PDA

View Full Version : Non-Sox fan visited USC Field yesterday - my comments

Khristeeanos
04-24-2006, 09:32 PM
I grew up in St. Louis (lived there 26 years) and am a huge Cardinals fan.

I worked for a company that relocated me to Atlanta five years ago and have never liked the Braves, but do attend about one game a year when someone invites me.

I went from a great baseball town to one that isn't quite so great. Atlanta fans are fickle in many ways as many of them are from other places (like me).

I have never been a fan of Chicago sports, mainly because of the Cards/Cubs and the Blues/Hawks.

I have never had a reason to watch AL baseball and didn't think that going to a White Sox game would impress me much because the only player I had much interest in was Thome.

But I was greatly impressed in all aspects of my visit yesterday. The fans were devoted to their team, they wore team gear, they knew the game, they were passionate about their players.

The stadium was extremely nice and the fans didn't heckle me in my Stan Musial jersey (well, one said I should be upset because the Cards were losing to the Cubs, but that doesn't bother me). One fan gave me a smile and told me he liked my jersey.

My overall impression of everything was deserving of an "A" for sure. Thank you White Sox fans for making my day enjoyable. :)

Erik The Red
04-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself!

Oh, and :welcome:

Nellie_Fox
04-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Welcome.

In the past, we've done "second favorite team" surveys, and St. Louis usually does quite well as the second favorite for White Sox fans. I would have been surprised if you had gotten a negative reaction for a Musial jersey, other than from the stray Cubs fan, who would just be there to create problems anyway.

cbotnyse
04-24-2006, 09:48 PM
great to hear to had a good time.....its funny what you say about Atlanta fans...I guess a division title 15 years in a row isnt good enough (although I can see the frustration with the lack of WS titles)

you should enjoy having the best player in baseball right now, Albert has been a maniac this year!

see you in the World Series!

santo=dorf
04-24-2006, 09:52 PM
(well, one said I should be upset because the Cards were losing to the Cubs, but that doesn't bother me).
That sounds like Hangar18 to me.

He gone
04-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Welcome aboard. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to the cell, hopefully you weren't scouting Buehrle :redneck

jamokes
04-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Welcome........I wish the Sox or Notre Dame (kids go there) would have a team color like the Cardinals do. Those all red shirts are neat!

cubhater
04-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Glad you had a good time in our house. Don't believe all the media negativity.

I have all the respect for Card's fans, and not because of their rivalry with the Cubs. I visited Busch last year for the first time and you guys are extremely devoted to your team like we are. I can't wait to see your new stadium. It looks like a fantastic ballpark.

Feel free to stop by again.:cool:

Grzegorz
04-24-2006, 09:59 PM

The stadium was extremely nice and the fans didn't heckle me in my Stan Musial jersey (well, one said I should be upset because the Cards were losing to the Cubs, but that doesn't bother me). One fan gave me a smile and told me he liked my jersey.

White Sox fans are generally down to earth and they know their baseball. I doubt you'll get many White Sox fans heckling you for your choice of jersey; they respect "The Man" and all he's done for the game.

saltwater farmer
04-24-2006, 10:07 PM
I attended a game at the OLD Busch Stadium last year -- Cards v Cubs. The StL fans were unbelievably friendly, especially considering it was the hottest day of the year and several obnoxious Cubs fans in our section were way too drunk for their own good. The Cards fans just looked the other way and watched the ballgame. I'm glad they now have a ballpark as classy as they are. That concrete ashtray was a miserable place to be on a hot muggy day.

:gulp:

tick53
04-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the other team whose fans know baseball.
Chicago White Sox in the AL
and
St Louis Cardinals in th NL

The Most Knowledgeable Fans In Baseball
:welcome:

LuvSox
04-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Welcome and feel free to stay. WSI has many knowledgable baseball fans. And we love the Cards!

34rancher
04-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Consider this another welcome and affirmation of what has been previously said...we tend to be very pro-Cards in these parts, wanna trade Buehrle for Pujols? :?: (Had to try)

A lot of Sox fans here are also pro-LaRussa. Many fond memories.

soxjim
04-24-2006, 10:41 PM
[quote=Khristeeanos]

I think I saw you while I was waiting to get into the ball park. I smiled and said "Stan's the man". Hope you enjoyed yourself and good luck to the Cards the rest of the year.

WinOrDyeTrying
04-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Wow, what a love fest :puking:

Just kidding... Welcome to WSI

thomas35forever
04-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Welcome! It's always great when the fans of the two Flub rivals unite!

RealMenWearBlack
04-25-2006, 01:25 AM
And we love the Cards!

Except for June 20-22, although I'm really excited about seeing Albert Pujols.

hi im skot
04-25-2006, 01:35 AM
wanna trade Buehrle for Pujols? :?: (Had to try)

:hawk:

"where's he gonna play?"

SouthSide_HitMen
04-25-2006, 02:26 AM
That sounds like Hangar18 to me.

Did he look like this: http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/mlb/players/5/6559.jpg

:redneck

MadetoOrta
04-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Welcome........I wish the Sox or Notre Dame (kids go there) would have a team color like the Cardinals do. Those all red shirts are neat!

The Sox did. When I was a kid in the early '70's - red pinstripes. Actually, a nice look. I like what we have now.

Fabs
04-25-2006, 10:35 AM
A lot of Sox fans here are also pro-LaRussa. Many fond memories.

I love the Cards because of LaRussa, he rocks! And the anti scrubs factor doesn't hurt, either. :bandance:

Khristeeanos
04-25-2006, 07:06 PM
I must admit that I didn't think that the Sox had such devout fans because with my NL bias being from STL and strongly disliking the Cubs I thought that most Chicago fans were Cubs fans and that left the Sox few and far between.

I was shocked, pleasantly so.

Congrats on being World Champs and hope that the Cards win WS number 10 this season. :smile:

'59SOX'05
04-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Is that Kristeeanos like Χριστιανος?

#10 will have to wait. We need #4 this year!

Khristeeanos
04-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Is that Kristeeanos like Χριστιανος?

My user ID is the Greek pronouncation for Christian, you are correc! I don't know Greek, but I did stay at a Holliday Inn Express last night. :wink:

Actually, I have a Strong's Exhaustive (# 5546:smile: ).

#10 will have to wait. We need #4 this year!

Nah, I like my idea better. :bandance:

gbergman
04-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Congrats on being World Champs and hope that the Cards win WS number 10 this season. :smile:
blasphemy. Welcome

34rancher
04-25-2006, 09:27 PM
:hawk:

"where's he gonna play?"
Honestly? Where ever he wants. He is the best in the game...

Soxfest
04-26-2006, 01:54 AM

I worked for a company that relocated me to Atlanta five years ago and have never liked the Braves, but do attend about one game a year when someone invites me.

I went from a great baseball town to one that isn't quite so great. Atlanta fans are fickle in many ways as many of them are from other places (like me).

I have never been a fan of Chicago sports, mainly because of the Cards/Cubs and the Blues/Hawks.

I have never had a reason to watch AL baseball and didn't think that going to a White Sox game would impress me much because the only player I had much interest in was Thome.

But I was greatly impressed in all aspects of my visit yesterday. The fans were devoted to their team, they wore team gear, they knew the game, they were passionate about their players.

My overall impression of everything was deserving of an "A" for sure. Thank you White Sox fans for making my day enjoyable. :)

Nice to see someone new enjoy park, glad you had a good experience.:smile: