PDA

View Full Version : AJ the Chirper

hawkjt
04-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Anyone notice how late in the game last nite the home plate ump (who was having a poor nite) stopped play with the m's up to bat, walked around to face AJ bent down like he was going to clean the plate, but just had choice words for AJ ?

Cannot say I remember seeing that before. AJ was pissed from his AB in the top of the inning when he had an outside strike called and I am sure when Garland was not getting that call he was chirping to the ump.

I noted that our buddy Hunter Weindelstat is on this crew. Lopez I think was the plate guy and he had a wide plate. Cotts was squeezed. Moyer was getting some low calls. Not blaming the umps but I thought it was interesting to see the ump make such a big show of putting AJ in his place.

jenn2080
04-25-2006, 01:55 PM
I saw that too and wondered what was going on. I was waiting for it to end up the Rockies game over the weekend

Meixner007
04-25-2006, 01:58 PM
I though Angel Hernandez was behind the plate. I could be wrong though.

BeviBall!
04-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Anyone notice how late in the game last nite the home plate ump (who was having a poor nite)

Now, that is an understatment. Jamie Glavine beat us last night.

scottjanssens
04-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Anyone notice how late in the game last nite the home plate ump (who was having a poor nite) stopped play with the m's up to bat, walked around to face AJ bent down like he was going to clean the plate, but just had choice words for AJ ?

I didn't notice last night, but I was working while I had the game on. I saw the plate ump at one of the weekend game do what you described. I think it was Sunday.

skobabe8
04-25-2006, 02:26 PM
I noticed that right away. The ump really wanted to make sure AJ heard what he had to say.

ondafarm
04-25-2006, 03:09 PM
I thought it was AJ putting a lousy ump in his place.

As a catcher you have direct access to the home plate ump and if he's calling your guys out and especially blowing calls when you are up, like had just happened, I don't know of a single catcher who wouldn't let the man hear of it. I thought it was very unprofessional of Angel Hernadez to get in AJ's face. Garland was getting squeezed all night long and it directly led to two of Seattle's runs. Moyer was getting plenty of black and then some and that guy shouldn't be a major league ump if that's how bad he calls most games. It looked like that was exactly what AJ was saying to him.

Dan Mega
04-25-2006, 03:13 PM
I have always noticed that the older pitchers always get the calls their way, or at least most of the time. Moyer and Maddux always, always get the calls low and outside.

Kogs35
04-25-2006, 03:56 PM
I though Angel Hernandez was behind the plate. I could be wrong though.

you are right, that was angel hernandez.

TheOldRoman
04-25-2006, 04:24 PM

Cannot say I remember seeing that before. AJ was pissed from his AB in the top of the inning when he had an outside strike called and I am sure when Garland was not getting that call he was chirping to the ump.

I noted that our buddy Hunter Weindelstat is on this crew. Lopez I think was the plate guy and he had a wide plate. Cotts was squeezed. Moyer was getting some low calls. Not blaming the umps but I thought it was interesting to see the ump make such a big show of putting AJ in his place.
If by "outside strike" you mean a ball that was about a six inches below his knees and a foot off the plate, then yes. On top of that, it was a 2 strike pitch, though I dont remember if the count was full.
I didn't see the whole game, but from what I saw the umpiring was horrible.

ondafarm
04-25-2006, 04:39 PM
If by "outside strike" you mean a ball that was about a six inches below his knees and a foot off the plate, then yes. On top of that, it was a 2 strike pitch, though I dont remember if the count was full.
I didn't see the whole game, but from what I saw the umpiring was horrible.

I did see the whole game and the umpiring was terrible all the way thru.

jongarlandlover
04-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Guys, I must agree...the home plate ump was horrible last night. He was calling balls strikes and it was just so idiotic.

mmmmmbeeer
04-25-2006, 04:59 PM
In the 9th with Crede and Dye it was ridiculous. Granted it's tough to be extremely accurate given the camera view, but there were balls that looked to be 4-5" off the plate called strikes. It was definitely a wide zone for Moyer all night long, but the 9th just seemed really bad.

Could explain why a team that has just been crushing the ball only put up 2 ER for, what, the 2nd time in 18 games?

Bobbo35
04-25-2006, 05:28 PM
In the 9th with Crede and Dye it was ridiculous. Granted it's tough to be extremely accurate given the camera view, but there were balls that looked to be 4-5" off the plate called strikes. It was definitely a wide zone for Moyer all night long, but the 9th just seemed really bad.

Could explain why a team that has just been crushing the ball only put up 2 ER for, what, the 2nd time in 18 games?

The strikes he was calling on dye was horrible.

ondafarm
04-25-2006, 05:34 PM
The strikes he was calling on dye was horrible.

He was calling like he had an dinner date waiting for him.

JohnBasedowYoda
04-25-2006, 06:32 PM
I have always noticed that the older pitchers always get the calls their way, or at least most of the time. Moyer and Maddux always, always get the calls low and outside.

You're right there; Clemens got the calls too.