PDA

View Full Version : 2nd favorite South Side major league professional team of the past/present

BeeBeeRichard
04-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Assuming a home field south of Soldier Field.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Past - Chicago Sting (Comiskey Park)
Present - University of Chicago (The Original Monsters of the Midway) - They are not professional but there are no current professional teams south of Soldier Field in the city IIRC.

monkeypants
04-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Growing up, there were two things I wanted to do. Play centerfield for the Sox and play center midfield for the the Sting.

Karl Heintz Granitza, Pato Margetic, Arno Steffenhagen, Ingo Peter, Charlie Fajkus, Bret Hall, Davey Huson, Franz Mathieu, Derek Spaulding, Manny Rojas, Willy Roy, good times!!! Sure they may have been borderline crap soccer players that couldn't cut it in the European and South American leagues but they were the best soccer we were able to see and I loved them. And this Chicago team actually beat a team from Toronto in the playoffs. It's burned into my mind watching the 1984 Soccer Bowl on SportsVision as the Sting beat the Blizzard both in Chicago and in Toronto. That and the 1981 Soccer Bowl were my first memories of a championship coming to Chicago and I thought the Sting were the greatest thing ever.

GoSox2K3
04-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Past - Chicago Sting (Comiskey Park)
Present - University of Chicago (The Original Monsters of the Midway) - They are not professional but there are no current professional teams south of Soldier Field in the city IIRC.

:hawk
Your what hurts? No doubt that's what Cub fans think.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-25-2006, 11:25 PM
:hawk
Your what hurts? No doubt that's what Cub fans think.

The thread starter asked for 2nd favorite team. I omitted the word "other" as in no "other" current professional teams in the city.

SOXintheBURGH
04-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Growing up, there were two things I wanted to do. Play centerfield for the Sox and play center midfield for the the Sting.

Karl Heintz Granitza, Pato Margetic, Arno Steffenhagen, Ingo Peter, Charlie Fajkus, Bret Hall, Davey Huson, Franz Mathieu, Derek Spaulding, Manny Rojas, Willy Roy, good times!!! Sure they may have been borderline crap soccer players that couldn't cut it in the European and South American leagues but they were the best soccer we were able to see and I loved them. And this Chicago team actually beat a team from Toronto in the playoffs. It's burned into my mind watching the 1984 Soccer Bowl on SportsVision as the Sting beat the Blizzard both in Chicago and in Toronto. That and the 1981 Soccer Bowl were my first memories of a championship coming to Chicago and I thought the Sting were the greatest thing ever.

:gulp:

I had a Pato Margetic autographed ball back in the day, it was my favorite thing in the world.. None of my friends knew who Pato Margetic was, though.

Lip Man 1
04-26-2006, 12:36 AM
I yearn for the days of Ralph Backstrom, Whitey Stapelton and on the P.A. none other then Chet Coppock!

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/5206/Chicago/cougar.gifLip

SaltyPretzel
04-26-2006, 07:28 AM
How long ago did they have events at the Chicago Coliseum? I remember driving past it with my dad when I was a kid. There was only part of the front wall still standing. I remember how bad the neighborhood was and how it must suck living around there. Anyway, I moved a block away from there at 15th and State last month. :smile:

MeteorsSox4367
04-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Although I never got to a game, I still have a Cougars button that my uncle bought me when he went to a game with my cousins.

To echo some of the other posters, I was a huge Sting fan. My Dad took me to Comiskey to see the Sox and the Sting. My dream gig as a kid was to either catch or play first for the Sox and be in goal for the Sting.

I remember sitting in the lower deck in right watching the Sting come back to beat Seattle in the playoffs with a pair of late goals. Not many people around us spoke English and they were all chain smoking, but it was fun.

There's even a website that sells NASL throwback t-shirts. I've had my eye on the Sting one for a while.

Thanks and Go Sox!

TomBradley72
04-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Go Cougars! Used to listen to them on WWMM radio....and their miracle run to the finals for the AVCO Cup.

BeeBeeRichard
04-26-2006, 09:58 AM
It was demolished in the early '80s, although through the mid-'80s you could still see cornerstones of the building from the Dan Ryan-Howard train when riding to Comiskey Park.

The last recorded events were student protests during the 1968 Democratic National Convention, as well as rock concerts during the same era by Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, etc., so it was probably in decline in use and condition throughout the '70s until it got the wrecking ball.

Here is is what it looked like far before those days

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/ChicagoBlackhawks/veryoldfront.jpg

How long ago did they have events at the Chicago Coliseum? I remember driving past it with my dad when I was a kid. There was only part of the front wall still standing. I remember how bad the neighborhood was and how it must suck living around there. Anyway, I moved a block away from there at 15th and State last month. :smile:

Hawkeroo1980
04-26-2006, 03:10 PM
go cardinals!

Dolly
04-26-2006, 03:18 PM
:?:Am I missing something? Why are the Bulls not listed in this poll?

DumpJerry
04-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Soldier Field is south of Roosevelt Road which is the northern boundary of Chicago, so why can't we consider the Bears? Is this becuase of their Urinal/Cubs roots?

The Bulls used to play on the north side of Madison (technically the north side of the city), but now play on the south side of Madison (technically the South Side of Chicago).

doublem23
04-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Madison St.?

DumpJerry
04-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Madison St.?
Yes. It's zero on the address scheme.

BeeBeeRichard
04-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Soldier Field is south of Roosevelt Road which is the northern boundary of Chicago, so why can't we consider the Bears? Is this becuase of their Urinal/Cubs roots?

Although the line could have been drawn to exclude the Coliseum, too, Soldier Field is more "downtown" or "central business district" or whatever you want to call it than it is "South Side." The Coliseum was in what may have been classifiable as a neighborhood, at least when it was first built. And if you add Soldier Field, then you'd have to consider the Chicago Fire (WFL), Chicago Winds, Chicago Blitz and, worse yet, the Chicago Enforcers, too.

The Bulls used to play on the north side of Madison (technically the north side of the city), but now play on the south side of Madison (technically the South Side of Chicago).

By that standard, the White Stockings (later known as the C***) would qualify, since they once played a few blocks south of the United Center on Taylor Street. Strangely enough, they played at the West Side Grounds, a term used to describe this area even now, more than 100 years later.

Whatever. If your definition of the South Side is the yellow line on the middle of Madison Street, feel free to use Other and list your choice here.

slavko
04-30-2006, 12:43 PM
:?:Am I missing something? Why are the Bulls not listed in this poll?

The Bulls were based at the Amphitheater their first year and moved to the Stadium before their second when the first McCormick Place burned down and the city needed the Amphitheater to house conventions.

Brian26
04-30-2006, 01:00 PM
:gulp:

I had a Pato Margetic autographed ball back in the day, it was my favorite thing in the world.. None of my friends knew who Pato Margetic was, though.

I don't believe I've heard that name in 20 years...since Al Lerner was doing Sports on Ch 7. Wow.

Railsplitter
04-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Admit it. If the Cards had stayed in Chicago, many of us would be rooting for them. Especially if we were South siders by birth or inclination.

Hawkeroo1980
05-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Admit it. If the Cards had stayed in Chicago, many of us would be rooting for them. Especially if we were South siders by birth or inclination.

WOULDN'T BE A BAD THING NOW........

That team looks ready to make a run deep in the playoffs now

tick53
05-01-2006, 05:48 PM
How about the old Chicago Mustangs (Comiskey). Soccer.

gaelhound
05-02-2006, 11:07 PM
The Midwest Pioneers, Starring Ann Calvello, Dyeing her hair different colors a generation before Rodman showed up! Pioneers vs. Bay Area Bombers, late 60's early 70's?

miker
05-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Whatever. If your definition of the South Side is the yellow line on the middle of Madison Street, feel free to use Other and list your choice here.
Didn't a Cook County Judge make a comment about how people south of Madison shouldn't be allowed to vote?

That's everything you need to know about people on the "North" side.

Sox-on-TV44
05-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Go Cougars! Used to listen to them on WWMM radio....and their miracle run to the finals for the AVCO Cup.
And did you watch Channel 44 for the road games by any chance?