PDA

View Full Version : Tigers quietly move into second

HomeFish
04-23-2006, 06:11 PM
Detroit is at 12-7, just 1.5 GB and has just completed a 3-game sweep of Seattle.

I hope the Mariners lie down for us too.

Unregistered
04-23-2006, 06:15 PM
They were in second yesterday, too. I'm not worried about Detroit - just staring at how many games back the Jndians are...

Chisox003
04-23-2006, 06:19 PM
They're in 2nd today.

They'll be in 2nd tomorrow.

They'll be in 2nd (or worse) 5 months from now.

As long as we're in 1st, I couldn't care less what is happening behind us.

Optipessimism
04-23-2006, 06:29 PM
I think the Kittens are just off to a good start, but if they remain decent the whole year I think it will just prove that the AL Central is the best division in baseball. Even the Twins, with their pitching, would finish better than 4th in any division except maybe the AL East.

soxwon
04-23-2006, 07:13 PM
I personally think it will be a runaway.
This sox team is so unbelievable.
Better than last year.

balke
04-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Tigers are better than Indians IMO.

Maroth, Rogers, and Bonderman with a strong bullpen and great hitters. Tigers aren't going anywhere for a while.

Baby Fisk
04-23-2006, 07:17 PM
I personally think it will be a runaway.
This sox team is so unbelievable.
Better than last year.
Hear, hear, reverend! :bandance:

beckett21
04-23-2006, 08:08 PM
The Tigers are a mirage. Talk to me if they are still in contention in June.

The only team in the division that marginally concerns me is Cleveland, and they don't have enough pitching to keep up pace with the Sox. Detroit will fold like a cheap tent. Mark my words. They are a .500 club IMO. Maroth is not going to maintain an 0.46 ERA, and Bonderman is overrated IMHO. Those guys still have a lot to prove to me before I consider them legitimate contenders.

The Tigers may surpass the Twins, but they are not better than the Indians. Not yet. Not even close.

santo=dorf
04-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Detroit is at 12-7, just 1.5 GB and has just completed a 3-game sweep of Seattle.

Otherwise the Sox will have no chance of beating the Mariners. :(:

:whocares about divisional leads at this point of the season?

Have you already bailed on your 2006 division winning champion Twins and replaced them with the Tigers? :?:

TheOldRoman
04-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Otherwise the Sox will have no chance of beating the Mariners. :(:

:whocares about divisional leads at this point of the season?

Have you already bailed on your 2006 division winning champion Twins and replaced them with the Tigers? :?:
I hope we haven't seen the last of first place this season. A lot can happen on an 8 game roadtrip.
:rolleyes:

A. Cavatica
04-23-2006, 09:28 PM
The Tigers' fast start surprised me -- I thought they'd be awful as usual, but I have great respect for Jimmy Leyland, and I like several of their kid pitchers. Consistency will do them in, but they could reach .500 this year.

balke
04-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Mike Maroth Lost like 20 games a couple seasons ago. Do you know how good you have to be pitching to lose 20 games? That means he wasn't pulled. He and Bonderman have seen a lot in their young careers. With Rogers there as the veteran, I see that pitching staff surprising a lot of people. They'll get a lot of rest with that bullpen as well.

beckett21
04-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Mike Maroth Lost like 20 games a couple seasons ago. Do you know how good you have to be pitching to lose 20 games?

I rest my case. Thank you. Which side were you on again? :redneck

All kidding aside, they have some nice young arms over there. Verlander will probably end up being the best of the bunch. They have a lot of potential. However, it is just that--potential--until proven otherwise.

Detroit is an up and coming team, and I also have a lot of respect for Leyland. They have yet to prove they can sustain success though. We'll see.

I personally see the division shaping up the following way:

SOX
Indians
Twins/Tigers pick 'em
Royals

I think that the Tigers and Twins will fight it out for third, with all of the other slots pretty much locked in.

elrod
04-23-2006, 11:48 PM
We just swept the Tigers in Detroit. It wasn't even close. Now they go on a roll against some hapless AL West teams. Unlike us, they aren't jinxed on the West Coast. They have a better opponent in LA this week, and then they get the Twinkies. By that point we'll see how good they are.

Jjav829
04-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Meanwhile the Royals have now won two in a row...http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4081&stc=1&d=1142826449

QCIASOXFAN
04-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Their sneaking up on us! Although I believe the Tigers pose zero threat to us, I think that they got much better coaching than last year bringing in Jim Leyland and Gene Lamont. They also got Rogers and Bonderman who are pretty good and lots of good offense. I am not very surprised to see them in 2nd place.

balke
04-23-2006, 11:57 PM
I rest my case. Thank you. Which side were you on again? :redneck

All kidding aside, they have some nice young arms over there. Verlander will probably end up being the best of the bunch. They have a lot of potential. However, it is just that--potential--until proven otherwise.
I hope you understand though, to lose that many games that means he had to be pitching well. Otherwise they'd pull him and bring in the Pen. They lost a lot of games due to poor defense, no hitting, and no bullpen. Maroth might win 15+ games this season, which would be good if Bonderman can return to good form, and Rogers has a year like he was having last season. I'm always keeping an eye on the Tigers just in case they sneak up on the division. I think they are a much better team than the Twins, and they have the chance to challenge Cleveland for 2nd in the division.

Railsplitter
04-24-2006, 09:29 AM
They're in 2nd today.

They'll be in 2nd tomorrow.

They'll be in 2nd (or worse) 5 months from now.

As long as we're in 1st, I couldn't care less what is happening behind us.

Exactly. When you're first, all you have to do is win.

doublem23
04-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Meanwhile the Royals have now won two in a row...http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4081&stc=1&d=1142826449

:hawk
I luuuuuuuuuv that smilie.

scottjanssens
04-24-2006, 09:59 AM

They'd have to be standing first.

batmanZoSo
04-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Yawwwwwwwwwwwn. It's funny how the Tigers have that impressive record, but against us they looked completely overmatched. They may stay reasonably close, but when it's time to play head to head, we'll see again who the contenders and pretenders are--and that's us and them respectively. :cool:

spiffie
04-24-2006, 10:45 AM
The Tigers are going to have a nice year. They may get over .500 and they are building for the future. But this is not their year. The pitching still needs to mature and they need another bat or two before they can seriously look at the 90-win mark as realistic. For now though it's good to see a franchise that had been so awful finally starting to get the ship righted.

munchman33
04-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we sweep the Tigers?

I swear, some people just reach for things to worry about.

Corlose 15
04-25-2006, 02:28 AM
I hope you understand though, to lose that many games that means he had to be pitching well. Otherwise they'd pull him and bring in the Pen. They lost a lot of games due to poor defense, no hitting, and no bullpen.

What? Maroth lost that many games because he pitched like ****, not because he was pitching well. That whole team was awful. He went 9-21 with a 5.73 ERA. The only reason he wasn't replaced was because they had no one to replace him. And yes they did bring in the pen after him, and it was usally with him behind in the game. Its not like he was a hard luck 20 game loser, he sucked.

Mr. White Sox
04-25-2006, 03:09 AM
The biggest risk to the Tigers (and hell, to mostly every MLB team aside from Chicago!) is their lack of pitching depth and questionable bullpen. Joel Zumaya = Rookie. Fernando Rodney = hittable. Todd Jones = Injured. Couple that with an aging Kenny Rogers, Magglio's injury risks and Shelton's soon-to-come regression, and you'll have a troubled team unless everything goes right for them. Of course, everything went right for the Sox in '05, so I'm not counting them out.

BNLSox
04-26-2006, 02:13 AM
The Tigers have definately spent enough money on free agents and given enough time at the bigs for their younger players and pitchers to come of age. However they are still a very injury prone group that lacks depth and does not match up well against us. While they if healthy could put a run together and challenge perhaps for the wildcard, this team is built to fold. They would need everything in the world to work out for them and a lot of bad luck to come our way for them to even be within striking distance post all star break.

Steelrod
04-26-2006, 06:15 AM
No team goes under the radar after what we did last year. They have the potential to be a problem for lots of teams. Luck is always a part of it.
The best team, all things considered, will win it. I believe the wild card will also come out of our division, and it should be an exciting 3 team race. I am a lot more comfortable and a lot less nervous then last year. This is gonna be fun!

soxfanatlanta
04-26-2006, 07:17 AM
What is most suprising to me is the fact that they are 11-3 on the road; pretty good for a young staff (sans Rogers). You have to give Leyland and his staff kudos for the job they are doing. I agree that they will cool off and fall in back in the standings, but .500 is not out of the question. It's good to see baseball back in Detroit.

HomeFish
04-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim take 2 out of 3 from the Tigers. If we win tonight, we can have a 2.5 game cushion going into dreaded California.

santo=dorf
04-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim take 2 out of 3 from the Tigers. If we win tonight, we can have a 2.5 game cushion going into dreaded California.
You mean the same place where we won the ****in' pennant? :o:

PaleHoseGeorge
04-26-2006, 05:29 PM
LOL! It's a shame the Sox can't sweep everyone in the division simultaneously every single day, all season long. Nothing less will ever stop HomeFish from wetting his pants worried over this stuff.

:darkcloud:

soxwon
04-26-2006, 06:09 PM

jerko truck driver cub fan said today:
we'll see after you guys get done with det kc and minn
how good you are WHEN you play a good team.
A.L. Central sucks!!!

California Sox
04-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Los Tigres fell to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim OC California USA World today 4-0. 2 hit shutout for John Lackey, who I am very glad to say we will not be facing this weekend.

HomeFish
04-26-2006, 07:13 PM

That is like the only time we have played well in Anaheim over the past few years.

RKMeibalane
04-26-2006, 07:36 PM
That is like the only time we have played well in Anaheim over the past few years.

And? Has it occurred to you that the Sox may have finally figured out how to win on the West Coast because of what happened last season? Honestly, HomeFish, why are you a Sox fan?

This team will be fine. The only way they could ever lose the division is by beating themselves. None of the other teams in the AL Central are good enough to beat them, and for that matter, none of the remaining teams in the American League are good enough.

Even the best teams lose between sixty and seventy games each season. Try not to let every little thing stress you out.

HomeFish
04-26-2006, 09:30 PM
And? Has it occurred to you that the Sox may have finally figured out how to win on the West Coast because of what happened last season?

One event does not make a trend. The Sox still struggled out west in the regular season and before. We'll see what happens in Anaheim and, more importantly, what happens in Oakland this season.

Honestly, HomeFish, why are you a Sox fan?

I derive great pleasure from the Sox winning, and great displeasure from them losing.

Tigerclaw
04-27-2006, 01:30 AM
Hello all,

If you couldn't tell by my username, I am a Tigers fan. A good friend of mine from Chicago pointed me to this site a few years ago and I have lurked on here since then. I just want to start out by mentioning how classy I think this website is and the members that make up this community. Although the White Sox are a divisional rival, I rooted for them down the stretch and in the playoffs last year. What an incredible year the White Sox had last year.

I would like to say from here how exciting it is to be a Tigers fan this year so far. It has been a long 13 years since the Tigers have even had a team over .500 and it finally seems like this year's team has the talent and a coaching staff with a winning attitude to make a run this year. While most Tigers fans are still a bit skeptical of this team because of our recent history, I will admit that it has a different feel than even the team that had a decent april 2 years ago. This team has the talent to compete if given some luck.

Luck is a key component in turning a team with potential into a team that performs well. Not many outside of Chicago (and I'll assume even many in Chicago thought this as well) figured that the Sox rotation would be as good as it turned out to be. Buehrle and Garcia were known commodities, but Garland and Contreares were pitchers that, while talented, had been nothing better than league average pitchers at best. They certainly turned out to be a surprise. Not many could have predicted that Podsednik would bounce back from a bad year in milwaukee and play well enough (to the point of providing a spark) to make Carlos Lee's departure not sting very much. Not many knew what to expect from Iguchi (considering that some japanese players i.e. kaz matsui disappoint). All of those scenarios plus some luck in one run games turned out well and the sox got off to a good start...surprised many and kept it going.

From reading many posts in this thread it seems that many dismiss the Tigers, perhaps due to their inept past, perhaps because, much like the sox last year, the team has potential and needs some luck to be good. The Tigers need their players to stay healthy and will go as far as their pitching goes (much like the sox did last year). Rogers is a big upgrade over Jason Johnson...Bonderman can be a top starter if he can progress like Garland did last year (he posses Ace talent and has improved every year...if he can take another step this year he could win 18 games), and more consistency from Maroth and Robertson (they appear to be learning a lot from Rogers and very well could have big years), and Verlander is surpassing most expectations so far for a rookie that only has 131 minor league innings coming into this year. The Tigers bullpen is very good and looks to be a strong point this year. Their lineup, if healthy, should be able to hold it's own against Chicago and Clevelands as long as everyone is healthy.

My point is...with the fact that a lot of things went right for the White Sox last year...why couldn't it happen to the Tigers this year? If many of the same things that happened to the sox last year happen to the Tigers this year, which from the start it is looking like it's possible, than why are many of you guys dismissing this team when many of you were upset when other fans and analysts said the same things about the sox last april? The Tigers very well could fall off and fight to be a .500 team at some point, maybe even soon, but they have a lot of elements that are similar to last year's white sox team. I'm surprised that a fan base that watched their team come from under the radar would dismiss another team so quickly that could do the same.

I have a lot of respect for what the White Sox did last year and see the potential for the Tigers to have a similar season if they get some breaks. I think this division will be close between Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit and do not see the white sox running away with the division. I think that believing that the white sox are largely superior due to a 3 game sweep is foolish (especially with 16 games left), just as I would be foolish to believe that the Tigers are superior than the sox because they have played better against common opponents so far (KC, Cleveland, Seattle). There is a lot of baseball left to be played and as you all know from last year....anything can happen.

p.s. I hope I didn't come off as a troll. I really like this website and enjoy reading all of your posts. I saw this Tigers thread and thought it would be interesting to add some insight as a fan of the team in this thread topic. I will be going to the Cell in August to see these two teams play and I am looking forward to going there as I always have a good time. Good luck sox fans and here's to a great baseball season! :cheers:

Tigerclaw
04-27-2006, 01:32 AM
P.P.S I apologize for such a long post :smile:

munchman33
04-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Hello all,

If you couldn't tell by my username, I am a Tigers fan. A good friend of mine from Chicago pointed me to this site a few years ago and I have lurked on here since then. I just want to start out by mentioning how classy I think this website is and the members that make up this community. Although the White Sox are a divisional rival, I rooted for them down the stretch and in the playoffs last year. What an incredible year the White Sox had last year.

I would like to say from here how exciting it is to be a Tigers fan this year so far. It has been a long 13 years since the Tigers have even had a team over .500 and it finally seems like this year's team has the talent and a coaching staff with a winning attitude to make a run this year. While most Tigers fans are still a bit skeptical of this team because of our recent history, I will admit that it has a different feel than even the team that had a decent april 2 years ago. This team has the talent to compete if given some luck.

Luck is a key component in turning a team with potential into a team that performs well. Not many outside of Chicago (and I'll assume even many in Chicago thought this as well) figured that the Sox rotation would be as good as it turned out to be. Buehrle and Garcia were known commodities, but Garland and Contreares were pitchers that, while talented, had been nothing better than league average pitchers at best. They certainly turned out to be a surprise. Not many could have predicted that Podsednik would bounce back from a bad year in milwaukee and play well enough (to the point of providing a spark) to make Carlos Lee's departure not sting very much. Not many knew what to expect from Iguchi (considering that some japanese players i.e. kaz matsui disappoint). All of those scenarios plus some luck in one run games turned out well and the sox got off to a good start...surprised many and kept it going.

From reading many posts in this thread it seems that many dismiss the Tigers, perhaps due to their inept past, perhaps because, much like the sox last year, the team has potential and needs some luck to be good. The Tigers need their players to stay healthy and will go as far as their pitching goes (much like the sox did last year). Rogers is a big upgrade over Jason Johnson...Bonderman can be a top starter if he can progress like Garland did last year (he posses Ace talent and has improved every year...if he can take another step this year he could win 18 games), and more consistency from Maroth and Robertson (they appear to be learning a lot from Rogers and very well could have big years), and Verlander is surpassing most expectations so far for a rookie that only has 131 minor league innings coming into this year. The Tigers bullpen is very good and looks to be a strong point this year. Their lineup, if healthy, should be able to hold it's own against Chicago and Clevelands as long as everyone is healthy.

My point is...with the fact that a lot of things went right for the White Sox last year...why couldn't it happen to the Tigers this year? If many of the same things that happened to the sox last year happen to the Tigers this year, which from the start it is looking like it's possible, than why are many of you guys dismissing this team when many of you were upset when other fans and analysts said the same things about the sox last april? The Tigers very well could fall off and fight to be a .500 team at some point, maybe even soon, but they have a lot of elements that are similar to last year's white sox team. I'm surprised that a fan base that watched their team come from under the radar would dismiss another team so quickly that could do the same.

I have a lot of respect for what the White Sox did last year and see the potential for the Tigers to have a similar season if they get some breaks. I think this division will be close between Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit and do not see the white sox running away with the division. I think that believing that the white sox are largely superior due to a 3 game sweep is foolish (especially with 16 games left), just as I would be foolish to believe that the Tigers are superior than the sox because they have played better against common opponents so far (KC, Cleveland, Seattle). There is a lot of baseball left to be played and as you all know from last year....anything can happen.

p.s. I hope I didn't come off as a troll. I really like this website and enjoy reading all of your posts. I saw this Tigers thread and thought it would be interesting to add some insight as a fan of the team in this thread topic. I will be going to the Cell in August to see these two teams play and I am looking forward to going there as I always have a good time. Good luck sox fans and here's to a great baseball season! :cheers:

Hey Welcome!

I'm sorry, but not many are going to share your enthusiasm about the Tigers. They may be improved, but pitching wins championships. And right now, the Tigers don't have a single pitcher that would crack the White Sox staff. The Sox might not run away with the division, but its very hard to believe that the Tiger's are going to be the reason. There'd have to be more than just "luck." There'd have to be a series of trades landing the Tigers at least two aces. And then they'd need luck.

MUsoxfan
04-27-2006, 02:08 AM

I'd like to welcome you to the board and your post isn't trollish at all.

The main reason why most of us are ready to dismiss the Tigers is that 1) They haven't done anything for many, many years. 2) Most of us see the world through black and silver glasses. We like the fact that we're World Champs and hate the thought that anyone can dethrone us, especially in our own division.

However, the Tigers are looking fantastic compared to a few years ago and in my opinion they have nowhere to go besides up. If anyone comes out of nowhere to beat us I'd personally rather it be the Tigers than the Twinkies or Injuns.

Tigerclaw
04-27-2006, 02:18 AM
Hey Welcome!

I'm sorry, but not many are going to share your enthusiasm about the Tigers. They may be improved, but pitching wins championships. And right now, the Tigers don't have a single pitcher that would crack the White Sox staff. The Sox might not run away with the division, but its very hard to believe that the Tiger's are going to be the reason. There'd have to be more than just "luck." There'd have to be a series of trades landing the Tigers at least two aces. And then they'd need luck.

Thank you for the welcome. I understand that not many around here will think much of the Tigers around here. However, I do believe that you are underrating the Tiger's rotation. The White Sox had two pitchers last year improve beyond expectations. A few of the Tigers starters this year (Rogers, Bonderman) would have cracked the Sox's rotation last year at the beginning of the year but not now because of what the sox's rotation ended up doing. As of right now the Tigers have the top ERA in the AL and have as many quality starts as the White Sox have. While I don't expect the Tigers to keep pace all season, I do expect enough improvement in the rotation this year that they could have the second best rotation in the division. At the end of this year their might be a Tiger or two in the rotation that could crack the Sox's rotation. If it happened for the Sox why couldn't it happen to the Tigers?

Tigerclaw
04-27-2006, 02:34 AM
I'd like to welcome you to the board and your post isn't trollish at all.

The main reason why most of us are ready to dismiss the Tigers is that 1) They haven't done anything for many, many years. 2) Most of us see the world through black and silver glasses. We like the fact that we're World Champs and hate the thought that anyone can dethrone us, especially in our own division.

However, the Tigers are looking fantastic compared to a few years ago and in my opinion they have nowhere to go besides up. If anyone comes out of nowhere to beat us I'd personally rather it be the Tigers than the Twinkies or Injuns.

Thank you for the welcome. I completely understand your points. As a passionate fan of the Tigers it is difficult to look objectively at other teams. It is clear to me that the Sox are the team to beat and are even better this year than last. I do believe however that the Tigers have enough talent to at least be in the wild card hunt if some of their young pitchers continue to step up and they stay healthy. The Tigers do have a lot to prove though still, especially to their fans.

HomeFish
04-29-2006, 12:58 PM
If the current series is any indication, the Tigers do not only own the Twins, they also have the sole right to distribute them in 19 countries and the European Union.

santo=dorf
04-29-2006, 01:09 PM
If the current series is any indication, the Tigers do not only own the Twins, they also have the sole right to distribute them in 19 countries and the European Union.
Wanna change your AL Central predictions? Or are you just going to switch "Twins" with 'Tigers?" :rolleyes:

voodoochile
04-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Thank you for the welcome. I completely understand your points. As a passionate fan of the Tigers it is difficult to look objectively at other teams. It is clear to me that the Sox are the team to beat and are even better this year than last. I do believe however that the Tigers have enough talent to at least be in the wild card hunt if some of their young pitchers continue to step up and they stay healthy. The Tigers do have a lot to prove though still, especially to their fans.

I've been saying it for a while, the Tigers will finish second in the ALC...

Scottiehaswheels
04-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Speaking of the Tigs... They're busy handing the Twins their ****** right now.... 13-1 in the 6th

PaleHoseGeorge
04-29-2006, 02:02 PM

Hey HomeFish, do you realize the Sox have been playing games for nearly a month now AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T ELMINATED
ANYBODY?
How many times have you crapped your pants?

I'm nominating HomeFish as the LAMEST Sox Fan to ever live... assuming he even is one, which I seriously doubt.

Scottiehaswheels
04-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Hey HomeFish, do you realize the Sox have been playing games for nearly a month now AND THEY STILL HAVEN'T ELMINATED
ANYBODY?
Well I think they eliminated the Royals when they won one game..... :cool:

santo=dorf
04-29-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm nominating HomeFish as the LAMEST Sox Fan to ever live... assuming he even is one, which I seriously doubt.
He claims he's been cub-free since 1998.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-29-2006, 02:46 PM
He claims he's been cub-free since 1998.

Who said anything about the Cubs? He's the LAMEST Sox Fan ever -- assuming he even is one, which I seriously doubt.

Corlose 15
04-29-2006, 02:51 PM
The Tigers are up 18-1 over Minnesota in the bottom with the 8th with 2 on and 1 out.

I not sure whether to wonder if the Tigers are that good or if the Twins are that bad. Considering the Twins have been playing like **** for a week now, I'll say its the latter.

santo=dorf
04-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Who said anything about the Cubs? He's the LAMEST Sox Fan ever -- assuming he even is one, which I seriously doubt.
Well I was just showing a possible connection.

Homefish = :crossdresser ?

PaleHoseGeorge
04-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Well I was just showing a possible connection.

Homefish = :crossdresser ?

That's an insult to Cubs fans. Cubs fans might be stupid, but they aren't LAME. HomeFish is LAME. Somebody has to be in second-place. Everybody here but the LAME understand this.

HomeFish is LAME. The LAMEST ever. A Sox Fan? I seriously doubt it.

Jjav829
04-29-2006, 03:02 PM
No Homefish post should be complete without this guy -----> http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4081&stc=1&d=1142826449

Is there a way to make that like the official Homefish logo? :D:

Tigerclaw
04-29-2006, 05:15 PM
The Tigers are up 18-1 over Minnesota in the bottom with the 8th with 2 on and 1 out.

I not sure whether to wonder if the Tigers are that good or if the Twins are that bad. Considering the Twins have been playing like **** for a week now, I'll say its the latter.

The Tigers have played great baseball for over a week now so I'll say it's both. 27 runs scored to 1 given up in 2 games...that will help the pythagorean standings...:smile:

TDog
04-29-2006, 05:26 PM
It won't be long before people stop talking about the Twins as contenders and start taking the Tigers seriously.

Not that people always know what they're talking about, but the Tigers do seemed poised to make it a three-team race with the Twinks and Royals watching from a distance.

Chisox003
04-29-2006, 05:37 PM
It won't be long before people stop talking about the Twins as contenders and start taking the Tigers seriously.

Not that people always know what they're talking about, but the Tigers do seemed poised to make it a three-team race with the Twinks and Royals watching from a distance.
I think the Tigers are better than the Indians, quite honestly.

Come summer, I'm willing to bet they're our main competition.

Only with us pulling away come August, of course. :cool:

Scottiehaswheels
04-29-2006, 05:47 PM
if only I could bump up some of those *Official* You predict..... threads.....

viagracat
04-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Tigers just won 18-1 yesterday and got 23 hits...:o:

gobears1987
04-30-2006, 11:33 AM
It will be funny when the Tigers crash and burn. I think they will do what the O's did last year after a hot start. In a few years though, the Tigers will be a force to be reckoned with.

gobears1987
04-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Tigers just won 18-1 yesterday and got 23 hits...:o:Yeah, but the Twinkies have sucked this year. We beat them pretty bad when we were facing their best pitchers.

soxwon
04-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey Welcome!

right now id take BONDERMAN over Garland !!!!

Scottiehaswheels
04-30-2006, 01:50 PM
God the Twins suck.... Kenny Rogers is in the 8th tossing a one hitter Tigs up 6-0

SOX ADDICT '73
04-30-2006, 03:20 PM
The Tigers are beginning to remind me of last year's Twins - the Sox kept winning and winning, and yet Minnesota sat squarely in their rear view mirror (just 4 games back as late as mid-June) before they started to fade. Frustrating as that was, I was consoled by the thought of Twins fans saying, "We keep winning and winning, and still can't gain any ground on these guys!"

So, instead of soiling your britches when you see 18 runs and 23 hits, consider that the Tigers are possibly off to their best start since '84, and are still stuck 1.5 games out of first.

TomBradley72
04-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Top 2 records in the AL are in the Central...with the Tribe within a game or so of the 3rd best record. If the Tigers stay healthy....I'd expect them to be in it past the All Star break...but I don't think the starting rotation will hold up for 162 games.

Steelrod
05-01-2006, 04:28 AM
The Tigers are beginning to remind me of last year's Twins - the Sox kept winning and winning, and yet Minnesota sat squarely in their rear view mirror (just 4 games back as late as mid-June) before they started to fade. Frustrating as that was, I was consoled by the thought of Twins fans saying, "We keep winning and winning, and still can't gain any ground on these guys!"

So, instead of soiling your britches when you see 18 runs and 23 hits, consider that the Tigers are possibly off to their best start since '84, and are still stuck 1.5 games out of first.
I couldn't have put it better!

Realist
05-01-2006, 05:55 AM
I've been saying since before the season started that the Tigers scare me more than the Indians. The Tigers remind me of the 2005 White Sox in a lot of ways.

There's plenty of baseball to be played. Let's see what happens.

Steelrod
05-01-2006, 07:34 AM
I've been saying since before the season started that the Tigers scare me more than the Indians. The Tigers remind me of the 2005 White Sox in a lot of ways.

Makes sense. Tigers are wild animals, native americans are dealers!
These Tigers however are from Detroit. I still believe that they will faulter and Cleveland is our competition, but who know. Just relax and enjoy it. Remember , we are the World Champions!

voodoochile
05-01-2006, 07:40 AM

The Tigers don't strike me as a scrappy win or die trying ball club. Their pitching isn't nearly as good and they are slugging the crap out of the ball.

If anything they remind me of the 2000 White Sox.

Baby Fisk
05-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Is there a way to make that like the official Homefish logo?

That should definitely the official Homefish icon. He dreads for the sake of dread.

The Tigers swept the Twins! EEEEEEK!http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4081&stc=1&d=1142826449

Tragg
05-01-2006, 08:37 AM
The Twinks in 2001 were a complete turnaround; so were we in 2000 and 1990. The Tigers will last as long as their pitching holds up. I think they do have more pitching than, say, that KC team of a few years back (that we finished ahead of in the end).
It does look like the Twins will be in that 70 win range for a few years while Ryan builds them back up.

spiffie
05-01-2006, 12:58 PM
The Tigers have too much talent to "crash and burn" as some posters here predict. But then some people here would not be surprised if everyone in baseball went 0-162 and the Sox went 4698-0 (not counting postseason).

They aren't going to win the division barring some serious injuries or some insane pickups at midseason (I'm talking they somehow trade Jeremy Bonderman for A-Rod, Jeter, Sheffield, Giambi, Johnson, Mussina and Rivera). But this team is going to play hard all year, Jim Leyland will keep them focused, and they will win 82-85 games. The key is for us to dominate them as we did first time through. Let those 82-85 wins come against the other teams in our division. But seriously, people seem to get offended for saying any team but ours is any good at all. They are a decent team. Couple breaks go the right way they could finish second. They might even beat us once this year!

Meixner007
05-01-2006, 01:43 PM
The Twinks in 2001 were a complete turnaround; so were we in 2000 and 1990. The Tigers will last as long as their pitching holds up. I think they do have more pitching than, say, that KC team of a few years back (that we finished ahead of in the end).
It does look like the Twins will be in that 70 win range for a few years while Ryan builds them back up.

The division winners the previous years were nothing special IIRC...mainly a product of a good team, not great, in a weak division.