PDA

View Full Version : Aflac-Paciorek

bayzbol44
04-27-2006, 07:46 AM
Anyone hear the Aflac question the other day with the answer being Paciorek? Is it true there was silence in the booth from the tool Hawk Harrelson? Was he not happy that Paciorek's name came up?

rdwj
04-27-2006, 07:49 AM
No - not true at all. DJ said he was a great player and Hawk agreed.

Frontman
04-27-2006, 07:49 AM
It wasn't an "unusual" amount of quiet from Hawk, about the same amount he has after any of the Aflac questions. Personally, I think the trivia questions are covers for Hawk when he either hasn't returned to the booth or is drinking/eating or something.

Viva Medias B's
04-27-2006, 07:56 AM
:hawk
"I luuuv that duck."

Steelrod
04-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Maybe, but he doesn't like Wimpy !

BeviBall!
04-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Yeah... but he was about as enthused as I would be about a Dr. Phil marathon.:puking:

Bobbo35
04-27-2006, 08:19 AM
It wasn't an "unusual" amount of quiet from Hawk, about the same amount he has after any of the Aflac questions. Personally, I think the trivia questions are covers for Hawk when he either hasn't returned to the booth or is drinking/eating or something.

They had that on Mac, Jurko and Harry yesterday as well. Ya, there was a silence from Hawk. I was laughing during the game when that goofy question came up.

rdwj
04-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Yeah... but he was about as enthused as I would be about a Dr. Phil marathon.:puking:

Lol - no he wasn't doing cartwheels or singing his praises, but he certainly didn't act like a "tool". Seems like bayzbol44's is just one of those Hawk haters just looking for a reason to complain about the guy.

Beer Can Chicken
04-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Anyone hear the Aflac question the other day with the answer being Paciorek? Is it true there was silence in the booth from the tool Hawk Harrelson? Was he not happy that Paciorek's name came up?

Yeah, it was very awkward. When the answer was first announced, DJ read the answer and Hawk refused to comment. Then DJ pressed him for the 2nd time and Hawk reluctantly agreed that he was a great player.
Pretty classless move by Hawk if you ask me. But probably not as classless as getting Paciorek removed form the booth.

BeviBall!
04-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Lol - no he wasn't doing cartwheels or singing his praises, but he certainly didn't act like a "tool". Seems like bayzbol44's is just one of those Hawk haters just looking for a reason to complain about the guy.

True. Man, what I wouldn't give to find out what really happened between those two.

rdwj
04-27-2006, 08:30 AM
True. Man, what I wouldn't give to find out what really happened between those two.

Ya, that would be nice to know

dickallen15
04-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Has it been confirmed Hawk got Wimpy canned? I heard the alleged incident with the trivia question, and although there was hesitation, could have been for a variety of reasons. I also have heard Hawk mention Wimpy fondly a few times in the booth the last couple seasons.

rdwj
04-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Has it been confirmed Hawk got Wimpy canned?

I'm pretty sure it's just speculation.

Hitmen77
04-27-2006, 08:50 AM

If Paciorek was the answer, what was the trivia question?

rdwj
04-27-2006, 08:56 AM
If Paciorek was the answer, what was the trivia question?

What White Sox broadcaster was removed from the booth because Hawk didn't like him?

getonbckthr
04-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Whats the story behind the Hawk-Wimpy feud?

mantis1212
04-27-2006, 09:30 AM
There was definitely an uncomfortable silence from Hawk. It was obvious Hawk did not want to talk about Wimpy.

How could an Aflac trivia question come up about a guy you shared the booth with for 10(?) years and you not have a comment? I have never heard Hawk talk about Wimpy either.

wdelaney72
04-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Look, I love Hawk, but I listened to the exchange between Hawk and DJ and it is quite obvious that Hawk simply refused to comment. It's not like DJ was just talking and Hawk let him go on. DJ TWICE steered the discussion to Hawk, only to get dead silence.

Like I said, I love Hawk, but in this situation he acted like a 13-year old little girl.

RogueWarrior27
04-27-2006, 10:18 AM
What White Sox broadcaster was removed from the booth because Hawk didn't like him?

That made me laugh. :bandance:

Although, everybody else probably saw that coming from a mile away.

Over By There
04-27-2006, 10:25 AM
I agree that there was more to it than the usual silence from Hawk. Hawk seems to be at his most gregarious when talking about players or other baseball people that he's had the opportunity to work with, play with or just be around. That made his silence conspicuous (but not surprising), IMO.

jackbrohamer
04-27-2006, 10:40 AM

:kneeslap: That was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. There has been a lot of speculation about why Paciorek left but unless I missed something, none of the principals (Hawk, Wimpy and Reinsdorf) have said much of anything

bayzbol44
04-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah, it was very awkward. When the answer was first announced, DJ read the answer and Hawk refused to comment. Then DJ pressed him for the 2nd time and Hawk reluctantly agreed that he was a great player.
Pretty classless move by Hawk if you ask me. But probably not as classless as getting Paciorek removed form the booth.

Thanks for the honesty and not covering for the tool Hawk. Seems like there are a lot of Hawk lovers on this site who thinks he does no wrong.

Palehose13
04-27-2006, 12:11 PM

:hawk
"You gonna be the second one if you keep pressing this issue."

:DJ
"Uh-oh"

bayzbol44
04-27-2006, 12:12 PM
I am sure Hawk had some comments for DJ between innings after that exchange.

dickallen15
04-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the honesty and not covering for the tool Hawk. Seems like there are a lot of Hawk lovers on this site who thinks he does no wrong.

Interesting that you have concluded Hawk is a tool. For one, it has never been confirmed that Hawk got Wimpy canned,Wimpy, BTW, didn't get canned, he quit, and two, how do you know that Wimpy was the consumate professional. It is possible that the story he gave as to why he was leaving when it happened, something along the lines of basically his bosses wanting him to work a little harder, could be true. He also later came out courageously with the abuse story mentioning how it affected his life, causing him to cheat on his wife and affecting it in other ways. Wimpy quit. Hawk didn't get him fired. Wimpy had a lot on his mind, and God bless him for having the strength to get it out. Who knows how that affected his work or his relationships with the people he worked with and for. I have heard Hawk speak very fondly of Wimpy in the booth several times. The other night's hesitation, quite easily could have been because he was coughing, getting notes, coming back from taking a leak, anything. I think people are making way too much of it. If he really hated Wimpy he wouldn't have agreed he was a good player.

HotelWhiteSox
04-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, I think there was something to that silence. I also heard it on Mac, Jurko, and Harry, and thought it was hilarious how DJ tried to get a response on him, and Hawk changed the subject.

If you do a search for Wimpy on these forums, you will find stories of people who have met him and claim that Paciorek thinks of Hawk as a 'backstabbing *******' and that the background to the story was that Hawk went to the higher ups about Wimpy not being prepared enough for the games. Also there is the theories about Hawk's ego and also alcohol, but all of the one's I've heard said Hawk was the one that got him out

hawkjt
04-27-2006, 01:55 PM
I thought Mac was off base yesterday on MJ&H as he went on and on about how much tension there is between DJ and hawk. Saying that Hawk never responds to DJ in the booth and their is no chemistry.

He took that one moment and expanded it to make it sound like hawk constantly ignores DJ. I think they have been getting along fine and have more chemistry than in the past.

I just think sometimes DJ says some dumb stuff that hawk chooses not to respond to cuz it would go nowhere. Mac forgets that they have over 3 hours to fill and they are just not going to be chattering constantly. Hawk is on record as liking to let the game breathe a little.

They aren't the best but they have improved as DJ gets a little better.

Last nite it seemed hawk took most of the nite off. DJ did play by play for mutiple innings.

I just detect that since the sox have gone to the competitor the espn guys are more critical of everything sox. Mac bitches about haircuts,carl everett talk,Hawk,singleton,farmio,ect. and he is a sox fan.

IA_soxfan
04-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Interesting that you have concluded Hawk is a tool. For one, it has never been confirmed that Hawk got Wimpy canned,Wimpy, BTW, didn't get canned, he quit, and two, how do you know that Wimpy was the consumate professional. It is possible that the story he gave as to why he was leaving when it happened, something along the lines of basically his bosses wanting him to work a little harder, could be true. He also later came out courageously with the abuse story mentioning how it affected his life, causing him to cheat on his wife and affecting it in other ways. Wimpy quit. Hawk didn't get him fired. Wimpy had a lot on his mind, and God bless him for having the strength to get it out. Who knows how that affected his work or his relationships with the people he worked with and for. I have heard Hawk speak very fondly of Wimpy in the booth several times. The other night's hesitation, quite easily could have been because he was coughing, getting notes, coming back from taking a leak, anything. I think people are making way too much of it. If he really hated Wimpy he wouldn't have agreed he was a good player.

Great post. I suppose its symtomatic of our hot start that certain people here are going to keep bitching about things that don't have anything to do with what is happening on the field.

Taliesinrk
04-27-2006, 02:07 PM

*****.. look, I don't know what happened, but neither do you (hopefully; otherwise I sound like you: someone not knowing what they're talking about). unless i stand corrected, you weren't there or part of their relationship... it's not that everyone looooves hawk; they're just not as quick as you to jump on someone and an issue that they're pretty much ignorant about.

bayzbol44
04-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Great post. I suppose its symtomatic of our hot start that certain people here are going to keep bitching about things that don't have anything to do with what is happening on the field.

Who's bitching? Calling someone a tool is bitching? First, my original posst was just a question, to see which Hawk homers would actually admit that their TV God was being classless. Yes, I am basng some of my thoughts on Wimpy's stories However, I can also tell he is a tool the way he talks down to his partners. Yes, Wimpy did quit. However, would you keep working with someone who NEVER would let you look better than him/her? Has anyone heard him with Atlanta? Wow, he sounds professional. Hawk probably didn't want that and he wanted "Wimpy" to keep being the dumb one. Has anyone also heard DJ on Fox? He plays a WHOLE different role and he sounds somewhat decent.

Steelrod
04-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Yes, I think there was something to that silence. I also heard it on Mac, Jurko, and Harry, and thought it was hilarious how DJ tried to get a response on him, and Hawk changed the subject.

If you do a search for Wimpy on these forums, you will find stories of people who have met him and claim that Paciorek thinks of Hawk as a 'backstabbing *******' and that the background to the story was that Hawk went to the higher ups about Wimpy not being prepared enough for the games. Also there is the theories about Hawk's ego and also alcohol, but all of the one's I've heard said Hawk was the one that got him out
Silence speaks volumes!
If Wimpy didn't work hard enough, how does that explain him working for Detroit, Atlanta, and Seattle the following season. Must have been quite a schedule!

dickallen15
04-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Silence speaks volumes!
If Wimpy didn't work hard enough, how does that explain him working for Detroit, Atlanta, and Seattle the following season. Must have been quite a schedule!

And if he's one of the world's greatest broadcasters, why is it he seems to have a different job every year? I liked Wimpy, and I wouldn't mind having him back. I like the fact that the game isn't necessarily life or death to him. I really doubt the entire story will ever be public knowledge. BTW, I do think he still does the White Sox fantasy camps.

Taliesinrk
04-27-2006, 02:43 PM
And if he's one of the world's greatest broadcasters, why is it he seems to have a different job every year? I liked Wimpy, and I wouldn't mind having him back. I like the fact that the game isn't necessarily life or death to him. I really doubt the entire story will ever be public knowledge. BTW, I do think he still does the White Sox fantasy camps.

good point.. also to the previous poster.. perhaps he worked "so hard" the following year because he no longer had a choice. once again, i loved hawk and wimpy.. grew up with them: they'll always represent white sox baseball for me, but I don't know the real story, and I doubt many posters do (or know that they know they do).

therefore, it'd be appreciated if we could reserve the namecalling for those who we're sure deserve it and who we have evidence against... not for those who we hear rumors about.

i heard KW in the airport on his cell phone saying that hawk and wimpy were actually lovers and hawk cheated on him. that's why wimpy finally quit.. the tension in the booth was too much for his broken heart. shut up about it already...

McCuddy
04-27-2006, 02:51 PM
First, my original posst was just a question, to see which Hawk homers would actually admit that their TV God was being classless.

So you were baiting.

However, would you keep working with someone who NEVER would let you look better than him/her?

Subjective. Have you ever worked in broadcasting? There's a defined lead and a defined second.

rdwj
04-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Calling someone a tool is bitching?

If not bitching, it's pretty obvious that you're COMPLETELY biased in your opinion. And besides, you didn't even hear it according to your first post, so you shouldn't really have an opinion one way or the other.

...to see which Hawk homers would actually admit that their TV God was being classless

So, you were expecting an objective opinion even though you have already formed your opinion without actually hearing the exchange?

Face it - you saw an opportinity to wine about a guy you don't like and took it. Seems like all the Hawk bashers are the same. How many posts do you have on heavethehawk.com?

miker
04-27-2006, 03:22 PM
This thead's starting to sound like Hawk and Wimpy in broadcast booth...

Steelrod
04-27-2006, 03:35 PM
This thead's starting to sound like Hawk and Wimpy in broadcast booth...
Point well taken!

32nd&Wallace
04-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Anyone else notice that on the same broadcast Don Drysdale's name came up and Hawk couldn't stop lavishing praise on his former broadcast partner.

0o0o0
04-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Wimpy was a great player? :o:

SpammySosa
04-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Anyone else notice that on the same broadcast Don Drysdale's name came up and Hawk couldn't stop lavishing praise on his former broadcast partner.

That would have happened no matter what because Don Drysdale was awesome(on the field and in the booth). Like I have said on other occasions,my favorite broadcast team was Drysdale and Hawk by far.With the chemistry and friendship they had you couldn't expect Hawk to have anything but kind words for him.
"I wonder where I rank?"

bnlfanmatt
04-27-2006, 07:49 PM
How many posts do you have on heavethehawk.com?

Wow, never been there before just now, and I will never go back.:o:

Lip Man 1
04-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Gang:

One point that seems to be overlooked is this. If Tom Paciorek wasn't prepared enough why did it take nine years for this to become an issue??

If he wasn't doing anything differently wouldn't it have been an issue after only two or three years??

Something just doesn't smell right about the 'not prepared' issue.

Lip

bayzbol44
04-27-2006, 07:56 PM
No posts on heavethehawk.com. I guess the Hawk lovers know all. Hawk is God. May the Sox never let him go. I just love the silence in between pitches. I just love his play by play calling. I am actually going to go out and buy the HE GONE shirt. You guys are right. This guy is no tool. He is one of the best broadcasters of all time.

miker
04-27-2006, 07:59 PM
No posts on heavethehawk.com. I guess the Hawk lovers know all. Hawk is God. May the Sox never let him go. I just love the silence in between pitches. I just love his play by play calling. I am actually going to go out and buy the HE GONE shirt. You guys are right. This guy is no tool. He is one of the best broadcasters of all time.
Sounds like someone can't deal with dissenting opinions...:whiner:

Palehose13
04-27-2006, 08:09 PM

I think Hawk is entertaining and I like the silence sometimes. I feel that he allows me to WATCH the game. It is on TV, ya' know. He doesn't have to describe everything!

The last 3-4 years I have had the MLB extra innings package and have heard almost all of the other announcers out there.

#1. Hawk is not the only "homer" broadcaster out there.
#2. I'd rather have an entertaining Hawk than some of these other guys that put me to sleep.

Daver
04-27-2006, 08:36 PM
This thread is amusing.

Everyone jump on board to defend Ken Harrelson, lousy broadcaster and manipulative,self absorbed ass.

You can also continue to beleive that Pacieorek quit on his own terms instead of being forced out if you so choose.

Just keep in mind, Harrelson, and his tremendous ego, has the ear of Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn, he always has.

Palehose13
04-27-2006, 08:45 PM
This thread is amusing.

Everyone jump on board to defend Ken Harrelson, lousy broadcaster and manipulative,self absorbed ass.

You can also continue to beleive that Pacieorek quit on his own terms instead of being forced out if you so choose.

Just keep in mind, Harrelson, and his tremendous ego, has the ear of Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn, he always has.

I'm aware of all of that, but to honest don't care. I enjoy listening to him when I watch the game. It's not like I have a Hawk shrine or believe everything that he says. :cool:

Brian26
04-27-2006, 08:54 PM
This thread is amusing.

I agree with you that Harrelson is a manipulative, self-absorbed ass.

I don't believe Paciorek quit on his own terms.

I know Harrelson has JR's ear.

The only thing I disagree with you on is the lousy broadcaster comment. Knowing everything above and being able to see his BS from a mile away and watching him for 20 years, I can say I still enjoy his work.

Norberto7
04-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi-larious! :D:

Chisox003
04-27-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm aware of all of that, but to honest don't care. I enjoy listening to him when I watch the game. It's not like I have a Hawk shrine or believe everything that he says. :cool:
Yup.

Except....you don't have a Hawk Shrine? :?:

I thought all of us Hawk fans would have one....

Well I don't care, I DO have one. Candles and all, I **** you not.

:redneck

jehosaphat
04-27-2006, 09:17 PM
#1. Hawk is not the only "homer" broadcaster out there.
#2. I'd rather have an entertaining Hawk than some of these other guys that put me to sleep.

I don't mind homers at all for local teams. When I'm out of town, I sort of enjoy listening to a broadcast team that is pulling for their home team.

Quite frankly, DJ is a nice guy who puts me to sleep. Wimpy was better - he was genuinely funny.

As for the most over-rated, boring broadcaster of all time .... my vote goes to Jack Brickhouse. Maybe I was just too young, but my recollection was he was simply bland. I know he did Sox games as well as Cub games in his career and is considered a Chicago institution, but boy, you talk about being as exciting as watching grass grow, old Jack took the cake.

TornLabrum
04-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Brickhouse bland? Not in his heyheyday. In fact as much credit as I give to Chico Carrasquel who hit the homer that made me a Sox fan, I give as much credit to Brickhouse whose excitement showed in his call of that shot. I even blame Brickhouse for the futility of having the Cubs as a secondary rooting interest for 40 years.

Frontman
04-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Commentators are supposed to root for their team. How much did folks enjoy the venom dripping from Joe Buck's "And the White Sox win the pennant!" call last fall? That's a guy who hated, I mean HATED the fact the Sox won, and you sure knew it by his comments. He did better in the WS, but his "If ever there was a case to be made for Instant Replay in Baseball, AJ's attempt to steal first would be it" BS was perfect example of a non-homer calling a game.

Look, many public figures are complete A-holes away from the field/TV/etc. My personal experience with Frank Thomas made him A-Grade jerk in my book. But, I'll be the first to say it, while I don't like the guy away from the diamond, noone will be more appreciative of his accomplishments, I can't wait for his number to be retired, and the day he goes into Cooperstown, I'll be very much excited to see one of the great, if not the greatest, White Sox player of all time be enshrined.

Now Hawk is a jerk, but to say he stinks as a PBP guy is very off. I'm sure many don't like him, but he's been through thick and thin with this team, and deserves to get excited on a "get on back there....STRETCH!....YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...........YES!!!!" He can yell "He Gone" all he wants. He's our PBP man. And so what he doesn't talk between pitches? WE ARE WATCHING THE GAME ON TV!!

This is one of those cases that folks will hunt for something to talk/complain about. Hawk is a hot-button source for radio personalities complain about. Let's not also forget where "tool" gets used much:

http://670thescore.com/onair/mike_murphy.shtml

Need I say more?

:)

Front

JohnBasedowYoda
04-27-2006, 10:43 PM
"I wonder where I rank?"

You rank tops in my book.

TDog
04-28-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread is amusing.

I laughed when I read this. Not because I thought it was absurd, but because it is so true and so well put.

When I could watch games on television, I found Harrelson annoying.

Paciorek made the game fun. I also know he worked hard to make the game fun.

The other night when I checked the score of the Sox game in Seattle and saw each team had 3 runs, 9 hits and 2 errors, I could hear Pacierek's voice saying, "I was hoping this game would be closer." The only time I find myself thinking of Harrelson is when I'm at WSI.

Maybe if I golfed ...

Steelrod
04-28-2006, 05:45 AM
You must be young. Not much else to listen to in Chitown.
BTW "Stretch" = He's out! Irritating.

bayzbol44
04-28-2006, 06:51 AM
This thread is amusing.

:cheers: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Rocker:

rdwj
04-28-2006, 08:18 AM

Do you have any proof of that at all? If so, I'd like to see it.

You mean that the very popular and marketable television face of the organization has the ear of the bosses???

I'm SHOCKED!

Now, I really liked Wimpy and wish that the he and Hawk were still together, but I understand that if two people that work THAT closely don't get along, changes HAVE to be made.

wdelaney72
04-28-2006, 09:49 AM

Wow... and how does the rest of the world look with your head buried deep in the earth's soil?

I like Hawk. I find him incredibly entertaining, but come on. The next time you hear Hawk speak fondly of wimpy, make sure the recorder is going, cause since DJ came to the booth, I've never heard it.

tick53
04-28-2006, 10:30 AM
I caught that. Hawk went dead silent for a while.

34 Inch Stick
04-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Except....you don't have a Hawk Shrine? :?:

I have a cardboard cutout of Hawk that I take out with me. We are going to a movie tonight. He wants to see Flight 93 but I think I will insist on seeing Stick It. We always have the greatest time together. When I buy popcorn he does not mind if I season it heavily with salt and butter flavored topping. We always sit in the last row on the aisle. I say sit because Hawkcutout cannot really sit. He must stand, which results in the need for me to take the aisle seat. Hawkcutout prefers to go to dramatic movies while I prefer more lighhearted features. They say opposites attract and that is what I believe to be the true strength of our relationship. I love my Hawkcutout.

bayzbol44
04-28-2006, 02:13 PM
I have a cardboard cutout of Hawk that I take out with me. We are going to a movie tonight. He wants to see Flight 93 but I think I will insist on seeing Stick It. We always have the greatest time together. When I buy popcorn he does not mind if I season it heavily with salt and butter flavored topping. We always sit in the last row on the aisle. I say sit because Hawkcutout cannot really sit. He must stand, which results in the need for me to take the aisle seat. Hawkcutout prefers to go to dramatic movies while I prefer more lighhearted features. They say opposites attract and that is what I believe to be the true strength of our relationship. I love my Hawkcutout.

:nuts: :kukoo:

bayzbol44
04-28-2006, 02:16 PM
You must be young. Not much else to listen to in Chitown.
BTW "Stretch" = He's out! Irritating.

Not young. Unless you think the 30s is young. He is just too much of a homer and a bad broadcaster IMO. Yes, there are other homers in other towns, but I have never heard another announcer talk to a baseball ("Stretch") or talk to a player from the booth ("Come On Tadahito").

rdwj
04-28-2006, 02:18 PM
...but I have never heard another announcer talk to a baseball ("Stretch") or talk to a player from the booth ("Come On Tadahito").

That's the best thing about him - he's an original, yet has a throwback flavor.

For those of you "serious" fans that can't handle a little fun with your game - I feel sorry for ya.

bayzbol44
04-28-2006, 02:23 PM
That's the best thing about him - he's an original, yet has a throwback flavor.

For those of you "serious" fans that can't handle a little fun with your game - I feel sorry for ya.

Throwback flavor? What does that mean? You mean the old announcers used to have fun by talking to a baseball??? No, I think I remember them describing the game and actually doing play by play.

Nellie_Fox
04-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Throwback flavor? What does that mean? You mean the old announcers used to have fun by talking to a baseball??? No, I think I remember them describing the game and actually doing play by play.Why do we have to go through this all the time? Some of us enjoy Hawk, some don't. It's an opinion. Opinions aren't right or wrong, and arguing about whose preference is correct is just stupid.

rdwj
04-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Throwback flavor? What does that mean?

He uses all sorts of terms and phrases that are old school. That adds a little flavor to the game. I didn't think it was THAT hard to understand.

Oh, and most of those old announcers that "actually did play by play" didn't have the advantage of the camerawork that exists today. So, play by play was actually necessary.

If find Hawk's commentary pretty refreshing and entertaining. Baseball is supposed to be a slower paced, relaxed game. I don't need every play explained to me - I know what's going on. The color and flavor add to my experience - play by play does not.

Frontman
04-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Not young. Unless you think the 30s is young. He is just too much of a homer and a bad broadcaster IMO. Yes, there are other homers in other towns, but I have never heard another announcer talk to a baseball ("Stretch") or talk to a player from the booth ("Come On Tadahito").

You must not watch too much sports......

Either that, or you think Chris Berman is a great PBP guy......

paciorek1983
04-28-2006, 06:03 PM
If find Hawk's commentary pretty refreshing and entertaining. Baseball is supposed to be a slower paced, relaxed game. I don't need every play explained to me - I know what's going on. The color and flavor add to my experience - play by play does not.

I'm with ya.

As for Wimpy getting "fired" or "quitting", well of course I was upset. If it was because of a lack of preparing that irritated Hawk, I could see that when they would do the "Pick to click". Wimpy would consistently pick Frank Thomas, and Hawk would get somewhat annoyed. So, maybe in the background there somewhere that was a simple sign of Wimpy not being prepared?:?:

slavko
04-28-2006, 08:08 PM
We know that Wimpy hates Hawk. Did anyone claim otherwise in 4 pages of posts? My guess is that someone with the club told Wimpy to change something (maybe preparation; Wimpy was using John Rooney's computer generated stats instead of doing anything on his own), and expected support from Hawk that never came.

oscars gamble
04-28-2006, 10:06 PM

Does Hawkcutout give "Stick It"a thumbs up or thumb down?