PDA

View Full Version : Eduardo Sierra - Who is he?

Dadawg_77
04-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Sox picked him off of the waiver wire yesterday from the Rockies. Is the guy just filler or someone the Sox hoping could become something?

maurice
04-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Hard thrower with bad control.
Sound familiar?

Ol' No. 2
04-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Calling Doctor Cooper....

soxfanatlanta
04-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Calling Doctor Cooper....

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/pressbox/photos/headshots_players_coaches/112653_90x135.jpg "Another reclamation project? Sure, why the hell not?"

Soxheads
04-27-2006, 02:42 PM
How much could Coop actually do hundreds of miles away?

KRS1
04-27-2006, 03:23 PM
One of the prospect books I have says...

"Explosive fastball and splitter, that moves violently downward, allowing him to miss bats,and may be the type that is effectively wild. Flies open at finish and does not repeat delivery, affecting command negatively. Agreesive nature suits bullpen role well, but needs some finesse to game."
--2006 Minor League Baseball Analyst

He has mid to upper 90s heat and very good movement on his upper 80s splitter. His problem sounds like it will always be command with his erratic delivery. I wonder why no one ever tries changing these types motion to a more technichally sound one. Even if it takes a little away from the deceptiveness, I find it hard to believe making them more smooth would take away much from their stuff.

Randar68
04-27-2006, 04:37 PM
He has mid to upper 90s heat and very good movement on his upper 80s splitter. His problem sounds like it will always be command with his erratic delivery. I wonder why no one ever tries changing these types motion to a more technichally sound one. Even if it takes a little away from the deceptiveness, I find it hard to believe making them more smooth would take away much from their stuff.

Once these guys have ingrained deliveries, not everyone is successful at changing styles...

The good thing is, once you have a reputation for "fixing" pitchers as an organization, it kind of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, right? I mean, pitchers come into your organization more open-minded because of that successful track record.

KRS1
04-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Once these guys have ingrained deliveries, not everyone is successful at changing styles...

The good thing is, once you have a reputation for "fixing" pitchers as an organization, it kind of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, right? I mean, pitchers come into your organization more open-minded because of that successful track record.

Yes I understand that first point, but would it not be easier to learn a new motion for a year or two in the minors, then to spend an entire career there because your current ones consistency has stopped you from establishing command in the zone. If someone truely has a good arm, I find it hard to believe changing things up to be more efficient will hurt them in the long run.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Supposedly he can hit 98 with his FB.