PDA

View Full Version : I need a ruling here.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-26-2006, 05:49 PM
We were talking about this situation at work; with me being a AL fan I couldn't give a good answer.

There's 2 outs, bottom of the 7th (let's say), man at 1st, and the pitcher spot is due to bat. A player is announced to pinch hit for the pitcher. While he's at the plate the runner at 1st is picked off, inning over. So when the bottom of the 8th comes around can the pinch hitter go back to the plate?

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2006, 05:55 PM
We were talking about this situation at work; with me being a AL fan I couldn't give a good answer.

There's 2 outs, bottom of the 7th (let's say), man at 1st, and the pitcher spot is due to bat. A player is announced to pinch hit for the pitcher. While he's at the plate the runner at 1st is picked off, inning over. So when the bottom of the 8th comes around can the pinch hitter go back to the plate?Certainly. As long as he plays in the field through the end of the top of the 8th inning.

lumpyspun
04-26-2006, 05:55 PM

There's 2 outs, bottom of the 7th (let's say), man at 1st, and the pitcher spot is due to bat. A player is announced to pinch hit for the pitcher. While he's at the plate the runner at 1st is picked off, inning over. So when the bottom of the 8th comes around can the pinch hitter go back to the plate?

Ha, I can't really contribute to the thread other than saying that is a pretty good question. If I had to make a guess, I would say that the pinch hitter can't hit again, unless he stayed in the field for the top of the 8th (obviously at a position other than pitcher)...

JohnBasedowYoda
04-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Certainly. As long as he plays in the field through the end of the top of the 8th inning.

That's what I was saying. Then where does the pitcher spot bat again?

Chicken Dinner
04-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Sounds like a Tony La Russa double switch.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2006, 06:13 PM
That's what I was saying. Then where does the pitcher spot bat again?There is no "pitcher spot". Any player in the lineup can play any position at any time, but they have to bat in turn. The pinch-hitter is substituted for the pitcher. Once the last out in their turn at bat is made, they take the field and someone has to pitch. Unless someone already in the lineup pitches, they have to bring in another player to do so, substituting him for someone already in the lineup. It can be at any spot in the lineup. That player then bats whenever that turn comes up again.

Edit: This is the essence of the double switch. If they don't want the pitcher leading off the next inning, they put him in for some other player in the lineup and the pinch-hitter takes the field.

HotelWhiteSox
04-26-2006, 07:11 PM
He can if there is a double switch, so the pinch hitter would replace someone in the field, and the pitcher would bat in place of the guy who just got replaced in the field, so ideally, it would be the #8 hitter or whoever made the last out.

Either that or the pitcher replaces the pinch hitter and then the answer is no

lloyder
04-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Since the pinch hitter doesn't register an official at-bat due to the runner getting picked, shouldn't they still be available to lead off the next inning even if they don't play the field?

MisterB
04-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Since the pinch hitter doesn't register an official at-bat due to the runner getting picked, shouldn't they still be available to lead off the next inning even if they don't play the field?

It doesn't matter if he got an at-bat or not, he replaced the pitcher once he was announced as a pinch hitter. That pitcher is no longer in the game.

Ol' No. 2
04-26-2006, 09:54 PM
It doesn't matter if he got an at-bat or not, he replaced the pitcher once he was announced as a pinch hitter. That pitcher is no longer in the game.Right you are. This is why you see managers wait until after a pinch hitter is announced before making the move to the bullpen. Once he's announced, they can pinch-hit for the pinch-hitter, but then the first pinch-hitter is out of the game.

Nellie_Fox
04-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Since the pinch hitter doesn't register an official at-bat due to the runner getting picked, shouldn't they still be available to lead off the next inning even if they don't play the field?The only way they could not play the field is if someone else (the new pitcher) is put in in place of them, so they are then out of the game. The pinch hitter was substituting for the pitcher, who is out of the game as soon as the pinch hitter is announced. The new pitcher, as soon as he's announced, is in for the pinch hitter, who is now out of the game and unavailable for use for the rest of the game.

mcg
04-26-2006, 10:19 PM
And this is why the NL should go ahead and adopt the DH. :D: