PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 5-1

Lip Man 1
04-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Anniversary date is Monday.

MAY 1, 1951

It was the start of two big league careers....one eventually led to the Hall of Fame, the other should have been a Hall of Fame career but isn't as of yet.

Yankees at White Sox

The start of something big as the 'go-go' era and 'golden age' of White Sox baseball is born.

On this day with Joe DiMaggio out of the lineup, Yankee manager Casey Stengel does something he doesn't like to do. Stengel starts a rookie but it was a rookie who showed 'some' potential.

Mickey Mantle is in the lineup today facing Sox starter Bob Cain. On the other side of the field, Frank Lane's newest acquisition makes his White Sox debut. Lane in a New York hotel room, brokered a three team deal a few days earlier with the Indians and Athletics. The seven player deal netted the White Sox one Saturnino Orestes Armas (Arrieta) Minoso.

The 'Cuban Comet' first caught Lane's attention after manager Paul Richards talked about him when both were in the Pacific Coast League.

Minnie was the White Sox first dark skinned player and his smile and crazy humor charmed everyone. There were no racial incidents because of Minnie's personality.

As far as the game itself, Minnie blasted a Vic Raschi pitch in his first Sox at bat into the center field bullpen 415 feet away giving the Pale Hose a 2-0 lead.

It was 5-2 Yanks in the 6th when Mantle uncorked the first of his 536 home runs driving a Randy Gumpert offering into the right field stands behind the Yankee bullpen.

New York would win the game that night 8-3 but behind Minoso, Nellie Fox, Jim Busby and later Luis Aparicio and Jim Landis the 'go-go' White Sox were born. A few weeks later the Sox would start a 14 game winning streak, second longest in franchise history and it would end with a 'winning' season in 1951. That was the first of 17 consecutive 'winning' seasons, the 3rd longest streak in MLB history. The 'golden age' of Sox baseball had started.

Lip

my5thbench
04-27-2006, 01:41 PM
wow Lip great story....I was 4 months old...no wonder I had such a happy childhood....17 years without being "losers"