It's Time
04-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Just like last year, 8 is enough.

peeonwrigley
04-25-2006, 01:18 AM
Fitting end to a ****ty sports night.

voodoochile
04-25-2006, 01:18 AM
Well, at least the Kitties lost too and the Toons were off...

Coulda shoulda woulda...

PeteWard
04-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Just like last year, 8 is enough.

8 more starting tomorrow.

Mr. White Sox
I don't know about the IBB to Reed, but I could obviously see why it was done from a baseball standpoint. Righty/Righty matchup...Betancourt hitting .429 over the homestand though.

Still, a nice streak, good for BA, and let's get 'em tomorrow.

It's Time
Brian with the big fly to tie it but it was not enough. This WC crap has to end tomorrow.

Unregistered
1. Brian Anderson is still my hero. What's more clutch than a game-tying HR in the 9th with 2 outs and 2 strikes?

2. At least it wasn't Jeremy Reed who hit the GW-single.

3. Time for another 8-game win streak.

wsoxfan
that lineup tonight was crap! :angry: I can understand resting one or maybe even two of the regulars but we should not have to see a starting outfield of Ozuna, Anderson, and Mackowiak unless it's spring training ...

ShoelessJoeS
8 more starting tomorrow.
Exactly, we can't expect to win many games by scoring only 3 runs anyways.

TaylorStSox
04-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Garland pitched well and BA came up huge. We just came up a little short tonight. It's not that big of a deal.

oeo
04-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Tough loss, was right at our fingertips, just couldn't put it away. That's alright, we'll just have to come out tomorrow and start another streak.

QCIASOXFAN
04-25-2006, 01:21 AM
8 more starting tomorrow. That sounds like a plan.

TaylorStSox
I wonder if this is one of those road trips where we may see the ban on "greenies" show a little. They had to be tired tonight.

gbergman
hopefulley another 8 begins tomorow

HomeFish
04-25-2006, 01:22 AM
Ozzie left Garland in too long. Plain and simple.

TaylorStSox
04-25-2006, 01:24 AM

LOL. He had no problem in the rest of that inning. It had nothing to do with Ozzie. Ibanez is a good hitter.

PeteWard
04-25-2006, 01:24 AM
I wonder if this is one of those road trips where we may see the ban on "greenies" show a little. They had to be tired tonight.

I assume you mean those green M&Ms?

voodoochile
04-25-2006, 01:26 AM

No, the Sox just got beat. You want to blame someone, blame the hitters for not being more patient with Moyer all game long. No excuse for losing to that washed up junkballer...

Corlose 15
that lineup tonight was crap! :angry: I can understand resting one or maybe even two of the regulars but we should not have to see a starting outfield of Ozuna, Anderson, and Mackowiak unless it's spring training ...

Dye and Crede are both historically awful against Moyer so I can see Ozzie's move there. Ozuna played pretty well.

This game was an absolute perfect example of the Sox on the west coast the last couple years. Offense is rolling going in and gets shut down by a washed up junkballer. They don't score enough runs, blow a lead, and lose in extras.

Anderson's home run was a breath of fresh air. As long as they win the next two I'm alright w/ it. Then they can go spank the Angels and Indians.

ilsox7
LOL. He had no problem in the rest of that inning. It had nothing to do with Ozzie. Ibanez is a good hitter.
Yea, but the Dark Clouds haven't been able to come out for over a week, so they are going to nitpick every little thing and reaffirm to us that they have zero baseball knowledge.

PeteWard
04-25-2006, 01:27 AM
No, the Sox just got beat. You want to blame someone, blame the hitters for not being more patient with Moyer all game long. No excuse for losing to that washed up junkballer...

6,7,8 hitters hurt tonight.

HomeFish
04-25-2006, 01:27 AM

The Sox have always struggled with junkballers.

mrs. hendu
04-25-2006, 01:30 AM
hopefulley another 8 begins tomorow
I was just about to write this. :smile:

voodoochile
04-25-2006, 01:30 AM
The Sox have always struggled with junkballers.

You say this like it's just a fact that no matter who the Sox have on their team, the slow stuff is the answer.

I think this is a case of perception becoming reality. We remember the times the Sox got beat by the junkballers, but fail to remember the times they spanked them, because of course we only remember the bad aberrations.

A few years ago, the Sox smoked Moyer for like 12 runs or something. It was ugly and brutal to be an M's fan that day.

Tonight they were just letting Moyer dictate the situation by swinging at the fastballs up and the breaking balls in the dirt. You got to sit on his curve and change up and dare him to beat you with the fast ball. The Sox failed to do that and they missed some opportunities.

Chisox1500
04-25-2006, 01:31 AM
Wow. What a way to be reminded that Pods has no arm. Tough loss to a bad team. Feels worse than it really is though.

Chisox003
You know what? I'm absolutely PISSED right now we lost that game.

But it just hit me...we, as White Sox fans, have become so spoiled and accustom to winning, that it comes as an absolute shock when we lose. We're simply not used to it.

So the fact that this loss hurts so much I think is a good sign.

Let's start a new streak tomorrow, eh?

:gulp:

PeteWard
Was following on Gamecast. Seemed like the Sox hit a lot deep outs. Were they close to HRs or just long fly balls?

TaylorStSox
04-25-2006, 01:32 AM
Wow. What a way to be reminded that Pods has no arm. Tough loss to a bad team. Feels worse than it really is though.

Nobody was throwing Bloomquist out on that play.

voodoochile
04-25-2006, 01:33 AM
Was following on Gamecast. Seemed like the Sox hit a lot deep outs. Were they close to HRs or just long fly balls?

Sox hit some serious bombs that didn't leave the park, but so did the M's. Thome just missed on to straight away CF, got under it just a touch. If Crede's rope to the fence in the 11th is 5 feet higher, it's in the seats easily.

Just one of those nights.

Corlose 15

Crede hit one to the wall in right in the top of the 8th. Thome smoked one to deep center. Konerko may have had a long one too

oeo

The lineup really wasn't that bad...we just didn't come up with hits. I can't believe you're honestly angry about this. Do you realize that they weren't going to win every game or what? We got beat, no excuses, we'll get them tomorrow.

Corlose 15
04-25-2006, 01:35 AM
I really like the way AJ is swinging the bat right now. No homers yet but he's bumping that average up again. Hopefully he stays around the .280-.300 mark that he's been at most of his career.

Mr. White Sox
04-25-2006, 01:41 AM
Nobody was throwing Bloomquist out on that play.

Bloomquist had one of these:
http://www.cryptokids.com/images/teleporter.jpg

TheOldRoman
04-25-2006, 01:42 AM
This may have escaped you, but Anderson is the starting centerfielder. He is going to play most of the games. ****ing dark clouds are bitching that Anderson played on a night he hit a homerun! Unbelievable.

TaylorStSox
04-25-2006, 01:44 AM
Jurrasic's AB leads to the winning run. That's kind of ironic.

TheOldRoman
04-25-2006, 01:45 AM
The lineup really wasn't that bad...we just didn't come up with hits. I can't believe you're honestly angry about this. Do you realize that they weren't going to win every game or what? We got beat, no excuses, we'll get them tomorrow. Everything you say is good, but I don't agree with the bold. The Sox gave this game away. They played a horrible team who wasn't scoring any runs, and did nothing against a crappy pitcher. The Sox should have won this game 5 times over.
However, we are going to lose probably 50-60 more games. It's all good. We should destroy them tomorrow.

ilsox7
04-25-2006, 01:46 AM
Jurrasic's AB leads to the winning run. That's kind of ironic.

Yea and unfortunately our positioning beat us there. But that happens and our positioning will help us more often than not. Just didn't work out tonight.

0o0o0
04-25-2006, 01:46 AM
This may have escaped you, but Anderson is the starting centerfielder. He is going to play most of the games. ****ing dark clouds are bitching that Anderson played on a night he hit a homerun! Unbelievable.
He never said Anderson should have been benched

TaylorStSox
04-25-2006, 01:48 AM
Yea and unfortunately our positioning beat us there. But that happens and our positioning will help us more often than not. Just didn't work out tonight.

:hawk

"That's why I love this game."

:DJ

":rolleyes:"

0o0o0
04-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Everything you say is good, but I don't agree with the bold. The Sox gave this game away. They played a horrible team who wasn't scoring any runs, and did nothing against a crappy pitcher. The Sox should have won this game 5 times over.
However, we are going to lose probably 50-60 more games. It's all good. We should destroy them tomorrow.
And try giving the other team credit once in awhile. Cockiness can be really annoying.

TheOldRoman
04-25-2006, 01:51 AM
And try giving the other team credit once in awhile. Cockiness can be really annoying. Any team can beat any other team on any given day. I understand that, but it doesn't change the fact that we are really good and the Mariners blow.
We had lots of chances today, but didn't capitalize. We should have won this game, but no team comes through 100% of the time. No biggie.

lumpyspun
04-25-2006, 01:52 AM
Just got back from the game. What a downer. Pretty decent showing of Sox fans though. Nothing signifcant to report other than that.

Except for the guy next to me that was telling everyone, "Iguchi came over from Japan a few years ago and broke out big with the Mets."

TaylorStSox
04-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Any team can beat any other team on any given day. I understand that, but it doesn't change the fact that we are really good and the Mariners blow.
We had lots of chances today, but didn't capitalize. We should have won this game, but no team comes through 100% of the time. No biggie.

Baseball's stupid like that. Even the worst teams win 50-70 games. It's a long season for a reason. I like to rhyme...:?:.

chisox117
04-25-2006, 01:57 AM

Ibanez is a good hitter who happens to posess a career avg of close to .360 against Garland. Why give a guy like that a fifth AB against him? I know Ozzie "goes with his gut", etc. but I personally wouldn't have let Garland face Ibanez for a fifth time to lead off an inning late in a tie game. I think Ozzie made a poor choice.

DachnoPiitu
04-25-2006, 01:57 AM
Why not pitch to REED? I believe BETANCOURT has more RBI.

I also found this on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yuniesky-BETANCOURT-Brandon-McCARTHY-Auto-Card-20-25_W0QQitemZ8777727693QQcategoryZ1222QQcmdZViewIte m
http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/70/b2/bf_1.JPG

TaylorStSox
04-25-2006, 01:58 AM
Ibanez is a good hitter who happens to posess a career avg of close to .360 against Garland. Why give a guy like that a fifth AB against him? I know Ozzie "goes with his gut", etc. but I personally wouldn't have let Garland face Ibanez for a fifth time to lead off an inning late in a tie game. I think Ozzie made a poor choice.

Ozzie gives his starters a chance to win the game. He's always done it and will continue to do it. That old school attitude is the reason that this team has it's personality.

SoxSpeed22
04-25-2006, 02:01 AM
Bentancourt was swinging the bat well all game, I would have much rather gone at Reed.

0o0o0
04-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Any team can beat any other team on any given day. I understand that, but it doesn't change the fact that we are really good and the Mariners blow.
I know, but they also got a gift run when Mackowiak scored.

Eh, whatever. I'm too tired to analyze a loss that's not that big a deal.

skobabe8
04-25-2006, 02:12 AM
Please, no dark clouds tonight. Good effort, almost stole one, let's get them in game 2.

Nellie_Fox
04-25-2006, 02:14 AM
Seriously folks, back off of the "dark cloud" crap every time someone mentions something slightly negative about a given game.

Dark clouding is when you think every loss is leading to the collapse of the season. I think there were too many bench players in tonight's game. So Crede hasn't done well against Moyer in the past. Well, this year's Crede flies in the face of all his former statistics, so why not see how he does against Moyer in his current incarnation?

Ozzie seems to like to give a lot of starters a day off when the Sox have won a lot of games in a row. It's his call, but I don't see the need for sitting three starters at the beginning of a west-coast swing. I would have liked to see this trip get started on a positive note, given the problems the Sox have had on the left coast for the past few years.

That doesn't mean I think the season is headed down the crapper, just that I didn't agree with tonight's lineup. That is not "dark cloud."

mrs. hendu
04-25-2006, 02:15 AM
I'm not happy about the loss, but:

Detroit 1.5 GB
Cleveland 3.0 GB

Lip Man 1
04-25-2006, 02:16 AM
Good points tonight:

1. Garland pitched well...seems to have rebounded from his first two poor starts.

2. Tigers lost. Indians off.

Bad points tonight:

1. Handcuffed by a guy getting ready for social security.

2. 'Interesting' lineup.

3. Not a good start on the 'West Coast'

The nine games in a row 'jink' strikes again. Sox now 0-2 in extra inning games this season. 1-3 in one run games. Now have three 'blown' games where they had a lead in the 7th inning or later and lost the game. In a perfect world they'd be 16-3. :o:

Go get them tomorrow.

Lip

oeo
04-25-2006, 02:22 AM
Everything you say is good, but I don't agree with the bold. The Sox gave this game away. They played a horrible team who wasn't scoring any runs, and did nothing against a crappy pitcher. The Sox should have won this game 5 times over.

Yeah, but we didn't score any runs either. It's not like we played a good game today, we didn't. Neither did the Mariners, but they came up with the timely hits, we didn't. I still have to say we got beat, we may be the better team but they played just a little bit better than us.

peeonwrigley
04-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Seriously folks, back off of the "dark cloud" crap every time someone mentions something slightly negative about a given game.

Dark clouding is when you think every loss is leading to the collapse of the season. I think there were too many bench players in tonight's game.

That doesn't mean I think the season is headed down the crapper, just that I didn't agree with tonight's lineup. That is not "dark cloud."

Could not have put it better myself.

oeo
04-25-2006, 02:50 AM
Good points tonight:

1. Garland pitched well...seems to have rebounded from his first two poor starts.

2. Tigers lost. Indians off.

What about Cotts? I thought he looked like that great, dominate reliever of last year. Very promising.

wsoxfan
04-25-2006, 03:40 AM
I never said Anderson should've been benched but you can't have a rookie and two utility guys starting in the OF the same game, I could see either Dye or Pods with a day off but not both and also Crede especially considering he's been swinging the bat real well lately. Oh well I guess, I just thought it looked too much like a Jerry Manuel sunday line up out there tonight...

he gone!
04-25-2006, 03:41 AM
way to go BA!

Bobbo35
04-25-2006, 07:47 AM
I don't know about the IBB to Reed, but I could obviously see why it was done from a baseball standpoint. Righty/Righty matchup...Betancourt hitting .429 over the homestand though.

Still, a nice streak, good for BA, and let's get 'em tomorrow.

Ya, I was questioning that as well. I thought the Sox should have pitched to Reed. Oh well, what are you going to do.

Bobbo35
04-25-2006, 07:50 AM

Seeing those pitches just hang over the plate I thought that the Sox were going to be all him Moyer last night. I guess when you are seeing 90+ and then see his changeups it makes it tough. It's aggravating though watching that.

jenn2080
04-25-2006, 08:16 AM
I think Brian Anderson may be new my new hero. Talk about clutch. UNREAL! My friend and I got up off the couch and just screamed. I am about 75% there to loving Brian. And as for the loss...ah well what are you gonna do. We just won 8 in a row.

BeviBall!
04-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Yesterday was another example of a damn good pitcher that happens to be 40+. His changeups were wicked... not to mention, he was getting a wide plate from blue.

The Sox had a few chances to bust the game open in the first few innings and just couldn't get that 2-out hit.

Cintron batting righty reminded me of an old friend... another infielder that couldn't hit righty.

Bobbo35
04-25-2006, 08:31 AM
I think Brian Anderson may be new my new hero. Talk about clutch. UNREAL! My friend and I got up off the couch and just screamed. I am about 75% there to loving Brian. And as for the loss...ah well what are you gonna do. We just won 8 in a row.

Brian Anderson is looking real good out in centerfield as well . He looks comfortable out there and covers a lot of ground.

roylestillman
04-25-2006, 09:21 AM
OK, in the "60 you win 60 you lose, its what you do with the other 42 that matters" theory of a season's record, where would you put this game?

Dice
04-25-2006, 09:28 AM

I have to agree with you on this one. Ozzie made a mistake. BUT every manager will make a mistake some point in a 162 game season. Even the great ones. BUT this doesn't take away Ozzie ability to manage. He's still the best manager in baseball.

We'll get 'em tonight!

infohawk
04-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Well, he did have a quality start. He started out kinda suspect with his control, but seemed to get better as the game went on. I'll take that start almost any day -- 8 innings with 3 earned runs.

infohawk
04-25-2006, 09:47 AM
A lot of teams lose games to that washed-up junkballer.

infohawk
04-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Dye and Crede are both historically awful against Moyer so I can see Ozzie's move there. Ozuna played pretty well.

This game was an absolute perfect example of the Sox on the west coast the last couple years. Offense is rolling going in and gets shut down by a washed up junkballer. They don't score enough runs, blow a lead, and lose in extras.

Anderson's home run was a breath of fresh air. As long as they win the next two I'm alright w/ it. Then they can go spank the Angels and Indians.
Everyone is clear that, as good as they are, they are going to lose games? Right?

infohawk
04-25-2006, 09:55 AM
These three players were responsible for scoring all three of the Sox runs last night.

Corlose 15
04-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Everyone is clear that, as good as they are, they are going to lose games? Right?

Yes, and that doesn't mean that I shouldn't expect them to at least take 2/3 from the worthless Mariners.

infohawk
04-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Sox now 0-2 in extra inning games this season. 1-3 in one run games. Now have three 'blown' games where they had a lead in the 7th inning or later and lost the game. In a perfect world they'd be 16-3. :o:
The fact that we are 13-6 but are not pulling out victories during some of the games that share similar dynamics to games we won last year reaffirms everything KW has done in the offseason to make the team better. KW recognized that it would be asking a lot to pull out as many tight, one run games again and upgraded the team so that the Sox wouldn't regress. Great job KW!!!:gulp:

batmanZoSo
04-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Uh, Jamie Moyer is a good pitcher. The cubs got rid of him for a reason, people.

This game is just baseball. When you play every night, you're going to give some away and you're going to forget how to hit every once in a while. They did have a bad approach against Moyer, but he's not chopped liver. I would think this game had a high probability for a loss and we almost pulled it out. Great job by BA..it's a shame that had to be wasted.

infohawk
04-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Seeing those pitches just hang over the plate I thought that the Sox were going to be all him Moyer last night. I guess when you are seeing 90+ and then see his changeups it makes it tough. It's aggravating though watching that.
There's a reason this guy has 205 career victories. I know he has been pitching longer, but that's more than Pedro. I remember listening to Rob Dibble and Dan Patrick discussing Moyer on the radio a few years ago. Patrick kept asserting that Moyer tosses "salad" and that Patrick could hit him. Dibble almost laughed Patrick out of the radio booth and talked about how it's much harder to hit a guy like Moyer than it looks.

infohawk
04-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Yesterday was another example of a damn good pitcher that happens to be 40+. His changeups were wicked... not to mention, he was getting a wide plate from blue.
That strikezone was an absolute joke. That was one of the widest plates I have ever seen. If I were a batter called out on one of those pitches 3 inches or so off the plate, here's what my reaction would have been :rolleyes: . By the time I got to the dugout, it would have morphed into :angry: .

TomBradley72
04-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Anyone catch Ozzie in the dugout making fun of Garland after his error? Hilarious.

Taliesinrk
04-25-2006, 10:18 AM
pretty busy, so i don't have enough time to completely read the thread.. just thought i'd offer my $.02..

just (finally) saw the highlights from last night, and the GW hit made me feel better. had the guy 0-2 and gave a fairly good pitch on the outside part of the plate. we didn't beat ourselves there, the M's beat us. I'd much rather have that (as it will from time to time) than us beating ourselves. I realize we can argue whether or not it should have been reed at the plate of not, but i'd worry more about bouncing back tonight and starting another streak.

infohawk
04-25-2006, 10:23 AM
I have to agree with you on this one. Ozzie made a mistake. BUT every manager will make a mistake some point in a 162 game season. Even the great ones. BUT this doesn't take away Ozzie ability to manage. He's still the best manager in baseball.
I've got a different take on the pitching and personnel. From a managerial standpoint, I thought what Ozzie did last night was pretty smart. The team won 8 in a row, and could afford to let some starters get some much-needed rest. Staying fresh is one of the ways you sustain a long winning streak. By keeping Garland in the game longer (and he only gave up 3 earned over 8) you limit the innings your bullpen has to pitch, helping to keep them fresh during the road trip. Meanwhile, Seattle had to use 5 relievers and the Sox only had to use 3. This may help the Sox over the next two days.

By the way, anyone else notice how many strikeout pitchers Seattle has in their pen? These guys consistently had more strikeouts than innings pitched. The Mariners may not be contending for anything this year, but they have assembled a pretty impressive cast of relievers.

Hitmen77
04-25-2006, 10:27 AM

Ozuna was 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored and Anderson hit the game-tying HR. So, what is your point exactly?

As far as the resting too many regulars and flashbacks to Jerry Manual's "B" lineup days, I think by the time the season is over, we're going to really appreciate the fact that KW went out and got Mackowiak and Cintron for our bench. Although Mackowiak is off to a slow start, these guys are much better than Timo and Willie and I have no problem with Ozzie giving them playing time.

stl_sox_fan
04-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Just caught the daily highlight from whitesox.com. It has the Seattle announcers instead of Hawk. You can hear the excitement in their voice as the 1-2 pitch comes to BA as they were sensing a K. Nice AB by the kid. Hope this builds him some confidence.

Moyer, 43 year old soft tossin' lefty. What are you gonna do?

scottjanssens
04-25-2006, 11:16 AM
not to mention, he was getting a wide plate from blue.

Very wide plate last night. Mostly consistent though, so no complaints. But the relatively low scoring isn't surprising considering the plate was about 21 inches wide last night.

PaulDrake
04-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Ozzie gives his starters a chance to win the game. He's always done it and will continue to do it. That old school attitude is the reason that this team has it's personality. You're right. He also gives his bench players a lot of playing time. It's useless to complain about his lineups. Once or twice a week he's going to send out a lineup that will make many here unhappy. That's just the way he manages and since he did something nobody else did in my lifetime he gets some slack from me.

GoSox2K3
04-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Too bad we lost. Even the best teams don't automatically sweep last place teams. There were some bright spots:

- Garland's ERA in last 2 games = 2.51

- Politte AND Cotts each pitched an inning of hitless ball with 1 K.

- BA reaches base for 6th straight game.

If these guys are coming around and the rest of our roster keeps doing what they've been doing, the Sox will be tough to beat.

BeviBall!
04-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Yes, and that doesn't mean that I shouldn't expect them to at least take 2/3 from the worthless Mariners.

Felix, Moyer, Piniero, Ichiro, Sexson, Ibanez, Beltre... far from worthless. They'd finish at least 3rd in the NL Central. :D:

DickAllen72
04-25-2006, 05:47 PM
2. At least it wasn't Jeremy Reed who hit the GW-single.

But it was Carl who started the rally that beat the Sox. Carl is still clutch.

3. Time for another 8-game win streak.

Let's make it nine this time! :gulp: