PDA

View Full Version : Just saw the Questec results

ondafarm
04-27-2006, 11:52 AM
A friend of a friend of mine just emailed me the results of the Questec report on last night's Sox-Mariners' game. This is supposedly confidential information but if you work databases long enough you'd be amazed what you can trade for. Actually, all he emailed was the summary report but the results are astonishing.

I watched the game last night and thought there was something seriously wrong with the umpiring. I even posted several times on the gamethread and several idiots told me I was seeing things and how both Washburn and Soriano were "filthy, f-i-l-t-h-y". Well, if you are of that mind, then you probably think pro-wresting is for real. Remember what Carl Everett said about you.

The results: Mike Muchlinski was calling the plate for the first time in his career and judging by these numbers, it will be his last. He made 144 ball-strike calls and his success rate was 74.3%. That may sound good like getting 108 out of 144 is good but that is a record low for a major league baseball umpire in the Questec era. In other words, he was mistaken 25.7% of the time, worse than any umpire in the past five years.

He was however consistent in being bad, he gave the Mariner's pitchers an average of 6 extra inches on the outside corner and 3 extra on the inside. Nine extra inches is an extra half of a plate to work with. He also was not calling strikes over nearly a quarter of the plate for the White Sox pitchers (3" outside, 1.5" inside.)

Notable at bats that he altered the outcome of:

Lopez in the home second should have been called out on the fourth pitch.
Ibanez in the home sixth should have had a two strike one ball count not a one strike three ball count. He hit a home run on a low-speed fastball in the center of the plate.

Iguchi in the visitor's eigth had two of the first three pitches mistakenly called strikes. He should have walked instead of striking out.

Dye in the visitor's ninth should have had the first pitch called a ball. He ground into a double play on the third pitch which effectively ended the rally.

Plugging these results into a scoring estimator yields the following result.

If umpire Muchlinski were to call 162 games between the most inept offense in the AL, the KC Royals, scoring only 71 runs in 19 games and the best pitching/ defense in the AL, the NY Yankees, allowing only 76 runs in 19 games, the result would be the Royals would defeat the Yankees 121 times and only lose 41 games.

Think the Mariner's beat the White Sox last night? Think again. Umpire Mike Muchlinski defeated the White Sox.

illinisox1
04-27-2006, 11:57 AM
:o: :(: :?:...................:angry: ...............:gulp:.........:)

Scottiehaswheels
04-27-2006, 11:58 AM
eh... as much as I'd like to agree with ya.. bellyaching like this I reserve for Angels fans... yeah he obviously sucked but baseball is all about adjustments to an umpire anyways... besides.. its one game out of 162.... if MLB wants to take action against the guy so be it... not gonna blame it on the ump though... plenty of other scoring chances you didn't mention we just couldn't get a hit.... that and washburn was nasty...

IlliniSox4Life
04-27-2006, 12:00 PM
eh... as much as I'd like to agree with ya.. bellyaching like this I reserve for Angels fans... yeah he obviously sucked but baseball is all about adjustments to an umpire anyways... besides.. its one game out of 162.... if MLB wants to take action against the guy so be it... not gonna blame it on the ump though... plenty of other scoring chances you didn't mention we just couldn't get a hit.... that and washburn was nasty...

I agree that it's all about adjustments, but it's also about being fair. When the other pitcher gets an extra 6-10 inches of the plate, you're just not playing the same game that their batters are.

voodoochile
04-27-2006, 12:02 PM
The only question I have is did the Sox pitchers get the same benefit?

I mean was he at least consistently bad?

Guys aren't going to nail evey pitch perfectly and obviously last night was extra bad, but was it one-sided bad?

Edit: Oh and it was a getaway day night game - you pretty much expect a wide plate on those types of evenings. Swing the bat or get out of the box.

IlliniSox4Life
04-27-2006, 12:06 PM
The only question I have is did the Sox pitchers get the same benefit?

I mean was he at least consistently bad?

Guys aren't going to nail evey pitch perfectly and obviously last night was extra bad, but was it one-sided bad?

Edit: Oh and it was a getaway day night game - you pretty much expect a wide plate on those types of evenings. Swing the bat or get out of the box.

From the looks of what he said, no. It seems as if the MAriners got an extra 9 inches, and the Sox lost 4.5 off the plate.

Scottiehaswheels
04-27-2006, 12:07 PM
The differences I saw last night are all I needed to know.... Washburn attacked our hitters inside and Mark was trying to spot the outside corner a lot, which is where he got burned for the 3..

CaptainBallz
04-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Interesting stuff. I think it's great from a quality control standpoint, but I wouldn't go as far as blaming lthe loss on the ump. I got called out in little league on a ball that rolled over home plate. Ridiculous, yes...but, part of the game.

ondafarm
04-27-2006, 12:12 PM
... washburn was nasty...

See, that's the point, Washburn was just being Washburn. He threw only 61% (66 of 108) of his pitches for strikes which is average for Washburn.

The average batter can call the outside corner within 2 inches. Give the pitcher an extra 6 inches and batters won't swing at pitches the ump is calling. The average ump is typically good within 1 inch of the actual corner producing an error rate of 3-4%. (Frank Thomas is good within about 3/4 of an inch meaning he has a better eye than your average umpire.)

It's not just that it was a wide plate.

It was an exceptionally wide plate for the Mariner's pitchers and an exceptionally narrow plate for the White Sox pitchers.

Normally, umpiring doesn't decide games. Last night it did.

Iwritecode
04-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Interesting stuff. I think it's great from a quality control standpoint, but I wouldn't go as far as blaming lthe loss on the ump. I got called out in little league on a ball that rolled over home plate. Ridiculous, yes...but, part of the game.

:o:

So an umpire calling a guy safe when he's only half-way to first when the first basemen catches the ball is part of the game too right? Sure umpires make mistakes but there's got to be some limits for obvious bad calls.

goon
04-27-2006, 12:15 PM
you could tell washburn was definitely getting that upper outside corner on right-handed batters, he kept getting the calls and he just went with it. he was also getting a ton of calls on the outside part of the plate to left-handed batters, thome got hosed at least two times around. the sox probably lost because washburn pitched a smart game, but any idiot could see that the game wasn't being called fairly, if you saw the game last night, you know what i mean.

Chicken Dinner
04-27-2006, 12:15 PM
The bottom line is that Washburn pitched better than Buehrle.

Iwritecode
04-27-2006, 12:16 PM
you could tell washburn was definitely getting that upper outside corner on right-handed batters, he kept getting the calls and he just went with it. he was also getting a ton of calls on the outside part of the plate to left-handed batters, thome got hosed at least two times around. the sox probably lost because washburn pitched a smart game, but any idiot could see that the game wasn't being called fairly, if you saw the game last night, you know what i mean.

It was on WCIU so I'm sure there were a lot of people (like me) that didn't get to see it...

itsnotrequired
04-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Worst percentage of correct calls in the last five years? Yikes! It seemed like there were some bad calls last night but I didn't realize there were that many.

goon
04-27-2006, 12:20 PM
yeah, i have a feeling everyone didn't catch it. being completely honest, the home umpire was UNDOUBTEDLY favoring the mariners... and i'm not one of these guys who blames officials/refs/umps for every loss my team has, but there was no way you could watch last nights game and not notice it.

MarySwiss
04-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm not going to go back and check, but IIRC, the umpiring was discussed on the gamethread last night. I also seem to remember the Seattle announcers taking about how he's from the area.

Still, it's all just water under the bridge now.

goon
04-27-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm not going to go back and check, but IIRC, the umpiring was discussed on the gamethread last night. I also seem to remember the Seattle announcers taking about how he's from the area.

Still, it's all just water under the bridge now.

NEVER.

LET'S GET HIM!

downstairs
04-27-2006, 12:23 PM
yeah, i have a feeling everyone didn't catch it. being completely honest, the home umpire was UNDOUBTEDLY favoring the mariners... and i'm not one of these guys who blames officials/refs/umps for every loss my team has, but there was no way you could watch last nights game and not notice it.

Our hitting UNDOUBTEDLY favored the Mariners, too.

:cool:

CaptainBallz
04-27-2006, 12:24 PM
:o:

So an umpire calling a guy safe when he's only half-way to first when the first basemen catches the ball is part of the game too right? Sure umpires make mistakes but there's got to be some limits for obvious bad calls.

Yeah...granted, my example was a bit extreme. The point is that the ump probably shouldn't be a MLB umpire, but whining about last night's game specifically is a lil :whiner: for my taste.

ondafarm
04-27-2006, 12:25 PM

I give Washburn full credit for seeing what he is getting called and taking full advantage. I'm sure that info was also passed to Soriano and Putz.

Buehrle was being Buehrle and dancing the ball on the outside corner hoping it would get called correctly. If you've struck the guy out and the umpire decides not to call it, you have to groove one to him and any major league hitter can hit a weak fastball in the center of the plate.

I just don't think a rookie umpire calling the plate for the first time, should be calling in his home city for his hometown team.

Widger complained to the first base umpire, who responded with "I know." so this is obviously something that is going to be addressed.

goon
04-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Our hitting UNDOUBTEDLY favored the Mariners, too.

i never said that the umpiring decided the game last night, washburn pitched a great game. that doesn't mean that the game was called fairly.

Chicken Dinner
04-27-2006, 12:27 PM
When did Safeco get Questec?? I thought it was only in 10 parks. :o:

- Next, they have an overview (http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/2003/0605/1563649.html)of the QuesTec system. Included are the 10 stadiums that have QuesTec currently installed, a list that is both handy and dandy:
Bank One Ballpark (Arizona) Fenway Park (Boston) Tropicana Field (Tampa Bay) Jacobs Field (Cleveland) Miller Park (Milwaukee) Edison Field (Anaheim) Network Associates Coliseum (Oakland) Minute Maid Park (Houston) Shea Stadium (Mets) Yankee Stadium (Yankees)

MarySwiss
04-27-2006, 12:27 PM
I give Washburn full credit for seeing what he is getting called and taking full advantage. I'm sure that info was also passed to Soriano and Putz.

Buehrle was being Buehrle and dancing the ball on the outside corner hoping it would get called correctly. If you've struck the guy out and the umpire decides not to call it, you have to groove one to him and any major league hitter can hit a weak fastball in the center of the plate.

I just don't think a rookie umpire calling the plate for the first time, should be calling in his home city for his hometown team.

Widger complained to the first base umpire, who responded with "I know." so this is obviously something that is going to be addressed.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this, if anything.

TheOldRoman
04-27-2006, 12:28 PM
eh... as much as I'd like to agree with ya.. bellyaching like this I reserve for Angels fans... yeah he obviously sucked but baseball is all about adjustments to an umpire anyways... besides.. its one game out of 162.... if MLB wants to take action against the guy so be it... not gonna blame it on the ump though... plenty of other scoring chances you didn't mention we just couldn't get a hit.... that and washburn was nasty... Yes, you need to adjust to umpires, but this is bull****. You can adjust to different size strike zones depending on the umpire. You cannot adjust to horrible calls.
If an ump has a huge or tiny strikezone, but it is consistant for both teams, you can't complain. However, certain umpires repeatedly call horrible games, squeezing one team and having a bigger than normal strikezone for another. If you need more proof of umpire bias, rewatch the 6th inning of game three against Boston. Marte had to throw into a tea cup, and couldn't get it done. That made El Duque's feat even more incredible - he had about 6 sq. inches of strikezone to work with.
It is one thing to make an isolated bad call, such as the AJ dropped third strike (if you think it was bad). That can change a game, but it is only one call. It is much worse to repeatedly make bad calls that goes against one team.
Ever since Ozzie got in the fight with Wendlestedt the first time, the Sox' strikezone has shrunk. Froemming and Wendlestedt will always call horrible games against the Sox, but I believe some other umpires have taken up their cause to screw Ozzie. It is a shame because the original call in dispute (a Carlos Lee steal in 04) was one of the absolute laziest blown calls ever - umpire was too lazy to get his fat ass into position to actually see the play, so he called Lee out although no tag was ever applied. Any manager would have went nuts watching his man called out.

ondafarm
04-27-2006, 12:30 PM
When did Safeco get Questec?? I thought it was only in 10 parks. :o:

- Next, they have an overview (http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/2003/0605/1563649.html)of the QuesTec system. Included are the 10 stadiums that have QuesTec currently installed, a list that is both handy and dandy:Bank One Ballpark (Arizona) Fenway Park (Boston) Tropicana Field (Tampa Bay) Jacobs Field (Cleveland) Miller Park (Milwaukee) Edison Field (Anaheim) Network Associates Coliseum (Oakland) Minute Maid Park (Houston) Shea Stadium (Mets) Yankee Stadium (Yankees)

Those were the original ballparks to have it installed. Note the age of the article you linked to. Note also that Network Associates in Oakland is now McAfee. All major league stadiums now have Questec.

batmanZoSo
04-27-2006, 12:32 PM
NEVER.

LET'S GET HIM!

Yes. He's due for a South Side beatdown. I got some doorknobs, do you have a few burlap sacks laying around somewhere? :D:

Ol' No. 2
04-27-2006, 12:35 PM
I didn't notice it so much on wide strikes, but I definately noticed it on high strikes. Sox hitters were getting rung up on chest-high pitches, while Buehrle wasn't getting calls even at the belt.

You will never hear an official word about this, but they will quietly lean on him. If the crew chief also noticed it, it's his job to talk to him about it, too. But it's all done behind closed doors, as it should be.

goon
04-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Yes. He's due for a South Side beatdown. I got some doorknobs, do you have a few burlap sacks laying around somewhere? :D:

one for every member in this thread.

:tongue:

kittle42
04-27-2006, 12:46 PM
A friend of a friend of mine just emailed me the results of the Questec report on last night's Sox-Mariner's game.

Which Mariner did the Sox play? I seem to recall there being a whole team of Mariners.

21stcenturySox
04-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Think the Mariner's beat the White Sox last night? Think again. Umpire Mike Muchlinski defeated the White Sox.
Watched the game on MLBtv last nite with the Seattle feed. They noted Muchlinski was filling in for an injured ump and had called some minor league games. His other job is as a substitute kindergarten teacher in the Seattle area. They showed his peeps in the crowd (kids with 'we love umpire mike signs').

More than a few times I had the 'where was it?' moment, but as I watched I began to realize that this guy behind the plate wasn't too good.

According to the Seattle announcers he will be coming to Chicago for the Cubs series this weekend.

HotelWhiteSox
04-27-2006, 12:53 PM
I think it was ondafarm, but I remember someone in the gamethread saying that the umpire is a Mariners fan, pssh :talktothehand:

MarySwiss
04-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Which Mariner did the Sox play? I seem to recall there being a whole team of Mariners.

Gotta hand it to you; you are relentless! I only do that when someone pays me for it. :D:

Jerko
04-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Gotta hand it to you; you are relentless! I only do that when someone pays me for it. :D:

Yeah, but he missed that the guy screwed up the apostrophe too.......

MarySwiss
04-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah, but he missed that the guy screwed up the apostrophe too.......

:rolleyes:

ondafarm
04-27-2006, 12:58 PM
I didn't notice it so much on wide strikes, but I definately noticed it on high strikes. Sox hitters were getting rung up on chest-high pitches, while Buehrle wasn't getting calls even at the belt.

You will never hear an official word about this, but they will quietly lean on him. If the crew chief also noticed it, it's his job to talk to him about it, too. But it's all done behind closed doors, as it should be.

I'm not saying umpires don't occasionaly make mistakes and even that a mistake or two occasionally changes the outcome of a game. Major League baseball does keep umpire ratings very quiet and I did acquire this Questec info on the QT.

I think it is rare for an umpire to really alter a game very much, but this one certainly was. To me correcting the problem is most important, not taking vengance.

You'll also notice that MLB does take into account umpire/team issues, like Wendlestedt et al. The limiting factor is that the Umpire's Union agreement stipulates that every umpiring team must umpire each major league team for one series minimum per year. The White Sox seem to have gotten their 'bad' umpires out of the way in a few early series and have had good umpiring crews for most of the central division games. There also is a maximum number of times an umpire can call a team's games in a season and hopefully, we will have plenty of McLelland's crew (called the Twins-Sox series) and the other premiere crews.

Milw
04-27-2006, 01:25 PM
As the Mariners announcers noted several times, Muchlinski is a Seattle native ...

Not saying the guy was in the bag, but if he was emotionally invested in the outcome of the game, his subconscious may have impacted how he viewed close plays.

rdwj
04-27-2006, 01:28 PM
...if he was emotionally invested in the outcome of the game, his subconscious may have impacted how he viewed close plays.

I know if I was an ump and the Sox were playing, it would be next to impossible for me to call the game in an unbiased manner. For the guy's first time - it's insane to let him call a game for his hometown team.

Milw
04-27-2006, 01:32 PM
I know if I was an ump and the Sox were playing, it would be next to impossible for me to call the game in an unbiased manner. For the guy's first time - it's insane to let him call a game for his hometown team.
Exactly what I mean. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he was trying to be unbiased, but that doesn't mean he actually was.

Iwritecode
04-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Did the ump look like this?

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/photo/leslie_nielsen.jpg

I remember the last time he tried to call a game. :D:

Jerko
04-27-2006, 01:46 PM

He was cheating for the Mariners in THAT game too IIRC.............

rdwj
04-27-2006, 01:48 PM

Hey Look! It's Enrico Pallazzo!

gbergman
04-27-2006, 02:00 PM

:roflmao: that was classic

kjhanson
04-27-2006, 02:02 PM
It's funny that this was brought up. I laid in bed last nite and listened to the game on XM, which had on the Seattle broadcast. There were numerous occasions late in the ballgame when I would hear the ball ~pop~ the mitt, and get no indication from the announcers on whether it was a ball or strike (I assumed at this point it was a ball). Soon there-after I would hear an announcer surprisingly say "Strike, low and just barely catching the outside corner". This repeatedly happened, and I think the Seattle broadcast was caught off-guard by at least a half-dozen or so pitches like this.

ondafarm
04-27-2006, 02:18 PM

Totally agree. In addition consider that your team is having a poor start and you are playing the world champions. The world champions who no one picked to be champs last year.

Jerko
04-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Guys, I'm sure there are umps from a lot of cities that have MLB teams. So, if this guy is behind the plate when the Sox play the Angels, A's, or Rangers, will he cheat for us to give Seattle a break? Come on.

EndemicSox
04-27-2006, 02:29 PM
It sucked for the Sox, but the guy was calling his first MLB game. I think he deserves a break. Just like we can give Anderson a break for hitting .150

MarySwiss
04-27-2006, 02:30 PM

Slightly off-topic, when the D'Backs first opened at BOB, there was a lot of discussion about who would sing the National Anthem as we have some celebrities who live here, such as Alice Cooper and Stevie Nicks. I don't remember what they ultimately did--I think a bunch of them sang together--but I remember thinking this should have been a no-brainer. After all, "Enrico Palazzo" lives here too! :D:

Of course, the two or three people who haven't seen the movie wouldn't have gotten the joke, so that's probably why they didn't go with it. :cool:

MarySwiss
04-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Guys, I'm sure there are umps from a lot of cities that have MLB teams. So, if this guy is behind the plate when the Sox play the Angels, A's, or Rangers, will he cheat for us to give Seattle a break? Come on.
He probably wasn't doing it on purpose, but I can't see how a person can be completely impartial in such circumstances. And I don't think it was particularly bright on the Seattle announcers' part to keep yapping about how he was from Seattle, especially when they realized how brutal the umping was. Of course then again maybe they never did realize it, since they're brutal too.

I remember wondering idly if the Seattle broadcasters even knew there was such a thing as MLB.tv and that people other than Seattle fans might actually be watching the game and hearing them.

Milw
04-27-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm just trying to put myself in his shoes. If I were umpiring a Sox game my very first MLB game, no less I would do my best to be impartial, but I know inevitably I would subconsciously give the Sox the benefit of the doubt on a close call.

Would I be able to impartially call a Twins-Mariners game, or an Indians-Blue Jays game? Yeah, I think I could. Could I impartially call a Sox-Devil Rays game? I know I couldn't.

MLB should have a rule barring umpires from doing games involving their hometown teams or any team they're known to have been a fan of. That should be a given.

miker
04-27-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree that it's all about adjustments, but it's also about being fair. When the other pitcher gets an extra 6-10 inches of the plate, you're just not playing the same game that their batters are.
Just ask Greg Maddux...

miker
04-27-2006, 03:08 PM
It sucked for the Sox, but the guy was calling his first MLB game. I think he deserves a break. Just like we can give Anderson a break for hitting .150
Is that our requisite "anti-Brian Anderson remark of the day"?

bobbythigpen
04-27-2006, 04:08 PM
is anyone sure that this QuesTec stuff from last night is correct? Here's a story (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/218828_mbok05.html) from the Seattle Times (from last year) that says there's no QuesTec at Safeco. Couldnt find anything that says it has since been installed there.

EndemicSox
04-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Is that our requisite "anti-Brian Anderson remark of the day"?

No, I was making a point. You give newcomers time to adjust. If Anderson continues his torrid streak, your going to see more than 1 comment a day that could be construed as "negative" about him. Take it all with a grain of salt...

miker
04-27-2006, 08:08 PM
No, I was making a point. You give newcomers time to adjust. If Anderson continues his torrid streak, your going to see more than 1 comment a day that could be construed as "negative" about him. Take it all with a grain of salt...
Okay. I should have highlighted my comment with some moderate teal or something. I too am for giving Brian time to adjust and I'm glad he's showing positive signs.

As for the umpires, I'm surprised this isn't a bigger problem. Just like expansion has watered down the player's talent level, the same holds for the umps.

ondafarm
04-28-2006, 09:50 AM
. . . As for the umpires, I'm surprised this isn't a bigger problem. Just like expansion has watered down the player's talent level, the same holds for the umps. . .

That may have been true when expansion first occurred, but I believe that in general the umpiring today is as good and professional, if not better than, at any time I can remember. Baseball seems finally to have done away with the showboating umpire issues and the vast majority of umpires are now extremely professional and competent.

A major league umpire is longer in the minors than any player.

lumpyspun
04-28-2006, 10:58 AM
This was written yesterday about Questec....granted the author is an ass (and a Pods hater). Nothing too shocking coming out of the story, but its the most recent news on Questec. He mentions that 10 stadiums had it installed a few years ago, but doesn't say if everyone has it now.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5539976

ondafarm
04-28-2006, 11:26 AM
What I have been led to believe about Questec was that the Umpires union filed a grievance and then dropped it after MLB granted them certain concessions. The big number one concession was that MLB stop publisizing it. I don't think the umpires minded being graded as long as 1) it was a self-evaluation tool first and 2) it was umpires who handled the grading aspects of it.

To be fair, doctors seem to want the same thing when it comes to malpractice.

Since no one seems to be getting much press about it and MLB seems to be holding up their end of the bargain, I'm pretty sure it is in place at all stadiums.

I know that it is in place at all International League stadiums because a former teammate of mine who scouts the IL tells me that he can now get Questec reports on an individual player basis, provided they pitch a certain number of innings or have a certain number of at bats in the IL. This obviously, is designed to protect the umpires confidentiality.

ESPN has their K-zone which shows the location of pitches and they seem able to do it at all ML stadiums. I haven't seen every last one, but no of no exceptions.

The Critic
04-28-2006, 11:27 AM
I got called out in little league on a ball that rolled over home plate.

The home plate umpire for that particular Little League game?
....you guessed it......a young Mike Muchlinski!

:D:

lpneck
04-28-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm just trying to put myself in his shoes. If I were umpiring a Sox game my very first MLB game, no less I would do my best to be impartial, but I know inevitably I would subconsciously give the Sox the benefit of the doubt on a close call.

Would I be able to impartially call a Twins-Mariners game, or an Indians-Blue Jays game? Yeah, I think I could. Could I impartially call a Sox-Devil Rays game? I know I couldn't.

MLB should have a rule barring umpires from doing games involving their hometown teams or any team they're known to have been a fan of. That should be a given.

Let me preface my post with a few statements...
1.) I am a high school and college basketball referee.
2.) I didn't get to see the game because it was on WCIU, so I have no idea if he was bad, but I think it's pretty silly to say that an umpire costs a team a game that they lose 5-1. It's almost as silly as a team saying that the umpires cost them a series they lost 4 games to 1.

Your thought process that he is a biased Mariners fan is ridiculous. Look, this guy could have been the biggest Mariners fan in their history as a kid growing up, but he's not anymore. He is a professional umpire. Do you know how many years this guy put in working his way up through low levels of baseball, into the minors, and finally to make it to the show? You think the fact that at some point in his life that he probably had a favorite team has any impact on what he is trying to do career-wise? He is in it for HIS best interests, not the Mariners. Do you think they pulled him out of the bleachers at Safeco and said "Hey, we had an injury and saw you working your son's liitle league game the other night. Want to give us a hand?"

Put it this way- if the Sox had played the Cardinals in the World Series last year would Buehrle have lost game 2 on purpose because he was going up against the team he rooted for as a kid? Of course not... he is involved as a PROFESSIONAL. Not as a FAN. Same goes for the umpires.

California Sox
04-28-2006, 03:15 PM
How do you explain the data then? I agree, as a professional umpire it would be in his best interest to be impartial, but if Questec is to be believed, he wasn't. What's your theory as to why that is?

ondafarm
04-28-2006, 03:30 PM
. . . I didn't get to see the game because it was on WCIU, so I have no idea if he was bad, but I think it's pretty silly to say that an umpire costs a team a game that they lose 5-1. . .

Ok, I'll go easy on you and start by saying welcome to WSI.

Like you said, you didn't see the game.

The guy in question looked to be all of his late twenties if that. I have qualified that umpires seldom cost one team a game, but the Questec report showed how his mistakes directly led to three of Seatle's runs. The batters who drove those runs in should have been called out on strikes before they hit the pitches they did.

If three runs are directly tied and the bias is systemic, as the Questec report directly shows and the margin can directly be shown to be the smallest possible (2-1) then the margin of error for indirect linkage definately makes the conclusion logical.

And I think it's pretty silly to say anything about a game which you didn't see and that the Major League Baseball's own report says was the worst ball-strike calling in the past five years. If any ballgame in the past five years was affected by poor umpiring, it was that game.

MarySwiss
04-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Your thought process that he is a biased Mariners fan is ridiculous.
I think the consensus is that he was not intentionally favoring the Mariners, but that subconsciously he might have been. And the numbers seem to support that. Add to that: this was his first game behind the plate. Also, the mere fact that someone is a professional doesn't necessarily make them good at what they do.

With regard to the Buehrle comparison, apples and oranges. If Buehrle was pitching against the Cards, he would be a competitor. The umpire is not. Or at least he's not supposed to be.

ondafarm
04-30-2006, 02:23 PM
I was watching some of the Yes! Broadcast of the Yankee$ and Blue Jays and they are having umpiring problems with an umpire's first time at the Brothel in the Bronx.

Well, the announcers were speaking about baseball being in the Questec Era and how this is the "first full year where every stadium has Questec" and that there were a few "laggard stadiums at the start of last year".