PDA

View Full Version : What happened with Keith Hernandez?

pythons007
04-25-2006, 10:00 AM
I've been hearing about a situation with Keith Hernandez and Kelly Calabrese. What happened with these two? All I know is that she was apparently in a dugout and Keith Hernandez made a comment about women don't belong or something to that nature. I believe this isn't the first time for Keith to make a sexist remark. Could someone please let me know what actually happened?

SouthSide_HitMen
04-25-2006, 10:17 AM
http://www.justformen.com/images/assets/pho_keith.jpg

Come on I won the MVP in 79. I can do whatever I want to.

ondafarm
04-25-2006, 10:19 AM
I've been hearing about a situation with Keith Hernandez and Kelly Calabrese. What happened with these two? All I know is that she was apparently in a dugout and Keith Hernandez made a comment about women don't belong or something to that nature. I believe this isn't the first time for Keith to make a sexist remark. Could someone please let me know what actually happened?

Hernandez was doing the Mets broadcast. This was discussed in the "massage therapist" thread.

ondafarm
04-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Here's a link to the SI story.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/04/24/calabrese.hernandez/index.html?cnn=yes

peeonwrigley
04-25-2006, 11:10 AM
My uncle lives in New York, huge Mets fan. One of his all time favorite jokes:

How do you know Keith Hernandez is running to first base?

The white line disappears behind him.

Irishsox1
04-25-2006, 11:12 AM
I love how Hernandez has a problem with a women trainer in the dugout but had no problem with smoking cigarettes in the dugout! I remember seeing him in the dugout in the 1986 world series smoking away.

PatK
04-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Doesn't seem that bad to me.

Then again, I'm pretty un-PC.

gobears1987
04-25-2006, 11:30 AM
anyone remember "The Boyfriend" episode of Seinfeld.

Justagirl
04-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Could someone please let me know what actually happened?
Gee, Id love to, but I have a pie in the oven right now.

RKMeibalane
04-25-2006, 11:38 AM

As was mentioned, Hernandez was working the Mets broadcast Saturday night in San Diego. Mike Piazza hit a home run, and was seen in the dugout celebrating with Kelly Calabrese soon afterwards. Hernandez said that he didn't like the fact that she was in the dugout, even though she is a member of the Padres training staff.

Baby Fisk
04-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Now THAT was an upper deck shot. :cool:

longshot7
04-25-2006, 12:52 PM

"Back.... and to the right. Back..... and to the right."

QCIASOXFAN
04-25-2006, 01:08 PM
He was just saying what most of us were afraid to. Very very afraid too.

Justagirl
04-25-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I definately get what he was trying to say and I agree- but as a public announcer you have to be extra careful what you say..unless youre prepared for pandemonium.

Jerko
04-25-2006, 01:18 PM

:roflmao:Good one.

Layla
04-25-2006, 01:43 PM
If we don't belong in the kitchen, somebody please tell my husband.

I'm tired of cooking dinner every night.

lumpyspun
04-25-2006, 01:58 PM
I wonder what Hernandez thinks of Tom Hanks in the dugout of the Rockford Peaches?
http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/leagueoftheirown/alotowncastbig.jpg

PaulDrake
04-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I do 99% of the cooking. When we had kids in the house I did about 90-95%.

Layla
04-25-2006, 02:10 PM
I do 100% of the cooking. And the cleaning. And the laundry.

Sheesh, I'd rather be in the dugout.:D:

Palehose13
04-25-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm pretty disappointed by a lot of these responses. She is part of the training staff, why shouldn't she be in the dugout? It's not like she was in the clubhouse shower with them. :rolleyes:

Jerko
04-25-2006, 03:06 PM
She belongs in a dugout more than this guy does:

http://www.sun-inet.or.jp/%7Emlbddf/2003allstargame_darren_baker.jpg

Nice 2003 All Star Patch too. Did I boo him that night, or just Manuel? :rolleyes:

1951Campbell
04-25-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm pretty disappointed by a lot of these responses. She is part of the training staff, why shouldn't she be in the dugout? It's not like she was in the clubhouse shower with them. :rolleyes:

I think if it was a problem, the Padres themselves would have put a stop to it.

Palehose13
04-25-2006, 03:16 PM
I think if it was a problem, the Padres themselves would have put a stop to it.

You know Camp, you tend to come up with the right answers. :smile:

1951Campbell
04-25-2006, 03:19 PM
You know Camp, you tend to come up with the right answers. :smile:

Yes. Yes I do. :D:

MarySwiss
04-25-2006, 03:19 PM

I was disappointed as well, PH, but I'm mellow for some reason today. Plus I figure, what's the use? People who agree with Hernandez's remark probably would not be swayed by anything I said anyway.

1951Campbell
04-25-2006, 03:22 PM
I was disappointed as well, PH, but I'm mellow for some reason today. Plus I figure, what's the use? People who agree with Hernandez's remark probably would not be swayed by anything I said anyway.

Seriously, though...I have to wonder how soon her title will change from "trainer" to "plaintiff." Maybe it's my lawyer's cynicism, but...

MarySwiss
04-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Seriously, though...I have to wonder how soon her title will change from "trainer" to "plaintiff." Maybe it's my lawyer's cynicism, but...

I wouldn't be surprised, although she seemed, from all I've read, to be taking the high road. At least so far.

1951Campbell
04-25-2006, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, although she seemed, from all I've read, to be taking the high road. At least so far.

Well, that's good.

Baby Fisk
04-25-2006, 03:26 PM
If the manager has given his approval, then there's no issue here (unless people like Keith Hernandez can't resist making an issue out of it).

MarySwiss
04-25-2006, 03:39 PM
If the manager has given his approval, then there's no issue here (unless people like Keith Hernandez can't resist making an issue out of it).
Actually, I believe Bochy was one of the first to call out Hernandez on his remark.

daveeym
04-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Seriously, though...I have to wonder how soon her title will change from "trainer" to "plaintiff." Maybe it's my lawyer's cynicism, but... :?: Keith has no connection to the Padres so I'm at a loss as to what the cause of action would be. Failure to be PC? If there's any success there you'll next have the ACLU suing on behalf of the Geico Cavemen for Neanderthal descrimination. "I'll have the Roast Duck with the Mango Salsa."

Jerko
04-25-2006, 03:48 PM
I think the trainer already made a few jokes about it. Yes, it was insensitive for Hernandez to make that remark but this country needs some thicker skin when it comes to this kind of stuff IMO. Everybody seems to be more upset about this than the target was/is.

Justagirl
04-25-2006, 04:14 PM
I think the trainer already made a few jokes about it. Yes, it was insensitive for Hernandez to make that remark but this country needs some thicker skin when it comes to this kind of stuff IMO. Everybody seems to be more upset about this than the target was/is.
Exactly.
Plus, it's just his opinion..he's not the voice of all that is right and moral in this world..hes a sport announcer. Who really cares?

DumpJerry
04-25-2006, 04:21 PM
So Hernandez was questioning why a certain person was in the Padres' dugout. Well, there were times when I was questioning why Jerry Manuel was in the Sox dugout.......

Layla
04-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Exactly.
Plus, it's just his opinion..he's not the voice of all that is right and moral in this world..hes a sport announcer. Who really cares?

I think the point is that how could anyone in the year 2006 make such an idiotic comment like that? If it was a player's son, (like someone posted Baker's son) would he have said "what's that kid doing in the dugout? This is a man's game."

Second, how well did he do his homework for the broadcast if he did not know the Padres had a female member on their training staff?

1951Campbell
04-25-2006, 04:30 PM
:?: Keith has no connection to the Padres so I'm at a loss as to what the cause of action would be. Failure to be PC? If there's any success there you'll next have the ACLU suing on behalf of the Geico Cavemen for Neanderthal descrimination. "I'll have the Roast Duck with the Mango Salsa."

I was referring to the likelihood that a player will say/do something dumb to her. Or, the possibility that she'll realize that a fat settlement from the Padres is a better way to pay the bills than rubbing sweaty calves, at which point she magically feels "harassed."

cbotnyse
04-25-2006, 04:47 PM
KEITH: Ya know I hate to brag but, uh, I did win eleven straight golden gloves.
ELAINE: [chuckles]
KEITH: I wouldn't have brought it up but since you mentioned it.
ELAINE: Ha, I didn't mention it.
KEITH: Well I won them anyway.
ELAINE: Well so what. I mean you played first base. I mean they always put the worst
player on first base. That's were they put me and I stunk.
KEITH: Elaine. you don't know the first thing about first base.
ELAINE: ha ha well I know something about getting to first base. And I know you'll
never be there.
KEITH: The way I figure it I've already been there and I plan on rounding second
tonight at around eleven o'clock.
ELAINE: Well, uh, I'd watch the third base coach if I were you 'cause I don't think he's
waving you in. You know I hate to say this but I think we're really hitting it off. Get
it? Get it?
KEITH: Funny.

RadioheadRocks
04-25-2006, 05:27 PM
I always thought Keith Hernandez was a major prick anyway, so this really doesn't surprise me.

I remember an article in the old Baseball Hobby News from about 20 years ago which reported on bad or disappointing experiences with professional athletes at baseball card show autograph signings. One of them mentioned a show where Hernandez was set to appear at a card signing but blew it off because he "didn't ****ing feel like it." :angry:

MarySwiss
04-25-2006, 05:44 PM
I think the point is that how could anyone in the year 2006 make such an idiotic comment like that? If it was a player's son, (like someone posted Baker's son) would he have said "what's that kid doing in the dugout? This is a man's game."

Second, how well did he do his homework for the broadcast if he did not know the Padres had a female member on their training staff?

Both good points, Layla. I personally have gotten better at blowing off sexist comments by simply considering the source. Usually, it's someone who isn't worthy of serious consideration anyway.

However, I must admit that, although sexist remarks by "talking heads" such as Hernandez don't bother me much, I am, as PH13 said, disappointed when people on this list, who would be appalled--and quite rightly so--at remarks that disparage a group based on race or ethnicity seem to think it's okay to make this kind of crack about members of other groups.

I'm still feeling mellow, so I'll stop right there. :cool:

TheDarkGundam
04-25-2006, 05:47 PM
http://www.xenafan.com/seinfeld/newman.jpg
"I despise Keith Hernandez!"

TornLabrum
04-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Both good points, Layla. I personally have gotten better at blowing off sexist comments by simply considering the source. Usually, it's someone who isn't worthy of serious consideration anyway.

However, I must admit that, although sexist remarks by "talking heads" such as Hernandez don't bother me much, I am, as PH13 said, disappointed when people on this list, who would be appalled--and quite rightly so--at remarks that disparage a group based on race or ethnicity seem to think it's okay to make this kind of crack about members of other groups.

The thing that bugs me about those comments is the excuse that they're fed up with having to be politically correct. This is supposed to give them an excuse to make or defend any stupid, sexist or racist comment they feel like making. That, of course, is ********.

MarySwiss
04-25-2006, 06:18 PM
The thing that bugs me about those comments is the excuse that they're fed up with having to be politically correct. This is supposed to give them an excuse to make or defend any stupid, sexist or racist comment they feel like making. That, of course, is ********.Thanks, Hal. You've nailed it. I couldn't agree more. On my annoy-o-meter, this ranks right up there with people who "apologize" by saying "I'm sorry if you were offended," thus making it the fault of the person who was offended. The proper apology, of course, is "I'm sorry I was offensive."
Someone needs to tell these people that it shouldn't be about having to be politically correct; it should be about acting like a mature, reasonably intelligent human being. In which case, the state of mind derided as "political correctness" will just happen naturally. I know, how naive of me.
Guess I'm done being mellow for today, huh? :D:

chaerulez
04-25-2006, 06:21 PM
She belongs in a dugout more than this guy does:

http://www.sun-inet.or.jp/%7Emlbddf/2003allstargame_darren_baker.jpg

Nice 2003 All Star Patch too. Did I boo him that night, or just Manuel? :rolleyes:

I agree.

You'd think after the incident where J.T. Snow had to pull him out of harm's way, Baker would realize young children really have no business in a major league dugout.

VA_GoGoSox
04-25-2006, 07:02 PM
I was referring to the likelihood that a player will say/do something dumb to her. Or, the possibility that she'll realize that a fat settlement from the Padres is a better way to pay the bills than rubbing sweaty calves, at which point she magically feels "harassed."

This is the first thing I thought of. And not necessarily because anyone would do anything to her, but because guys being guys in a clubhouse/dugout setting could unintentionally create a "hostile work environment" for a female pretty quick.

But hey, if the Padres are willing to take that risk, more power to 'em.

1951Campbell
04-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks, Hal. You've nailed it. I couldn't agree more. On my annoy-o-meter, this ranks right up there with people who "apologize" by saying "I'm sorry if you were offended," thus making it the fault of the person who was offended. The proper apology, of course, is "I'm sorry I was offensive."
Someone needs to tell these people that it shouldn't be about having to be politically correct; it should be about acting like a mature, reasonably intelligent human being. In which case, the state of mind derided as "political correctness" will just happen naturally. I know, how naive of me.
Guess I'm done being mellow for today, huh? :D:

Funny, so many times my status as a mature, reasonably intelligent human being results in remarks that have others fishing for an apology.

That...plus I'm glib.

1951Campbell
04-25-2006, 07:11 PM
This is the first thing I thought of. And not necessarily because anyone would do anything to her, but because guys being guys in a clubhouse/dugout setting could unintentionally create a "hostile work environment" for a female pretty quick.

Yeah, the Padres' corporate counsel has cojones of steel to sign off on that one.

Palehose13
04-25-2006, 07:47 PM

What mildly upsets me isn't what Hernandez said, he has every right to say idiotic things like that, it is that there appears to be members of the board who agree with him that a woman shouldn't be in the dugout. I had thought that I found the upper crust of Sox fans here and for the most part, many are a class act, I guess every ecosystem has to have its bottom feeders... :cool:

Layla
04-25-2006, 07:53 PM
What mildly upsets me isn't what Hernandez said, he has every right to say idiotic things like that, it is that there appears to be members of the board who agree with him that a woman shouldn't be in the dugout. I had thought that I found the upper crust of Sox fans here and for the most part, many are a class act, I guess every ecosystem has to have its bottom feeders... :cool:

I originally didn't respond to this thread for that reason. I was more than surprised when I read a couple of comments.

But I have to take exception to the lawsuits, how the Padres have to have cajones of steel, etc. The Padres might have actually had faith that their players would be grown ups and let the woman do her job. The players might have thought I don't care man or woman, as long as he/she can do the job and do it well.

TornLabrum
04-25-2006, 08:25 PM
I originally didn't respond to this thread for that reason. I was more than surprised when I read a couple of comments.

But I have to take exception to the lawsuits, how the Padres have to have cajones of steel, etc. The Padres might have actually had faith that their players would be grown ups and let the woman do her job. The players might have thought I don't care man or woman, as long as he/she can do the job and do it well.

And wouldn't it be hilarious if a bunch of dumb jocks were more mature than the users of this board?

1951Campbell
04-25-2006, 09:53 PM

I admire your faith in human nature but even my limited amount of time practicing law makes me wary.

daveeym
04-26-2006, 09:17 AM
I admire your faith in human nature but even my limited amount of time practicing law makes me wary. The fact is both sides are right (as far as potential lawsuits, not the "should be in a kitchen").

I've seen female trainers on the sidelines, in the dugouts next to me, at practices, set up in the small training room inside the locker room etc. with no problems at all. I've also seen them getting into relationships with players. I haven't seen a lawsuit result of it personally but they do happen.

I'd imagine the odds of a sexual harassment lawsuit by a female trainer are as good as a wrongful termination lawsuit or something similar by a male trainer.

The reason it's a bigger deal is because these potential cases make a media splash, there are specialized laws involved that over time have become weapons rather than remedies, and the stigma that goes with it. You read wrongful termination and you skip the rest of the article. You read sexual harassment you finish the article and the Padres are scum from top to bottom.

miker
04-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Is she shower-worthy?

Palehose13
04-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Is she shower-worthy?

She wouldn't have to ask me twice. :wink:

Chisox1500
04-27-2006, 10:14 PM
It has pretty much been established that Hernandez was joking when he said his comments. Too bad they don't have teal for spoken word. It's an overblown non-issue.

Palehose13
04-27-2006, 10:19 PM
It has pretty much been established that Hernandez was joking when he said his comments. Too bad they don't have teal for spoken word. It's an overblown non-issue.

Yeah, ok...

The thing about teal is that it is needed because of the lack of voice inflection while writing.

Layla
04-29-2006, 06:24 PM

I heard the replay and have to disagree. I don't think he was joking.

TheDarkGundam
04-29-2006, 06:44 PM
When was this established?
I saw the clip of him saying it, it certainly didn't sound like he was joking.
Whoever his partner in the booth was tried to get him to take it back, or just drop the "issue" entirely, and he wouldn't do it.

MarySwiss
04-29-2006, 07:01 PM
I heard the replay and have to disagree. I don't think he was joking.
And even if he had been, that doesn't absolve him of all responsibility. Or make it a "non-issue."

fquaye149
04-29-2006, 07:07 PM

"I'm not saying children belong in the sandbox...but suffice to say they don't belong in the dugout"

"just kidding, kids, you know I love Barney..."

MarySwiss
04-29-2006, 08:31 PM
"I'm not saying children belong in the sandbox...but suffice to say they don't belong in the dugout"

"just kidding, kids, you know I love Barney..."

:thumbsup:
Considering the rough start we got off to, I have come to really appreciate you, pal!

Layla
04-29-2006, 08:34 PM
And even if he had been, that doesn't absolve him of all responsibility. Or make it a "non-issue."

Exactly.