PDA

View Full Version : howry to the dodgers?


mike squires
01-26-2002, 11:16 AM
last night my father in law who is pretty reliable for baseball gossip saw on ESPN.com and another baseball web sight that the dodgers are looking at booby howry as a possible closer. the other guy mentioned is a starter. i'm not sure of his name. this woud be a big mistake. howry is a perfect set up man and even a closer in case foulke is over used or hurt. keep in mind it is just a rumor as of right now. michael penny

voodoochile
01-26-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by michael penny
last night my father in law who is pretty reliable for baseball gossip saw on ESPN.com and another baseball web sight that the dodgers are looking at booby howry as a possible closer. the other guy mentioned is a starter. i'm not sure of his name. this woud be a big mistake. howry is a perfect set up man and even a closer in case foulke is over used or hurt. keep in mind it is just a rumor as of right now. michael penny

Don't know what we would get back, but there are plenty of set-up men on the Sox (Osuna, Wunsch, Barcelo). I know all those guys are coming back from surgery, but there are also tons of minor-league pitchers ready to make the jump to at least a bullpen role. If the Sox can trade a guy who has been at best inconsistent in the 4 years he has been on the team for a starter, I say do it. Starters can almost always become bullpen guys, it rarely works the other way.

If the Dodgers expect Howry to be a closer, they are in for a rude awakening the first 5 times he becomes "The Gascan"...

czalgosz
01-26-2002, 11:50 AM
This has been discussed before. The most common name that is floated is Eric Gagne for Howry, which would be a great trade, IMO, even though I think that Howry will have a good year next year.

And Dan Evans certainly ccouldn't say that he doesn't know what he's getting in Howry...

WinningUgly!
01-26-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by michael penny
last night my father in law who is pretty reliable for baseball gossip saw on ESPN.com and another baseball web sight that the dodgers are looking at booby howry as a possible closer. the other guy mentioned is a starter. i'm not sure of his name. this woud be a big mistake. howry is a perfect set up man and even a closer in case foulke is over used or hurt . keep in mind it is just a rumor as of right now. michael penny

Huh? Howry is a perfect set up man or closer, only if you are the team going against him. I know it was a type-o, but I like the sound of Booby Howry! :D: I'm for any trade of Howry.

kermittheefrog
01-26-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
This has been discussed before. The most common name that is floated is Eric Gagne for Howry, which would be a great trade, IMO, even though I think that Howry will have a good year next year.

And Dan Evans certainly ccouldn't say that he doesn't know what he's getting in Howry...

Not necessarily referring to you here czalgosz because I don't remember what you thought of Kip but I think it's funny a lot of the anti-Kip guys are excited about getting Gagne because Gagne has pretty much been Kip Wells west. Their careers are parallels too. They both came up at the end of 1999 and impressed enough to get rotation spots and a ton of attention entering 2000. Then they sucked, got sent back to the minors, had their balls questioned, etc. The biggest difference between them is that Gagne is a year older and presumably doesn't send out apology letters when he hits batters.

czalgosz
01-26-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog


Not necessarily referring to you here czalgosz because I don't remember what you thought of Kip but I think it's funny a lot of the anti-Kip guys are excited about getting Gagne because Gagne has pretty much been Kip Wells west. Their careers are parallels too. They both came up at the end of 1999 and impressed enough to get rotation spots and a ton of attention entering 2000. Then they sucked, got sent back to the minors, had their balls questioned, etc. The biggest difference between them is that Gagne is a year older and presumably doesn't send out apology letters when he hits batters.

I liked Kip okay, I'm not terribly broken up about him leaving, but I thought he had potential.

That said, here's why I would like Gagne more than Kip -

Gagne (2001) -

WHIP - 1.25
K/BB ratio - 2.83

Kip (2001) -

WHIP - 1.55
K/BB ratio - 1.62

They both have similar careers, but Gagne is by far the superior pitcher.

CerberusWG
01-26-2002, 02:56 PM
IMO Barcelo coudl step in as the setup guy.

kermittheefrog
01-26-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
IMO Barcelo coudl step in as the setup guy.

That's assuming Barcelo doesn't strain his arm playing video games and end up out for the season.

FarWestChicago
01-26-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog


That's assuming Barcelo doesn't strain his arm playing video games and end up out for the season. That's cold, Kermit. I really like Lorenzo when he's healthy. Unfortunately, you might be right about the video game thing. :smile:

cornball
01-26-2002, 10:03 PM
It has been mentioned for a time Howry for Gagne....too bad we could throw in Clayton and upgrade to Nomo......

I believe Barcelo will be meffective when healthy than Bobby....Howry has a serious problem with walks at the wrong time

Daver
01-26-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by cornball
It has been mentioned for a time Howry for Gagne....too bad we could throw in Clayton and upgrade to Nomo......

I believe Barcelo will be meffective when healthy than Bobby....Howry has a serious problem with walks at the wrong time

Howry has a bigger problem than that,he only has one effective pitch,and his arm sujery may keep him from ever throwing fastball past anyone again.


But then again what the hell do I know?

cornball
01-26-2002, 10:22 PM
Did he have surgery this off season? I know he had surgery before the start of last year.

I was never a big fan of his.....but if you think he may never get the fastball back, then a deal would be to our benefit dont you think.

Pete_SSAC
01-27-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
That's cold, Kermit. I really like Lorenzo when he's healthy. Unfortunately, you might be right about the video game thing. :smile:

Hey, what's wrong with video games?

Anyway, although I thing that Howry could be a great set up guy, what he did last season has stuck in my craw and I don't mind seeing him go at all. I think that a healthy Ousna could fill his spot, as well as Lorenzo. As for Gagne, he looks like he could be a goodie, but I still think we gotta get another vet for this rotation. I don't want to be stuck with another talent who doesn't show it (aka Kip)

- Pete, who's getting ready for spring training, by comeing out of hibernation

RichH55
01-27-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC


Hey, what's wrong with video games?

Anyway, although I thing that Howry could be a great set up guy, what he did last season has stuck in my craw and I don't mind seeing him go at all. I think that a healthy Ousna could fill his spot, as well as Lorenzo. As for Gagne, he looks like he could be a goodie, but I still think we gotta get another vet for this rotation. I don't want to be stuck with another talent who doesn't show it (aka Kip)

- Pete, who's getting ready for spring training, by comeing out of hibernation


This Howry rumor doesnt seem to be going away......I still like Howry/Clayton for Gagne/Kreuter or something along those lines.....sort of my disappointment for yours?