PDA

View Full Version : Request an expert's current view of Getz

CaptUSN
04-24-2006, 02:54 PM
To those who know , a question from afar.... I notice Getz appears to be doing well at the plate hitting lead-off (>.300) for the Barons while playing second base. Does he have future as a lead-off man for the Sox when Pods current contract expires?

Randar68
04-24-2006, 03:13 PM
To those who know , a question from afar.... I notice Getz appears to be doing well at the plate hitting lead-off (>.300) for the Barons while playing second base. Does he have future as a lead-off man for the Sox when Pods current contract expires?

He's kind of a utility IF'er type. There's a chance he could stick at 2B, but I think that's about it.

It's early, so we will have to see if he can hit for any kind of extra-base power on a consistent basis.

TaylorStSox
04-24-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm really high on Getz and see him as an everyday 2nd baseman and leadoff hitter. I think he can be a better version of Eckstein.

Alot of people aren't high on him because of his tools. He's done nothing but produce though.

Randar's seen him. He'll give a better evaluation.

TaylorStSox
04-24-2006, 03:14 PM
He's kind of a utility IF'er type. There's a chance he could stick at 2B, but I think that's about it.

It's early, so we will have to see if he can hit for any kind of extra-base power on a consistent basis.

Beat me to it. :angry::redneck

maurice
04-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Getz has 1 SB. He probably won't lead off for a team managed by Ozzie.

I suppose he could end up as a 2-hitter.

TaylorStSox
04-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Getz has 1 SB. He probably won't lead off for a team managed by Ozzie.

I suppose he could end up as a 2-hitter.

You might be right, but I don't think Ozzie has alot to do with that. Right now, we aren't a running team. We only run situationally. The days of Pods stealing 50 bases are over. If Getz can get on base at a .400 clip, he'd be leading off for us. I'm not saying he's capable of that though.

KRS1
04-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Let me just add this, his home to first time is around 4.15-4.20, and while that isnt terrible, it certainly isnt the speed you expect from a leadoff hitter coming out of the lefty hitting box. He has the great eye and OBP you would want from a 2hole guy, but IMO he would have to jump Valido in order to take that spot. Right now the only person who you should be looking at as our future lead off man if Owens. Valido certainly has shown the speed and nack for stealing bases, but in my eyes it is clear that Owens is first choice to land that spot.

Randar68
04-24-2006, 03:38 PM
The days of Pods stealing 50 bases are over.

:bs:

Randar68
04-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Let me just add this, his home to first time is around 4.15-4.20, and while that isnt terrible, it certainly isnt the speed you expect from a leadoff hitter coming out of the lefty hitting box. He has the great eye and OBP you would want from a 2hole guy, but IMO he would have to jump Valido in order to take that spot. Right now the only person who you should be looking at as our future lead off man if Owens. Valido certainly has shown the speed and nack for stealing bases, but in my eyes it is clear that Owens is first choice to land that spot.

Yep. Valido profiles as a more natural #2 hitter. Getz does not profile as your ideal leadoff guy. Could he? Sure, on a team like Oakland. On the Sox? Again, IMO, as long as Ozzie is managing, he isn't a lead-off hitter for the Sox. And KRS is right, Owens is who we should be looking at to be that disruptive lead-off type in the future.

TaylorStSox
04-24-2006, 03:40 PM
:bs:

I'm sorry, but Pods has lost a step. The next time he gets a good jump will be the first. Actually, he's getting some decent jumps and getting thrown out. He's still valuable because he gets on base and can go 1st to 3rd, but I just don't see the speed or the explosiveness anymore. I hope I'm wrong.

KRS1
04-24-2006, 03:42 PM
You might be right, but I don't think Ozzie has alot to do with that. Right now, we aren't a running team. We only run situationally. The days of Pods stealing 50 bases are over. If Getz can get on base at a .400 clip, he'd be leading off for us. I'm not saying he's capable of that though.

That doesnt mean Ozzie still doesnt love that threat at the top of the order, because he does. We may not be getting all the steals from Pods last year, but factoring in his lack of getting on base, coupled with the slow start due to recovering from certain injurys and the truth of the matter may lay there. Also, factor in the situations he has been on base for and it makes it even more clear why he hasnt been stealing(up by 6,8,5 etc.). I do expect Pods to started running more in close games and when he leads off on base.

Randar68
04-24-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm sorry, but Pods has lost a step. The next time he gets a good jump will be the first. Actually, he's getting some decent jumps and getting thrown out. He's still valuable because he gets on base and can go 1st to 3rd, but I just don't see the speed or the explosiveness anymore. I hope I'm wrong.

Getting thrown out by Bako or Mauer is nothing to hang your hat about. Not only that, but he stole a few bases earlier last week by a wide margin...

This is not the right place for this, but still, this is the same kind of baloney as writing Anderson off...

"The days of Pods stealing 50 bases are over"... that's just horse-phoooey... Not like the guy is 36 years old.

TaylorStSox
04-24-2006, 03:50 PM
That doesnt mean Ozzie still doesnt love that threat at the top of the order, because he does. We may not be getting all the steals from Pods last year, but factoring in his lack of getting on base, coupled with the slow start due to recovering from certain injurys and the truth of the matter may lay there. Also, factor in the situations he has been on base for and it makes it even more clear why he hasnt been stealing(up by 6,8,5 etc.). I do expect Pods to started running more in close games and when he leads off on base.

I agree that Ozzie would probably like to run more, but we don't have the horses this year. You use what you have. There aren't alot of those SB threats around anymore. Maybe Valido or Owens would be better options to take a bag, but will either be able to get on base at the rate that Getz might? I don't know, but their track record says that Getz has a better shot with his plate discipline. Obviously he doesn't have the ceiling that either of those guys have but ultimately it comes down to production. It's still way too early to tell though.

Randar68
04-24-2006, 03:54 PM
I agree that Ozzie would probably like to run more, but we don't have the horses this year. You use what you have. There aren't alot of those SB threats around anymore. Maybe Valido or Owens would be better options to take a bag, but will either be able to get on base at the rate that Getz might? I don't know, but their track record says that Getz has a better shot with his plate discipline. Obviously he doesn't have the ceiling that either of those guys have but ultimately it comes down to production. It's still way too early to tell though.

HUH? What the hell are you talking about? Getz is 2 years older than Valido and it's not like Valido is a strike-out machine... This is also why Valido is better-suited as a #2 hitter. He puts the ball in play and gives himself up all the time... Yet he also has a very good chance to steal a bag when he gets on...

Getz is a nice player, but how many of these high-walk-no-power players do we have to see fall on their faces in the majors before we stop getting all excited about OBP from a guy with ZERO pop?

TaylorStSox
04-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Getting thrown out by Bako or Mauer is nothing to hang your hat about. Not only that, but he stole a few bases earlier last week by a wide margin...

This is not the right place for this, but still, this is the same kind of baloney as writing Anderson off...

"The days of Pods stealing 50 bases are over"... that's just horse-phoooey... Not like the guy is 36 years old.
I believe he was thrown out by Bako on a breaking pitch and a really high throw. Both Mauer and Redman (Redmond too):redface: threw him out IIRC. I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet money that Pods hasn't stole bases at a 50% clip since the break of last year. It's not impossible for a 30 year old speedster with bad legs to lose a step.

How is this anything like BA? Criticizing a rookie in his first full season is alot different than a vet who hasn't been the same for 3/4 of a year, including the playoff's.

"Horse phooey," with absolutely no evidence for your argument is a hell of a rebuttal though. Sorry that I disagree with the almighty Randar.

TaylorStSox
04-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I don't want to sit here and argue. My point is that it's not out of the realm of possibility for Getz to be a lead off hitter on an Ozzie led team. Valido and Owens might be better options, but the jury is still out on all 3 players.

Randar68
04-24-2006, 04:18 PM
I believe he was thrown out by Bako on a breaking pitch and a really high throw. Both Mauer and Redman (Redmond too):redface: threw him out IIRC. I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet money that Pods hasn't stole bases at a 50% clip since the break of last year. It's not impossible for a 30 year old speedster with bad legs to lose a step.

How is this anything like BA? Criticizing a rookie in his first full season is alot different than a vet who hasn't been the same for 3/4 of a year, including the playoff's.

"Horse phooey," with absolutely no evidence for your argument is a hell of a rebuttal though. Sorry that I disagree with the almighty Randar.

The entire second half of last year he had a groin hernia... is that really THAT hard for you to comprehend? He was 44/53 before the break and 15/29 after, but hey, he'll never regain that first-half 2005 form, will he? :rolleyes:

He's 3/6 this year, and even the best get a bad jump every now and then. Heck, he started out just 1/28 at the plate or something crazy like that so he hasn't even been on base until the last 7 days or so...

He's been thrown out 3 times (2x by Bako, once by Mauer)... and you've come to the grand conclusion he's lost a step that he'll never regain... like I said, utter horse-hockey.

Making a ridiculous argument has nothing to do with disagreeing with me. But, hey, when someone calls you on it, if you want to cry about it or make this out to be me bullying someone with a valid point (which you plain and simple don't have), go ahead and try to make yourself a martyr. Just know it's awfully hard to nail yourself to your own cross...

ondafarm
04-24-2006, 04:22 PM
As to Getz,

he's at B'ham so he's probably two years away from seriously contending, if at all. I don't think his lack of pop will really affect his chances of making the majors. I don't think either #1 or #2 hitters should be evaluated by HR, #9 either.

A #1 hitter should be a disruptor. Stealing bases, and high OBP are both very helpful assets but not essential. Pods greatest asset is not that he steals bases (which he hasn't much lately) or that he has a high OBP (which has been a little iffy lately) [NB I believe both of those are coming around but aren't here right now.] Pods greatest asset is that he drives opposition pitchers crazy and gets Iguchi, Thome, Konerko and Dye a lot more fastballs and hanging breaking stuff to hit.

That said, I think Owens is who the Sox have penciled in as replacing Pods eventually. Vallido may also be up to a portion of the task. It would not hurt the Sox at all to have two guys who can be disruptors on the basepaths. It also would be good to have options.

Getz may eventually get to the SouthSide and how he'll develop we don't know just yet. He still could be a useful player.

Randar68
04-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Getz may eventually get to the SouthSide and how he'll develop we don't know just yet. He still could be a useful player.

I agree with a lot of your assessment. I also would like to say that I picture Getz as more of a #7/#8 hitter in the NL (or #2 hitter) than a leadoff guy for the Sox. He fits in at the top of the order with quite a few teams, IMO, but I still don't see the fit at the top of the order as long as Ozzie is here.

TaylorStSox
04-24-2006, 04:32 PM
The entire second half of last year he had a groin hernia... is that really THAT hard for you to comprehend? He was 44/53 before the break and 15/29 after, but hey, he'll never regain that first-half 2005 form, will he? :rolleyes:

He's 3/6 this year, and even the best get a bad jump every now and then. Heck, he started out just 1/28 at the plate or something crazy like that so he hasn't even been on base until the last 7 days or so...

He's been thrown out 3 times (2x by Bako, once by Mauer)... and you've come to the grand conclusion he's lost a step that he'll never regain... like I said, utter horse-hockey.

Making a ridiculous argument has nothing to do with disagreeing with me. But, hey, when someone calls you on it, if you want to cry about it or make this out to be me bullying someone with a valid point (which you plain and simple don't have), go ahead and try to make yourself a martyr. Just know it's awfully hard to nail yourself to your own cross...

I know he was injured. I don't think he'll ever recover 100%. Speed guys have a small window and Pods' is closing. We disagree. Don't try to belittle me for having an opinion that differs from yours. We're both forming opinions with the same info. I don't think Pods will ever regain his 04-05 form, as far as stealing bases is concerned. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

Right now, Pods is still disrupting oppossing pitchers. How long will it take the league to catch on the possibility that he's no longer the threat he once was?

Randar68
04-24-2006, 04:56 PM
I know he was injured. I don't think he'll ever recover 100%.

I know of a half-dozen guys who have had this exact injury/surgery in the past 2 years and every single one of them has recovered 100% from the effects of the injury/surgery/recovery...

Sure as heck didn't seem to effect Luther Head having a break-out senior year at Illinois and being a first round draft pick after having the surgery following his sophomore year, did it?

Randar68
04-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Right now, Pods is still disrupting oppossing pitchers. How long will it take the league to catch on the possibility that he's no longer the threat he once was?

Chone Figgins only has 4 SB. Has the league caught on to the chance he's not as effective as well? No, they're just paying even closer attention and it's giving the hitters behind him in the order even better opportunities to produce...

TaylorStSox
04-24-2006, 05:03 PM
I know of a half-dozen guys who have had this exact injury/surgery in the past 2 years and every single one of them has recovered 100% from the effects of the injury/surgery/recovery...

Sure as heck didn't seem to effect Luther Head having a break-out senior year at Illinois and being a first round draft pick after having the surgery following his sophomore year, did it?

Head was 21 years old. The injury did affect his acceleration for more than a year. Baserunning and basketball acceleration is different though. Basketball players don't have to go from dead stop to explosion as much. I'm just not convinced that the hernia is the only thing that's wrong. It's not unprecedented for a speedster to peak in his late 20's and lose a step. Also, Pods was never the type of stolen base threat that was really a burner. Even at his best, he never beat out throws by a mile. They were already close plays. A guy like Henderson/Raines/Coleman losing a step wasn't as big a deal as a guy like Pods.

I hope he makes me eat crow and swipes 50+ bags. I just don't see it happening.

BTW...We've managed to completely hijack this thread. :tongue:

CleeFan101
04-26-2006, 12:58 AM
I really think Getz and Valido will be our future table setters. Getz has decent speed probably with Ozzie calling things could get 20 bags a season. Even though Valido would be a better fit batting 2nd in the lineup, I see him leadoff since he is much more of a threat on the bases than Getz and can possibly get 40 a season.. maybe more.

If all goes right both will be debutting for the sox in the 08 season.

Randar68
05-02-2006, 10:59 AM
BTW...We've managed to completely hijack this thread. :tongue:

Pods looked pretty good last night... :cool: