PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know a person like this?

spongyfungy
04-25-2006, 07:26 AM
I hope I'm not spamming but you may lose some brain cells reading this. (http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=230673)
I suggest you read this only if you have time. otherwise, skip it.

It's a messageboard thread about best pitching staffs in baseball but it quickly turned into some guy talking nonsense about winning is the only thing that matters and ERA has nothing to do with how good a pitcher.
The guy is yankee fan as well.

I know a couple yankee fans and they are pretty cocky but this guy is delusional.

scottjanssens
04-25-2006, 11:02 AM
I hope I'm not spamming but you may lose some brain cells reading this. (http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=230673)
I suggest you read this only if you have time. otherwise, skip it.

It's a messageboard thread about best pitching staffs in baseball but it quickly turned into some guy talking nonsense about winning is the only thing that matters and ERA has nothing to do with how good a pitcher.
The guy is yankee fan as well.

I know a couple yankee fans and they are pretty cocky but this guy is delusional.

Didn't read the thread, but ERAs can be very misleading for relievers as they're not penalized for allowing another pitcher's runners to score. Wins can be a misleading stat as well. A pitcher on a team with a lousy bullpen will post fewer wins than he might otherwise.

I'm partial to WHIP as a decent stat for quick and dirty comparisons between all pitchers. In addition, for relievers I look at inherited runners and inherited runners scored.

PatK
04-25-2006, 11:28 AM
ERA's need to be adjusted by ballpark.

A 3.0 ERA at the Cell is not the same as a 3.0 ERA where the Tigers play.

miker
04-26-2006, 05:34 PM
ERA's need to be adjusted by ballpark.

A 3.0 ERA at the Cell is not the same as a 3.0 ERA where the Tigers play.
Very true, but most smart baseball fans (as opposed to media) know that.