PDA

View Full Version : Singleton Story

Lip Man 1
04-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Carol Slezak in the Sun-Times has a long story on Chris Singleton and his new job with the White Sox. Interesting read.

Brooks acknowledges that he's heard from a number of upset Sox fans over Chris' performance but stands by him.

Farmer also has some honest comments in the story.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-chris26.html

Lip

SBSoxFan
04-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Good story; thanks for the link.

I thought the whole lazy-eyed pitcher exchange last night was pretty funny.

lumpyspun
04-26-2006, 10:23 AM
I like the way you can see the field in the reflection of his glasses in that picture.

Milw
04-26-2006, 10:35 AM
I appreciate that Singleton is doing the best he can ...

That said, it's unforgiveable that the Sox would hire a novice for this job, especially coming off a World Championship. If the Sox are serious about being a first-class organization, they can't have guys learning on the job in such a prominent, important position.

Brooks, please admit you guys dropped the ball on this and figure out a way out of this, NOW. Singleton is simply unlistenable, and it undermines the integrity of the entire franchise to trot him out there every day.

Unregistered
04-26-2006, 10:40 AM
McNeil, suggesting that former White Sox designated hitter Ron Kittle would have been a better choice for the job than Singleton:
"No. 1, [Kittle] is more steeped in White Sox lore. He was rookie of the year in 1983; he's the local guy made good ... even though he doesn't have experience as a broadcaster, he's glib, he's fan-friendly and he also accomplished something in the uniform, which Chris Singleton and Darrin Jackson didn't do.''

Quoth Dirk Diggler:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4291&d=1146065915

*For all you Boogie Nights fans out there... :cool:

Flight #24
04-26-2006, 10:41 AM
I appreciate that Singleton is doing the best he can ...

That said, it's unforgiveable that the Sox would hire a novice for this job, especially coming off a World Championship. If the Sox are serious about being a first-class organization, they can't have guys learning on the job in such a prominent, important position.

Brooks, please admit you guys dropped the ball on this and figure out a way out of this, NOW. Singleton is simply unlistenable, and it undermines the integrity of the entire franchise to trot him out there every day.

Just to clear it up because I've seen this type of thing tossed around a lot: The Sox are not the ones who hired Singleton (and let Rooney go). It was WSCR. The Sox had input, but not the final decision. In fact, IIRC, the Sox did what they could to keep Rooney, but WSCR wouldn't play ball salary-wise.

Now Brooks did recommend Singleton, but I don't know what parameters were in place at the time from a salary, etc perspective, or whether it was in lieu of a horrific alternative like Mike North or something. But rest assured, WSCR had the primary input on this decision and retains the control over if & when he's replaced.

Corlose 15
04-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Why isn't Singleton still playing? He's not that good of a hitter but with his defense you'd figure he'd be able to catch on somewhere as a fourth outfielder.

kobo
04-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Just to clear it up because I've seen this type of thing tossed around a lot: The Sox are not the ones who hired Singleton (and let Rooney go). It was WSCR. The Sox had input, but not the final decision. In fact, IIRC, the Sox did what they could to keep Rooney, but WSCR wouldn't play ball salary-wise.

Is it WSCR's fault or is it Infinity's fault? Infinity Broadcasting owns WSCR and I was under the impression that everything ultimately needs to be approved by Infinity. So even if WSCR wanted a veteran in the booth, if the salary was too high or Inifinty didn't like the choice then WSCR would not be able to do much about it. Am I right or am I way off here?

Uncle_Patrick
04-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Why isn't Singleton still playing? He's not that good of a hitter but with his defense you'd figure he'd be able to catch on somewhere as a fourth outfielder.

Didn't he fail a physical with some team last year during spring training? That was the last I heard of him until this deal with the Score.

ode to veeck
04-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Didn't he fail a physical with some team last year during spring training? That was the last I heard of him until this deal with the Score.

failed the physical for the world's slowest bat speed?

ode to veeck
04-26-2006, 11:23 AM
I woulda picked Blackjack in a heartbeat

Jerko
04-26-2006, 11:28 AM

Couldn't agree more. I enjoy his work in the booth.

rdwj
04-26-2006, 11:30 AM
I was kinda rooting for Steve Lyons.

"I didn't expect to be considered for a position like this so quickly,''

Neither did we Chris - neither did we!

kane0730
04-26-2006, 11:33 AM
I find it funny how North talks about "unlistenable" radio.

IspepAloc
04-26-2006, 11:35 AM
A lot of my issues with Singleton are that he seems like he's slow to react to whats happening because him and Farmer are blabbing about something or when something is done on the field, he starts, pauses, continues, pauses, finishes. Coming from John Rooney and Farmer to Singleton and Farmer is extremely tough. Rooney was such a class act and Farmer is not Rooney and don't think that he's even a great PBP guy. Its like the put 2 Ed Farmers into the booth. I hope he improves and I hope they develop a chemistry because right now I'd rather listen to Hawk and DJ.

ChiSoxGirl
04-26-2006, 11:38 AM
I find it funny how North talks about "unlistenable" radio.

Classic example of the pot calling the kettle black!

This article was an interesting read. I guess the only thing we can take solace in is knowing that Singleton, Brooks Boyer, and others in the Sox organization are well aware of Singleton's faults and gaffes in the booth. Since those faults are well-known and have been identified, he can begin working on them. If we see no improvements at all by the Break or end of the season, then we really have something to worry about.

It's funny. Last year, I almost regret not listening to more of the playoff games on the radio, knowing that Rooney was leaving and that the radio broadcast was so strong in comparison to the weak FOX and ESPN broadcasts. That being said, I'll definitely be more apt to hear the network broadcasters over Farmer & Singleton this year. :o:

goon
04-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Quoth Dirk Diggler:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4291&d=1146065915

*For all you Boogie Nights fans out there... :cool:

"What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."

SOecks
04-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Very good, well written article and I can't believe it came from HER. Gives me a bit more hope with Singleton.

DumpJerry
04-26-2006, 12:48 PM
So would I. However, when I met him and told him he did a great job filling for Hawk, he told me he could not do the job because he has kids, therefore, it involves too much travel.

wdelaney72
04-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Ed Farmer sucks at PBP and makes the radio broadcast a very difficult listen. As long as Farmer does PBP, the color analyst is irrelevant.

NonetheLoaiza
04-26-2006, 12:54 PM
This article was an interesting read. I guess the only thing we can take solace in is knowing that Singleton, Brooks Boyer, and others in the Sox organization are well aware of Singleton's faults and gaffes in the booth. Since those faults are well-known and have been identified, he can begin working on them. If we see no improvements at all by the Break or end of the season, then we really have something to worry about.
You make a very good point. It's not like the Sox are saying, 'Well, we think he's outstanding. He doesn't have to work on anything." They are aware of the learning curve, and they are going to do anything to make him better. That, at least, is a positive.

skobabe8
04-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Anyone think Kittle would have been a good choice? I've enjoyed his analysis on tv. Interesting idea.

RealMenWearBlack
04-26-2006, 01:25 PM
There are probably a lot of guys that would have been a better fit than Singleton, but I think he'll come into his own in a few years. In the mean time, I'll be listening to Hawk and DJ as much as possible.

ilsox7
04-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Anyone think Kittle would have been a good choice? I've enjoyed his analysis on tv. Interesting idea.

Kittle would have been amazing. I do not listen to radio braodcasts and have not in years, but if they would have hired him, I would tune in regularly. Part of that is b/c he was my hitting coach back in the day, but part of it is also that he has soooo many GREAT stories about his playing days.

sachin
04-26-2006, 01:45 PM
My brother and I have not heard the new broadcaster, Mr. Singleton, on ESPN Radio. Will the White Sox games be broadcast on the radio when the Chicago Bulls have finished their basketball season?Many thanks, Sachin

Crede_Fan
04-26-2006, 02:31 PM
My brother and I have not heard the new broadcaster, Mr. Singleton, on ESPN Radio. Will the White Sox games be broadcast on the radio when the Chicago Bulls have finished their basketball season?Many thanks, Sachin

The games are now on 670 the score.

nlentz88
04-26-2006, 02:51 PM
A lot of my issues with Singleton are that he seems like he's slow to react to whats happening because him and Farmer are blabbing about something or when something is done on the field, he starts, pauses, continues, pauses, finishes. Coming from John Rooney and Farmer to Singleton and Farmer is extremely tough. Rooney was such a class act and Farmer is not Rooney and don't think that he's even a great PBP guy. Its like the put 2 Ed Farmers into the booth. I hope he improves and I hope they develop a chemistry because right now I'd rather listen to Hawk and DJ.

I agree. Maybe we've been spoiled listening to Rooney's PBP over the years, but Farmer's call just seems to have something missing. I suppose, like Singleton, Farmer still needs to adjust and do some on-the-job learning.

I really liked Singleton as a player and was a bit upset when he left the Sox. Man, he made some outstanding plays in the outfield, didn't he? But in the radio booth, he leaves much to be desired.

I've been listening to Sox games on the radio for years. Over the past few years, the Sox radio team was better than their TV team. I would mute the TV and listen to the radio guys. But now I think I prefer Hawk and DJ. Unfortunately, since I don't have cable TV I'll be listening to the radio guys for much of the season. Man, I sure hope Farmer and Singleton get better as the season progresses!

HotelWhiteSox
04-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Torborg, Lyons, a lot of guys with experience would have been a better choice, especially in the #3 DMA, coming off a World Championship. I don't think (some of) the analysis is horrible, but the pauses, he just doesn't have the voice or style for radio. In this effect, even North would have been better. I've been blaming the Score for going on the cheap and not being able to bring back Rooney, but it's a little disturbing to read that the Sox were the ones that called Singleton

flo-B-flo
04-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Ed Farmer sucks at PBP and makes the radio broadcast a very difficult listen. As long as Farmer does PBP, the color analyst is irrelevant. I've written this or something like this before. Good Lord does Farmer suck!:puking:

AZChiSoxFan
04-26-2006, 04:07 PM

:kukoo:

Ummm, let me let you in on a little secret. On second thought, never mind.

Britt Burns
04-26-2006, 04:20 PM
I'd like to see Ventura in the Sox booth. Not that I've heard him other than an appearance as a guest here or there but I just have a feeling he would be a blast to listen to. I'd love to hear my boyhood idol, Kittle, as well.

Singleton...not so much. It took winning a World Series to make DJ tolerable to me...why do we have to go through this again!

spongyfungy
04-26-2006, 04:38 PM
I remember a story about Don Sutton's last year in the league. He prepared for broadcasting by using a tape recorder and doing pbp while in the dugout on days he didn't pitch.

I suggest Chris watch some games with the sound off and keep practicing instead of practicing on the air.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Gang:

Just some points.

BOTH Jack McDowell and Robin Ventura told the Sox that while they would like to do SOME games they would be unavailable for an entire season due to family first commitments.

My sources, including one who actually auditioned for the job told me that the original three finalist's were Steve Lyons, Ron Kittle and Tommy John.

What happened after the list was originally narrowed down, I have no idea. I suspect that money was an issue.

Singleton was willing to work for the amount offered unlike Lyons and John (both of whom asked for more money then was originally budgeted for...) He apparently came in as a 'last minute' candidate after the Sox had difficulty coming to terms with the others.

Take it for what it's worth.

Lip

1951Campbell
04-26-2006, 05:42 PM
"[Singleton] is way ahead of where [Farmer and Jackson] were when those guys were at this point,''

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/BPMdotEXE/Random/O_RLY.jpg

SouthSide_HitMen
04-26-2006, 06:54 PM

Because he is so talented as a broadcaster, he obviously made the correct call giving up his MLB career for it. The White Sox and the WSCR made a savvy move locking Singleton up in a four year deal, sight or sound unseen. Can you imagine if the White Sox actually let him learn his craft somewhere for a season or two and he managed to slip away? That would be more tragic than the 1994 season, steroids freaks taking over the single season and career home run records and the 1919 Black Sox scandal combined.

A.T. Money
04-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Rooney was the only reason I could deal with Farmer at all. Singleton makes Farmer sound good.

Scary.

I try to get Hawk and DJ as much as possible.

Dancin' Homer
04-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Because he is so talented as a broadcaster, he obviously made the correct call giving up his MLB career for it. The White Sox and the WSCR made a savvy move locking Singleton up in a four year deal, sight or sound unseen. Can you imagine if the White Sox actually let him learn his craft somewhere for a season or two and he managed to slip away? That would be more tragic than the 1994 season, steroids freaks taking over the single season and career home run records and the 1919 Black Sox scandal combined.
:tealpolice:

SoxRox
04-26-2006, 09:43 PM
In my opinion, the reason the broadcasts fail is not Singleton so much as Farmer. He needs to concentrate on describing the WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE GAME. The way Farmer blathers on and on you would think we all had televisions in our cars. It drives me nuts! I'd rather listen to a pro like Pat Hughes, who can at least paint a baseball game for listener, than suffer through one more anecdote about Ed's "playing days" while a batter goes from 0-1 to a walk with no further explanation.

SoxRox

Parrothead
04-26-2006, 10:28 PM

Kittle would have been the correct choice....providing he would have taken the job. He has so much personality.

Forgot about Tommy John.....I would have been satisfied with him too. Both are very good at their jobs.

Foulke You
04-26-2006, 11:46 PM
I'd rather listen to a pro like Pat Hughes, who can at least paint a baseball game for listener
I like Farmer and don't quite understand all the venom directed his way lately but everyone is entitled to their opinions. And Pat Hughes? UGH!! I regularly use Pat Hughes and Santo as an example of just how bad a radio broadcast can be. Those guys are unlistenable. Singleton is Ernie Harwell compared to marble mouthed "OH NOOOOOOO!!!" Santo and I hat the style Pat Hughes uses to call a game. To me, he sounds like a grandfather reading a book to a bunch of wide eyed children. Not a good baseball style at all.

Farmer has a dry wit that rubs some people the wrong way but overall, the man knows his stuff and delivers a no-nonsense baseball broadcast. Admittedly, he doesn't have a good chemistry with Singleton right now but hopefully, that will improve. Farmer also has never shys away from calling a spade a spade where Hughes is nothing but a corporate shill for the Tribune.

soxinem1
04-27-2006, 07:19 AM
I like Farmer and don't quite understand all the venom directed his way lately but everyone is entitled to their opinions. And Pat Hughes? UGH!! I regularly use Pat Hughes and Santo as an example of just how bad a radio broadcast can be. Those guys are unlistenable. Singleton is Ernie Harwell compared to marble mouthed "OH NOOOOOOO!!!" Santo and I hat the style Pat Hughes uses to call a game. To me, he sounds like a grandfather reading a book to a bunch of wide eyed children. Not a good baseball style at all.

Farmer has a dry wit that rubs some people the wrong way but overall, the man knows his stuff and delivers a no-nonsense baseball broadcast. Admittedly, he doesn't have a good chemistry with Singleton right now but hopefully, that will improve. Farmer also has never shys away from calling a spade a spade where Hughes is nothing but a corporate shill for the Tribune.

I liked Hughes much better with the Brewers myself, but when you are stuck with guys like Santo and Hundley, who still think 1969 was the greatest international tragedy in the history of mankind, you would only expect that your game gets knocked downa few notches.

My take is this. If it is indeed true Dave Wills is done in Tampa after this year, TIME TO BRING HIM HOME!!

Milw
04-27-2006, 08:40 AM

Farmer is a moron who would rather ramble about a game 25 years ago than the game he's supposed to be announcing. When I tune in mid-game, I usually have to wait about 8 minutes to find out what inning it is or what the score is (unless, of course, Singleton is calling PBP and he tells me every 15 seconds).

Farmer made a particular tool of himself during last night's game. With the Mariners batting and runners on 2nd and 3rd with 0 outs, Farmer declared the batter would be attempting a squeeze on the second or third pitch. Both pitches went by without any bunt attempt, and Farmer still wouldn't let it go. "With a 1-2 count here, this would be the ideal time to lay down a squeeze. The defense wouldn't be expecting it." Of course, Farmer was the only person at Safeco Field who thought a bunt would make sense in that situation.

Farmer's a damn fool, and Singleton's a Rookie League announcer starting in the bigs for the World Champs. As someone who often works late and depends on the radio crew to tell me about the Sox, this crew is a total travesty. Absolute garbage. I wish there was some way to boycott the Score without losing my Sox games. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

EastCoastSoxFan
04-27-2006, 08:58 AM
I wish there was some way to boycott the Score without losing my Sox games. :angry::angry::angry::angry:
If you are willing to spring for XM radio you can listen to the Sox opponents' radio feed...

tebman
04-27-2006, 09:03 AM

What he said.

The reading-to-grandchildren analogy about Hughes is right on the mark. On the occasions I've heard him, he sounds like a parody of a sports announcer with his trombone delivery ("It's a BEAUTIful day at...WRIGLEY Field in...ChiCAGO, where the CUBS...face the PITTSburgh...PIrates") and his gee-it's-swell-to-be-here manner.

But then I suppose that's how the Tribune views most everybody receiving its messages -- "Listen now, children, as we explain this to you." Everything is Disneyfied, including the profit margins.

Glad to be a Sox fan. I'd rather deal with people who have real texture.

soxfanreggie
04-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Anyone else get headaches from listening to Farmer...they were tolerable when Rooney did the play-by-play, but it is very hard for me to listen to Farmer's voice on the radio for some reason. I met him a few times and no problem in person, just on the radio. I'm being serious, does anyone else suffer with something like that.

wdelaney72
04-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Venom towards Farmer? No venom. He was OK as a color analyst, but that is no longer his job. Farmer is a bad PBP guy becauase:
1) He doesn't have a pleasant sounding voice. The tone of his voice is whiny and annoying. This is fine for color analysis, but not for the voice that does most of the talking. Great PBP have natural sounding vocal chords... something Farmer does not have.
2) He doesn't shut-up. Farmer talks and than gives an analysis of hi own call... over and over and over. Singleton's going to have a hard time improving, because he never gets a chance to speak.
3) Farmer is a retired athlete, not a schooled broadcaster. Yes, I know there's something to on the job training, but this is not the profession he spent his young adult life training for.

The Score went cheap, and we're all getting what they paid for. If it's true that the Sox really don't have a say in this, then shame on them for negotiating a stupid contract, however, I find that VERY hard to believe given Mr. Reinsdorf credentials as an attorney and businessman.

The bottom line is the Sox play in the 3rd largest market and are the WS champions. The fans deserve a legitimate PBP radio broadcaster and we're not getting one.

I'm sure Farmer is a nice guy, and I don't question his love for the White Sox organization in any way. But the fact is he's not a good PBP guy. Period.

Medford Bobby
04-27-2006, 10:40 AM
I really believe that the radio broadcasters are almost "throwaways" in the important scheme of baseball broadcasting. Radio play by play is not at the huge importance to contracts that they were 10, 15 or even 20 years ago. The big money is the huge TV contracts that generate revenue. Many teams don't have huge radio contracts, so talent wise is not up to what it use to be. Or at least they are not going to get star power money like Harry Caray.

A team like the Cardinals got a great broadcast in John Rooney, but opted to leave a huge signal like KMOX for a 5,000 watt nat size signal. You got an A -1 level star broadcaster and NOBODY can hear him after dark in St. Louis.

I'm sure both the White Sox and the Score too.... are happy that "something" is on the air as they have sold all their ad time.....:?:

Funny thing, baseball teams have had a wierd streak of firing or letting go great broadcasters with out thinking of the impact on fan base..i.e. Caray, Ernie Harwell, Mel Allen.:mad:

Singleton needs to fire up his computer on his "off" days and get MLB audio and personally listen to his broadcasts..........:o:

viagracat
04-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Singleton being that honest and upfront about his performance, IMO, raises hopes that he will get better, and soon. You don't hear that kind of frank self-assessment too often. We'll find out if he steps up to the challenge.

sachin
04-27-2006, 01:30 PM
The broadcasters of the White Sox games are not nice to listen to. One broadcaster talks very fast and the other broadcaster does not tell what is happening in the baseball game. My brother told me that all the broadcaster wants to talk of is organ transplant, playing golf and California. At that moment, my brother and I wish to hear baseball, not stories of organ transplant.Sachin

SouthSide_HitMen
04-27-2006, 02:11 PM
The thing that disturbed me most about this piece was Brooks attacking those who criticize this debacle as "spewing venom."

Brooks is responsible for the only two mistakes the White Sox made over the off season - dumping the organ for 2/3 of the season (by not signing a replacement for night games) and selecting an non experienced / non professional for the broadcast booth. I wish he would have spent more time and energy preventing these two situations than defending these poor decisions and attacking those who do not agree. This isn't the Chicago Cubs fanbase where sheep will accept anything (i.e. Santo behind the mike, scalped tickets from the team and "wait til next millennium" complacency).

Sorry, White Sox fans are not going to put up with BS and will voice their opinion and not sit like mindless dolts "Through Thick and Thin".

Milw
04-27-2006, 03:06 PM
The broadcasters of the White Sox games are not nice to listen to. One broadcaster talks very fast and the other broadcaster does not tell what is happening in the baseball game. My brother told me that all the broadcaster wants to talk of is organ transplant, playing golf and California. At that moment, my brother and I wish to hear baseball, not stories of organ transplant.Sachin
LOL!

Sachin is spot-on with this.

SoxRox
04-27-2006, 04:20 PM

YES! Kudos to Sachin!

You put it perfectly.

soxinem1
04-27-2006, 05:27 PM
The thing that disturbed me most about this piece was Brooks attacking those who criticize this debacle as "spewing venom."

Brooks is responsible for the only two mistakes the White Sox made over the off season - dumping the organ for 2/3 of the season (by not signing a replacement for night games) and selecting an non experienced / non professional for the broadcast booth. I wish he would have spent more time and energy preventing these two situations than defending these poor decisions and attacking those who do not agree. This isn't the Chicago Cubs fanbase where sheep will accept anything (i.e. Santo behind the mike, scalped tickets from the team and "wait til next millennium" complacency).

Sorry, White Sox fans are not going to put up with BS and will voice their opinion and not sit like mindless dolts "Through Thick and Thin".

Well said. Farmer's monotone descriptions give people headaches because they are often followed by irrelevaent rantings about St. Rita, Notre Dame, kidneys, and former teammates like Randy Lerch who were scrubs like Farmer was. Eight or nine pitches later you find out about strikes, balls, hits.

Ed Farmer PBP call: Here's the pitch to Lopez, gone.

Singleton sounds hyped over reading commercial announcements.

All in all, I wish Gary Thorne was back over this mess, and I did not care for him at all.

Foulke You
04-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Venom towards Farmer? No venom. He was OK as a color analyst, but that is no longer his job. Farmer is a bad PBP guy becauase:
1) He doesn't have a pleasant sounding voice. The tone of his voice is whiny and annoying. This is fine for color analysis, but not for the voice that does most of the talking. Great PBP have natural sounding vocal chords... something Farmer does not have.
2) He doesn't shut-up. Farmer talks and than gives an analysis of hi own call... over and over and over. Singleton's going to have a hard time improving, because he never gets a chance to speak.
3) Farmer is a retired athlete, not a schooled broadcaster. Yes, I know there's something to on the job training, but this is not the profession he spent his young adult life training for.

Fair enough. I will agree that Farmer is not a GREAT pbp man and that he was much better in the color analyst role alongside Rooney. Although, I think he is more than serviceable in the pbp role but I appear to be in the minority here on that. Rooney and Farmer had great chemistry and it just seemed to "click" between them in those roles but you have to remember that those guys had 14 years in the booth to become the well oiled machine that they were. Right now, you have two guys doing something they've never done before and it is all pretty new. Farmer is the main PBP guy for the first time and Singleton is learning everything right now. They both have only a handful of games working together as well. Hopefully, this will get better as the season goes on.

One thing I do know is that the Sox tend to "stick by their man" far longer than most organizations. Get used to Farmer and Singleton as your radio team because I don't think they are going anywhere although adding Dave Wills at some point would be nice.

guillen4life13
04-29-2006, 06:34 PM
I think you guys are heavily overreacting to the choice of Singleton.

"If the Sox really wanted to be a first class organization," etc...

FOR GOD SAKES, THEY JUST WON THE DAMN WORLD SERIES!

Rooney is gone, and no matter who they were to choose, there would have been a period of time where the product wouldn't have been as good. Whether it be Lyons, John, etc.

I've listened to a couple broadcasts, and while it's not so great, it isn't half as bad as one would think just by reading what you guys are saying. Rooney was a helluva broadcaster. For anyone to live up to that would be really tough. BlackJack and Ventura (both of whom I think would have been great) have a family commitment (and even though I'm young and have no kids, I'd make the same decision). Who would you suggest the Sox should have hired?

And for the record, to think that Tommy John or Ted Lyons, etc., would have been better is a complete estimation. Hell, they would have more baseball stories to tell, and suddenly you'd never know what the score is with Farmio and, say, Tommy John, telling you every baseball related experience they've had.

Singleton wants to improve, and I'm sure he will.

So quit whining already.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-29-2006, 07:51 PM
And for the record, to think that Tommy John or Ted Lyons, etc., would have been better is a complete estimation.

White Sox Hall of Fame pitcher Ted Lyons died in 1986.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/l/lyonste01.shtml

Whether he would be better than Singleton in 2006 is up for debate. :smile:

guillen4life13
04-30-2006, 12:16 AM

My bad. Maybe it was Britt Burns or whomever. I don't remember all the candidates mentioned, and I don't feel like rereading the entire thread to find out who they were again.

Either way...

Chips
04-30-2006, 10:15 AM

I'll take a dead Ted Lyons in the booth over Slow Swing any day.

soxgirl617
04-30-2006, 10:59 AM

So quit whining already.[/quote]

I agree 100%. Look at it this way: Singleton just started a new job. Has everyone on this board been 100% perfect at a new job within 3 months? I think not. Give him a chance. (And while I don't currently care for Farmer as a PBP guy, give him a chance, too.)

Greg1983
04-30-2006, 11:48 AM
I suppose the train has *really* left the station on this one, but better late than never. Here goes...

To whom it may concern:

I would very much like to be considered for the position of Play-by-Play radio announcer for Chicago White Sox games.

I worked in radio for a little over 4 years as a board operator and disc jockey. I have an above-average command of the English language, and my friends tell me I have a decent voice. I haven't kept score since I was a kid, but I have a wonderful memory and I'm sure it will come right back to me like riding a bike.

Oh, and I'm proficient in Word and Excel. And I'm a self-starter.

If anyone would be interested in a copy of my audition tape, I'll make one and send it to you.

:cool:
Greg1983

SOecks
04-30-2006, 11:54 AM

So quit whining already.

I agree 100%. Look at it this way: Singleton just started a new job. Has everyone on this board been 100% perfect at a new job within 3 months? I think not. Give him a chance. (And while I don't currently care for Farmer as a PBP guy, give him a chance, too.)

Nobody is expecting 100% perfection, but you are both not getting the points made in this thread and I assume you haven't even read through it to be saying we're just "whining". Would you hire a 21 year old right out of college to be CEO of a Fortune 500 company? NO, you wouldn't. If you did, your shareholders would be extremely angry when he started performing terribly right off the bat. The 21 year old should be given time to get good at what he does and EARN the right to be there with some experience. We expect (rightfully) that our broadcast team should be at LEAST listenable since we are the World Champions in the 3rd largest market. What is so hard to understand about this? How is this whining, Guillen4life? :?:

Ken
04-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Like everyone else, I really liked Rooney. But, I never was a big fan of the Rooney/Farmer combination. I thought that Farmer really brought Rooney down to a less professional level with some of their senseless comments and comedy routines.

I do feel that Farmer has actually improved and takes a more professional approach now that he is the main man. Even though he has a way to go on his PBP, he is not so silly and is becoming easier for me to listen to.

Singleton, on the other hand, should not do PBP for a LONG time. Why is Farmer in such a big hurry for Singleton to relieve him?

If anyone has ventured overed to the WGN baseball broadcast, you have noticed that they have realized that Santo can never do PBP. However, he is a decent color commentator. I believe they bring in an announcer to help Pat Hughes out for one inning.

If Farmer needs a break, maybe the Score needs to bring in a one inning fill-in that is bearable for us to listen to.

TornLabrum
04-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Like everyone else, I really liked Rooney. But, I never was a big fan of the Rooney/Farmer combination. I thought that Farmer really brought Rooney down to a less professional level with some of their senseless comments and comedy routines.

I do feel that Farmer has actually improved and takes a more professional approach now that he is the main man. Even though he has a way to go on his PBP, he is not so silly and is becoming easier for me to listen to.

Singleton, on the other hand, should not do PBP for a LONG time. Why is Farmer in such a big hurry for Singleton to relieve him?

If anyone has ventured overed to the WGN baseball broadcast, you have noticed that they have realized that Santo can never do PBP. However, he is a decent color commentator. I believe they bring in an announcer to help Pat Hughes out for one inning.

If Farmer needs a break, maybe the Score needs to bring in a one inning fill-in that is bearable for us to listen to.

Farmer only has one working (transplanted) kidney. He might need to leave.

nasox
04-30-2006, 08:05 PM
:kukoo:

Ummm, let me let you in on a little secret. On second thought, never mind.

Why don't I let you in on a little secret. :rolleyes:

Sachin is a foreign exchange student at the University of Chicago from India. Of many people from India ( I would know, my parents are from India), most don't take an interest in baseball. Sachin and his brother have, and have infrequently posted here on their experiences. It would be nice if we could open our arms to him (and other "newer" Sox fans) instead of being sarcastic and smarmy.

I bet you Sachin is smart enough to not through a home run ball back onto the field, to not say m-f this and m-f that in the presence of families at a Sox game, and to not cheer at shallow pop flies to center.

So lay off. And I hope Sachin posts here more often, and continues to attend Sox games.

TornLabrum
04-30-2006, 08:14 PM

Sachin is a foreign exchange student at the University of Chicago from India. Of many people from India ( I would know, my parents are from India), most don't take an interest in baseball. Sachin and his brother have, and have infrequently posted here on their experiences. It would be nice if we could open our arms to him (and other "newer" Sox fans) instead of being sarcastic and smarmy.

I bet you Sachin is smart enough to not through a home run ball back onto the field, to not say m-f this and m-f that in the presence of families at a Sox game, and to not cheer at shallow pop flies to center.

So lay off. And I hope Sachin posts here more often, and continues to attend Sox games.

Reminds me of a phrase they used to use back in the '50s and '60s: "The ugly American."

I had forgotten the background on Sachin when I read his last post or two, so I clicked on his name and read some of his past posts. From that I saw (and remembered) that he is a student who is new in the USA and new to baseball but likes cricket.

Amazing what you can learn when you actually utilize the features here at WSI...features that help protect you from looking like an idiot.

SOecks
04-30-2006, 08:15 PM

I didn't go through this whole thread again but from what Sachin wrote on page 4, it looks like he got some nice support from most folks. I share his sentiment and enjoy his writing style quite a bit. I'm sure there's a language barrier but that last post he wrote was entertaining in a "laughing with you" kind of way.

guillen4life13
04-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Nobody is expecting 100% perfection, but you are both not getting the points made in this thread and I assume you haven't even read through it to be saying we're just "whining". Would you hire a 21 year old right out of college to be CEO of a Fortune 500 company? NO, you wouldn't. If you did, your shareholders would be extremely angry when he started performing terribly right off the bat. The 21 year old should be given time to get good at what he does and EARN the right to be there with some experience. We expect (rightfully) that our broadcast team should be at LEAST listenable since we are the World Champions in the 3rd largest market. What is so hard to understand about this? How is this whining, Guillen4life? :?:

So then name some options that were realistic who have had anything more than spot appearances in broadcasting in the past...

If you do so, then I'll concede. The ones who were in the running were Tommy John, Steve Lyons, and Ron Kittle. Of my knowledge, none of them has anything more than cameo media appearances. Sure, they may have personality, but, though I've never met Chris, I'm sure he has a personality that he's trying to let come through over the broadcasts but he hasn't found his comfort zone yet. And he obviously knows that lots of Sox fans aren't happy with him. He has some pressure on him.

I just fail to see how the realistic alternatives that have been mentioned would be better than Singleton. They would have had little-no experience. Just like Chris.

guillen4life13
04-30-2006, 10:45 PM

I am also the son of two Indian immigrants, and I've had family come to live with us who have developed interests in baseball after a very short time in this country. I'm glad that Sachin is interested in it too.

I hope he continues to post here and offer his input.

PaulDrake
05-01-2006, 07:38 PM
I just listened to another sub par (trying to be kind) half inning of Chris Singleton doing play by play. It isn't going to get much better. In addition to everything else he just doesn't have the "voice". End it, some things in life just don't work out. This is one of them.

Edit. The bottom half of the inning was worse than the top. I wish Chris Singleton no ill will, in fact he was a favorite of mine when he played for the Sox. It doesn't change the fact that this is embarassingly bad. Farmer is now announcing. He's not a stellar PBP guy, but the difference is telling.

Save McCuddy's
05-01-2006, 08:38 PM
To all who shruck the blame to WSCR or Infinity for hiring on the cheap, please set your pipes down. The White Sox controlled their own radio destiny as they peddled the broadcasting rights to the highest bidder. I find it hard to believe that the issue of Rooney's departure couldn't have been dealt with when the station choice was being made. Ultimately, the team must be held accountable for the caliber of broadcaster its flagship hires.