PDA

View Full Version : West Coast *gulp*

batmanZoSo
04-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Time to see what the Sox are really made of.

Six games in Seattle and Anaheim coming up here. We did better last year out West (we couldn't have possibly done worse than previous years). It'll be interesting to see how this red hot team handles the trip. Coming off an 8 game winning streak, I don't know if it's good or bad. Sure we're hot, but the law of averages...you have to cool off some time. I think we'll do alright. This will be the year we have a winning record on the West coast. The mission starts tonight!

sullythered
04-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Let's hope we're not "coming off of," but "in the midst of" the current streak.:cool:

Go Sox!

Corlose 15
04-24-2006, 11:28 AM
The Sox won out west last year when it counted. Seattle sucks and is having serious trouble scoring runs. I fully expect the Sox to take at least 2/3. As for LAA LAA land, I'd be pleased with 2/3. The AL West is kind of in neutral right now and it might be a good time for a trip out there. :bandance:

scottjanssens
04-24-2006, 11:29 AM
The Sox are not "coming off of" an 8-game winning streak. They're _on_ an 8-game winning streak.

The law of averages only applies to random events. Baseball games are not random events.

West coast, schmest coast. The Sox are rolling into Safeco with momentum on their side.

(Mmmmm Safeco garlic fries... one of the few things I miss about Seattle. That and the amazing lack of mosquitos.)

BNLSox
04-24-2006, 11:29 AM
We did win our last three out west...Including and not withstanding the pennant.

SoxEd
04-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Whilst I too have been conditioned by the results in recent seasons to Fear the West:

I wonder how Mariners fans feel about facing us?

More importantly, I wonder how Angels fans feel about the prospect of facing a Sox team that contains not only Paul Konerko, but also Jim Thome...

...and which has an IMPROVED Starting Rotation...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

rdwj
04-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm more worried about the lack of sleep I'll have this week than the west coast. The boys are playing some good ball these days.

soxfanatlanta
04-24-2006, 11:49 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Diabolical laughing; I like it.

I cannot think of a better time to hit the West cost, IMO. They just finished spanking the Twinkies, and I still think they can get better. If Garland continues keeping the ball down like his last start, and Javier repeat his last performance, you will see the Mariners fans wondering what the hell just hit them. Oh, and then they get to face MB.

Looking forward to it, bubba!

Lip Man 1
04-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Last year's success in the ALDS should help from a confidence factor which I think is really important. It still remains to be seen if that translates into actual wins but given the talent on this team I don't think they will have the issues that previous teams have had on the West Coast.

I mean after all these guys actually have five starters...not four and some clown, and a few of the West Coast games since 2001 were lost because of those clown pitchers!

Lip

Hokiesox
04-24-2006, 12:03 PM
I don't care if they lose every game to the M's and LAA. Just win 2/3 from Oakland, PLEASE! I want that monkey off our backs. I realize Oakland is not on this trip, but when I think West coast, I think Oakland.

DaleJRFan
04-24-2006, 12:13 PM
The 2006 White Sox > The 2005 World Series Champion White Sox.

The "law of averages" will be tossed out the window of the Sox charter jet as they fly out to the west coast this week.

There's NO stopping this team.

Chicken Dinner
04-24-2006, 12:19 PM
I guess we'll just have to see if Garland has his good stuff or his bad stuff. We've always had trouble getting that 9th in a row.

batmanZoSo
04-24-2006, 12:30 PM
I guess we'll just have to see if Garland has his good stuff or his bad stuff. We've always had trouble getting that 9th in a row.

Yeah, that's what I'm psyched for, to finally get a 9 gamer, which I forgot to mention. The players know this and they also know about the West coast thing more than anybody. We'll see if they can overcome the two. I made this thread just because of those two things. They just make this series more exciting to look forward to than it otherwise would be.

Corlose 15
04-24-2006, 12:32 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060423&content_id=1414518&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

While the three straight wins in Anaheim obviously did a great deal for the White Sox confidence, where playing in that part of the country is concerned, it's actually the four victories that followed in Houston which really changed the team's perception. As Politte pointed out, the White Sox came into the 2006 season carrying the expectations of a champion to win, and win quite frequently, whether the games are being played at U.S. Cellular Field or Angel Stadium.

This team definitely has a swagger, and I like it.:cool:

Theanticub
04-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Whilst I too have been conditioned by the results in recent seasons to Fear the West:

I wonder how Mariners fans feel about facing us?

More importantly, I wonder how Angels fans feel about the prospect of facing a Sox team that contains not only Paul Konerko, but also Jim Thome...

...and which has an IMPROVED Starting Rotation...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Hehe good call. Now I know they only have 4 teams, but isn't the AL West the worst division as of now? It's almost like the NL West decided to change hands with the AL West......okay not to that extent...but I think taking every series on this roadtrip would turn a lot of heads.

hawkjt
04-24-2006, 01:23 PM
The sox are following the tigers into both cities which is a little bit of bad luck. The tigers are catching the bottom part of both the M's and A's rotation while the sox are getting the top guys. Hence the tigers swept the M's and will miss Escobar and Weaver in LA. They missed Moyer and Pinero in seattle. The sox will catch all of these pitchers. Washburn is always tough on the sox.

I see the tigers continuing to win in LA and the sox will take care of business in Seattle with 2 of 3.

Then down to LA against Escobar(who is tough) and weaver(the sox can handle him). Ervin Santana had the sox number the first time but in the playoffs they handled him.

Should be some good pitchers duels out on the coast. Go Sox.

Bobbo35
04-24-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm more worried about the lack of sleep I'll have this week than the west coast. The boys are playing some good ball these days.

Ya, the sleeping pattern this week is going to screw with me, but it is all worth. I just need to let the students know I will be grouchy.

It's Time
04-24-2006, 03:03 PM
5-3 or 6-2. No worries.

lumpyspun
04-24-2006, 04:07 PM
If it makes anyone feel better...the weather in Seattle is almost tropical (it feels that way). It's about 73 and sunny, so hopefully the balls will be flying off our bats.

Another good thing is that Freddy isn't pitching here against his old team. Last year when he pitched here he got rocked...

TDog
04-24-2006, 04:28 PM
The Seattle announcers on Sunday were referring to the Sox as "World Champions" at every mention. I don't doubt there is respect for the Sox among Seattle fans, whose team has sufficiently humbled them.

The Mariners may have trouble scoring runs, but they have been surprising at times. They took two of three in Cleveland. Although they were swept at home by the Tigers, they have shown a tendency to score late to make things close. Sunday they were down 6-1 going into the bottom of the 8th and after the team was dormant for 7 innings, Everett came up as a pinch-hitter as the go-ahead run. After he walked, a single could have tied it.

Moyer is pitching tonight. A win is never a given. KC, after all is 4-13, with all four wins coming at home in series wins against the Sox and Indians.