PDA

View Full Version : A change in the bench

bigredrudy
04-26-2006, 08:51 PM
I sometimes think the Sox would be better off with a designated runner or a third catcher instead of Gload. Gload is a good contact hitter and a good fielding first baseman but I sometimes wonder aout his overall value to the present team. Gload has played very little and I don't see how much he will play in the future barring injury. The Sox are not a very fast team and it would be nice to have a guy whose sole duty was only to pinch run like Herb Washington used to do with the Oakland A's. There are guys around who would be happy just to be in the big leagues and could do this-like Ruddy Yan for example or like Willie Blomquist whose steal beat us the other night. In this way Ozuna, Cintron and Macoviak would get more playing time, and Ozzie would not have to worry about getting Gload playing time. And if not that how about a third catcher whose sole duty was to play defense.At times Ozzie is afraid to make moves because he only has two catchers. Molina might fill the bill. I've really seen many games decided by that steal in the late innings. Who could forget Dave Roberts steal.What about Ozuna? he is only a good runner. I have somebody faster in mind.

He gone
04-26-2006, 08:54 PM
We had a designated runner, Willie Harris :D:

JB98
04-26-2006, 08:58 PM
I sometimes think the Sox would be better off with a designated runner or a third catcher instead of Gload. Gload is a good contact hitter and a good fielding first baseman but I sometimes wonder aout his overall value to the present team. Gload has played very little and I don't see how much he will play in the future barring injury. The Sox are not a very fast team and it would be nice to have a guy whose sole duty was only to pinch run like Herb Washington used to do with the Oakland A's. There are guys around who would be happy just to be in the big leagues and could do this-like Ruddy Yan for example or like Willie Blomquist whose steal beat us the other night. In this way Ozuna, Cintron and Macoviak would get more playing time, and Ozzie would not have to worry about getting Gload playing time. And if not that how about a third catcher whose sole duty was to play defense.At times Ozzie is afraid to make moves because he only has two catchers. Molina might fill the bill. I've really seen many games decided by that steal in the late innings. Who could forget Dave Roberts steal.What about Ozuna? he is only a good runner. I have somebody faster in mind.

Like who? Now that Cintron is here to be the fifth infielder, Pablo is the guy for pinch-running situations. I don't see this as a hole on the team.

We don't need a third catcher. AJ catches a ton of innings, more than most MLB catchers. As it stands now, Widger only plays once a week. When the hell are we going to play a third guy?

I'm happy with our bench as it stands. Let's not forget Thome is 35 years old. He might have some nagging injuries or need a break as the season progresses. Gload will help us before the year is over.

JB98
04-26-2006, 09:01 PM
One more comment: You said, "Who can forget about Dave Roberts steal?" Well, I haven't forgotten about a key steal by Ozuna in last year's ALCS. I seem to remember AJ reaching on a dropped third strike in Game 2. Pablo entered, stole second and scored on a double by Crede. Just as important as Roberts steal, no?

MarySwiss
04-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Of course, everybody is entitled to his or her opinion. But seems to me that when you have a team that is playing basically lights-out baseball, you might want to check the criticism at the door until the wheels come off--if they ever do, and I wouldn't care to bet on it with this bunch. :smile:

Bobbo35
04-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Ozuna brings a good amount of speed to the bench, no need for anyone else.

ondafarm
04-26-2006, 09:07 PM
With Gload being out of options, if you designate him for reassignment you are putting him on waivers and vulnerable to everybody. He's not hurting anything right now and he may be a needed replacemnt during the season.

If it ain't broke, . . .

palehozenychicty
04-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Of course, everybody is entitled to his or her opinion. But seems to me that when you have a team that is playing basically lights-out baseball, you might want to check the criticism at the door until the wheels come off--if they ever do, and I wouldn't care to bet on it with this bunch. :smile:

Thank you. Cintron and Bulldog (mackowiak) would START on many teams.

IlliniSox4Life
04-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Ozuna might be as fast as Pods is. I think Pods has better instincts, but Ozuna is a bullet. There just aren't really enough spots as it is. Gload is only playing so few innings because he is backing up two of the best players in MLB right now. If one of them cools off, he'll get some time.

IlliniSox4Life
04-26-2006, 10:13 PM
whoops, double post

johnny bench
04-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the Herb Washington reference :)

chisoxfanatic
04-26-2006, 10:20 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This team is fine the way it is. A team even better than last year's should scare the crap out of a lot of teams this year.

ChiSox65
04-26-2006, 10:25 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4184&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1144811379 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4184&d=1144811379)

The wife must love me to have a Sox wedding cake!:D:

After seeing this picture............Your wife must be blind!

getonbckthr
04-27-2006, 12:35 AM
No 3rd catcher or designated runner but how about another right handed arm in the pen? We have 3 lefties and 2 righties, no I dont count Jenks cause he's the closer.

JB98
04-27-2006, 12:37 AM
No 3rd catcher or designated runner but how about another right handed arm in the pen? We have 3 lefties and 2 righties, no I dont count Jenks cause he's the closer.

I could go along with that. The bullpen is really the only concern we have at this stage.

soxinem1
04-27-2006, 08:04 AM

I have no problems as it is. None of them has thrown a whole lot, and as a group they complement each other well.

Bobbo35
04-27-2006, 08:31 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4184&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1144811379 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4184&d=1144811379)

The wife must love me to have a Sox wedding cake!:D:

After seeing this picture............Your wife must be blind!

That's funny!:D:

bigredrudy
04-27-2006, 11:02 AM
I think the concerns about possible injuries are legitimate. But there was an example in last night's game illustrating what I mean. The Sox were trailing 4 to 1 in the 7th with a man on second and 2 out. The M's brought in Soriano to face Widger. Ozzie let Widger hit even though Pierzynski was on the bench along with several lefthanded hitters. Ozzie does not want that second catcher in the game unless there is no alternative. If the Sox had a third catcher I bet Pierzynski would have hit for Widger. My idea of a third catcher would be someone who would hardly ever play. He would just be there for emergency situations. I am sure we will also have occasions where we want to run for Pierzynski but can't because of having only two catchers. I think Molina would probably fill the bill as that third catcher. I think the Sox could do this because there other bench players are so versatile.

Chicken Dinner
04-27-2006, 11:22 AM
We had a designated runner, Willie Harris :D:

Hey He Gone.......He Gone!!!!

TomBradley72
04-27-2006, 11:41 AM
We need a RH hitting OF (ideally with some speed) before we need a 3rd catcher....when it comes to resting Pods against a LH pitcher...all we have is Ozuna. With Machowiak (+ Sweeney and Owens at AAA)...all of our outfield depth is LH. But I don't mind having Gload around in case Paulie or Thome get injured...better than having Todd Walker as the best back 1B in your entire organization.

DaleJRFan
04-27-2006, 01:01 PM
um... this thread sucks. So you want to get rid of Gload because he can't catch and isn't a base stealing threat? :?:

Gload is a professional hitter. He is a great defensive 1B, runs well, makes solid contact and has pop in the bat... We've been over this before. Gload is the 25th man. So...

Gload > Timo
Gload > LTP
Cintron > Wee Willie
Mackowiak > Blum

Cintron, Mackowiak, Gload would be starters on a number of MLB teams. The 06 bench is by far the best its been in years and is probably the best in baseball. Why complain? It's not Ross Gload's fault that he plays behind two of the best firstbasemen in the Majors. It's a nice problem to have. :cool:

If we need an emergency catcher, then call up Jim Bowden, maybe he'll send over Matt LeCroy. :rolleyes:

maurice
04-27-2006, 01:23 PM
It's Ozzie's call. 25th man is no biggie. A righthanded hitting OF with speed would be nice, but Gload is fine too.

Cintron, Mackowiak, Gload would be starters on a number of MLB teams.

All three of them could start for the Cubs, but I can't think of any other teams who would start Gload.
Your point stands. It's a very good bench and better than last year's bench.

cws05champ
04-27-2006, 01:30 PM
You don't think the Cubs would pick up Gload off the waiver wire if we were send him down? The cubs would love to have Gload for the next 8 weeks if they could have him.

Hey, Gload for Pie!!! How about that?