PDA

View Full Version : Over/Under on Ozzie arguing with ump

gobears1987
04-25-2006, 08:52 PM
OK, I checked and the homeplate ump is none other than douchebag Hunter Wendelstedt. How many innings will it be until Ozzie gets in this douchebag's face when he tries to screw us.

I say around the 4th.

BeviBall!
04-25-2006, 08:55 PM
It's gonna be a fun night!! I say he gets run in the 6th.

gobears1987
04-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Am I alone in hoping something big happens leading to Wendelstedt being fined, or better yet, canned?

chisox06
04-25-2006, 08:57 PM
OK, I checked and the homeplate ump is none other than douchebag Hunter Wendelstedt. How many innings will it be until Ozzie gets in this douchebag's face when he tries to screw us.

I say around the 4th.

You used the word douchebag twice in three sentences..Impressive! Ozzie won't intentionally pick a fight, but since Wendelstedt sucks, I would say relatively the odds are fairly high.

QCIASOXFAN
04-25-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm going 3 innings, we always get bad umps out west.

gobears1987
04-25-2006, 09:06 PM
I'm going 3 innings, we always get bad umps out west.Thius isn't any ump. This is Wendlestedt, the same douche who sent Crede back to the plate after the hbp. Ozzie and Crede both got ejected that game. Wendlestedt got fined too IIRC.

gobears1987
04-25-2006, 09:24 PM
The g-d damn douchebag is already screwing us. Why can't he just have a freaking heart attack.:angry:

WSDaytonOH
04-25-2006, 10:40 PM
:gulp: Ozzie's still in. I think he's changed a bit since last year. Home runs don't hurt! Chicks dig the long ball.

ondafarm
04-25-2006, 11:01 PM
9-0 last of the sixth. I doubt there will be any festivities.

TheOldRoman
04-25-2006, 11:53 PM
It is a good thing the Sox jumped all over the Mariners, because the strikezone today has been ridiculous. Vazquez didn't get much, but the Mariners pitchers were getting calls on balls way off the plate.
MLB needs to do something about Wendlestedt, because he is going to screw over the Sox every chance he gets. I just pray we don't end up getting him in the playoffs.

ondafarm
04-26-2006, 12:42 AM
It is a good thing the Sox jumped all over the Mariners, because the strikezone today has been ridiculous. Vazquez didn't get much, but the Mariners pitchers were getting calls on balls way off the plate.
MLB needs to do something about Wendlestedt, because he is going to screw over the Sox every chance he gets. I just pray we don't end up getting him in the playoffs.

I think there is little chance of that. Every umpire is graded on every game via the Questec system. The playoff spots are now awarded to the best umpires as in the ones graded the best, as opposed to seniority like it used to be. I think seniority has something to do with the order the umps call the games and their rotation now.

If Wendelstedt grades out as one of the best then I'll do a Schilling on the Questec cameras. ((Of course, that NFL referee idiot who hated the Bears, Dick Hantack, did a SuperBowl one year.))

Lip Man 1
04-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Onda:

Can you provide confirmation of this. I recently saw an umpire talking about this and stating that EVERY guy eventually gets to the post season regardless of capability. The 'logic' behind it was that 'all' umpires are good and that not just a few are going to collect the extra revenue every year.

Lip

ondafarm
04-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Lip:

I'll look into it, but recall that last year two rookies worked the foul lines in game one of the ALCS. Then in game two, with the Josh Paul flub and AJ dash to first, that one of the things the Angels were screaming about was that this was a rookie ump calling the plate. I was at the game and he had a wierd strike call, which the Angels chatted about afterwards.

I'm certain that it's not based on seniority (or wasn't last year.)

hawkjt
04-26-2006, 01:21 AM
Yea, I thought maybe the sox might say something to ole Hunter when Javy hit the m's catcher who absolutely turned into the pitch which was just barely inside. He hit himself, as much as Joe Crede did last year in Oakland. Course this time Hunter made the right call and allowed the runner to trot down to first base.

I still cant believe he made that call on Joe last year.

scottjanssens
04-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Lip:

I'll look into it, but recall that last year two rookies worked the foul lines in game one of the ALCS. Then in game two, with the Josh Paul flub and AJ dash to first, that one of the things the Angels were screaming about was that this was a rookie ump calling the plate. I was at the game and he had a wierd strike call, which the Angels chatted about afterwards.

I'm certain that it's not based on seniority (or wasn't last year.)

The umps are chosen by the dude who's in charge of umpiring. As such, politics plays too big a role in the decision making process. The Questec scores are considered, but not the deciding factor. Like everything else, they're probably used to support choices when the scores are good, and conveniently forgotten when scores are not.

I thought the plate ump did a decent job last night. Johjima doesn't frame pitches (which I found odd) so it looked like a lot of stuff that hit the bottom of the zone (like that great curve that got Thome looking) or hit the corners didn't look like strikes if you were using the catcher's mitt as a visual clue.