PDA

View Full Version : Twins Stadium Bill Passes MN House

Hitmen77
04-27-2006, 12:06 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060426&content_id=1420502&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

BlackAndWhite
04-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Oh no! The Metrodome's days might be numbered??!!?!?
:)

mrfourni
04-27-2006, 05:28 PM
An open air stadium? Those could be some cold early/late season games.

longshot7
04-27-2006, 05:51 PM
good for them - they deserve it.

cleanwsox
04-27-2006, 07:26 PM

It's been unusually warm here in MN for pretty much all of April. I don't see how it can be any different than Chicago. Of course, you will have your nippy games but that's why they play all these day games in April.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-27-2006, 07:46 PM

Let's hope they don't have any late season games to worry about.

Palehose13
04-27-2006, 09:17 PM
It's been unusually warm here in MN for pretty much all of April. I don't see how it can be any different than Chicago. Of course, you will have your nippy games but that's why they play all these day games in April.

There is a noticeable temperature difference between Milwaukee and Chicago. There has to be one between Minneapolis and Chicago. Of course, the Twins could always get a retractable roof.

Nellie_Fox
04-28-2006, 01:48 PM
As of now, the Minnesota state senate isn't buying the house version.

Link (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/14446580.htm)

Madvora
04-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Of course, the Twins could always get a retractable roof.
It seems like all new stadiums are coming in like that. I would be surprised if Minnesota didn't consider that with their colder weather.

Why the teal though? Is it because any stadium is unlikely, or because the retractable roof is way more than they could afford?

scottjanssens
04-28-2006, 02:59 PM
I think originally a retractable roof was planned but then scrapped to make it a cheaper, ergo easier, sell.

Nellie_Fox
04-28-2006, 03:23 PM
As it is, the legislature is exempting this whole thing from the state law requiring a voter referendum because they know it will not be approved. They're afraid of severe voter backlash if they make it a retractable roof. At least initially. In the usual method of "being nibbled to death" they'll probably work it in later.

ma-gaga
04-28-2006, 03:51 PM
As it is, the legislature is exempting this whole thing from the state law requiring a voter referendum because they know it will not be approved. They're afraid of severe voter backlash if they make it a retractable roof. At least initially. In the usual method of "being nibbled to death" they'll probably work it in later.

So Nellie, Are you in favor of this plan?? You would be exempt from paying unless you headed up/down/over to Hennepin County and saw a game.

We'll just see if "my guy" Pogemiller, kills the bill. I like Pogemiller, but he's starting to get a little too creative in his thinking.

As I understand, because of the location, a retractable roof is impossible. I'm not 100% sure WHY, but that's what I've heard.

Nellie_Fox
04-28-2006, 04:08 PM
So Nellie, Are you in favor of this plan?? You would be exempt from paying unless you headed up/down/over to Hennepin County and saw a game. Or any other purchase in Hennepin County.

I'm opposed to taxpayer funding of sports stadia on principle, not depending on whether it's my ox being gored. This is particularly egregious since they are refusing to let the Hennepin County citizens vote on it, even though state law requires a referendum and the citizens clearly want one. And yes, I was also opposed to taxpayer funding of the renovation of the Ordway. I simply don't see these things as legitimate functions of government.

Plus, I don't believe for a minute that this project can be done on three tenths of one percent sales tax. I think its a cynical scam, and then after construction is started we'll hear "gee, the revenue stream hasn't been what we projected, and what else can we do, now that it's started? We can't just abandon the project, look at the sunk costs. We're going to have to kick in some general revenue funds."

Look at the sleight of hand that the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities is pulling. They are "selling" land "owned by the university" to the state to obtain funding for their new stadium. Well, talk about a scam. Let's see, the taxpayers bought that land for the university. Now the taxpayers are buying it from them to transfer it to another public entity, thus having purchased the same piece of land twice.

s.dedalus
04-28-2006, 04:11 PM
As I understand, because of the location, a retractable roof is impossible. I'm not 100% sure WHY, but that's what I've heard.

The space constraints make it impossible. My understanding was that a retractable roof stadium has to be significantly larger than most open ones in order to support that feature. But the Rapid Park site that the Hennepin County plan is attached to just isn't big enough.

DumpJerry
04-28-2006, 04:55 PM
I think we need to be mindful of the quasi-political statements being made here.

Having lived in the Twin Cities from 1980-87, I am a bit amused by the antics. They love their Twins, but don't seem to want to admit to making a mistake by building the Homerdome. This is a mistake that keeps on giving now that they realize it will cost bucko $$$$ to correct or lose the Twins. Not sure where the Vikings would go if there was no stadium for them. Taking the Vikings out of Minnesota would be more traumatic to the locals than taking the Bears out of Chicago to Chicagoans.

I was at the last home opener at the old Met Stadium, it was a grand ballpark. I quit going to Twins games because indoor baseball is an abomination.

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2006, 01:53 AM
This is a mistake that keeps on giving now that they realize it will cost bucko $$$$ to correct or lose the Twins.It's an empty threat. Where would they move? They've tried their contraction threat and that didn't work. The Twins aren't going anywhere. (bucko? Do you mean beaucoup?)
Not sure where the Vikings would go if there was no stadium for them. They have actual options. Los Angeles, for one. And there are a lot of southern cities that would support pro football for ten games a year, but not pro baseball for 81.