PDA

View Full Version : Look Around, Folks

ondafarm
04-26-2006, 10:55 AM
The White Sox are currently 14-6 tied with Houston for the best record in major league baseball. The hated Yomiuri Giants are 16-4-2 (W-L-D) but that always happens in their designated years to win. The White Sox currently sport the most potent offense in the AL, scoring 123 runs this season (Indians second at 120) and have allowed the third fewest runs against, 80.

Cool Standings currently has the White Sox as 96.9% likely to make the playoffs, which is the highest likelihood for any team in baseball.

I say look around, people. This is one awesome team.

chisoxfanatic
04-26-2006, 11:01 AM
This is definitely the greatest time in the history of this franchise to be a fan! I feel fortunate to be part of this!

Thank you all for making it even more enjoyable by making WSI such a fun place to be!

soxfan13
04-26-2006, 11:08 AM
This is definitely the greatest time in the history of this franchise to be a fan! I feel fortunate to be part of this!

Thank you all for making it even more enjoyable by making WSI such a fun place to be!

I luuvv funplaces!!!

Baby Fisk
04-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Years from now, kids will be sick of hearing us carry on endlessly about the Golden Age of the White Sox. :cool:

Minimum eight-peat.

Palehose13
04-26-2006, 11:09 AM
The White Sox are currently 14-6 tied with Houston for the best record in major league baseball. The hated Yomiuri Giants are 16-4-2 (W-L-D) but that always happens in their designated years to win. The White Sox currently sport the most potent offense in the AL, scoring 123 runs this season (Indians second at 120) and have allowed the third fewest runs against, 80.

Cool Standings currently has the White Sox as 96.9% likely to make the playoffs, which is the highest likelihood for any team in baseball.

Um...I hope you didn't just come to this realization. Some of us knew since January 2005. :wink:

chisoxfanatic
04-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Years from now, kids will be sick of hearing us carry on endlessly about the Golden Age of the White Sox. :cool:

Minimum eight-peat.

I will hold you to your duty of spreading The Word all around Hamilton, Ontario! :cool:

batmanZoSo
04-26-2006, 11:14 AM

It's funny how the pennant winners are sporting the best records in the game.

I think when all is said and done we'll be number 1 in runs against as well. I mean how could any team end up giving up less runs than us over the whole season if the rotation remains as is?

batmanZoSo
04-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Um...I hope you didn't just come to this realization. Some of us knew since January 2005. :wink:

Nobody thought we were World Series bound at that time. Nobody that I know of. But I do know this team is significantly better than that one in talent on top of the confidence of having a WS under their belts.

Palehose13
04-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Nobody thought we were World Series bound at that time. Nobody that I know of. But I do know this team is significantly better than that one in talent on top of the confidence of having a WS under their belts.

It can be looked up, but I thought that the Sox were at least going to the ALCS last year. After KW's acquisitions in the 2004 offseason, I bought season tickets in January 2005 because I wanted playoff tickets. So, being that I live 90 miles away from the ballpark, I'd say I was confident that they were going to be pretty damn good last year.

In regards to this years team...yes it is better than last years on paper and I think almost everyone knew that going into spring training. But then again, there were some of those dark clouds earlier in the season.

skottyj242
04-26-2006, 11:29 AM
I can't wait to tell my kids: "I remember in 2005, that's when I had to drive to the ballpark, I didn't have any of these fancy tela-port machines. I actually had to get in and navigate my own way, sometimes that took upwards of twenty to thirty minutes. Man those were the times."

Cellview22
04-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Haha

This is an amazing time to be a Sox fan. I can't wait to tell my grandkids I witnessed the first championship since 1917 and have my grandkid say "you mean 25 championships ago?". :D:

Palehose13
04-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Haha

This is an amazing time to be a Sox fan. I can't wait to tell my grandkids I witnessed the first championship since 1917 and have my grandkid say "you mean 25 championships ago?". :D:

That is a nice thought. Hopefully we would have passed up the Yankees by then. They're due for a few bad decades. :D:

MarySwiss
Wrong, batman. In January, I asked a friend who was going to Tahoe to bet $100 on them to win the Series. And from a previous thread, I remember at least one or two others who also bet them that early.

Rooney4Prez56
Haha

Well said.

rwcescato
04-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Haha

Before we all get too excited it is a good team having a good April. It is a long season. This team is built on ptiching and defense, remember that. But it does look like Crede is about to have his best season. Last year a lot of people wanted Crede and Contreras gone. I am glad they are both still here. I love Buerhle's comments about 2 or more 20 game winners and how he wants to be the guy with 3 or more World Series Championship rings at the end of his career. It sure does feel good once you have the taste in your system.
GO SOX!!!!:supernana:
Rich

batmanZoSo
04-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Wrong, batman. In January, I asked a friend who was going to Tahoe to bet $100 on them to win the Series. And from a previous thread, I remember at least one or two others who also bet them that early.

That doesn't prove anything, a lot of people bet on the Sox. Who else are you gonna bet on to win the World Series? The question is--under oath!--did you honestly, truly believe we were the best team in the AL in January? :wink:

ondafarm
04-26-2006, 12:00 PM
In January 2005, I thought the White Sox were a playoff caliber team. I argued incessantly with the Baseball Savant over it.

But as he reminded me this January, anybody can win a championship once. I told him then, I thought we had a very solid team for a second run, and then some.

Exactly how good this team is surprises me.

maurice
04-26-2006, 12:01 PM
It can be looked up, but I thought that the Sox were at least going to the ALCS last year. After KW's acquisitions in the 2004 offseason, I bought season tickets in January 2005 because I wanted playoff tickets.

KW's moves were roundly criticized by the media but received extremely favorable reviews here. At Soxfest, KW expressed surprise that Sox fans were complimenting him instead of calling for his head, especially after the dressing down he received the previous year. (IIRC, he specifically wondered when Stef was gonna pop up and kick his ass again.) The team proved us right. The few dissenters were the BB-worshiping variety, and they slowly disappeared as the season wore on.

I know we're all used to it by now, but it's truly amazing how often the opinions expressed in the media are the exact opposite of the opinions held by core Sox fans.

chisoxfanatic
04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I know we're all used to it by now, but it's truly amazing how often the opinions expressed in the media are the exact opposite of the opinions held by core Sox fans.

What do you expect? The media doesn't have a feel for the pulse of Sox fans. They're too busy following the minor leagues on the Northside!

spiffie
04-26-2006, 12:16 PM
That doesn't prove anything, a lot of people bet on the Sox. Who else are you gonna bet on to win the World Series? The question is--under oath!--did you honestly, truly believe we were the best team in the AL in January? :wink:
Honestly I didn't think in Winter 2005 that we were the best team in the AL. I thought we were the second best, and I predicted us on another msg board to go to the ALCS but to lose to Boston. I loved the moves we made but I just could not envision us actually winning it all. I was of course wrong, and have never been happier to be incorrect in all my life.

Baby Fisk
04-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Honestly I didn't think in Winter 2005 that we were the best team in the AL. I thought we were the second best, and I predicted us on another msg board to go to the ALCS but to lose to Boston. I loved the moves we made but I just could not envision us actually winning it all. I was of course wrong, and have never been happier to be incorrect in all my life.
My turning point, and those of some others here, happened after a certain game winning home run in July 2005... linky (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54461&highlight=joseph)

Reading that thread today, wow, those were some heady, optimistic days! :bandance:

MarySwiss
04-26-2006, 12:37 PM

Under oath, honestly and truly, I not only believed we were the best team in the AL, I believed--no, I knew!--we would win the World Series. I had never made a $100 bet on anything prior (pardon the expresssion) to this, and I never once wavered in my absolute certainty that we were going to win it all, and that includes the time period during which Cleveland made their little push. I liked all the moves KW had made--getting Jose, Freddy, El Duque, Pods, and AJ--and I can't explain any better than to say I just KNEW IT!

Now about this year, I have another $150 out on them and I'm confident they will take it all again, but I'm not as flat-out, 100% certain as I was last year. I think that's because the urgency's gone. However, that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying this season so far!

areilly
04-26-2006, 12:44 PM
On Opening Day, I thought our guys had a good chance of putting up a good fight but ultimately losing the division to Minnesota.

Glad I was wrong.

RealMenWearBlack
04-26-2006, 01:08 PM

Although I really do have a lot of confidence in our team, I wouldn't say this early in the year that we have a 96.9% chance of making the playoffs.

EDIT: That said, I still would bet on our team repeating. I wasn't trying to be a dark cloud, just thought that 96.9% is a bit high.

Fuller_Schettman
04-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Under oath, honestly and truly, I not only believed we were the best team in the AL, I believed--no, I knew!--we would win the World Series. I had never made a $100 bet on anything prior (pardon the expresssion) to this, and I never once wavered in my absolute certainty that we were going to win it all, and that includes the time period during which Cleveland made their little push. I liked all the moves KW had made--getting Jose, Freddy, El Duque, Pods, and AJ--and I can't explain any better than to say I just KNEW IT!

I'm right there with you. I don't get why people say things like "Nobody saw it coming!"

Boolpoopy, I say! Some of us actually did as early as spring training. So there! :cool:

spiffie
04-26-2006, 01:16 PM
My turning point, and those of some others here, happened after a certain game winning home run in July 2005... linky (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54461&highlight=joseph)

Reading that thread today, wow, those were some heady, optimistic days! :bandance:

:walkoff:

My turning point, and when I believed this team had that special something that could take them all the way.

MarySwiss
04-26-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm right there with you. I don't get why people say things like "Nobody saw it coming!"

Boolpoopy, I say! Some of us actually did as early as spring training. So there! :cool:

Exactly, Fuller! I mean, it wasn't like they came from out of nowhere. They had been pretty close for the past few years. Then they got Jose and Freddy. Then they added some speed at the top, and it wasn't such a huge leap. I liked Carlos as much as anyone, but we needed to get someone who could kick-start the offense. Like Scotty. And I forgot to mention Iguchi. He was a huge bonus!

Fuller_Schettman
04-26-2006, 01:27 PM
For me, it really clicked when we signed Iguchi and AJ (on top of having signed Scotty, et al) That's when I said to myself, "self, we are built for an October to remember" (wish I'd thought of the label "SOXTOBER")

We are also the same folks that refused to turn dark-cloudish in mid-September and KNEW that we were destined for greatness, despite some shabby play in the stretch...

Chisox003
04-26-2006, 01:30 PM

Minimum eight-peat.
No kidding.

I was talking about this yesterday.

Right now, these are the glory days for being White Sox fans. Between the team, the park, hell even the marketing ... It's all perfecto.

Enjoy the ride, me thinks it's just the beginning.

Palehose13
04-26-2006, 01:58 PM

Now about this year, I have another $150 out on them and I'm confident they will take it all again, but I'm not as flat-out, 100% certain as I was last year. I think that's because the urgency's gone. However, that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying this season so far!

No offense Mary, but you really don't count cause you predict that the Sox and the Bears will be the champions of their league every year. :wink:

MadetoOrta
04-26-2006, 02:07 PM
We all seemed to agree that the Sox were only as strong as their weakest starting pitcher [Grilli, Munoz et al] When the weakest pitcher wins 18 games, look out. And that's exactly what happened. Today, with the addition of Javy, I can honestly say we are without question the best team in baseball. We have 6 stud starting pitchers when other teams are lucky to have 3 or 4. That said, injuries can creep up on anyone. This is without question, the greatest time to be a Sox fan in my 40+ years on this planet.

MarySwiss
04-26-2006, 02:10 PM
No offense Mary, but you really don't count cause you predict that the Sox and the Bears will be the champions of their league every year. :wink:

I know you're kidding, but that is actually not true. Like most normal Chicago sports fans, I usually figure we'll choke at some point. The Bears thing last year was pure hunch. (Plus I had a couple of extra dollars laying around for SOME reason!) :cool: I also think Toronto will win the AL East this year and then lose to us in the ALCS. Toronto too is a hunch.

But the Sox WS thing was based on pure faith, together with some good ol' fashioned logical reasoning. :wink:

palehozenychicty
04-26-2006, 02:16 PM
No kidding.

I was talking about this yesterday.

Right now, these are the glory days for being White Sox fans. Between the team, the park, hell even the marketing ... It's all perfecto.

Enjoy the ride, me thinks it's just the beginning.

All this is on point, as the organization has proper management with some postseason success, a solid farm system, and a hard-core base that will get stronger with age and demographics in the nation's third-biggest market. The White Sox will become the Patriots and Spurs of MLB, with interchangeable parts bringing continued success. It's bound to happen, and teams are worried.

ondafarm
04-26-2006, 03:54 PM
All this is on point, as the organization has proper management with some postseason success, a solid farm system, and a hard-core base that will get stronger with age and demographics in the nation's third-biggest market. The White Sox will become the Patriots and Spurs of MLB, with interchangeable parts bringing continued success. It's bound to happen, and teams are worried.

It's not just the Sox current players who scare the league right now. The five-year plan with an all new outfield (includes BA) and much of the infield revamped.

Owens, Rogowski, Sweeney, . . . etc.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-26-2006, 04:04 PM

Those damn kids will have to listen!

"I once saw Jim Thome hit a ball so hard it melted into the bat! Of course that was in aught 6! Back then we had to say aught because the germans stole our zeros!"

"Grandpa.....I wanna play my XBOX 450!"

"Back then our XBOXs only went to 360. But the Germans also stole our degree symbols! Imagine playing a 2(Pi) Box!"
http://www.mygreatpumpkin.com/store/images/old%20man%20on%20rocker.jpg

Optipessimism
04-26-2006, 04:11 PM
It's not just the Sox current players who scare the league right now. The five-year plan with an all new outfield (includes BA) and much of the infield revamped.

Owens, Rogowski, Sweeney, . . . etc.

Maybe Sweeney, but I think the majority of this team is going to be around for a few more years after we win it all again this year. I'd think Rogo especially is gone if not this year then in the offseason. I'd also bet that both Broadway and Haeger are used in trades very soon. Owens may stick around, but outside of Sweeney there really isn't any player that I see KW being afraid to trade. Maybe Valido?

ondafarm
04-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Maybe Sweeney, but I think the majority of this team is going to be around for a few more years after we win it all again this year. I'd think Rogo especially is gone if not this year then in the offseason. I'd also bet that both Broadway and Haeger are used in trades very soon. Owens may stick around, but outside of Sweeney there really isn't any player that I see KW being afraid to trade. Maybe Valido?

I'm not saying it's all kids next year.

Next year, I think Sweeney and Owens both compete for spots. Vallido is probably a year after that as might be Fields. Getz possibly a year behind that. I'd expect Haeger and Broadway both to move up eventually with spots opening up on the White Sox roster.

The roster in five years (2011) will probably have BA on it and maybe Konerko as DH. Buehrle will probably be here and McCarthy probably but who else?

batmanZoSo
04-26-2006, 04:49 PM

"I once saw Jim Thome hit a ball so hard it melted into the bat! Of course that was in aught 6! Back then we had to say aught because the germans stole our zeros!"

"Back then our XBOXs only went to 360. But the Germans also stole our degree symbols! Imagine playing a 2(Pi) Box!"
http://www.mygreatpumpkin.com/store/images/old%20man%20on%20rocker.jpg

HAHA...

I look forward to forcing my grizzled, irrefutable tall-tales on future generations. And pontificate on how the game "sucks today" compared to the 1990s.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-26-2006, 04:52 PM
And pontificate...

Does this make you a pontificator or a pontiff?

MarySwiss
04-26-2006, 04:57 PM
Does this make you a pontificator or a pontiff?
Because he'll be doing it to his grandkids, it'll make him an OF. (Heh-heh-heh!)

chaotic8512
04-26-2006, 05:11 PM

:roflmao:
I can totally see Grampa Simpson saying that too.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Fisk:

With respect to the World Championship I think there is still a ways to go before calling this the 'golden age.'

Those of us of a certain age remember parts of the period from 1951 through 1967 when the Sox had 17 consecutive winning seasons.

Let's give this current bunch a few seasons before passing judgement.

Lip

1951Campbell
04-26-2006, 05:44 PM

Word.

wassagstdu
04-26-2006, 06:57 PM

I have been a Sox fan for over 50 years and if someone asks me about the glory days of Sox history in my lifetime I will talk about 2005 and 2006. Aparicio and Fox were great and a joy to watch, but so are Uribe and Iguchi. And overall this team is just way, way better than any I have seen.

ondafarm
04-26-2006, 08:09 PM
I have been a Sox fan for over 50 years and if someone asks me about the glory days of Sox history in my lifetime I will talk about 2005 and 2006. Aparicio and Fox were great and a joy to watch, but so are Uribe and Iguchi. And overall this team is just way, way better than any I have seen.

Wow!

kitekrazy
04-26-2006, 09:23 PM
So far the Sox seem to have employed their own "scorched earth" policy. The don't do the 1 run wins anymore. It's "we'll give you 1 for every 10 we score".

They don't win, they just embarrass the opposing teams who aren't playing well.

Imagine what their record would be if they were in the Nat'l League?