PDA

View Full Version : Pods hitting streak?

lizard6king6
04-25-2006, 01:18 AM
Stupid question, but i know Pods had a hitting streak going. He did not start tonight or get an AB but did play the field later. So does his hit streak still continue since he did not get an AB, I know its only 8 games so far but I was just curious.

voodoochile
04-25-2006, 01:23 AM
I am pretty sure this ends it, but I admit I am not sure.

He played, he failed to get a hit. It's over.

Scottiehaswheels
04-25-2006, 01:26 AM
I don't think it is.... He never got an official at bat... Streaks don't end like that... I don't even think they end if you get say 4 walks in a game although I might be incorrect about that

voodoochile
04-25-2006, 01:27 AM
I don't think it is.... He never got an official at bat... Streaks don't end like that... I don't even think they end if you get say 4 walks in a game although I might be incorrect about that

I know that second part is wrong because that is how Rose lost his streak - 41 or whatever games, the second longest in MLB history.

Scottiehaswheels
04-25-2006, 01:28 AM
I know that second part is wrong because that is how Rose lost his streak - 41 or whatever games I'd be pissed.... Now what if they were all intentional walks? I mean its not like you can step across the plate to swing to try to get a hit....

ilsox7
04-25-2006, 01:29 AM
I'd be pissed.... Now what if they were all intentional walks? I mean its not like you can step across the plate to swing to try to get a hit....

Doesn't matter.

nedlug
04-25-2006, 01:32 AM
Doesn't matter.

Hah, what if the Sox did that to some other team in the division (or the Cubs) just to spite them? How would you all fell about that - 4 IBB to a Derrek Lee on a 40-game hit streak?

voodoochile
04-25-2006, 01:35 AM
Hah, what if the Sox did that to some other team in the division (or the Cubs) just to spite them? How would you all fell about that - 4 IBB to a Derrek Lee on a 40-game hit streak?

People were actually rooting for this to happen to Barroid a few weeks ago, so whatever, it's part of the game. If you let the best player on the other team beat you, you deserve to lose.

Some guys just need to be walked and btw, no, the walks to Rose were not intentional, IIRC.

Scottiehaswheels
04-25-2006, 01:37 AM
from the official MLB rules book

GUIDELINES FOR CUMULATIVE PERFORMANCE RECORDS
CONSECUTIVE HITTING STREAKS. (a) A consecutive hitting streak shall not be terminated if the plate appearance results in a base on balls, hit batsman, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt. A sacrifice fly shall terminate the streak. (b) CONSECUTIVE GAME HITTING STREAKS. A consecutive game hitting streak shall not be terminated if all the player's plate appearances (one or more) result in a base on balls, hit batsman, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt. The streak shall terminate if the player has a sacrifice fly and no hit.

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/official_scorer_10.jsp

Corlose 15
04-25-2006, 01:37 AM
Isn't there a difference though between no official at bats and no plate appearances?

voodoochile
04-25-2006, 01:38 AM

CONSECUTIVE HITTING STREAKS. (a) A consecutive hitting streak shall not be terminated if the plate appearance results in a base on balls, hit batsman, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt. A sacrifice fly shall terminate the streak. (b) CONSECUTIVE GAME HITTING STREAKS. A consecutive game hitting streak shall not be terminated if all the player's plate appearances (one or more) result in a base on balls, hit batsman, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt. The streak shall terminate if the player has a sacrifice fly and no hit.

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/official_scorer_10.jsp

Wow, they must have changed that rule, because I remember the Rose situation clearly, of course I've been wrong before too... Maybe someone else can correct me if that is the case.

ilsox7
04-25-2006, 01:38 AM

Wow. I have to admit I am shocked by this one.

Scottiehaswheels
04-25-2006, 01:40 AM
I looked.. unfortunately they don't show addendums dates.... perhaps the rule was changed following the Rose incident just for situations like that?

I mean the Dimaggio hitting streak would never be broken if that were the case... Some guy would/could get to 55 games and then the opposing team would just walk him all day? Not fair by any stretch of the imagination

voodoochile
04-25-2006, 01:41 AM
I looked.. unfortunately they don't show addendums dates.... perhaps the rule was changed following the Rose incident just for situations like that?

Honestly, I maybe wrong, perhaps he was 0-3 and walked his final at bat, but I could have sworn it was 4 walks. I am 99% sure it ended with his final at bat being a walk, but am going off of memory and remember seeing it live for whatever reason.

bnlfanmatt
04-25-2006, 03:41 AM
Pete Rose Consecutive Games Hitting Streak
(http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats13.shtml)

At the bottom it addresses how the streak ended. 1 walk, 3 line outs, and a strikeout. He was mad (actually addressed in the beginning) because they didn't challenge him with fastballs.

Mr. White Sox
04-25-2006, 04:14 AM
Before reading those rules, I was positive that hitting streaks don't end until you get an official at-bat. So, walks/HBP/sac bunts don't count. It's interesting, however, that a sac fly with no hits results in an ended streak, but then you're actually swinging the bat and trying to get a hit, but you're flying out. Makes sense to me.

Of course, it would piss a player off (and all fans of baseball) if a hitting streak ended from an 0/1 performance (or a sac fly) followed by 3 walks or something of that nature.

MISoxfan
04-25-2006, 11:43 AM
I remember hearing that DiMaggio once got a hit during his streak during an attempted IBB.

Gammons Peter
04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Pete Rose Consecutive Games Hitting Streak
(http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats13.shtml)

He was mad (actually addressed in the beginning) because they didn't challenge him with fastballs.

F him, he was mad because he probably had money on extending his streak