PDA

View Full Version : The Savvy of Ozzie Guillen

seventyseven
04-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Boone Logan comes in last night, and is all over the place. This, of course, is in stark contrast to Vazquez, who was awesome. It would have been easy to take out Logan after two hitters. It would have been easier to take him out after the 7th. But Guillen not only leaves him in, he lets him finish the game, and earn a save.

This is why we have the best manager in baseball. Logan's confidence was teetering on disaster, and now he can look back at last night's outing as a confidence builder and a save. He toughed it out because his manager let him tough it out.

I'll bet you Logan rewards Guillen later this season with a dominant performance out of the pen when Cotts and Thornton are unavailable.

SOecks
04-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I was glad he left him in to finish out the game. He needs more innings and I'd like to see what we really have in him sooner than later.

batmanZoSo
04-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Boone Logan comes in last night, and is all over the place. This, of course, is in stark contrast to Vazquez, who was awesome. It would have been easy to take out Logan after two hitters. It would have been easier to take him out after the 7th. But Guillen not only leaves him in, he lets him finish the game, and earn a save.

This is why we have the best manager in baseball. Logan's confidence was teetering on disaster, and now he can look back at last night's outing as a confidence builder and a save. He toughed it out because his manager let him tough it out.

I'll bet you Logan rewards Guillen later this season with a dominant performance out of the pen when Cotts and Thornton are unavailable.

He's got savvy up the ass, but any manager would've left Logan in with an 11-0 lead. It was a big outing for Logan personally, though. He should definitely benefit from sticking it out and getting it done with minimal damage. He really needed the work as well as whatever confidence he might have gained.

Unregistered
04-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I liked when Ozzie went to the mound after Boone walked in the second run and told him to put the ****ing ball over the ****ing plate or he was going to send his ****ing ass to Birmingham. He really seemed to turn it around after that. :cool:

Chip Z'nuff
04-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Why did he earn a save????????

rdwj
04-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Why did he earn a save????????

3 innings of work to end the game - automatic save.

Doesn't matter what the score is

Unregistered
04-26-2006, 12:09 PM

Doesn't matter what the score isAnd technically, he did face enough batters to where they could've tied or won the game if they all reached home.

scottjanssens
04-26-2006, 12:31 PM
But Guillen not only leaves him in, he lets him finish the game, and earn a save.

Yes, thus proving Guillen master of the obvious. Ozzie had a monster lead and had used three relievers the previous night.

Did anyone else notice Logan's Marte-like performance? Two runs allowed, both charged to the prvious pitcher.

Madvora
04-26-2006, 12:44 PM

Unbelieveable. I've never heard of that before.

batmanZoSo
04-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Unbelieveable. I've never heard of that before.

I can't believe so many people haven't. I guess we all pick up our own set of obscure rules along the way.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Well, Ozzie is selfish. If he'd let everyone pitch, instead of letting our pitching staff eat all the innings, maybe we'd be in first place.

Wait....:cool:

Meixner007
04-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Yeah, it really was a no brainer to leave him out there with an 11 run lead. I hope he's not the only manager that would do that. If so I better dust of my resume.

D. TODD
04-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Managing with what would amount to the slaughter rule in lower levels of baseball makes it easy to leave Login in. Especially after the bullpen was used in the extra inning affair the night before. Boone has shown very little to this point. I hope he settels in and becomes productive or Oz will make another easy decision and have him pack his bags pretty soon.

voodoochile
04-26-2006, 01:40 PM
I saw the title of this thread and last night's Logan performance immediately came to mind. I admit I was expecting some smart ass thread about his swearing or something and was pleasently surprised when I opend the thread.

I completely agree and no, I don't think every manager would have done the same thing. Logan is not a typical 3-inning pitcher and isn't on the team for that purpose. Last night he got a chance to work through some jams, face batters from both sides of the plate and get in some desperately needed work.

That will probably pay dividends down the road. Like it or not, Logan is a rookie and not your typical rookie at that, jumping from A ball to the majors with one solid Spring Training performance. He's bound to be nervous now that the games actually count. Now is the time to find out if he can be relied on late in the season and Ozzie chose the perfect place to find that out.

hawkjt
04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
IF logan can throw strikes he will be fine. When he got it in there no one really squared him up.

He found his groove and settled in nicely. I though Oz would go with thornton in the 9th but now he is available tonite as well as Cotts. Two leftys ,wow.

Javy is better than I expected. I know he is getting big bucks(some from Az) but so do a lot of pitchers that do not produce(see yankees).

Javy is reaching rocking chair status along with burls and Jose.

When they are on the mound just sit back in the rocker and relax.

BeviBall!
04-26-2006, 03:28 PM
And technically, he did face enough batters to where they could've tied or won the game if they all reached home.

That doesn't matter in terms of a save... it would be if a new pitcher came in with the tying runner on deck. In terms of that stat just being scary... you got me!

But, I have also seen it where a pitcher threw the final 3 innings and wasn't granted a save because he gave up at least 1 run in each of those innings (want to say it was a Rockies pitcher in the late-90s). It's up to the official scorer in that situation to deem whether or not the pitcher was "effective" in closing out the game.

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-26-2006, 07:00 PM

Umm, I think your team has to win as well. :cool:

Fuller_Schettman
04-26-2006, 07:13 PM
not only win, but keep the lead.

1951Campbell
04-26-2006, 07:22 PM
He's got savvy up the ass, but any manager would've left Logan in with an 11-0 lead.

That's what I was thinking. Calling this "savvy" is just, well, blowing smoke up Ozzie's ass. Ozzie's good at what he does; no need to go overboard.