PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 4/25/06

Hangar18
04-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Mike Kiley does another Cubs PR piece on behalf of Greg Maddux. Kiley seems miffed that his long time hero Maddux is being ridiculed by NL Hitters, and being accused of getting (he does by the way) a much more favorable strike zone than other pitchers, and puts out an article that makes it look like the NL hitters are whining and playing games. Kiley again continues to applaud Derrek Lee for being "a leader" simply by sitting in the dugout. Good Journalism there Kileys game report was merely a PR piece for fans to stop booing Jones. Kiley never mentions a Marlin by name (except sp Vargas)
and just mentions how the cubs got numerous hits in the 8th.

Cowleys story about Everett and the SOX today seems much ado about nothing, and a try to make the SOX look bad again. Cowleys game report was a bit negatively slanted, but still very good. Garland struggled throughout the game, but Kept himself in it like a veteran, which is what we'd like to see and Cowley pointed out. He also did a good job putting McCarthys quote in there, because it summed up the loss perfectly. McCarthys pitch was very good, and they just got a very good hit, hats off to the M's, McCarthy had a nice quote "Id rather be beaten on a pitch where I wanted it, than a half bleeped pitch that he crushes". Its exactly what I thought when Betancourts hit got thru .......... nice job of hitting.

Also big news yesterday and today, in another thread there was speculation the sorry bogus Marlins are about to let Cabrera and Willis go in another salary/talent dump, and most here said it was crazy, but The Score had the same speculation yesterday afternoon with the talk being of Miguel Cabrera becoming a Cub and how great " a fit" he would be in the lineup behind Derrek Lee. I thought it amazing we just had the conversation here, and the radio already has started the rumors. Also, Paul Sullivan has begun tampering openly for the Cubs by blatantly asking him if he'd like to come back to the team that "drafted him", making Willis feel like he owed the Cubs something for drafting him.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, and winning their first world series in 88 years, the White Sox inexplicably find themselves being continually ignored and misrepresented by a local media, that for some bizarre and disturbing reason, has chosen to favor a team with extra and more positive coverage, and that finished in 4th place last season, has ZERO 90 win seasons since 1990, has only 3 90 win seasons since 1950, and has generally been one of the more miserable and inept franchises for the better part of a century.

Chicago Tribune:
4 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories

Standings as of Tuesday April 25th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005 Cubs 331
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 2005 SOX 292

Hangar18
04-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Last nites ESPN cub cast was Atrocious.

skottyj242
04-25-2006, 10:23 AM
We did play at late game last night so the lack of stories at least today can somewhat be justified.

daveeym
04-25-2006, 10:51 AM
We did play at late game last night so the lack of stories at least today can somewhat be justified.Heck the stories are almost even, that's a big improvement over the past. However, let's see how it goes for the rest of the week.

Hangar18
04-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Last nites ESPN cub cast was Atrocious.

You wouldve thought this was the cubs playing themselves, as the announcers Dave (something) and Rick Sutcliffe, just for the life of them,
could not stop talking about wrigley, the field, the fans, the team, the "history", and thru the broadcast kept referring to it as the "friendly confines", and seemed miffed that the Marlins were in control the entire game til the bullpen blew it. They did puff pieces on all the cub players
and talked incessantly about Barret being a Bears fan. They kept talking about what it must be like for someone to play on that field day in and day out (as if its mecca of some sort) and then mentioned how "the young Marlins must feel, one day in AA, next day playing at Wrigley Field, the same field Babe Ruth played on" :angry: Ruth was a Yankees player.

Hangar18
04-25-2006, 11:12 AM
"they score EIGHT runs in the bottom of the eighth to win 6-3" -ESPN broadcasters

Dan Mega
04-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Where have you been lately Hangar? I miss your media watch posts.

MUsoxfan
04-30-2006, 05:25 PM
Where have you been lately Hangar? I miss your media watch posts.

I believe he's in SoCal right now for the games

Hangar18
04-30-2006, 05:28 PM
I believe he's in SoCal right now for the games

YES, I was in Anaheim for the games. I just got back a little while ago.
It was a blast out there I'll post more later. I was hoping someone wouldve taken the reins of the NM Watch while i was away .....:smile:

MarySwiss
04-30-2006, 05:34 PM
It was a blast out there I'll post more later. I was hoping someone wouldve taken the reins of the NM Watch while i was away .....:smile:
Okay, Hangar; I give up! How are you back already when the game ended less than an hour ago? Transported? Or did--as I suspect--you not go to today's game? :D:

Dan Mega
04-30-2006, 05:35 PM

I didn't want to steal your thunder :wink: