PDA

View Full Version : BJ Upton update

maurice
04-25-2006, 06:04 PM
B.J. Upton has eight errors at Triple-A Durham already, but Devil Rays GM Andrew Friedman said on the phone the other day that he's committed to Upton as a shortstop. Friedman spoke with Upton in the offseason, and if Upton had said he wanted to change positions -- and move to the outfield, in all likelihood -- then Upton probably would be in the big leagues already, because Upton already is a big-league caliber offensive player. But Upton said he wants to remain a shortstop. "He's been working very hard," said Friedman.

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=shorthops_060424)

How nice of Friedman to leave Upton in the minors at a position he can't handle, instead of switching positions after his miserable 2005 effort at SS and promoting him to the majors.
:rolleyes:

Randar68
04-25-2006, 06:24 PM

How nice of Friedman to leave Upton in the minors at a position he can't handle, instead of switching positions after his miserable 2005 effort at SS and promoting him to the majors.

Well, the D-Rays don't really have a need for an OF'er, so they are just hoping and praying that he's possessed by the spirit of Robert Valido at this point, because he'll never be a serviceable SS.

FedEx227
04-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Upton is in a real hard spot right now. What looked like a promising SS prospect has turned into a complete destruction. Offensively hes there, no doubt... but his defense is the huge problem. The only position the D-Rays REALLY need him at is the SS position, especially this year with Lugo out of action, because 2B is pretty well locked up with Cantu as well.

The OF move, would probably benefit him, but the D-Rays have an absolute abundance of OFers major league and minor league; Hollins, Baldelli, Crawford, Rolls, Gomes, Young, Gathright, etc...

At this point the only feasible option would be use him in the DH role, because he is such a fantastic offensive/base-running weapon.

California Sox
04-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Sometimes you have to accept reality, though. This isn't Derek Jeter in A ball. Upton has repeatedly shown he can't field the position. I'd seriously consider trading either him or Baldelli now to get some actual major league pitching. Chris Young brought us Javier Vazquez. They could get someone decent for either of those guys. Tampa has too many holes to allow any area to be overstocked for long. They need to be more efficient with their assets.

CleeFan101
04-26-2006, 02:05 AM
If I was the D-Rays GM id make some moves at the all star break. Trade Gathright, Baldelli, and Huff.

Than promote Delmon Young and Upton. If Upton can play CF stick him there, if not put him in LF and Crawford in center.

Lineup:
LF: Crawford
SS: Lugo
2B: Cantu
DH: Gomes
RF: Young
CF: Upton
3B: Burroughs
C: Hall
1B:???

Im sure they can get a nice 1B prospect to fill that hole and a few pitching prospects from Huff, Baldelli, and Gathright. If they wanted something real big in return could take a risk and trade Crawford instead of Baldelli.

Randar68
04-26-2006, 11:48 AM
If I was the D-Rays GM id make some moves at the all star break. Trade Gathright, Baldelli, and Huff.

Than promote Delmon Young and Upton. If Upton can play CF stick him there, if not put him in LF and Crawford in center.

Lineup:
LF: Crawford
SS: Lugo
2B: Cantu
DH: Gomes
RF: Young
CF: Upton
3B: Burroughs
C: Hall
1B:???

Im sure they can get a nice 1B prospect to fill that hole and a few pitching prospects from Huff, Baldelli, and Gathright. If they wanted something real big in return could take a risk and trade Crawford instead of Baldelli.

Ditto, I think they have to trade a few of those guys to fill other needs. The 2 biggest candidates are Crawford and Baldelli(who has not been healthy in almost 2 years now) because of $$$, but they need to make room for some guys and fll their pitching/infield needs with some of that OF talent.

Hagan
04-26-2006, 12:43 PM
There is no way they are going to trade crawford with the great contract he is on, unless they get an incredible deal offered to them by the mets again. I think players like gathwright and dukes would be traded before him to make room for upton, if they wanted to put him in the outfield later on. Baldelli I could see in a different uniform soon though.

I am just waiting for Josh "I love drugs" Hamilton to play in his first minor league game in years so he can shock the world with his infamous heroin swing.

FedEx227
04-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah if I'm the D-Rays GM, and thank god I'm not. I'm shopping Huff, Baldelli and Gathright to try and open up some of the slots for Young and Upton.

Banix12
04-26-2006, 03:23 PM
There is no way they are going to trade crawford with the great contract he is on, unless they get an incredible deal offered to them by the mets again. I think players like gathwright and dukes would be traded before him to make room for upton, if they wanted to put him in the outfield later on. Baldelli I could see in a different uniform soon though.

I am just waiting for Josh "I love drugs" Hamilton to play in his first minor league game in years so he can shock the world with his infamous heroin swing.

Man, Josh Hamilton. What a waste of talent that mess has been. I hope he's taken this time to get his life back on track and comes back sober. If I'm not mistaken he's eligible to come back and play next season. I'm pretty sure he's still suspended from baseball this year. I can't believe he hasn't played ball for over three years now.

Hagan
04-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Yeah Josh is out for this year and probably doing some hard needle drugs with jeff allison who left marlins camp for personal reasons.

California Sox
04-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah Josh is out for this year and probably doing some hard needle drugs with jeff allison who left marlins camp for personal reasons.

Your depth of humanity is touching.

SouthSide_HitMen
04-27-2006, 02:39 PM

Tampa is devastated in the infield at the ML Level and could use Upton but the Rays will wait to bring Upton and Young (if he is still not under suspension) until July / August to prevent the arbitration clock from ticking.