PDA

View Full Version : Delmon Young update

maurice
04-27-2006, 12:19 PM
This (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060426&content_id=61709&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp) is not good:
The Durham Bulls outfielder, listed No. 1 on most prospect lists...took a called third strike from Pawtucket's Jon Lester in the first inning of the International League contest. Following the strike call, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2003 draft refused to leave the batter's box, glaring back at the home plate umpire for an extended period of time, according to those who witnessed the game. "He stood there, looking back for a long period of time, maybe 30 seconds," Pawtucket broadcaster Dan Hoard recalled....Young finally took a step or two toward his dugout when the umpire ejected him from the game. The timing of the ejection made it seem like Young said something to the umpire as he began his retreat, but Hoard said Miller told him Young was silent at the time. Young then took a couple of steps and threw the bat at the umpire. According to AP reports, Young flipped the bat underhand. It sailed end over end and hit the umpire in the chest....This is not the first time Young has let his anger get the better of him. Last May, while playing in the Double-A Southern League for the Montgomery Biscuits, he drew a three-game suspension for bumping an umpire. He also was nearly ejected earlier in the season when, after being hit by a pitch, he flung his bat in the air and it landed about 20 feet from the pitcher....

:o: :o: :o:

maurice
04-27-2006, 01:10 PM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2423307) reports that Young has been suspended and that the matter is being investigated.

DaleJRFan
04-27-2006, 01:14 PM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2423307) reports that Young has been suspended and that the matter is being investigated.

If the league doesn't suspent him, the DRays should. There is no excuse for this ass clown behavior.

Randar68
04-27-2006, 01:17 PM
If the league doesn't suspent him, the DRays should. There is no excuse for this ass clown behavior.

He's already been suspended by the team...

California Sox
04-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Second coming of Albert Belle in every way, I guess.

soxfanatlanta
04-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Second coming of Albert Belle in every way, I guess.

I was thinking more of hyper-Milton Bradley. He better clue in, or end up one of those wasted-talent types.

HotelWhiteSox
04-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Looked up his name in a thesaurus, :dumbass:

I'm trying to find an online video, but saw it on ESPNEWS, this should be a season long suspension type of deal

Meixner007
04-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Looked up his name in a thesaurus, :dumbass:

I'm trying to find an online video, but saw it on ESPNEWS, this should be a season long suspension type of deal

Yeah I just saw it on ESPNews as well. He'll be done for awhile. Maybe the whole season. He didn't "toss" it at the ump like previous reports stated. He really threw that bat hard.

maurice
04-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Linky (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060427&content_id=61852&vkey=pr_milb&fext=.jsp)

The DRays' Executive VP said:
The Devil Rays organization supports the decision by International League President Randy Mobley to suspend Delmon Young indefinitely for the incident that took place last night in Pawtucket. We do not tolerate this type of conduct from anyone in the Devil Rays organization. We will meet with Delmon and his representatives as soon as possible to further address this unfortunate situation. It cannot and will not be repeated.

ondafarm
04-27-2006, 05:08 PM
I was suspended, by the team chaplain no less, for three days at the beginning of my first season in Japan until I "properly aligned my ki". It took two games of sitting on the bench with the chaplain, a 90 year old Buddhist monk, for me to finally ask him to explain what I had to do. I needed an interpreter to actually communicate with the guy. Finally, it was explained that I needed to act like a samurai (see Mushashi's Book of Five Rings) and let neither success nor failure affect my person and accept my fate. Both hitting a homer and striking out are fates and should not be emotionally responded to. One should accept them, return to one's dugout and continue the game.

I never quite mastered it, then again Iguchi isn't perfect either, but after one game of consultation, I was allowed to resume my catching duties.

Ol' No. 2
04-27-2006, 05:23 PM
I was suspended, by the team chaplain no less, for three days at the beginning of my first season in Japan until I "properly aligned my ki". It took two games of sitting on the bench with the chaplain, a 90 year old Buddhist monk, for me to finally ask him to explain what I had to do. I needed an interpreter to actually communicate with the guy. Finally, it was explained that I needed to act like a samurai (see Mushashi's Book of Five Rings) and let neither success nor failure affect my person and accept my fate. Both hitting a homer and striking out are fates and should not be emotionally responded to. One should accept them, return to one's dugout and continue the game.

I never quite mastered it, then again Iguchi isn't perfect either, but after one game of consultation, I was allowed to resume my catching duties.You learn well, grasshopper.

maurice
04-27-2006, 08:34 PM
I was suspended, by the team chaplain no less, for three days at the beginning of my first season in Japan until I "properly aligned my ki".

You should have hit him in the chest with a bokken.

soxfanatlanta
04-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Yeah I just saw it on ESPNews as well. He'll be done for awhile. Maybe the whole season. He didn't "toss" it at the ump like previous reports stated. He really threw that bat hard.

I just saw the replay - damn. If the ump didn't have his chest protector on, he probobly would have a nice bruise going right now.

Talk about a career limiting manuver.

mccoydp
04-28-2006, 02:24 PM

I never quite mastered it, then again Iguchi isn't perfect either, but after one game of consultation, I was allowed to resume my catching duties.

Wax on, wax off. :D:

maurice
04-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Now he says he didn't do it on purpose. That should hold up real well:
"I didn't mean to throw the bat AT him, Commisioner. I meant to throw
it 2 inches to his left and hit him by accident!"
:rolleyes:

I guess it would be more convincing if Young:
(1) didn't throw things for a living;
(2) hadn't hit an umpire on a previous occasion; and/or
(3) hadn't thrown a bat at somebody on a previous occasion.

He gone
04-28-2006, 04:17 PM
I was listening to the Dan Patrick show on espn radio and he was actually getting e-mails and phone calls supporting what Young did. :o:

It was a bad call, the Ump is a replacement Ump, but there is NO reason to justify what he did. I think he should be done for the year at the very least. He also better hope that the Ump does not file charges against him.