PDA

View Full Version : Borchard this year?...

Chisox_cali
01-25-2002, 03:15 PM
from TSN:

The team is trying to be patient with outfielder Joe Borchard, but with a gaping hole in center field, the former Stanford quarterback might be headed to the major leagues earlier than expected. Borchard, the team's No. 1 draft pick in 2000, was on track to make the 25-man roster in the spring of 2003.

Even after batting .295 with 27 home runs and a league-leading 98 RBI at Class AA Birmingham last season (his first full year in professional baseball), the team still wanted Borchard to play a full year at Class AAA Charlotte. But with incumbent center fielder Chris Singleton on the trade block, Borchard has moved up the ladder. If he performs well in spring training, he could become the team's opening day starter. . . .

Here is the whole article

BORCH (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/teams/whitesox/)

cheeses_h_rice
01-25-2002, 03:47 PM
The article mentions Tim Hummel coming up through the ranks and possibly replacing Ray-Ray next year.

Has anyone here seen Hummel in person? Or does anyone have the skinny on his abilities? Is he a righty or lefty?

Chisox_cali
01-25-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
The article mentions Tim Hummel coming up through the ranks and possibly replacing Ray-Ray next year.

Has anyone here seen Hummel in person? Or does anyone have the skinny on his abilities? Is he a righty or lefty?

I've never even seen a picture of him but I know he's a righty and this is what it said about him on whitesox.com:

Tim Hummel, 2B: After being cited as having the Best Pro Debut from the White Sox 2000 draft class by Baseball America, Hummel followed up his first minor league season with a solid sophomore campaign. Hummel, who was selected in the second round out of Old Dominion, hit .290 with 63 RBIs and 83 runs scored at Birmingham. The 6-foot-2 infielder not only spent time at shortstop, second base and third base with the Barons, but ranked among the organizational leaders in hits (2nd, 152), runs (2nd), triples (T3rd, 6), doubles (4th, 33), average (4th, .290), on-base percentage (4th, .364), walks (T4th, 62), total bases (5th, 218) and extra-base hits (T7th, 46). Following the conclusion of the 2001 season, Hummel was listed as the No. 2 Second Baseman among the Top 100 Prospects by Baseball America as well as being named to the Class AA All-Star Team.

Daver
01-25-2002, 04:14 PM

I got this from TPA,for what it's worth Cheeses.

3) Tim Hummel, 2B, 23yo (OBA: 1.1, LWP: 0.1, SPD: 1.1, EYE: 1.5)

The White Sox 2nd round pick in 2002, isnít a "tools" favorite. He has little power, tends to be a step slow defensively and doesnít have a canon for an arm. But he is the type of player that has the makeup to ensure success at the next level. He makes great contact and has a compact swing that will provide him gap power. He doesnít have blazing speed, but his baseball instincts should allow him to steal 15 bases a year while hitting a ton of triples. His greatest skill is tremendous plate discipline that should make him a favorite of the OBA fans. Hummel is the type of ballplayer that winning organizations always seem to have. He should start the season at AAA, but I expect him to win a utility IF spot before the year is up. Being a little slow for SS and not possessing the arm for 3B, 2B looks like his eventual position and could force a Ray Durham trade as early as 2003. At his peak he will be an above average major league middle infielder, batting around .290 with a ton of doubles and triples and double digit homeruns.

mrwag
01-25-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by daver

The White Sox 2nd round pick in 2002, isn?t a "tools" favorite. He has little power, tends to be a step slow defensively and doesn?t have a canon for an arm. But he is the type of player that has the makeup to ensure success at the next level. He makes great contact and has a compact swing that will provide him gap power. He doesn?t have blazing speed, but his baseball instincts should allow him to steal 15 bases a year while hitting a ton of triples. His greatest skill is tremendous plate discipline that should make him a favorite of the OBA fans. Hummel is the type of ballplayer that winning organizations always seem to have. He should start the season at AAA, but I expect him to win a utility IF spot before the year is up. Being a little slow for SS and not possessing the arm for 3B, 2B looks like his eventual position and could force a Ray Durham trade as early as 2003. At his peak he will be an above average major league middle infielder, batting around .290 with a ton of doubles and triples and double digit homeruns.

Sounds like a winner to me! They make a .290 avg with a "ton of doubles and triples and double digit homeruns" sound like it's no big deal. I say bring him on.

cheeses_h_rice
01-25-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by daver

The White Sox 2nd round pick in 2002, isnít a "tools" favorite. He has little power, tends to be a step slow defensively and doesnít have a canon for an arm. But he is the type of player that has the makeup to ensure success at the next level. He makes great contact and has a compact swing that will provide him gap power. He doesnít have blazing speed, but his baseball instincts should allow him to steal 15 bases a year while hitting a ton of triples. His greatest skill is tremendous plate discipline that should make him a favorite of the OBA fans. Hummel is the type of ballplayer that winning organizations always seem to have. He should start the season at AAA, but I expect him to win a utility IF spot before the year is up. Being a little slow for SS and not possessing the arm for 3B, 2B looks like his eventual position and could force a Ray Durham trade as early as 2003. At his peak he will be an above average major league middle infielder, batting around .290 with a ton of doubles and triples and double digit homeruns.

It sounds like he's not a huge upgrade over Ray's potential. This will be a huge year for the Fire Hydrant -- if he can get to .300 again with 25+ stolen bases and not a ton of errors, he could fend off Hummel for the spot in '03.

Jerry_Manuel
01-25-2002, 05:02 PM
This will be a huge year for the Fire Hydrant -- if he can get to .300 again with 25+ stolen bases and not a ton of errors, he could fend off Hummel for the spot in '03.

Remember Cheeses, Ray is a free agent after this season.

Vsahajpal
01-25-2002, 05:19 PM
I got the chance to see Tim quite a lot at the AFL. I like him a lot batting 2nd in the order, he's a selective hitter with developing power. From what I saw, he doesn't have much trouble turning on the fastball, but his biggest knock is that he doesn't handle inside pitches well. He's got a good baseball body, probably more suited to play 3b. Defensively he's major league average at 2b, doesn't have a quick release at all, and has trouble ranging to his left. He reminded me physically of Jeff Kent. It remains to be seen whether he'll hit 20+ HR though. Here's his scouting report from T1

Hummel played 93 games at second, 36 at shortstop, and only five at third base last summer for Double-A Birmingham. But I think heís a third baseman all the way.

His primary tools are offensive and heíll have to hit to make it work, anywhere.

Hummel has an even, Chipper Jones-like baseball build at 6-2, 200, which will still get stronger. I like his approach at the plate, and his hitting mechanics are sound.

His bat-speed has improved over the last two years, but is still just a hair below MLB-average. Hummelís trigger has gotten much better, and heís short-to-the-ball which helps his cause. Right now, he has a little bit of loft-power.

I donít see much of a turn on the inner-half. Hummel actually does better with balls out over the plate.

I wonder if itís all just a matter of getting stronger. He just needs to grow into his actions, and I think it can still happen.

Defensively, Hummel gives an honest effort, but just doesnít have the fast-twitches to stay in the middle infield in my opinion. I like his hands okay, but his agility and arm-strength donít work well for shortstop and are borderline for second. He takes too long to get rid of the ball, and he just canít turn the double play the way a little, short-armed 5-9 second baseman can.

At third base, I think he has the potential to be adequate and you donít have to worry as much about him out-growing it. Hummelís first step is okay and his hands should take care of the shots. It might take a while for him to get used to it, though, because he hasnít had much experience at the hot corner.

The outfield might be a possibility, too; Hummel runs about average and his arm might stretch out okay, at least enough for left. Bottom-line is that if he hits, theyíll find a place for him. Hummel hit .290-7-63, with 33 Doubles for Double-A Birmingham in his first full pro season. He struck out 69 times and earned 66 walks. When he gets stronger and turns on the ball, you will see more power numbers.

Hummel should spend the 2002 season playing the infield for Triple-A Charlotte. Heíll play it out as a 23 year-old and could be a September call-up.

cheeses_h_rice
01-25-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Remember Cheeses, Ray is a free agent after this season.

Oops! In that case...welcome aboard, Mr. Hummel!!!

If Ray has a good year this year, he's gonna want too much $$$.

RichH55
01-25-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I got the chance to see Tim quite a lot at the AFL. I like him a lot batting 2nd in the order, he's a selective hitter with developing power. From what I saw, he doesn't have much trouble turning on the fastball, but his biggest knock is that he doesn't handle inside pitches well. He's got a good baseball body, probably more suited to play 3b. Defensively he's major league average at 2b, doesn't have a quick release at all, and has trouble ranging to his left. He reminded me physically of Jeff Kent. It remains to be seen whether he'll hit 20+ HR though. Here's his scouting report from T1

Hummel played 93 games at second, 36 at shortstop, and only five at third base last summer for Double-A Birmingham. But I think heís a third baseman all the way.

His primary tools are offensive and heíll have to hit to make it work, anywhere.

Hummel has an even, Chipper Jones-like baseball build at 6-2, 200, which will still get stronger. I like his approach at the plate, and his hitting mechanics are sound.

His bat-speed has improved over the last two years, but is still just a hair below MLB-average. Hummelís trigger has gotten much better, and heís short-to-the-ball which helps his cause. Right now, he has a little bit of loft-power.

I donít see much of a turn on the inner-half. Hummel actually does better with balls out over the plate.

I wonder if itís all just a matter of getting stronger. He just needs to grow into his actions, and I think it can still happen.

Defensively, Hummel gives an honest effort, but just doesnít have the fast-twitches to stay in the middle infield in my opinion. I like his hands okay, but his agility and arm-strength donít work well for shortstop and are borderline for second. He takes too long to get rid of the ball, and he just canít turn the double play the way a little, short-armed 5-9 second baseman can.

At third base, I think he has the potential to be adequate and you donít have to worry as much about him out-growing it. Hummelís first step is okay and his hands should take care of the shots. It might take a while for him to get used to it, though, because he hasnít had much experience at the hot corner.

The outfield might be a possibility, too; Hummel runs about average and his arm might stretch out okay, at least enough for left. Bottom-line is that if he hits, theyíll find a place for him. Hummel hit .290-7-63, with 33 Doubles for Double-A Birmingham in his first full pro season. He struck out 69 times and earned 66 walks. When he gets stronger and turns on the ball, you will see more power numbers.

Hummel should spend the 2002 season playing the infield for Triple-A Charlotte. Heíll play it out as a 23 year-old and could be a September call-up.

Hummel gives you all sorts of options....Ill take a good OBP guy any day over a tools speedster with no proven stick(like the lottery with those guys)....The main problem with Hummel isnt Hummel...its that he will replace Ray and thus you most viable leadoff hitter will be gone and Hummel cant fill that role, and even if he could I would like the idea of a rookie as your end-all be-all leading off....granted we have a season to work this problem out and since we tried for Erstad I think KW sees the writing on the wall for Ray

duke of dorwood
01-25-2002, 10:46 PM
Any one remember Bobby Grich? Hummell sounds like Grich at the beginning. He became a very good second baseman, with the same kind of height that Hummel has

RedPinStripes
01-26-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
from TSN:

The team is trying to be patient with outfielder Joe Borchard, but with a gaping hole in center field, the former Stanford quarterback might be headed to the major leagues earlier than expected. Borchard, the team's No. 1 draft pick in 2000, was on track to make the 25-man roster in the spring of 2003.

Even after batting .295 with 27 home runs and a league-leading 98 RBI at Class AA Birmingham last season (his first full year in professional baseball), the team still wanted Borchard to play a full year at Class AAA Charlotte. But with incumbent center fielder Chris Singleton on the trade block, Borchard has moved up the ladder. If he performs well in spring training, he could become the team's opening day starter. . . .

Here is the whole article

BORCH (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/teams/whitesox/)

I am anxious to see Borchard, but I'd rather give him a full season in AAA before he gets rushed to Comiskey. I'd like to see him as a september call up.

kermittheefrog
01-26-2002, 01:58 PM
I like it, I've said it's a good idea. I wanna see Borchard in center. Singleton = bad.

RichH55
01-27-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I like it, I've said it's a good idea. I wanna see Borchard in center. Singleton = bad.

I'd like to see some more time in the minors for Super Joe...though probably not a full year....I'll take my chances with Rowand for now with Chris as the 4th and then start doing my fun with payroll scenarios later on down the line...when you subtract Singleton and Ray's money you can get yourself a nice little player