PDA

View Full Version : Torii, how many fingers am I holding up?

Fuller_Schettman
04-23-2006, 08:32 PM
I love this post-game quote from Mr. Hunter

"We already knew they upgraded that whole team, close to $100 million in payroll, and it showed this weekend," said Minnesota's Torii Hunter (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5884), who robbed Konerko of a two-run homer to center in the third inning.

The only difference in our lineup from last season was Anderson for Rowand in CF and of coors, Thome for Everett at DH.

And that is upgrading the whole team?? I guess when you get spanked like that 3 games straight, everybody looks like Babe Ruth, eh?

TornLabrum
04-23-2006, 08:41 PM
I love this post-game quote from Mr. Hunter

The only difference in our lineup from last season was Anderson for Rowand in CF and of coors, Thome for Everett at DH.

And that is upgrading the whole team?? I guess when you get spanked like that 3 games straight, everybody looks like Babe Ruth, eh?

Except for the ones who look like Walter Johnson.

batmanZoSo
04-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Now the division whiners can cry about us and our "unfair" revenue advantage leading to much higher payrolls. You can see that starting around the division with various comments on how we've improved since last year.

Unregistered
04-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Check this article:
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/14408082.htm

Here's the new one: The Twins are waiting for the Sox to get "overconfident" before they apparently sneak up on them... :?: :rolleyes:

soxfanatlanta
04-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Check this article:

Here's the new one: The Twins are waiting for the Sox to get "overconfident" before they apparently sneak up on them... :?: :rolleyes:

Yes...brilliant plan.

MarySwiss
04-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Check this article:

Aw, chee! Can the grapes get any more sour? :whiner:

gbergman
04-23-2006, 09:30 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaa

balke
04-23-2006, 09:48 PM
We won by spending 75 Million last season. WHiner.

WhiteSoxFan84
04-23-2006, 09:54 PM
I hated Torii Hunter until 2 weeks ago.

He was on ESPN Radio and he totally went off on the owner for being cheap and not giving the fans/city/team a new stadium and for not spending money on the team itself. He called the Twins' owner the "richest owner in baseball". Is that true? He also went on to say something like, "If I was 85 and I knew I was about to go out soon, I'd be spending my money left and right". Some may take offense to that but he said it jokingily and got his point across.

I like guys that aren't too PC and when they are fed up with **** they open up and let it all out (but keep it as "classy" as possible). Besides, he's got all the pull in Minnesota. If he stays in Minnesota it'll be because they kept him happy, not vice versa.

IlliniSox4Life
04-23-2006, 09:57 PM
I hated Torii Hunter until 2 weeks ago.

I have hated Torii since that play with Burke at the plate. I was at that game and the next, and the crowds reaction everytime Torii did anything in the field or came up to bat was beautiful. I don't think I can ever like him after that.

DickAllen72
04-23-2006, 10:02 PM
I have hated Torii since that play with Burke at the plate.

Torii Hunter would sure look good playing for the White Sox.

Palehose13
04-23-2006, 10:09 PM
To answer your original question...I guess one. The one in the middle. :cool:

Before Toriiiiii is even considered, I would hope that KW talks to AJ for a looooong time to see if he would fit in with the TEAM concept.

Fuller_Schettman
04-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I have hated Torii since that play with Burke at the plate. I was at that game and the next, and the crowds reaction everytime Torii did anything in the field or came up to bat was beautiful. I don't think I can ever like him after that.

I don't hold that against him. You would want our guys taking a shot like that, wouldn't you?

I have a ton of respect for Hunter. Wish he was our CF...

Realist
04-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Torii Hunter would sure look good playing for the White Sox.
You ain't lyin. I love Torii Hunter. He's smart, hard working, a fierce competitor and very talented. He also should have a gold plate with his name on it attached to the top of the outfield walls at the Cell 'cause he owns 'em.

I have nothing against Anderson and hope he'll have a 2006 that he can brag about for years to come, but just imagine this Sox team with Hunter in centerfield. It's mind boggling.

TaylorStSox
04-23-2006, 10:23 PM
I love Hunter's game and would love for him to be on the Sox. That play at the plate was clean. That's just good hard nosed baseball. Hunter always gives his all. There's nothing to hate him for.

IlliniSox4Life
04-23-2006, 10:34 PM
I don't hold that against him. You would want our guys taking a shot like that, wouldn't you?

What I don't get, is if it was such a clean shot, why was Ozzie so pissed at Carlos for not retaliating hard on the breakup of that double play? It doesn't make sense. If a pitcher hits one of your players, but it is an accident, teams let it slide: occasionally a pitch gets away and it happens, just part of the game. If it is intentional though, you retaliate, and stick up for your teammate. If it was a clean play that was just part of baseball, why would Ozzie be so pissed about Carlos not sliding hard into second in retaliation? It looked like a cheap shot to me. He clearly changed direction a little bit and ran into him when he would have been safe without it. It was a cheap shot.

itsnotrequired
04-23-2006, 10:38 PM
What I don't get, is if it was such a clean shot, why was Ozzie so pissed at Carlos for not retaliating hard on the breakup of that double play? It doesn't make sense. If a pitcher hits one of your players, but it is an accident, teams let it slide: occasionally a pitch gets away and it happens, just part of the game. If it is intentional though, you retaliate, and stick up for your teammate. If it was a clean play that was just part of baseball, why would Ozzie be so pissed about Carlos not sliding hard into second in retaliation? It looked like a cheap shot to me. He clearly changed direction a little bit and ran into him when he would have been safe without it. It was a cheap shot.
Yep. I still feel it was a cheap shot. Boone slammed into AJ pretty in the second or third game of this season. Now that was a clean play.

Or maybe revenge from last season when AJ stomped on his back rounding third.:cool:

Fuller_Schettman
04-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Ozzie was right to require a retaliation. That is part of the game too. I don't think Torii's hit was a cheap shot, just good hard baseball. BUT, you have to consider the implications of such a hit. Ozzie did and wanted to send a message. Unfortunately, it never got sent...

TaylorStSox
04-23-2006, 10:45 PM

It's part of the game. Pitcher's retaliate when their guys are hit, even unintentionally. Basically, whether it's intentional or not, you let the other team know that you're not going to take it.

ws05champs
04-23-2006, 10:52 PM

The play against Burke was technically not dirty as far as the MLB goes, yet it was unnecessary and "unsportsman like," much like roughing the quarterback is.

IlliniSox4Life
04-23-2006, 10:54 PM
It's part of the game. Pitcher's retaliate when their guys are hit, even unintentionally. Basically, whether it's intentional or not, you let the other team know that you're not going to take it.

Should we start retaliating when Torii, or any other player for that matter, robs us of a home run like he did to Paulie today? I mean, that's just part of the game, but shouldn't we let them know we aren't going to take it?

WhiteSoxFan84
04-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Almost all Sox fans hated Albert Belle until he put on the SOX, black and white hat.
Almost all Sox fans hated Jose Canseco until he put on the SOX, black and white hat.
Almost all Sox fans hated David Wells until he put on the SOX, black and white hat.
Almost all Sox fans hated Carl Everett until he put on the SOX, black and white hat.
Almost all Sox fans hated AJ Pierzynski until he put on the SOX, black and white hat.
Almost all Sox fans hated Jim Thome until he put on the SOX, black and white hat.
Almost all Sox fans hated Tori Hunter until he put on the SOX, black and white hat?

And for whoever asked if Tori would fit in the White Sox clubhouse, what has he done to prove otherwise? He's a grinder, he hits for average, hits for power, and can run very well. Oh yeh, I also heard something about him being the best centerfielder in baseball. He also gets along with almost every Sox player already. In an interview a year or two ago he talked about how the players on both sides don't hate each other and actually are all good friends for the most part.

balke
04-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Almost all Sox fans hated Albert Belle until he put on the SOX, black and white hat.
Almost all Sox fans hated Jose Canseco until he put on the SOX, black and white hat.
Almost all Sox fans hated David Wells until he put on the SOX, black and white hat.
Almost all Sox fans hated Carl Everett until he put on the SOX, black and white hat.
Almost all Sox fans hated AJ Pierzynski until he put on the SOX, black and white hat.
Almost all Sox fans hated Jim Thome until he put on the SOX, black and white hat.
Almost all Sox fans hated Tori Hunter until he put on the SOX, black and white hat?

And for whoever asked if Tori would fit in the White Sox clubhouse, what has he done to prove otherwise? He's a grinder, he hits for average, hits for power, and can run very well. Oh yeh, I also heard something about him being the best centerfielder in baseball. He also gets along with almost every Sox player already. In an interview a year or two ago he talked about how the players on both sides don't hate each other and actually are all good friends for the most part.

I just vomited a little in my mouth. Torii Hunter is way too cocky for my taste, he can go to New York or L.A. when his contract is up. I couldn't stomach a full season of this media darling.

Ol' No. 2
04-23-2006, 11:39 PM

And for whoever asked if Tori would fit in the White Sox clubhouse, what has he done to prove otherwise? He's a grinder, he hits for average, hits for power, and can run very well. Oh yeh, I also heard something about him being the best centerfielder in baseball. He also gets along with almost every Sox player already. In an interview a year or two ago he talked about how the players on both sides don't hate each other and actually are all good friends for the most part.He hits for average, all right. Unfortunately, it's a low average. His career year is .289 and he's had exactly TWO years above .275. He strikes out a ton, doesn't walk much and has only one year with a SLG above .480. With a bat you'd be much better off with Aaron Rowand. Hunter is there for defense. Period.

He's not long for Minnesota. I'd rather he gets overpaid somewhere else. Not here.

TaylorStSox
04-23-2006, 11:51 PM
He hits for average, all right. Unfortunately, it's a low average. His career year is .289 and he's had exactly TWO years above .275. He strikes out a ton, doesn't walk much and has only one year with a SLG above .480. With a bat you'd be much better off with Aaron Rowand. Hunter is there for defense. Period.

He's not long for Minnesota. I'd rather he gets overpaid somewhere else. Not here.

LoL. Number 2... I'd say we usually agree on most things. Are you seriously trying to say that Rowand's a better offensive player than Hunter? Hunter's not great with the bat, but he has 4 legit tools, excluding hitting for average. Sure, he's way overpaid, but Hunter's average year isn't all that much different than Rowand's career year. The only 2 years Rowand's had more than 400 AB's he's walked less and K'd at a higher rate.

I agree though, both are defensive players first. The difference is that Hunter's better. For the value, I'd rather have Rowand. But, Hunter's a better player, a more clutch player, and a higher impact player.

TheOldRoman
04-23-2006, 11:53 PM

:o:
Hits for average? Maybe compared to Jose Valentin. His career average is .267, and he is coming off a stellar .269.

He does have decent power - he usually puts up something in the mid 20s. Anderson could do that. He will be able to at least match Hunter's power numbers in his prime.
As for being the best centerfielder in baseball, no, he is not Andruw Jones. He isn't even close to Jones as an all around player. Hunter is a good player, but he is extremely overrated. He is making probably 5 times what he is worth.

I am of the belief that Brian Anderson will be able to hit .267, 20-25 homers, and play gold glove caliber defense throught his career. Hunter may be a "grinder", but for the $10.75 million he is making this year, the Twins can keep him. I might sign him for $3mil a year, but anything higher than that and I will stick with Anderson.

Jjav829
04-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Check this article:

You just wait, man. We're gonna get 20 games up on the Twins and start thinking they are done and then they're gonna coming storming back led by....Tony Batista and....Nike Punto and....Ruben Sierra... :roflmao: I can't continue. Look at those names. They have Tony Batista! :roflmao:

RadioheadRocks
04-24-2006, 12:01 AM
Every time I hear Torii Hunter, I think about that SNL skit from about 10 or so years ago with "Tori Spelling" chatting to the camera from "her bedroom" (and also off-camera to her "daddy" Aaron Spelling):

"Daddy, can I have a pearl necklace?" "Absolutely Tori!"

"Daddy, can I have my own fragrance?" "Absolutely Tori!" :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2006, 12:02 AM
You just wait, man. We're gonna get 20 games up on the Twins and start thinking they are done and then they're gonna coming storming back led by....Tony Batista and....Nike Punto and....Ruben Sierra... :roflmao: I can't continue. Look at those names. They have Tony Batista! :roflmao:You forgot Ron "DL" White.

TheOldRoman
04-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Besides the fact that Hunter is overrated and a cocky prick, I don't want him on my team because he has a woman's name. Let the Twins keep the Shannons and Toriis and Heathers and whatnot. The White Sox don't need a guy with a girl name.

Before anyone says something, Robin Ventura does not have a girl's name. Robin was Batman's sidekick. And don't let the tights fool you because he was all man.:D:

Ol' No. 2
04-24-2006, 12:08 AM
LoL. Number 2... I'd say we usually agree on most things. Are you seriously trying to say that Rowand's a better offensive player than Hunter? Hunter's not great with the bat, but he has 4 legit tools, excluding hitting for average. Sure, he's way overpaid, but Hunter's average year isn't all that much different than Rowand's career year. The only 2 years Rowand's had more than 400 AB's he's walked less and K'd at a higher rate.

I agree though, both are defensive players first. The difference is that Hunter's better. For the value, I'd rather have Rowand. But, Hunter's a better player, a more clutch player, and a higher impact player.Well, let's look at the actual numbers, shall we?

BA: Hunter, .266, Rowand, .285
OBP: Hunter, .320, Rowand, .338
SLG: Hunter, .459, Rowand, .452
AB/K: Hunter, 5.02, Rowand, 5.33

Do I need to go on?

TaylorStSox
04-24-2006, 12:33 AM
Well, let's look at the actual numbers, shall we?

BA: Hunter, .266, Rowand, .285
OBP: Hunter, .320, Rowand, .338
SLG: Hunter, .459, Rowand, .452
AB/K: Hunter, 5.02, Rowand, 5.33

Do I need to go on?

Thanks for reinforcing my point. :tongue:

balke
04-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Hunter hits into an amazing amount of DP's for a guy who's "Speedy". His offense has always been a bit overrated. Great glove though. Big mouth, big showboat. I'd hate having this guy on the local news every night running his mouth about some other team in the division. Like he does in this article, and at least 5 times throughout the season.

SoxSpeed22
04-24-2006, 01:14 AM
I'm sure his going away thread, after he leaves for an NL team, will almost be like the thread with Sosa going to Baltimore. St. Louis would make the most sense, because they are very old in the outfield and have a lot of patchwork at that position and could use a guy like him.