PDA

View Full Version : Garland is turning the Corner

Hangar18
04-25-2006, 12:13 PM
he wasnt himself last nite, but anyone that watched, I think he is just about ready to be more consistent. Im feeling a bit better about him (last start notwithstanding)

soxfan13
04-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Didnt look like he had the greatest stuff last night but was nice to see him fight thru it and keep his team in the game. This as opposed to grooving some balls like he did earlier in the young season. Also nice to see BA continue to look more comfortable and quite up some of the BA bashers out there.

VA_GoGoSox
04-25-2006, 12:31 PM
There were points in the game last night where he looked really good and looked to be getting back on track. He was keeping the ball down and started getting lots of downward movement.

However, that homerun he gave up in the first was an absolute meatball...ugh.

soxfan13
04-25-2006, 12:36 PM
There were points in the game last night where he looked really good and looked to be getting back on track. He was keeping the ball down and started getting lots of downward movement.

However, that homerun he gave up in the first was an absolute meatball...ugh.

Yes but before last year and earlier starts this year he would give up 2 or 3 more of those meatballs

Chicken Dinner
04-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think Jon will ever be better than a .500 pitcher.

DaleJRFan
04-25-2006, 12:46 PM
The M's offense looked awful lastnight. Was that because of Jon Garland? I think so. Once he discovered that he could command more than just his fourseamer, he started getting guys out with ease and consistency. He had a wicked change lastnight. Let's hope these two starts get him on a roll.

batmanZoSo
04-25-2006, 01:08 PM

That is unfortunate considering he's already a .515 pitcher and he just came into his own. The fact about Garland is he was called up too early and out of necessity. You can pretty much erase the first three seasons on the back of his card because he just wasn't ready if you ask me. He did a lot of learning on the job that makes it look like he's a mediocre guy who had a career year out of nowhere.

Corlose 15
04-25-2006, 01:11 PM
I thought Jon pitched very well last night. The first inning was shaky but he really settled down through the next 5 or so. Ibanez hits him very well and he rebounded nicely after the HR. I'll take 8IP 3ER any day of the week.

Ol' No. 2
04-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Wow. I must have been watching a different game. The M's offense is not that good. What I saw was an awful lot of the old Judy, almost never pitching inside and trying to stay away from any RH hitter. That's not a prescription for success. He has to use the 2-seam fastball in on the hands to keep hitters from diving across the plate to hit the ones on the outside corners. He served up way too many fat ones. A lot of balls died on the warning track and a team of good hitters would have scored 7-8 runs last night.

sullythered
04-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Wow. I must have been watching a different game. The M's offense is not that good. What I saw was an awful lot of the old Judy, almost never pitching inside and trying to stay away from any RH hitter. That's not a prescription for success. He has to use the 2-seam fastball in on the hands to keep hitters from diving across the plate to hit the ones on the outside corners. He served up way too many fat ones. A lot of balls died on the warning track and a team of good hitters would have scored 7-8 runs last night.

I'll give you the first couple innings, but Jon did, in fact, start throwing inside around the third. I definitely thought he got stronger as the game went on. The M's offense hasn't been playing at a very high level, but they do still have some good hitters.

twsoxfan5
04-25-2006, 01:32 PM
I dont think Jon did horribly last night, but I would also to see him pitch more inside as well. Jon does not seem to have the confidence to go inside so far this year. I remember last year he was sawing off bats left and right. He is going away too much and opposing hitters seem to be catching on.

hawkjt
04-25-2006, 03:05 PM
The m's offense is pretty bad right now. Jon got away with a number of hittable pitches but he hung in there well. He should have been out of there after the 7th inning. I was shocked to see him out there in the 8th against Ibanez who had killed him all nite.

It is ironic after DJ had opined on Sunday about how deep Oz has always gone with his starters even this early in the season that Oz goes with his gut to leave jon in there against a dangerous lefty.

After the homer it was dead silence in the booth. I had expected DJ or hawk to at least acknowledge the possiblilty of removing jon but I think Hawk will not allow second-guessing of oz. No big deal but I am sure DJ would have liked to even first guess the lack of a move. I mean it is the first 3 weeks of the season- to me a little early to be going 8+ innings unless you are dominating and anyone could see that Jon was struggling.

Another thing that I think is interesting is how much DJ and Hawk talk about how Jon is not going inside this year due it lack of confidence ect. All last year they talked about AJ being the one that forced Jon to pitch inside and now they never talk about AJ not forcing him to do it this year.

I would love to know why AJ has changed up? Or is it simply Jon refuses to go inside? Just curious, not critical of anybody.

kevin57
04-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Actually, I think Jon has not changed in terms of ability or potential from Day #1. The big difference with JG is his concentration/focus. When he's zoned in, he's very good. When not, chug another one real fast. Last night he spent some time in that zone, some time out, so you got a decent, but not spectacular performance.

jongarlandlover
04-25-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm sure this surprises no one, but I think Jon looked much better last night. I think he just needs to focus more and he'll get right back to where he was last year.

Chisox003
04-25-2006, 05:57 PM
You really are the worst.

:chickenlittle

Bobbo35
04-25-2006, 06:31 PM
As hawk and DJ were talking about Jon during the game he really does need to pitch in on batters like last year. He was mowing down batters with his inside pitches that jammed and shattered many bats. It all comes down to confidence and soon enough Jon should be back to that form. Coop will get him there.

ondafarm
04-26-2006, 12:50 AM
I think Ozzie told Boone Logan that if he likes the taste of Chicago pizza then he better start throwing strikes. I wouldn't be surprised if the kid was sent down at some point.

GoSox2K3
04-26-2006, 10:47 AM
If Garland's problem is that he just needs to pitch inside more, is that as simple to do as it sounds? I mean I'm sure if this is the consensus among coaches and other baseball experts, that he's well aware of this. So, what's keeping him from pitching inside? Is it that he can't locate his pitches well at this time? Just curious.

By the way, I'm not hitting the panic button on Jon and I'm not calling him "Judy" like some of you guys are quick to do. He's not all-star calliber at this time, but I think he'll be fine.