PDA

View Full Version : Don't look now but our boys are...

Scottiehaswheels
04-24-2006, 03:11 AM
4th in the AL in B.A. and E.R.A. as a team.... Much different from last year when we were almost dead last in B.A. and 2nd or so in E.R.A. At least the B.A. is up....

BTW... Everyone has been talking about juiced balls, etc.... No one I've noticed has commented on how much warmer this April has been compared to past ones.... Perhaps that is the real reason there are more HR, etc.?

doublem23
04-24-2006, 08:31 AM
BTW... Everyone has been talking about juiced balls, etc.... No one I've noticed has commented on how much warmer this April has been compared to past ones.... Perhaps that is the real reason there are more HR, etc.?

That's something that has crossed my mind as well. I don't know how warm its been across the country, but in the Midwest is definitely unseasonably warm and I have to believe that would benefit the hitter.

voodoochile
04-24-2006, 10:44 AM
That's something that has crossed my mind as well. I don't know how warm its been across the country, but in the Midwest is definitely unseasonably warm and I have to believe that would benefit the hitter.

I'm pretty sure the maximum difference that the ball can carry due to warm V cold air is like 3 feet. The density of air just doesn't change that dramatically.

I for one am almost convinced they juiced the ball this year. It is jumping off the bat big time. That Ryan Howard HR was sick - 496 feet. :o: Thing landed in the UD in straight away CF. ***?!?!

Just wait, Thome is going to hit a FG this season. I've been waiting for it since the park opened. This year, it's coming.:D:

Frater Perdurabo
04-24-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm pretty sure the maximum difference that the ball can carry due to warm V cold air is like 3 feet. The density of air just doesn't change that dramatically.

I for one am almost convinced they juiced the ball this year. It is jumping off the bat big time. That Ryan Howard HR was sick - 496 feet. :o: Thing landed in the UD in straight away CF. ***?!?!

Just wait, Thome is going to hit a FG this season. I've been waiting for it since the park opened. This year, it's coming.:D:

It's been warmer and windier than usual in a number of locations - we've already had our first 101-degree day here in Texas. On XM radio, I heard both the Royals and Tigers announcers remark on the warmth and windiness this April.

Didn't Borchard have a 504-foot blast in 2004 or 2005? Yes, the Howard homer was a monster, but not unprecedented.

I think more than a juiced ball, many players are juicing again, but this time on HGH, since the MLB cannot/will not test for it at present. I'm not accusing Thome at all, since he's always been a Midwestern corn-fed beef haus (like Frank Thomas always has been huge). But Giambi is back to his big size.....
:(:

voodoochile
04-24-2006, 11:06 AM
It's been warmer and windier than usual in a number of locations - we've already had our first 101-degree day here in Texas. On XM radio, I heard both the Royals and Tigers announcers remark on the warmth and windiness this April.

Didn't Borchard have a 504-foot blast in 2004 or 2005? Yes, the Howard homer was a monster, but not unprecedented.

I think more than a juiced ball, many players are juicing again, but this time on HGH, since the MLB cannot/will not test for it at present. I'm not accusing Thome at all, since he's always been a Midwestern corn-fed beef haus (like Frank Thomas always has been huge). But Giambi is back to his big size.....

I agree about the juicers just using different juice. I am not delusional about that issue, but to me the ball is just flying. There are how many players on pace to break the record this season? How many teams have players on pace to break the team mark for April and/or the season?

Something else is going on and it wouldn't surprise me if the owners went and created a larger golfball so they can turn around and say "Hey look, the ball is still flying out everywhere, it wasn't the juice after all."

Besides... Chicks dig the long ball...:rolleyes:

PennStater98r
04-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Voodoo:

Air density isn't the issue, is it?

I would think that warmer weather allows for hitters to get more comfortable. They're not wearing additional layers to keep warm and not as cold as the ease into the batters' box.

To me, that would be why more HR are going this year.

voodoochile
04-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Voodoo:

I would think that warmer weather allows for hitters to get more comfortable. They're not wearing additional layers to keep warm and not as cold as the ease into the batters' box.

That's valid, certainly the ability to get and stay loose and not have to wear extra clothing could have an effect, but I still think something else is going on.

SBSoxFan
04-24-2006, 11:17 AM

Maybe the warmer weather just has hitters feeling better --- more loose, hands don't hurt if you get jammed, etc. None of these guys need the extra 3 feet to hit a homer, but the overall affect of the heat may just have the hitters feeling better, both physically and mentally, and, as such, are locked in.

Of course, wouldn't it do the same for the pitchers? Well, the Sox starters don't seem to be having too much of a problem with it. :supernana:

INSox56
04-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah the air temp isn't really the issue. The main reason people give to the "warmer air" balls flying more is because when the air warms up, usually associated with it are winds that blow out in chicago. Winds blowing out = balls flying... moreso than just temperature difference. Across the US though, increases in HRs when the weather warms up is also due to the comfort level mentioned before I would assume.

Randar68
04-24-2006, 01:44 PM
Voodoo:

No, it has to do with the compression ratio of the ball at that temperature...

Ever hit a cold golf ball versus a warm one?

A warm ball compresses at a greater rate, thus increasing the trampoline-effect associated with the impact of the ball and bat.

hawkjt
04-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Most parks are angled to have the south/sw winds blowing out. Warm spring means south/sw winds hence the ball is traveling.

After watching ''60 Minutes'' last nite with the story on HGH being prescribed by doctors in an anti-aging clinic makes me wonder how hard it is for athletes to get a prescription. They need to come up with a test for this stuff.

voodoochile
04-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Most parks are angled to have the south/sw winds blowing out. Warm spring means south/sw winds hence the ball is traveling.

After watching ''60 Minutes'' last nite with the story on HGH being prescribed by doctors in an anti-aging clinic makes me wonder how hard it is for athletes to get a prescription. They need to come up with a test for this stuff.

I remember reading that HGH was being perscribed for aging related issues several years ago, but I thought efficacy testing was proving it to be a Trojan horse. Has that changed?

hawkjt
04-24-2006, 03:17 PM
In this segment on ''60 Minutes'' on this anti-aging this quack doctor in Az was featured as having this 20 million/year practice in this clinic that provides HGH for people ranging in age from 35 -70 years old. They interviewed the patients who were all gung ho- saying how great they felt and their sex lives were spectacular and looked so much better.

As much as congress wanted to make a public display to discourage the use of sterioids by their hearings , this show was an ad for HGH use.

Of course they did go into the fact that it might promote cancer and other ailments but these patients said they might get hit by a bus today also.

I have a feeling Dr. Feelgood who was a spitting image of Jerry Stiller on HGH as he got into his rolls royce will be getting a visit from the feds in short order. You are supposed to have a pituitary ailment to warrant the prescribing of HGH. He said vaguely that he thought their pituitary tests showed sub-standard readings. LOL.

voodoochile
04-24-2006, 04:14 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/19/60minutes/main1512855.shtml

jongarlandlover
04-24-2006, 05:56 PM

I saw that "60 Minutes." It was kind of alarming how these people can just get a prescription for HGH. And plus, that doctor was too...muscley. It was freaky.

Vernam
04-24-2006, 06:09 PM
I think a week ago Ozzie mentioned the warm weather as a cause of the power burst. No word on what Dusty thinks, but we can only assume. :cool:

It's way too early to talk openly about it, but I'm starting to get tingly feelings about where all this is headed. IOW, can we start to use the "D" word before they've won their second championship?

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/TV/9805/28/hartman.snl/farley.jpg

We're talkin' minimum 8-peat. A little word that begins with D, ends in Y, and in the middle is "ynast."

Vernam

MarySwiss
04-24-2006, 06:15 PM
In this segment on ''60 Minutes'' on this anti-aging this quack doctor in Az was featured as having this 20 million/year practice in this clinic that provides HGH for people ranging in age from 35 -70 years old. They interviewed the patients who were all gung ho- saying how great they felt and their sex lives were spectacular and looked so much better.

Didn't see 60 Minutes, hawkjt, and no doubt this is nitpicking, but according to the article on the Web site, the doctor in question practices in Las Vegas, which, last time I looked was in Nevada, not Arizona.

Trav
04-24-2006, 08:44 PM

I'm not accusing Big Jim of anything but he is not like Thomas. Big Frank was always a monster while Thome was a skinny third baseman when he first came up with the Indians.

Taliesinrk
04-24-2006, 08:54 PM

The thing is, it's not just how the temp directly affects how far the ball flies... it's also how it indirectly affects how the ball flies. From guys getting loose to a number of other factors, cold weather will favor pitchers...

Taliesinrk
04-24-2006, 09:00 PM
I have a feeling Dr. Feelgood who was a spitting image of Jerry Stiller on HGH as he got into his rolls royce will be getting a visit from the feds in short order. You are supposed to have a pituitary ailment to warrant the prescribing of HGH. He said vaguely that he thought their pituitary tests showed sub-standard readings. LOL.

The effects of anti-aging have yet to be seen in humans.. we haven't had access and abused it for long enough. People watch.. it will catch up to them. Acromeagly.. look it up. Once the growth plates of bones are closed, and there are still abundant amounts of HGH present, acromeagly results.. it's not pretty if you see pictures. It may help these guys today; but they'll have issues later.. mark my words. Furthermore, I don't even know what kind of effects it'll have on the brain and the pituitary gland.

what goes around comes around.. always has, always will...