt,dotson,britt burns and bannister - zito is like a britt burns clone if you ask me - w/ that rotation the sox were supposed to be a dynasty -but we all know how that turned out-good teams have good pitching but dynasties aren't usually built around 3-4 pitchers, w/ an obvios excepetion

Chisox_cali
01-26-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck

i agree- the a's remind me of the 83 sox w/hoyt,dotson,britt burns and bannister - zito is like a britt burns clone if you ask me - w/ that rotation the sox were supposed to be a dynasty -but we all know how that turned out-good teams have good pitching but dynasties aren't usually built around 3-4 pitchers, w/ an obvios excepetion

I would not be surprised if 1 of them goes down this year with some kind of season ending arm surgery

RichH55
01-27-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

I would not be surprised if 1 of them goes down this year with some kind of season ending arm surgery
Still counting on injury isn't exactly my idea of front office savvy....at least when it refers to other teams and players other than Rondell White