PDA

View Full Version : Paulie's numbers

gobears1987
04-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Paulie's BA is up this year. Paulie traditionally has had poor Aprils, yet this month has been one of the best in his career. While I expect his BA to drop some, I still think his BA could be significantly higher this year. The reason why is Jim Thome. PK and Thome offer protection to eachother in this lineup. I expect both to have good years. They won't be alone though. Jermaine Dye will benefit with more RBI opportunities and the fact that a pitcher might let his guard down after going through PK and Thome.

voodoochile
04-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Paulie's BA is up this year. Paulie traditionally has had poor Aprils, yet this month has been one of the best in his career. While I expect his BA to drop some, I still think his BA could be significantly higher this year. The reason why is Jim Thome. PK and Thome offer protection to eachother in this lineup. I expect both to have good years. They won't be alone though. Jermaine Dye will benefit with more RBI opportunities and the fact that a pitcher might let his guard down after going through PK and Thome.

All of them are going to greatly benefit from having the others batting around them not to mention what it is going to do for Iguchi's average and hence up the line to Pods.

No place to put PK will be a fairly regular phenommenon, IMO, or given the choice between pitching to PK with 2 on or Dye with the bases packed is going to give a LOT of managers a headache.

If the bottom 4 guys continue to reach base and hit for power, the Sox are destined for a fantastic season...

lumpyspun
04-26-2006, 02:11 PM
All of them are going to greatly benefit from having the others batting around them not to mention what it is going to do for Iguchi's average and hence up the line to Pods.

No place to put PK will be a fairly regular phenommenon, IMO, or given the choice between pitching to PK with 2 on or Dye with the bases packed is going to give a LOT of managers a headache.

If the bottom 4 guys continue to reach base and hit for power, the Sox are destined for a fantastic season...

It's like a slippery slope, but in a good way!

scottjanssens
04-26-2006, 02:47 PM
To really marvel at Paulie's numbers, his OBP is .414 and his OPS is a whopping 1.093.

maurice
04-26-2006, 03:05 PM
It's too early to say. Current rate stats mean little to nothing in terms of future performance. The Sox currently have 8 players hitting .297 or better. Everybody else is hitting .230 or worse. Almost all of them will finish between .297 and .230. Plus, Konerko is a very streaky hitter. Since the roof at the Cell was reconfigured, he's finished each year around .280 AVE, .900 OPS.

AZChiSoxFan
04-26-2006, 04:12 PM
It's too early to say. Current rate stats mean little to nothing in terms of future performance. The Sox currently have 8 players hitting .297 or better. Everybody else is hitting .230 or worse. Almost all of them will finish between .297 and .230. Plus, Konerko is a very streaky hitter. Since the roof at the Cell was reconfigured, he's finished each year around .280 AVE, .900 OPS.

Maurice, I totally respect your knowledge of the game but I find the above post amusing. With PK off to a nice start, your comment is that he'll finish where he usually does (very true). However, last year when there was much discussion on this site regarding his slow start, I don't recall you or any of the other PK haters responding with "he'll finish where he usually does."

Chicken Dinner
04-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Maurice, I totally respect your knowledge of the game but I find the above post amusing. With PK off to a nice start, your comment is that he'll finish where he usually does (very true). However, last year when there was much discussion on this site regarding his slow start, I don't recall you or any of the other PK haters responding with "he'll finish where he usually does."

I'm sure he'll have the same number of pop outs and GIDP's.

BeviBall!
04-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Having Thome and Dye surround him is quite different than Crazy and AJ. No wonder he resigned for less money.

PicktoCLick72
04-26-2006, 04:22 PM
yes, it is nice without all the PK haters quieted down.

gobears1987
04-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Maurice, I totally respect your knowledge of the game but I find the above post amusing. With PK off to a nice start, your comment is that he'll finish where he usually does (very true). "
If this were with last year's team, I'd agree that he'd finish where he has in the past. My point is with Dye and Thome offeirng protection, his numbers will increase (as will Dye's and Thome's).

drftnaway
04-26-2006, 04:42 PM

I'm glad someone else remembers how really down many members here were on PK.

Evman5
04-26-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm sure he'll have the same number of pop outs and GIDP's.

I think you mean GIDPK's! :cool:

IlliniSox4Life
04-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Just from some quick calculations, after 20 games this year, we are averaging 6.15 runs a game. After 20 last year, it was 4.6 runs a game (and 4.57 after the season). Thats over a run and a half difference. The only major difference in the lineup is Jim Thome (Swapping Aaron and Anderson would have a negative effect if anything). Obviously, I think you can chalk some of it up to just having hot hitters this year and to a not huge sample size. A run and a half a game over 20 games though is a big enough difference to mean there is some big effect on the lineup, and that has to be attributed to Thome.

maurice
04-26-2006, 05:19 PM
With PK off to a nice start, your comment is that he'll finish where he usually does (very true). However, last year when there was much discussion on this site regarding his slow start, I don't recall you or any of the other PK haters responding with "he'll finish where he usually does."

Thankfully, West blessed us with a handy "search" function.

Konerko['s] .196 AVE is not going to cut it. Despite 9 HR, his production with RiSP has been pathetic. Expect him to catch fire for a month before cooling off again, and finishing up around his career averages.

Linky (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=694182&postcount=1)

What do I win?
:cool:

- - -

Edit: My favorite responses to this post include claims that Cotts sucks and the following post from a person who shall remain unnamed:
Nice work Maurice, Thanks!!

AnkleSox
04-26-2006, 05:22 PM
During the end of the season and the playoffs, I think I noticed Paulie hitting more to the opposite field and focusing less on pulling the ball (yes I know his big bombs were generally to left field, but the pitcher/situation may have called more for it.) I think if he continues this type of situational hitting, his HR numbers may drop a bit but he could hit near or above .300 for the season.

I could be wrong.

maurice
04-26-2006, 05:29 PM
During the end of the season and the playoffs, I think I noticed Paulie hitting more to the opposite field and focusing less on pulling the ball (yes I know his big bombs were generally to left field, but the pitcher/situation may have called more for it.) I think if he continues this type of situational hitting, his HR numbers may drop a bit but he could hit near or above .300 for the season. I could be wrong.

I think you're right.

SoxFan76
04-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Here's my reasoning (or lack thereof):

He historically has slow starts, but still manages ~.280 with 30-40 homers. With this hot start and assuming he continues his good hitting throughout the rest of the season like he historically has, his numbers can only IMPROVE from last year, no?

Do I smell .300 40 110?

Joeycrizzle
04-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Paulie has Thome right behind him in the lineup, so he is getting good pitches to hit. He and Thome are gonna put up insane numbers this year. Probably a home run race between the two.

maurice
04-26-2006, 05:44 PM
It's not that clear cut. Konerko's cold months can be pretty random. For example, Konerko's worst OPS month in 2005 was May, but in 2004 it was August, in 2003 it was June, and in 2002 it was July. Also, in 2004 and 2002 he had an April OPS of > .900.

Dadawg_77
04-26-2006, 05:55 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playerid=242&position=1B&page=0&type=full

This is graphical repsentation of Konerko career. So far this year appears to be an outliner. Also if Hawk is right maybe Konerko is benefiting from that. However the greatest impact on his numbers so far is K% is way down and his BABIP is up a tad bit. If the K% is a true development and not a fluke, Paul could be heading into a monster year. I would expect BABIP to stay around league average to slightly below league average because of Pauly's speed. BABIP seems to be up because he is hitting lesser % of ground balls.

IlliniSox4Life
04-26-2006, 06:01 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playerid=242&position=1B&page=0&type=full

This is graphical repsentation of Konerko career. So far this year appears to be an outliner. Also if Hawk is right maybe Konerko is benefiting from that. However the greatest impact on his numbers so far is K% is way down and his BABIP is up a tad bit. If the K% is a true development and not a fluke, Paul could be heading into a monster year. I would expect BABIP to stay around league average to slightly below league average because of Pauly's speed. BABIP seems to be up because he is hitting lesser % of ground balls.

Homefish?

Dadawg_77
04-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Homefish?

Not sure what was dark cloud about that. Konerko so far is above his career averages most things mostly because he is striking out less and hitting less ground balls. Those are good things. Now asking if they will continue isn't being a dark cloud but assuming they will is tad bit pollyanish(sp?, hell I am not sure it even a word) unless you have a soild reason to believe that.

IlliniSox4Life
04-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Not sure what was dark cloud about that. Konerko so far is above his career averages most things mostly because he is striking out less and hitting less ground balls. Those are good things. Now asking if they will continue isn't being a dark cloud but assuming they will is tad bit pollyanish(sp?, hell I am not sure it even a word) unless you have a soild reason to believe that.
It was in reference to the graph.

Edit: Also, it was a joke. Probably a poor one at that. I just laugh everytime I see a graph on here.

Dadawg_77
04-26-2006, 06:27 PM
It was in reference to the graph.

Edit: Also, it was a joke. Probably a poor one at that. I just laugh everytime I see a graph on here.
Oh, Ok. I know it isn't a graph of SoxEd quality but it does say good thing about Konerko.

edit: Didn't realize I didn't type the nt

SoxEd
04-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Oh, Ok. I know it is a graph of SoxEd quality but it does say good thing about Konerko.
Whaddya mean?
I'm the finest 'graphologist' on here!

(For a statement this unrealistic, no teal is required, surely?)